Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RaeiNarcissus

Invasion of the Flesh-Eating Reindeer from Uranus

Trampled gingerbread cookies, scattered rum balls, and indestructible, rock-hard fruitcake and a gargantuan squirt of musk.

Invasion of the Flesh-Eating Reindeers from Uranus - This smells like spicy gingerbread cookies with a bit of musk. It's the perfect Yule scent. However, I don't like wearing cookie scents on my skin, so this is one for the oil burner. I didn't test it last year in time for the Yule season, but I'm saving it now to use later on this year so my home smells amazing during the cold, Yule season. :)

In the bottle: gingerbread with a touch of vanilla? I think those must be the rum balls.

Wet: More gingerbread, but with a warmer base. Whatever that higher note I smelled in the bottle is, it doesn't show up on my skin.

Drydown: Still gingery. This one stays very true to the original wet scent. Despite the strong gingery smell, it doesn't really smell overly foody. I think the musk must be acting in this to take it away from being horrifically sweet into something that is really quite wearable. This to me is definitely a wintery scent.

Verdict: I think I like my musks tamed with spices rather than florals. I don't love super foody scents, and I still love this. In fact, normally I wouldn't bother reviewing a scent that already has plenty of reviews, but I liked this one so much I couldn't resist. :) This one is a keeper!

I've had this one a while and only just got round to trying it yesterday. Starting to have the too many scents, not enough time problem.

In the bottle: Gingerbread

Wet: Gingerbread with a hint of musk

Dry: Gingerbread, marzipan, moist boozy fruitcake (I love that cake note) and a smoky musk. The musk keeps it from being too sweet and really adds depth to this one. Foody but grown up and complex.

I've had this one a while and only just got round to trying it yesterday. Starting to have the too many scents, not enough time problem.

In the bottle: Gingerbread

Wet: Gingerbread with a hint of musk

Dry: Gingerbread, marzipan, moist boozy fruitcake (I love that cake note) and a smoky musk. The musk keeps it from being too sweet and really adds depth to this one. Foody but grown up and complex.

totally agree with this review! This is grown up sexy gingerbread and I love the undertone of musk! There is a hint of spicy and booze and great throw...LOVING this one!

In the bottle, this smells of boozy rum balls, nutmeg, allspice and gingerbread dough prior to cooking; it makes me think of people mixing up Christmas sweets (plum pudding, rum balls and gingerbread) a week or two prior to Christmas - it's amazing! After putting it on my skin, it changes and softens somehow, turning into boozy, previously baked gingerbread with all of the usual Christmas spices in the background. After a few hours it smells like a soft gingerbread, somewhere off in the distance - the musk is making itself felt by its rounding and softening of the gingerbread scent, which has become sweet, soft and rather subtle... yet still delicious - and I smell like Christmas goodies!

As a workmate walked past, a short time after putting it on, she commented that it "smells like ginger!"

Foody without being overkill. This is a favorite of mine!

All I smell is gingerbread, but the musk tones it down to be super wear-able. The scent didn't change at all from the bottle to my skin to dry... Odd! It smells delicious though, and I'm really excited about this one!

Origin:

5mL from Dark Delicacies.

Preconceived notions:

I'll just say it up front. I got this because of the name. It made me laugh and I'm an unrepentent lover of really bad horror/sci-fi movies. I don't necessarily have high expectations for it, although some of the notes are good ones for me. Not all of them, though. Fruitcake? I really, really don't want to smell like fruitcake. That's the most concerning thing here, everything else seems like it could work.

First sniff:

Ooh, this smells good. It's like a cross between Gingerbread Poppet and Villainess' Gingerbread. It's nice and rich and spicy with a moistness to it. How can a perfume oil smell moist? I have absolutely no idea, but this does. It doesn't smell like crisp cookies, it smells like rich, moisy, chewy gingerbread with an emphasis on the spices. I don't smell any musk or fruitcake here. Rum is hard to say. Could be, but rum often smells a bit spicy to me, so it could be getting masked by the gingerbread scent.

Wet on skin:

Same as in the bottle, but maybe a little bit sweeter and more candied smelling. Kind of like if you took that same moist gingerbread and dipped it in maraschino cherries, but without the cherry scent. It has that sweet, syrupiness to it without being over the top or cloying. I really like this is a lot. It's pretty similar to Gingerbread Poppet on me, but sweeter and gooier smelling.

Dry down:

This goes through some stages when it's drying down on me. At first, when the oil actually dries, it's very similar to the wet stage only with just a little bit of candied fruit smell. It has to be the fruitcake making an appearance, but I actually like it. It's just fruity enough to give this some depth (and keep it from being too much of a Gingerbread Poppet clone). It has a very rich smell to it and it's very realistic, not like the cheap gingerbread candles you see popping up around the holidays. This is the smell of a kitchen where someone's been marathon baking all day to prepare for holiday guests, with maybe a slug sip or two of rum along the way to help ease their frazzled nerves.

