Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A dusky, yet effervescent mix of pomegranate and black currant candies, with a dusting of sugared pear and white apple.

This smelled like musky sugared fruit on me. Very candy like, but with a bit of an edge. There wasn't that overly youthful vibe of "eau-de-eleventeen-year-old" that I sometimes get with the sweeter scents. This smelled like a grown-up, jellied fruits from the shi-shi chocolate boutique kind of scent. Edited by crebbsgirl

You know, if I was younger or if I had a little girl, I'd have been really disappointed that I didn't get a bottle when I had the chance. It's wonderfully sweet and summery and fruity, like the really good kinds of fruit drops they sell in the English import shop near where I live. That said, while it's great stuff, I think it's a little bit girly on me, and I will stick with the much sehexier wine-gums-and-incense vibe of Dionysia.

penicillin?

why do these pink scents just not work on me???? :rantrave:

Sugary sweet, fruity and fizzy. To me this smells like those German raspberry candies and pomegranate soda. :yum:

IN THE IMP: Ooh, a bubbly, almost fizzy sweet fruit candy.

WET: Still fruit candy.

DRY: Yep, sweet berry and pomegranate candy. Not that I'm complaining. This scent is so cute and bubbly, and definitely lifts your spirits. :D

In the bottle – Mmm sweet. A cross between parma violets and Lush’s Rock Star soap with just a hint of the black currants sharpness

Wet on me – the dryness of the back currant comes through more against the candy sweetness

Dry on me – Soft sweet candied fruits

Overall – Nice, very nice indeed. Possible a tiny bit faint, but on the whole a winner, I think

in the bottle sweet, the cherries really come out at you.

applied - i dont know, something comes off like caugh syrup.

overall: wanted to love this scent but it reminds me too much of benadryl's cherry formula for allergies. i'll keep my bottle and let it age, maybe to see if the scent deepens. I REFUSE TO GIVE UP ON THIS SCENT.

I managed to snag a bottle of this just before it was taken down from the site and I am glad that I did.

In the bottle: very sweet and slightly boozy. I feel like I've put my nose in a bag of fruity hard candy with the liquid centers.

On me: it goes from the scent in the bottle to a strange sort of sweet scent in just a matter of minutes. Fortunately it doesn't last too long and turns into what smells like LUSH's Candy Fluff only without the powder.

Overall: I love it! I only got it a few days ago, but have been using it constantly. It makes me feel happy and reminds me a bit of summer. My one regret is that I only ordered one bottle. :sad:

I love, love, love this scent <3

In the bottle: It smells just like pomegranate-and-currant candy: a little sugary and a little tart. I can also catch a whiff of something that smells like green apple. At first sniff, this definitely wasn't one of my favourites: It smelled like candy in the worse sense, all artificial flavours and preservatives. And no-one wants that.

Wet: The green apple vanishes, and now it's all red currant and pomegranate, along with the pear. It smells like nice candy now, the sort that's made with all-natural imported ingredients and costs $50 per pound.

One Hour Later:This has mysteriously morphed into something that smells sensual, rather than saccharine. The pear and pomegranate notes are nearly gone now, and the sugar has died down a bit. The currant has really taken over, and it's been joined by a scent that comes very close to being a rose note. I've heard this scent described as a sort of "candy musk," and I'd really have to say that's a fair assessment.

Several Hours Later: Still that lovely currant-and-rose combo, though the sugar has faded a little and now it's a pleasant fruity-floral combo more than anything else. I am definitely a fan.

Overall: Someone suggested this perfume to me as a substitute for one of my favourite commercial perfumes (YSL Baby Doll), and I have to say that I think it's a great replacement <3 Candy Phoenix has a base that feels super-similar to the rose-and-currant combo of my old favourite, with a lovely sugary kick to it. It's a sweet, bubbly, and delicious scent that comes across as extremely sophisticated, and I think I'm in love with it.

Candy Phoenix

In the imp: smells just like sweets. Just like those hard fruity sweets, very sugary, but with a sour edge.

Wet on skin: blackcurrant fizzy pop blended with crushed pink sugar and topped with sherbet powder.

