Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A dusky, yet effervescent mix of pomegranate and black currant candies, with a dusting of sugared pear and white apple.

On: Exactly like the description. I adore this.
Half an hour in: So pretty. Sugary and slightly fruity.
1.5 hours in: Sweet and powdery. Love it.
2.5 hours in: Fruity and powdery.
6 hours later: Sweet and powdery.
Overall: I really, really like this. It's fun, but not childish.

It has a little more effervescence than the original and a little yellow light, if that makes sense. But it's pretty faithful to my beloved CandyPhoenix '08. wub2.gif aroused.gif

In the Bottle: Lush's Rock Star Soap in pure form.

Wet on the skin: I almost passed out it made me so dizzy at first it was so strong and overwhelming.

Drydown: Soft and sweet sugar with a real fruity warmth. Its sooo warm that Im not sure its gonna go over well in the summers here at 100 degrees daily. But as it sits it really lightens up to a beautiful blend of sweet sugar and pear(its got a real hint of freshness).

I dont get the candy smell from this as much as just sugary, Its sweet but way more fruit then candy on me.

I'm a sucker for candy scents, (pun not intended LOL), so naturally this has been on zee olde wishlist and I finally got a decant to try.

This smells exactly like a tin of citric-acid spiked sugar-coated blackcurrant pastilles I had years ago. Sometimes it smells like grenadine syrup, but all in all it's a bomb-ass candy scent. It doesn't go plasticky at all, either. I can see the comparisons to Sticky Pillowcase, but it's so much better because it lacks that awful "lint" note that amps on me. This could be better if only it had a base of pink musk, but regardless it's bottle-worthy.

I hadn't run into any "plastic" smells from BPAL yet... till I tried out this one. It's too bad, because for the first 20 minutes or so, I was really loving the smell of this: sweet and fizzy, with a very realistic blackcurrant smell like Ribena blackcurrant soda, tinged with the juicier, sharper smell of pomegranate. Then it abruptly shifted into Strawberry Shortcake-style scented plastic.

This is a review of an aged bottle.

In the bottle: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Can't pick out any individual notes, this is just pure candy.

On skin, wet: Still predominantly candy, but a bit of apple and pear peek out in the background.

On skin, dry: Super-sweet candy, with just that bit of crispness from the apple and pear. No tartness, which is surprising considering the notes.

After an hour: A bit of something musky (or, as per the description, dusky) joins the apple and pear to cut the sweetness very slightly, but it's still definitely a candy scent. It manages not to be sickening, though, unlike most of the other super-sweet scents I've tried.

I thought I would love this one, because so many mention likenesses to Sticky Pillowcase (which is Delicious on me) and Pink Phoenix (which is my fancy-events scent, it's so good)

But... Yes, I can see how it reminds of both, and if this was a drink, I'd blend it with (lots) of water and Love it - but it's not a drink, and it is not something me, my home or anything not for internal use should smell of :/

It does remind me of Sticky Pillowcase, but the Pillow has Lint (and probably salt) to make it more wearable - this one stays in the upper bright notes all the time. Sticky Pillowcase is actually not Sweet at all on me. This is. Way too sweet.

Oh well, I'm still glad I tried it, cause it does smell delicious - like raspberry candy or raspberry cordial - I get raspberry, not currant or pear, and yeah, it's just a bit too bright and sweet on me :)

I bought this on a whim off of Etsy, mostly because of the previous reviews (blackcurrant pastilles? Yes, please!) and am so very glad I did!

Wet: a rich purple/pink fruity scent, sweet, and surprisingly heavy. I can't quite pick out any specific fruit note, but it's overall beautiful and oddly nostalgic. It reminds me of something, but I can't figure out what!

Dry: Still sweet and fruity, but much of the heaviness is gone. There seems to be a touch of musk and a little bit of tartness has begun to appear around the edges. Finally, I realize what it reminds me of: Pink and Purple Nerds!