Then, once the drydown has been going on for several hours, it turns musky but still spicy. In the end, it leaves me with a gentle musk (white musk, maybe; it reminds me of Oison but without the herbal notes) and soft, gingery spice scent that's surprisingly pretty. You really need to put your nose up close to it at this point to get a whiff, but it's a nice surprise when you do.

The bottom line:

I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised. This has an awesomely hilarious name and a really nice, wearable scent. I don't think the difference is big enough between this and Gingerbread Poppet for me to justify getting a second bottle (since I already have 2 GP's in my stash), but if I didn't already have plenty of gingerbread smelliness in my BPAL box, I'd definitely grab another bottle. In fact, I still might...it's tempting, although I know I don't "need" it. :blush2:

ETA: Not only did I go for the second bottle of Flesh-Eating Reindeer in spite of telling myself repeatedly that I didn't need it, I went for another 2 on top of that. Yes, I now own 4 bottles and I :heart: it. :blush2:

Edited by Penance

Three words: spicy gingerbread fruitcake. This is like Gingerbread Poppet and Fruitcake smashed together into one glorious foody holiday scent. It's spicy but in a warm and pleasant way, more like a cozy kitchen with gingerbread baking rather than gun-toting cinnamon. I was skeptical about this at first because I feared some kind of rancid animal-nether-parts musk, but I don't get anything weird from whatever type of musk is in here.

Edited by Invidiana

Very gingerbread-like at first, and a little bit of fruit. It's not nearly as WHOA GINGERBREAD as Gingerbread Poppet -- the musk and other notes kind of soften it up and make it more complex. I like it, but it doesn't really last very long on me. Plus I've been wearing Gingerbread Poppet for years, and it seems like whenever I'm in the mood for that sort of scent, I just automatically go to that one.

I'll admit, the description makes this sound like it'd be cloyingly horrid. I mean, it really does. XD

HOWEVER. In the bottle, it's pretty much gingerbread cookies, as people say. On me, however, it mellows into something very ginger but definitely not foodlike. It's warm, musky, spicy, and gingery... but without all the squashed sugar that the description would imply.

To be entirely honest... if you wanted to know what the old, now-impossible-to-get Shub-Niggurath was like, this is pretty darn close. The catalog one lacks the spicy depth of the LE, and this is as much an echo of Old Shub as I think it's possible to get.

Overall, while it's definitely not something one would wear in the warm months, it's a wonderful warm spice/musk blend that's going on my win list in short order.

For a flesh eating reindeer, this scent is perfect! It's warm, sweet, and spicy. I think I'm getting some musk which I think is giving me the impression of warmth. The ginger here is excellent. I can't stop sniffing this ultra comforting scent and to think that I was waffling for so long about ordering it or not ordering it. DD is also superb with getting the orders shipped fast. I ordered on Friday and got it on Monday. If you weren't sure about trying the reindeer and you like warm, musky, spicy scent, you really need to try this. :D

This smells fantastic. It's a true musk-based perfume without smelling skanky or dirty. It's a gingerbread perfume that doesn't smell foody. It's the perfect balance between a heavy, grown-up perfume and a playful, girlish gormand scent. It's pervasive and faintly sweet, but very grounded and warm. It's strong, yet subtle. This is the first BPAL perfume in a long time that has really, really impressed me.

In the bottle, this is a lovely gingerbread with a bit of musk and maybe a bit of rum. On my skin, it's musky, spicy gingerbread. Mmm. Definitely a keeper.

I have to admit i heard the name and that is smells like gingerbread cookie and i had to have it....but i think i had bought it alone for the name ;)

Wet in the bottle: I took one sniff and also its march now i felt imidiately christmassy :thud: Its not only rum and gingerbread. its like bottled christmas. Spicey bakery and yummy hot alcoholic beverages which are extra sweet because thats just the way christmas has to be.

Wet one my skin: Pretty much the same

Drydown: EY the Reindeer is biting me :eek: The cinnamon burns my skin quite a bit but what else to expect from a flesheating reindeer?! ;)

Dry on my skin: the fruitiness now plays in. its a bit as if grandma now had served the fruitpunch with a big shot of rum to go with all the christmas sweets

Lasting Time: My skin seems a bit special. everything lasts very long on me. a normal perfume lasts a whole day scentwise.sometimes even over night until the next shower. a cream too. and a shower gel or soap from lush lasts some hours on me.

This one lasted probably a good 12 hours on me before i only got the scent when i pressed the nose close to my skin. its a nice lastingtime but nothing compared to voyers amongs the cherry blossom which i still could smell from a distance after 30!! hours

Final thoughts: I am totally smitten! after the firt try i imidiately searched for a backup bottle so i dont run out for a long time. i will probably wear a complete bottle empty around next christmas :wub2:

I was searching everywhere for a perfume that goes with my favorite christmas lush things (BOB soap, Gloegg, Hot toddy, Christmas Kisses and gingerbread house). i have now found it and this years christmas can come :)

I was really excited to try this one, especially as I'd heard it described as the best gingerbread scent ever and I love gingerbread scents.

