Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RaeiNarcissus

I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain

Spongy grey and pink cake, with sweet strawberry cream, giddy carnation, and electrical pulses of white grapefruit.

In the bottle this is fantastic but it is another scent that smells just like strawberry lip gloss on me after it dries down. Sigh.

Yum, yum, yum! This is sort of like Monsterbait: biggerCritter without the jasmine and colliding with Beaver Moon 2007. The strawberry and the grapefruit are absolutely fabulous together and the sweet buttercream cake beneath them just rounds this off into something I want to eat! This is fluffy and refreshing from the citrus of the grapefruit. I get almost no carnation (and I love BPAL's carnation note) and after a couple hours of wear, I am starting to get a lovely vanilla cake scent on my skin. I'm thinking I may need another bottle of this one because it's fabulous! Also must mention that I love the little BPAL cloth baggies that my order from Dark Delicacies came in. Very cute!

Cake notes are sometimes scary for me. But I can't resist the name or the concept! Here we go...

Smells like... well, moist cake for me initially (contains a good helping of vanilla!), and a few seconds afterward a very realistic strawberries and cream note oozes out. Drool. The citrus isn't very strong but it brightens things up a little, which I like. And the carnations make things a tiny bit spicy, in its floral way. This is quite pink :D and not too cloyingly sweet.

I love the strawberries and cream part. The cakiness never overwhelms me and things become mostly strawberry milk and a carnation of the same color.

My skin often does this funny thing to cake notes (or maybe I just don't appreciate the "cake impression" quite enough? I can't tell if it's a plasticky or stale twinge or if it reminds me of the actual cake crumb texture, I can never figure it out...) and now I actually am interpreting it as gray sponge cake. :P That I find interesting in itself.

I'm glad I got to try this, I like. :D

Starts out as a light fluffy cake and slowly becomes more of a creamy strawberry. The carnation of doom seems to be behaving on me here. I get the merest hint of grapefruit on top of it all. The strawberry note is a lot like that in Sticky Pillowcase! Nice, but it's a little too plastic/artificial on me in the long run and I think the decant will suffice.

This smells very familiar to me, but I can't put my finger on it. Eat me? No?

Don't get too much strawberry and no grapefruit. Mostly just a cakey scent.

Cute label; I can practically hear the theremin in my head!

In bottle: cake

On skin: strawberry blast, then lots of mushy cake

Half-hour later: still strawberry & cake, but fading fast

In conclusion: this reminds me of Pink Phoenix with extra floofy cake. I love the strawberry note and wish the blend hung around more, especially when Pink Phoenix in comparison lasts forever on me.

wet: This smells like yummy strawberry cake with hints of grapefruit!

Drydown: :ugh: my skin hates this! It smells like the sweet plasticky fake strawberry flavoring from a Strawberry Shortcake Doll.

Final Drydown: Nasty strawberry flavoring with hints of warm cake :blink:

Not a fan!

n vial: sweet, foody, candy-ish

wet: smells like vanilla cake with a hint orange rind. Now it is morphing into something that smells more like gingerbread.

dry: drys fast and the verdict is gingerbread! with a hint of lemon in the background. Just when I had decided and thought it was finished, it changes again and this time it smells like the promised strawberry cream.

Imp: OMG Strawberry frosting and cake way too sweet

Wet on Me: more cake. I smell like a bakery. Too much sugar

Drying Down: Strawberry frosting. No carnation no grapefruit.

Dry: okay I tried this. It does confirm why I’m not so much for the foody type scents. In the past few years when I smell too much ‘sugar’ it tends to make me queasy. So we don’t bake a lot of sweets in our home or I don’t hang out in bakeries. The upside is the loss of sweet tooth is good for diet. Bad side…a girlie with out her sweets? I’m sure this is awesome for the foody types out there.

In the bottle:Cake, carnation and grapefruit

Wet:Soft melty cakes with great wodges of sweet strawberry icing. The grapefruit is gorgeous, cutting through the uber sweetness to make it refreshing and cakey at once. it makes me think of making grapefruit cake instead of lemon.

Dry:Mainly soft, clovey carnation.

It is blended so exquisitely that nothing dominates - I get all aspects of the blend and it is lovely! The name is wonderful and the label is my favourite so far. It caused quite a stir when I opened it on Christmas Day thanks to surreptitious purchasing by my husband.

In the bottle -> This smells like strawberry cake, pure and simple, and it is delicious!

Wet -> The strawberry note starts coming out more. It's almost a green strawberry... I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but there is definitely a slight green/herbal note here.

After a while -> NO! Where did my strawberry cake go?? It's as if my luscious strawberry cake has transformed into a plastic image of itself.

In the imp: Sugary white cake with strawberry icing.

Fresh on the skin: Fake berries and cake, very pink, very sweet, but with the occasional whiff of something less cloying -- maybe the grapefruit.