So good. Fantastic candy scent!

In the imp: sweet berry candy! Yum!

Wet on skin: A lovely sweet candy scent. I love that this isn't cloying, just a nice pomegranate/fruity scent.

Dry on skin: this scent grows in complexity after an hour or so of wear. A light sweet musk appears along with something akin to a delicate juicy floral.

Wow! This is a wonderful scent. It applies sweet and candy like, very much like the description, this reminds me a little of strawberry or cherry flavored Twizzler ropes. Very glad I purchased this unsnffed :)

Goodness, this is yummy :yum:

This doesn't morph at all. Same scent in the bottle, wet,and dry.

It smells just like La Vie Pastillines Hard Candy. As a kid my Mom would buy me a tin of La Vie candies whenever she took me shopping. So, this scent takes me back to my childhood. I love this!

In the bottle - Ooh yay, liquid rock candy.

Wet - This is very intense crystalline sugar sweetness. Sharp and sparkling white sugar granules. It’s not putting me off, though I suspect it might be too much for those who don't subscribe to the idea of sugar as a religion.

Drydown - Hmm … it’s getting a little creamier as it dries and the other notes are coming to the foreground. A little bit of the currant, minimal pear, no pomegranate. There’s a fruity bubblegum thing going on when it’s dried completely. Half an hour in, it’s a heady sugar floral. An hour in, and it’s a very gentle sweetness along the lines of sugar water or simple syrup.

Verdict - I adore this. It didn’t last as long as some of my other blends but it’s so wonderful that I don’t care. The rock candy note is similar to Sticky Pillowcase, but Sticky Pillowcase is a warm blend, and Candy Phoenix is piercing white and a little chilly on me. I’m keeping it.

In the bottle and on my skin, it's a blast of tart, fruity (sort of artificial) sweetness that was driving me crazy because it reminded me of something. And then it came to me; Candy Phoenix smells exactly like Red Vines (an off-brand US red licorice candy)! :rofl:

I actually love eating Red Vines, but don't necessarily want to smell like them.

You don't want this perfume.

Look, I can't explain to you how much you don't want this perfume, but you simply don't want it. You don't ever want to touch it. It is literally a thing that you don't ever want to own. You want Pixie-elf to own all of the bottles that are left of this, because she should definitely smell like pomegranate-cotton-candy-pear-sexiness. But you don't want to smell like that. You might even be afraid of what she might do if she smells it on you. Dear God, she might cling to you and never let you escape. She would be too busy sniffing all of the precious off of your skin. How creepy is THAT?

(All joking aside if you know of anything similar please point me in it's direction! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Please don't get a restraining order against me people with bottles of this, I promise to do you no harm. Really. :ninja: )

I have bottle of this &, while it smells good in the bottle, the pear note turns into a weird incensey scent on me. Remember when they had fruit scented incense in the 90s with weird fruits like pear & pineapple? It's like that. However, it's not a factor of aging. I put this on my boyfriend and it smells like fruity candy (he was a touch upset about that :laugh: ).

Wet: Musky pomegranate candy.

Dry: A stronger version of the wet stage, with an addition of pear!

So... musky pomegranate-pear candy.

When wet, all I could get from this was sugar and more sugar. Without looking at the notes, I thought it was just a mix of candies. But after it dried, I finally get the fruits. I can smell all four of them, but the strongest is definitely the pomegranate and black currant. It almost smells like licorice at times.

Like this a lot, but since it's gonna be so expensive I will likely not upgrade.

I see all the excellent elegant fruit notes in description, but for me, in bottle, wet on skin, and dry, I’ve got Cherry Zotz. Maybe warm from a summertime pocket or the cup holder in your car, but, a gleeful young cherry Zotz. Warm, fizzy, red, luscious. A scent of playful fizzy red joy. An hour or two after application, it lends to *almost* a cherry limeade; refreshing.

Edited by ka hulu
more words