But...I really don't know what happened, as soon as I got it on my skin there was nothing but that gargantuan squirt of musk! No gingerbread, no fruitcake, the tiniest bit of rum. I'm hoping that this might be a case of a sample ageing strangely and I have another one on its way because I don't want to give up hope on this one! But if it's really my skin chemistry making it act this way on me...then this one is a complete no go.

Ohh yes. I smell a combination of the gingerbread and fruitcake--almost more of a gingerbread cake smell, with a musky base. As it dries, I think I can smell dark rum. There's a very nice blend of sweet and spicy here. Gorgeous.

Mmmm! I LIKE this one!

Bottle: Gingerbread, warm and soft and lightly buttered! aroused.gif

On, wet: Gingerbread, rum-spiked eggnog, cake, and a hint of musk! Lovely!

On, dry: Gingerbread, rum, and musk!

Final Grade: 5 of 5

Was lucky enough to get my hands on a bottle of this from ebay :) Being a foody/spicy person this seemed perfect for me, woop ^_^

It literally smells like all the listed notes!

Out of the bottle it smells like buttery gingerbread.

Oh the skin I'm getting a really buttery scent with this sharp gingery smell, like real root ginger. I guess the rum note is making it smell like that, I'm also getting the fruitcake note too!

It's pretty strong, maybe a little sickly (but then I just ate so maybe that's why it's making me feel a bit iffy). It makes me think of a rich ginger fruit cake with a big glug of rum poured over the top, but before it's gone in the oven to bake.

Definitely gets better the longer it sits on my skin. I could actually picture a guy wearing this scent too, it's got a really unisex feel to it, it's not 'sweet' at all, but still spicy and slightly foody.

Overall, I'm glad I got this, don't think I'll be in the mood to wear it every day, but can see it being nice and comforting at times this autumn and winter.

3.5 out of 5 ! :)

Absolutely scrumptious in the bottle. This is all gingerbread and fruitcake. Interestingly enough, as I was applying this, I caught a whiff of eggnog in there too. Wet, the rum comes out, and the ginger strengthens. I love spice so I'm not surprised that this one works really well for me. It has great throw. I almost bought a back-up last time I made a DD order but because I have so much already, maybe one will be enough despite it being so awesome. Simply put, if you like spice, try this. It's damn good.

In the bottle it certainly smells like spicy gingerbread with a hint of musk. The musk is more of a aqueous musk than animallic for those afraid of feral musk.

On the skin it smells like in the bottle but there is a hint of something waxy. For about 2 hours after it dries it smells exactly like this vintage bright red lipstick my grandmother had from a 50's cosmetics set. If I smell my wrist it smells like a 50's bombshell bit into a ginger snap and then left it sitting on the plate, the waft though is musky lipstick . I am obviously smelling an aged bottle so it's early incarnation may have been different. Strangely after the 2 hour mark the lipstick recedes and what is left is a Shub Niggarauth, Morocco, and Pool of Tears Studio 54 after party you obviously attended and vigorously partook. It's become my warm weather gingerbread scent because, though I love my Shub; it's way to herbaceous in heat and humidity thus making me feel dirty (covered in mud from the garden dirty) rather than sultry. It smells as Betty from Mad Men would if her essence could be bottled.

Edited by Narcisse

In the imp: A cakey bakery scent followed by some sweet alcohol and Christmas spices.

On: Immediately mulled wine, the very sweet and spicy kind, closely followed by what my nose believes to be nutmeg. And then the alcohol comes back to play some more with us. The vision in my mind says: Rum-infused mulled wine with the last, stale gingerbread cookies of the year. The ones that are so old that they're almost chewy instead of crispy.

I wasn't so blown away by this as I thought I would be. This has been on my wishlist pretty much since I joined BPAL, but I almost feel underwhelmed. Maybe it is because I had already found my favorite Yule bpal by the time I tested this? I'm not sure, but I don't need to keep this one :)

Wonderful musky gingerbread. This blend is hands down the most wearable gingerbread scent for me. My skin clings to this scent because of the musk, so if you want to try a foodie and your skin eats them then this is the blend for you. The fruitcake and butterscotch balls are really in the background for this blend. Gingerbread takes the stage. This is very seasonal unless you like smelling like gingerbread all year round. This blend makes you want to gnaw your arm off because it smells so good.

Wet: Gingerbread and dark musk.

Dry: The rum has come out! Gingerbread and rum. There's a little bit of musk, but not as much as the wet stage. I wish I was getting some of that fruitcake scent!