5 minutes later: I like this more than I like some cake scents, but it's still a bit plasticky on me, though that effect is ameliorated quite a bit by the other notes, which give it a streak of reshness and complexity.

10 minutes later: I keep catching the thread of grapefruit on the sillage, and it's delightful. But the scent as a whole, I'm still up in the air about. It does have that little ickyness that cake seems to produce on my skin, and yet.

20 minutes later: Crap. I think the ick is winning. :(

30 minutes later: It's not terrible, but not great.

1 hour later: Icky plastic cake. Mrph.

5 hours later: This has faded to a sort of plasticky berry, which isn't that bad, actually.

6 hours later: Fuzzy-thick-light sweetness.

13 hours later: Basically gone, maybe a little tiny bit of sweet left.

Verdict: Okay, okay, no more cake. I get it. Geez.

One Word: Sugar.

On me, Floating Brain is 100% cake with no strawberry or grapefruit. It's the same white cake note that's in Huesos de Santo (yay!), but it's lacking a certain creaminess that Huesos has. I like this, but it's really light and I wish I could smell some of the fruit. As much as it pains me to diss cake, I think Floating Brain is a bit boring on me.

3/5

Bottle: Extremely foody sweet cakey scent. I also get a waft of spice out of this in the bottle…almost like a gingerbread is mixed in with the cake and citrus. The cake/citrus, by the way, reminds me of the Teenage Cannibal scent.

Wet: Same as bottle-- A very tasty, fruit soaked cake with a hint of spiciness (I guess that’s from the carntation). Very reminiscient of the citrusy foody Teenage cannibal, perhaps mixed with a cotton candy/midway vibe. I don’t really pick out the strawberry, but maybe that’s what is giving it the pink cotton candy feel. Its really delicious and nummy!

Dry: Sadly, only about 5 minutes in, the badness starts. :cry: I am getting wafts of a synthetic/burny plastic. I sometimes have this trouble with the foody/creamy/sugary/cakey scents, and sometimes they’re fine. I still don’t know which note or combo of notes does this to me. But sadly, that note is here. And it is not liking my skin, and my nose is not liking this one bit. It takes 4-5 hours for the synth to fade away, and then its back to a lovely gingerbready cake and cotton candy scent.

Overall: The wet and bottle scents were promising and nom-worthy, as was the late dry down. Sadly, the rest of this perfumes lifespan (on my skin) is more like melted, flaming plastic poured over delicious spicy citrus and cotton candy cake. The bad phase lasted far to long on me to make this a viable perfume option.. *is sad* I’ll find this a better home.

In the bottle this smells like Tangy (this may be the grapefruit) Strawberry Vanilla Buttercream. Once it's on the skin, it morphs into Strawberry Shortcake. Very nice, but not sure if I am going to keep this one.

GAH! On me, this totally smells like Monsterbait: Closet, only more strawberry. With Closet, I get a very 'strawberry' like scent and rich creamy cake with icing.

This is strawberries and icing and cake. And while I get the tinge of strawberry lip gloss, it's still mighty tasty.

Mmmm. Once my Closet is gone, now I know what to pick up!

First of all....I am in LOVE with the theme of these oils :D

First sniff out of the bottle is a strawberry sponge cake. As I rub it into my skin I smell a sweet cakey scent with strawberries and the faint hint of something spicy in the background. My first impression of this is "super foody!" but as it dries, it spices up (must be the carnation) and the grapefruit settles in as a gentle, citrus background note. Very pretty! This has a weak throw on me but lasts a really long time on my skin. The grapefruit (as always) fades completley after about 30 minutes leaving a sweet, gently fruity spicy scent. This is fun, quirky and pretty. Love it!

two words: CAKE BATTER!!!

this is not the scent of cake. this is the scent of cake BATTER - specifically, cherry/strawberry chip cake batter. i love it. LOVE IT!

i am not a big fan of cake, unless it is in liquid form. i always liked the batter more than the finished product. this is my beloved batter in wearable form. every time i smell it, i want to run down to the grocery store, pick up a box of aforementioned flavor cake mix, whip some up and eat it like pudding.

i am most definitely NOT a foodie scent person. i've got my sugar skulls and eggnogs, and i picked up Huesos more for the concept than the scent. beaver moon smells like old sour cheesecake on me, gluttony is disgusting, eat me- BLEAH. i like the 07 carnation-y pink moon far better than the fruity one. but this.....this is heavenly. i will just sniff it randomly, or put it on over whatever i've already got on just for a hit of that battery goodness.

this was the surprise hit for me out of all the DD b-movies and x-mas scents, and i'm really glad i was able to swap for a bottle.

on me this smells like cap'n crunch crunch berries!

i'm still undecided whether this is a good or bad thing...however, it does make me hungry ;)

I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain

In the bottle: strawberry creamy cake with just a hint of grapefruit.

Wet on skin: stronger grapefruit now, but also stronger sweet creamy strawberry.