Dry on skin: now this smells like blackcurrant Fruit Pastilles/wine gums. This has a blackcurrant note which is very similar to the taste of blackcurrant sweets, or even Ribena. This is also the kind of note that could potentially go to cat pee on me but for now, it is blackcurrant sweets. I also smell a gentler sugar note on top which is almost vanilla-musk like, reminiscent of the sugared scent in Hope and Faith. A little pomegranate, but not too much. Can’t smell much apple or pear. This is a fun scent! It’s a lot more pleasant than I expected.

After a while: this then becomes really, really sweet. Cavity-inducing sugar with just a hint of fruit underneath. It’s mounds of glittering white sugar and pink sugar and sugars of all kinds of bright neon colours with a hint of fruit to it. It smells like lollipops covered in sugar crystals. The great thing is that I don’t get any bad reactions from the apple note. But it is bordering on being way too sweet for me.

Verdict: this is as sweet and sugary and cavity-inducing as I expected. A little too sweet for me. the good thing is that the apple note doesn’t wreak havoc on my skin. this scent is dominated by the blackcurrant and pomegranate flavoured candies. It’s very blackcurranty at first, just like blackcurrant fruit pastilles, complete with glittering sugar crystals. And then the pomegranate comes in and it too is very sugary, not the usual tart fruit that it usually is. I actually quite like it for a while, and start to wish that there were pomegranate flavoured sweets available (I’m sure there must be, but I haven’t seen any for sale so far…) Finally the sugar completely takes over and becomes too much for me-too sweet and sticky and cloying and intensely sugary. I like some kinds of sugar, especially the spun sugars and white sugars, and vanilla sugar or sugary musk, but this is a little too much for my likings. Though it does smell good enough to eat…

Emoticon rating: :huh:

Is it a keeper? no.

If you like this, try: Sticky Pillowcase, Bloody Mary, Xanthe, Swank, Flower Song

Drat. Drat, drat, DRAT I say! :evil:

All the notes in Candy Phoenix have worked beautifully on me in other blends, so I was sure I would adore this. So what happens? It goes sour. No, scratch that, it goes SOUR. Sour almost to the point of making my nose hairs curl. Where is all the sugar that everyone else is getting? I only wish I had that much sweetness to offset the tang.

Alas, the foody in me must pout, and my bottle must find another home. :rasp:

I got Candy Phoenix because the idea reminded me of Pink Phoenix, which I dearly love. In the bottle and the first moments on my skin, the scent is exactly like a fuchsia hard candy- I can almost feel the candy's smoothness on my tongue. On the joint of my thumb, it stays this way. On my wrists, as the oil dries, the apple and pear blend together such that the scent isn't either apple or pear but both. The apple/pear combination begins to cut the overwhelming- the apple is quite tart, which cuts the soft sweetness of the pear and the sugar jolt of the candy. As the oil continues to dry, the pear and especially apple begin to fade away, which is somewhat surprising since apple loves to shout out on my skin, and the black currant and pomegranate show up. I will say that I didn't recognize either the currant or pom as being those notes- they seemed very sweet and delicate and somehow floral to me. At this stage, when the pear/apple and pomegranate/black currant are eddying together, there's a sort of, oh, I don't know, depth to the scent. When I smelled it, it made me think of bread- not that it smells ANYTHING like bread, but it was like bread or steak or something filling as opposed to tofu or iceberg lettuce. It made me think of feeling full. I have NO idea why I thought that, but it was a very satisfying feeling. Then the apple/pear was wholly gone, leaving a very delicate, sweet but not cavity-inducing scent behind. The sweetness was there, for sure, but it was fragile like a snowflake on your fingertip. I too thought I smelled a vanillic scent like I smell in Pink Phoenix. I liked that part, too.

Pink Phoenix, fresh, was so sweet I couldn't stand it but mellowed to perfection. I like the drydown of Candy Phoenix very much- I had my wrist to my nose constantly, all day- and I'm excited to see how the oil will age.

Yup, definitely candy! Even though the notes in this are not pink, this strikes me as a very pink blend. I can pick out the pomegranate and currant notes, and maybe a hint of sugary pear in the background. I know there's no strawberry in there, but I would swear there was if I didn't know better. This reminds me of the packets of sugared dried fruits you can buy at the grocery store. As I wear it a bit longer, the currant really comes out and takes the lead as top note. There is still that elusive pink bubble gum note, where does it come from??

