Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
anastasia

saffron

I don't have too many of them, but I do like No. 93 Engine:Beeswax candles reflect flickering light onto a brass-coated boiler engraved with the words "Solve Et Coagula". The gargantuan boiler sends torrents of steam into rigid pipes that exert force onto innumerable pistons and turbine blades. The motion is harnessed to propel energy into gargantuan cogs and gears that move liquid metals, herbs, and resins into a series of alembics.

Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage.

I think because saffron is not in the beginning ingredients, has frankincense, beeswax and the rest of the herbs which help keep the smell of the saffron down.

My favorite saffron scents range from hard to impossible to find more of these days - Love's Philosophy and Monster Bait Underpants. Saffron can be a little sharp to my nose, but I love the way that it helps balance both of these scents which could be way too sweet and creamy without it. I don't know what I would think of a vanilla-saffron combo in my food, but I love it in my perfume!

The saffron note really seems to make Baghdad shine, too. I think it makes it something much more special than the average rose-sandalwood type of perfume.

Vanilla-saffron is delicious in food :-)

My favorite saffron is aged Bastet. Fresh, it just kind of makes me smell like marzipan, but as it ages, the almond calms down and the saffron comes out.

Okay, well, what in the general catalog, or retail available scents is going to give me the biggest slap in the face with saffron? Because I rreeeaaalllly think I need it!

It isn't a scent that worked out for me, but I find Scherezade to have a really strong saffron note!

I've tried all three of the Salons that contain saffron (And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt, Cleopatra Testing Poisons, Lot and His Daughters) and in my experience, none were especially saffron-y. Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't beautiful, or that someone else might get more saffron from them! I adore Great Cry, but it's more of a spicy red-musk resin blend on me with no distinct saffron scent - the other two didn't work very well because of various notes so I've long since sent them to new homes, but Cleopatra was a green, almondy scent (really interesting, just not me) without notable saffron. I don't remember much about Lot except that it was very heavy on me, I didn't write anything down about it =)

If you are tempted, I really do recommend that people try as many Salons as they can, treat themselves to imp packs from the Lab (the imps are always easy to swap or sell if you don't love them), etc. - the whole category seems to have a feel of its own. It's like the perfumes themselves are a little more "formal" than many of the regular GC creations but there are many, many gorgeous scents! And every time I've had an experience where I have tried several new ones at a time, my predictions about which ones I will love and which will not work at all are terrible. :P That's why I think the imp packs from the Lab are fun, but I understand that's a big cash layout for most of us, especially with the lousy economy.

Thanks ivyandpeony,

So far I have only gifted the salons. I do seem to have the mojo for that but don't know about the accuracy of my salon purchasing abilities for myself. I do have every intention of diving into the salons though. I am an artist and so the visual concept is completely motivational for me. As far as the saffron goes, I just have a bug for it now. Ironically the salons I have been drawn to do have it in them so I still have high hopes. Oblivion is a leeeeetle sweet for me even though I really like it and Scherezade has some aspect that reminds me of my childhood and creeps me out. I am hoping that Monsterbait Underpants comes back some day!!!

SaneAsYouAre, I never thought of that and it totally made me laugh. Now I have an added dimension to my pursuit of the right saffron for me. I love those episodes!!!

I can't describe saffron because I don't understand it yet which is part of why I have the obsession right now. This happens to me with a fragrance sometimes and then after I wear it a lot for a while it stops being obscure and becomes a scent that I can call up the details to from memory. I think that it is warm and sweet and a little bit sharp and feral smelling all at the same time. I don't understand it in food either because it can be in pastries I think but also savory dishes and of course, rice. I do love paella.

Anyone have what is to them an accurate description of saffron?

If it's saffron you're looking for, try to hunt down a decant of Sol Invictus:

"A radiant blend of solar oils: golden amber, saffron, heliotrope, hibiscus, citron, frangipani, frankincense, tangerine, mock orange, and orange blossom"

I get a crazy dark orange saffron smell. Not floral. Not resiny. Just orange-saffron. Lots of saffron.

Bumping this thread to add Celeste - mmmmm - and seconding Oblivion. :) Love Saffron!

resurrecting this thread because i realized recently how much i love saffron. it does amazing things

some faves are tonka bean and saffron duet, celeste, kimi ga da wei, mors syphilitica, love's philopsophy, grooming scene in a brothel, very grievous murraine, luke 10:25-37, crimson, lacus odii, qandisa, some strangeness in the proportion.

Monk (Sandalwood incense, ti leaf, and honeyed saffron) is one of my favorite saffron perfumes! Even though Drow Yoga Instructor (wild plum, indigo lavender, and a tranquil tendril of sandalwood incense) doesn't have saffron listed as a note, I find it somewhat similar to Monk and others have compared it to Love's Philosophy, so maybe it has a touch of saffron too. I adore Drow Yoga Instructor as well. 

Edited by feyofthefellwood

Sign in to follow this