Dry on skin: whoa, grapefruit! There’s a lot of it and it adds an interesting bitter slant to what is otherwise a very sweet scent. I like that. The sweet pink cake underneath is so yummy. This also reminds me strongly of BiggerCritters, the exact same blend of grapefruit and vanilla, but with cake and fruit instead of flowers.

After a while: now the grapefruit has retreated a little, and the strawberry takes it’s place. Unfortunately, this strawberry seems to be going a little odd on me. it’s doing the same thing as it did in Pink Moon 05, which is that it is turning very tangy, and also oversweet. It’s a strange thing, how something can smell so sharp and yet also too sweet. However, that lovely spongy cake underneath is so appealing that it seems to balance out the strawberry. I love Beth’s cake notes, and the pink cake in here is no exception. There’s something to the scent which reminds me of scented dolls-but not an outright plastic smell like I get with some scents, but it smells like strawberry-scented dolls.

The strawberry gets stronger and sharper. Eventually this becomes less cake-scented and more like strawberry sweets, or lollipops. This then turns into something very similar to Pink Moon 05, only this doesn’t have that odd ‘burning’ scent I got from PM05. It does have the sharp strawberry and carnation blend though. There are hints of cake to it and it does remind me of Beaver Moon 07, one of the few strawberry scents I can wear, that creamy berry-vanilla (only this is a little drier), but then the sharpness returns. The scent then turns back to cake.

Verdict: strawberry is tricky-sometimes it works, sometimes not. I’ve come to the conclusion that though I love carnation notes, somehow the combination of strawberry and carnation doesn’t work on me (with the exception of 2008’s Pumpkin V). This has the most wonderful cake scent to it, it smells very much like those fairy cake mix sets from my childhood-the cake mix was pink, and it came with pink icing and little rice paper circles printed with Disney characters. This smells like those fairy cakes. Maybe a little bit more strawberry buttercream added. The grapefruit initially adds a tart scent which counters the sweetness. But sadly the strawberry here does funny things on me, turning to that acidic yet cloying scent that I don’t like. That’s the only thing that stops me from truly enjoying this scent. I prefer Beaver Moon 07 and White Choc Strawberry for sweet creamy strawberry.

Emoticon rating: :huh:

Is it a keeper? I’ll keep an imp’s worth...

If you like this, try: White Chocolate and Strawberry, Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal, Beaver Moon 07, Pink Moon 05, Monster Bait Bigger Critters

I was lucky enough to be gifted a decant of this from my Winter SW. :wub:

It is definitely VERY cakey. I can only detect a hint of strawberry. This smells very similar to Huesos de Santo to me.

Gorgeous! :P

I may as well review this, since it's my namesake. :P

Neyahala gifted me with a bottle of this for X-Mas last year. I was ecstatic, because when she told me about it, the name grabbed me right away. I'm not even into B-Horror films, but it sounded awesome!

In the bottle...whoa. To me, it smells über-creamy...it's berry-y and cake-y and I definetly get a zap of that grapefruit.

On me...I defiently pick up on the grapefruit, but it's not overwhelming to me. I can also pick up the carnation in its lovely giddiness. The cakes are there, with the strawberry cream oozing on top of them.

This scent wears for a good while on me, and it eventually winds down to strawberry. It KIND of reminds me of the Strawberry Shortcake strawberry someone else had mentioned, but not in a bad way to me. I do love this scent...I'm glad that Neya was kind enough to buy me a bottle, and I feel SO fortunate to have found backups! This is such a giddy and yummy scent...!

i finally caved and decided i had to try this since someone whose opinion i trust really loves it. that being said, i can't stand grapefruit or carnation, so i'm still very much afeared.

sniffed from the bottle: sweet strawberry-cream and something bitter and green.

on skin: the bitter-green scent briefly morphs into something that smells almost like Graveyard Dirt (!)

on skin, once it settles in: headache-inducing plasticky strawberry and still something that smells bitter.

Now this is a weird blend. In the bottle I don't think I like it. It's too - dirty. Maybe the "grey" cake the description mentions. (Interesting note, my Sida-cat smelled the bottle and immediately after sat down to wash herself frantically - maybe it smelled dirty on her, too? :lol:)

After a little while on my skin the dirty greyness fades away and now I can smell the pink cake, the strawberries! I can't exactly smell the grapefuit but I can smell a lightness to the strawberry that I don't usually get, so I think that's it.

Dry it smells like bright strawberries, a splash of the almost-but-not-quite-grapefruit and cream. I'm very glad I got a bottle of this!

Preconceptions: I was a little worried about this one because of the strawberries. The strawberries in White Chocolate and Strawberry went plastic immediately on me and I'm hoping this doesn't do the same thing.

In the bottle: Strawberries and cream! yum yum!!

Wet on my skin: a little more cakey now. Cake covered in strawberry cream! :yum: No plastic here...

Dry: more of the same. Delicious. Fades a bit quickly though... oh well... *slather, slather*