This is very yummy and pretty, I will be holding on to my bottle. ^_^

Mmm.. in the bottle it's a nice tangy, yet sweet, pomegranate scent.

On my skin it's almost the same as in the bottle, just a few hints of black currant coming out now. Mmm... this is sweet, but not too sweet. Very good. It reminds me a bit of those strawberry candies with the goo in the middle, smells a bit like that.

I've seen a few reviews saying this is like Sticky Pillowcase, but they're very different scents on me. If I had to compare, I'd say it's more like Bon Vivant actually - with a hint of the pomegranates I got strongly from The Flower Song. Sparkling tangy-sweet fruit candies.

Edited by ShadowsDance

so I've been on the forum a long time, which means I've tried...well, almost everything I want to try. Occasionally things come up with notes I like (pear, pomegranite, apple, sounding familiar yet?), and I think....huh, will I love that? Probably not. Will I buy it? Nope. But I might slip it on the wish list for an imp swap, but it's a desultory thing, and I'm not at all seeking said scent, just have a mild curiosity about it.

That's how it was with candy phoenix, and eventually, I got an imp. I'd read the reviews, and thought...hmmm...it doesn't sound that bad (or that good), though some very cruel past reviewers compared it to pink phoenix, a scent I like....(I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THESE COMPARISONS BTW AND WILL BE SEEKING OUT SUCH REVIEWERS FOR PUNISHMENT! :whip: )**

I sniff it, and as I have another imp with a currant note, I see the immediate similarities. And yes, I also get the effervescent fizziness of this in the imp, but it smells...well, not like something I want to put on, but more like those wierd fruit candies that have this fizzy creamy stuff in the middle? Zotz or something like that (of course I may be totally making that candy up, but I really think there is something old timey candy like that).***

Gingerly, I put a tiny bit on my right wrist and OMG can we say currant candy? Stomping its way in and shouting and screaming? Yup. And SO SWEET...It's like I'm being attacked by a giant piece of hard candy...a giant piece of wet sticky hard candy that is trying to tie me up and do unspeakable things to me. :ack: And not fun things either.

About three minutes later, it morphs to....candy scented plastic! It's as if the currant candy and some pomegranite candy mated and created little stompy sticky candy bits wearing rubber boots, which are now following the example of their parents and stomping me too.

There was shrieking on my part, and I ran to the bathroom and tried to wash it off, first with soap, then with rubbing alchohol, followed by a metal bristle brush (well, maybe I'm exaggerating on the last one). When I came out of the bathroom, my BF laughed and said it smells just the same. (it was kind of an evil laugh too).

And of course, this sucker stuck around and stuck around.

It's safe to say I did not enjoy candy phoenix.

** Ok, I won't really hunt you down and punish you, but I really do love pink phoenix, and really did kind of think this might smell like it, and on me, it SO did not.

***I read this review to the BF who laughed out loud when I said zotz, and said he remembers such a candy.

Candy Phoenix

Black currant and pomegranate, apple and pear? :wub2: Was this made just for me? My heart fell a little, though, when I opened the bottle and it screamed, "Creamy Candy Bubble Bar!" (from Lush). I didn't let that deter me, though. On my skin, it does still kind of remind me of Creamy Candy, but Candy Phoenix is so much more and so much better. Where Pink Phoenix was pink and sweet and floral, this is pink and sweet and fruity. I mostly get black currant and powdery candy (like Pixi Stix, maybe? or the sugar that's dusted on those hard candies so they don't stick together). There's a hint of something floral that goes dangerously close to dryer-sheet territory, but the fruits keep it pretty well in check. Both the throw and the lasting power is amazing.

OMFG, this is Pink Moon 05 cracked out on a hardcore sugar rush! It might not work but for the lovely fizzy note, like it's made out of liquid Pop Rocks or something. I wonder if my arm will explode if I spill some Coke on it. I am surprised by how much I like this! It's fun and pink and girly and makes me feel...well, like a kid in a candy shop! Love this!

Initial reaction: Mmmmm, gummy bears! Good, made-with-real-fruit juice fresh gummy bears. As I was on my way out the door, I put it aside to test later (and promptly forgot about it for several weeks).

