Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
hkhm

Moon of Small Spirits

Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine.

Very foresty, green and lovely. The pine note is on top. This reminds me a bit of all the lab's famous wintery pine scents, except without a really strong frozen note. Instead, the back drop for the pine is soft and herbal; definitely green but softened by something. I'm not terribly familiar with some of the ingredients, so I am having a hard time picking out individual notes. There is something floral smelling in there that nicely compliments the herbal background.

This is very nice and nature - y. I like it!

Gentle, herbal and grassy wildness with a snowy woods note. I pick up the clover for some sweetness. Chilly and slightly camphorous. Very natural smelling. Lovely decant...

Decant: green and evergreen

Wet on Me: soooo lovely so far. I get evergreen with the pine and juniper, but green with the tea, clover and grass and sage making this a deep green plant scent trip

Drying down: green and clean but not soapy clean. Just fresh green forest.

Dry: I am in love with this Green. Keeping the decant. Just gorgeous on me.

Smells like coca-cola! I know it's weird but I can't describe this as anything else. Massive staying power though!

Bottle: Snow, sage, juniper.

Wet: Sage, juniper, hint of berries.

Drydown: Smoothly blended snowy piney mix. Unfortunately, there is a note of something in here that is scratching the back of my throat...

Dry: Something very cool and creamy.

My rating: 3/5

I remember wanting this moon because I loved the description, the silver foxes. Of course, I needed something with silver foxes. But I also didn't think I really needed the scent, because I have several snow scents. Still, I've been wanting to try it ever since, and finally got some...

And it is nice, but not a "must have" (or so I thought initially). It is very chilly and very much in the group of BPAL "snow" scents, and of course I have Snow Moon, which I love, which pretty much takes care of my "snow" needs (though I also have a couple of others, Knecht Ruprecht, Skadi, etc). The juniper is clear in this and either it or the pine has a slightly citrus smell which is true of the "snow" scents. There is something else in here, though, that is quite compelling. Sage? Maybe a white sage? Rosehip? I don't get copal at all. Anyway, I actually do kind of like this....will need to compare it side by side with Snow Moon....

Actually, it gets better. It gets more complex and spicy, which is really nice. And something slightly sweet and floral comes out too, making this much more complex. Someone said snow on the plains, and that makes sense to me.

Hmmm....I wonder if I will have to track down a bottle after all?

Sniffed: Green and lush, in a sweet grassy/foresty way. Somewhat like flowers amidst fresh grass and leaves.

On skin: This is quite a complex blend and I'm not familiar with many notes, but I can sum this up in one word: Green. It's fresh, lush and cool -- there's a hint of pine but it's mostly fresh grasses and verdant flowers, with a slight touch of sweet water and something darker and mellow that may be the woods and copal. A beautiful, light, fresh herbal-floral-green blend. Colour impression is rich emerald.

Verdict: Moon of Small Spirits was a real sleeper hit: I didn't think much of it initially, but after trying and being disappointed by other green blends (mostly of the evergreen and mint varieties), I rediscovered this one and fell in love. I think a bottle is in store...

Beautiful, crisp snow, juniper and pine. It has mysterious undertones, very much like the forest in Mononoke Hime that an earlier reviewer compared it to...

This very nearly was sent to a massive eBay destash. I am so glad I took the chance to retest this as I adore it!

Bought a lovely bottle of Moon of Small Spirits from stellans un-sniffed. Oh so very glad that I did. Received the package today and couldn't resist trying this on right away.

First off I don't know all the notes listed for this blend, but I can definitely smell sage, cedar, and pine. Thought for a second this was going to go all pine-sol on me but I was so wrong. Moon of Small Spirits is so beautiful! With dry down this reminds me of an abnormally warm day in winter where you have enough time to cut the grass before a fresh bout of snow falls on the same day. Pure love! Can't stop sniffing my wrist <3333.

Edit 1/27: Got my first BPAL compliment wearing this today :D! :wub2:

Edited by MadameFaye84

In the bottle and on my skin, fresh, I was really worried. I definitely got the pine and snow, but it was sharp and astringent. Now 20 minutes later it's dried down to a softer, sweet grass. It's staying extremely close to the skin (I might need to retest with more oil) but what I smell, I like. Definitely dried grass and herbs. I'd love it if the tea would come out to play more.

In the bottle it's cold and snowey with hints of coca-cola, nice and herby. On me it's pretty similar, sweet, clean, cold, herby and just AMAZING. Fresh and piney. A beautiful green and foresty scent. Makes me think of Fall and Winter.

(Hard to believe this bottle is six years old...and that I never reviewed it!)

Bottle: Pine, snow, and a little bit of cedar.

On: Like most of Beth's snow/pine blends, this one remains pretty true on my skin. It's soft and a little bit sweet. This smells like a log cabin at night in a quiet, snowy forest, where the moon is out and everything is sparkling and silent. Pretty.

Later: The grassy notes amp up a little over time, making this different from some of the otherwise comparable Yule blends. It's a dry grass, though, sweet and little spicy, like hay. With the woods it's almost cologne-y (in a good way!) sometimes... I feel like I catch a different facet of this every time I sniff.

The throw on this is super low on me (less than 3 inches), and it's fading fast - my skin seems to be eating it. :( I'll have to try this on my husband, or in a scent locket, before I make a final decision.

ooh moon of small spirits is nice. i am not always a fan of the bpal snow note, but it's well-used and very subtle here and really evokes the sense of a frost-covered wilderness at night. it's not as grassy as i would like but i love the way all the different plant notes work together and it all just smells so good.

I have no idea how half of these notes smell like, but I will do my best to make a review anyway :D

This starts off as a snowy, slushy outdoors scent. The sage is quite prominent. There is something sweet peeking out from underneath, and it might be the mysterious "swamp tea" mentioned?

There is a teensy touch of berries, but aside from this I am not sure I can identify any of the notes.

It is a very fresh scent and fits the concept very well - it is kind of like being in the forest from Princess Mononoke with all the little white forest spirits milling about your feet.

The scent does turn sweeter and less outdoorsy as it dries.

I quite like it :)

Bringing some joy to my days by reviewing my hoard of oils during isolation... 

Day 12: moon of small spirits

First on: fresh with a citrusy sweetness underneath (probably the juniper)... there is a hint of berry...

Dry and settled: herbaceous greenery with berry. The lab’s slushy snow note is there making things slightly aquatic/wet.

I think I would have loved this without the berry aspect, but it dominates on me and I prefer more interesting, complex scents.

In the bottle: Greenery and a hint of the Lab's snow note. There's something almost damp and aquatic about this greenery -- to me it's evocative of damp late-winter nights when it's too warm for snow, but there's chilly rain falling. On my skin, the cedar and elderberry notes amp up -- the end result is slightly spicy woods and berries. Overall, I like this better in the bottle than I do on my skin.