This evening's results:

In the imp: Mmm. Nommeh. I want some gummy bears! No late night shopping trip for me, though, so let's try it out.

On/wet: Maybe a little pomegranate, but definitely fruity candies. A little odd, though--what is this toasted sugar doing here?

Drydown: Glargh. OMGWTFBBQ -- Where are my gummy bears???! I think they're still in here somewhere, but definitely not in a tasty "Eat-us-please!" kind of way. This is more like a... hmmm... The Gummy Bears got high on pure sugar syrup and some sort of clear fizzy pomegranate mixer and then had a knock-down, drag-out fight with the Blackcurrant Gummy Gang in the lit-by-a-single-streetlight parking lot of their local dive along the side of a two-lane highway. It wasn't a pretty fight, and even though nobody died, everybody's all scuffed around and they've got gravel and black, slightly grimy motor oil scratched into their little gummy bodies and leather jackets. Naughty Boy Gummy Bears, who get in scuffles because it seems like a good idea at the time, but who are actually borderline Nice Boy Gummy Bears who look after their mamas and work on cars in white t-shirts even though it's impractical, and always get almost-but-not-quite jumped by Nice Girl Gummy Bears by accident. * drool * Overall... The aforementioned candies. Leather. And what I can only really describe as "His Car", though I really have no point of reference for that. Maybe a side of "blue raspberry" (and frankly I would probably jump someone who smelled of blue raspberry...). Yummy. Debating whether I need to track down a bottle and drag it back to my house to have my wicked way with it or not.

I tried a decant of this when it first came out and I didn't like it--it was too sharp, too cloying.

However, I just came into possession of an aged bottle and it has smoothed out and become, like many others noted, a lot like LUSH Rock Star or even possibly Creamy Candy, and I like it a LOT better now. It's sweet, mostly currant-y to my nose. I'm glad I got to re-try this!

Definitely not a scent for when I want to feel sexy but it's absolutely perfect for when I want to feel totally girly :yum:

LOVE IT! This is right up my alley. :wub:

This does have a similarity to Rockstar Soap from Lush! It's very very similar. But the main not that jumos out first is Blackcurrant candies. The same gorgeous ones that burst out of Lunar Eclipse. It's that Blackcurranty gummy sweet smell, but this has fizz! I lurrrve this sort of blend.

It's bursting with pink and purpleness, fruit and jolly fizziness! This is such a fun scent to wear and people's noses at work have been following me all day saying I smell like a sweet shop! :)

It's almost like you could drink it! *refrains*

When this first goes on, it is a bit like Pink Phoenix. It's bright and super pink and fruity. However, within just a minute or two, that changes. It becomes more like a tin of berry hard candies dusted with sugar. It's fruity but in a very subtle way. The dusty sugary note is what really stands out in this more than anything. It's sweet and girly, but wearable. Certainly not for those who aren't fans of sugary scents.

My sister joyfully bought this for me for christmas last year, happily found it tucked away in my stocking XD. I just haven't gotten around to reviewing until now.

It's pink, that's for sure. It's candy, sweet, and really gorgeous. It's not "womanly", and a lot of bpalers I've noted really prefer more full and adult scents (snake oil, for example...). But this isn't really girly either. When someone says girly I tend to think of fake plastic smelling lip gloss or something. This isn't fake, at all. It's just very very very cheerful and bright. Fruity, sweet, and delicious.

It IS a lot like sticky pillowcase. However, sticky pillowcase has that almost caramel-toffee vibe of sweetness underneath everything, but candy pheonix doesn't, at all. This isn't a sweet scent that even hints at turning into maple syrup. It's just too bright to bother with those darker notes.

I actually prefer sticky pillowcase, however. Because it has that lint (lol I don't know) base note that sort of holds it together more. Candy Phoenix is just a bright, wafty scent with not a whole lot of bottom notes. - That's not to say it vanishes. It's a strong scent on me, with a lot of throw, and a lot of staying power.

But I still love it. It's a summer scent. You wont feel weighed down by it, if anything you may just float away with it. It's really beautiful.

This isn't at all like Sticky Pillowcase for me! It's much more "red" in scent, and has a heavier drydown scent than Velvet Unicorn. Pillowcase went more sugar candy, while this went the way of currant!