Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A dusky, yet effervescent mix of pomegranate and black currant candies, with a dusting of sugared pear and white apple.

Oh, Candy Phoenix... In the decant you smelled a lot like Sticky Pillowcase. But now that I've tried you, I can smell sugared pear. And only sugared pear. You're like Glitter's more pleasant sister.

I wanted sugared pear... but after my recent success with Sugar Skull I had forgotten how strange the white sugar in Faith and Hope went on me. Candy Phoenix does the same thing - instead of lovely sugared fruits I'm left with oddly chemical Pez.

Oddly chemical Pez are not good.

Oh my word...I am so disappointed!! :( This smells like a rotten fruit basket on me. Sour, pungent, acrid, burning...imagine a pile of orange zest. So sad...am selling it, so I hope it works out well for someone.

In the bottle: Colourless oil. Sugary fruits, almost piercingly sweet. The black currant is strongest, but is a little plastic. Lighter pomegranate and pear.

Wet: The fruits are even stronger, more pear and a little apple emerging, and the currant has a really wild, almost herbal edge. Still a bit plastic, less sweet.

Dry: Not really much change, other than perhaps a bit of the non-currant fruits fading. This makes the chemically harsh element more apparent.

Later: This reminds me of two things - Eat Me, without the creamy and tangy notes, and black currant candies (a specific European brand I used to get, gummy ones in tins).

Summary: It settles into a pretty yummy black currant candy - almost single note - with a lighter undertone of pear. It still is a bit sweet and a bit plastic for my tastes. Decent throw, fades fast.

straight sniff from imp is *intense* strawberry...

once applied....

a dead ringer for LUSH rock star....

sooooooooooo...if u love the (LUSH) soap/body wash, make sure to pick

up this lovely perfume to create a layered masterpiece....hayoooge throw, too...lasted all

evening :D

In imp: ooooh, bubbly pomegranate!

Wet on skin: ooooh, bubbly pomegranate!

Dry on skin: sweet, dark bubbly candy

10 minutes later: sweet, dark bubbly candy

This perfume actually surprised me. Usually sweet scents smell like :sick: on me. I think the pomegranate and whatever is 'dusky' is keeping this from going all nasty. I really like this, and am going to get a bottle. Yay!

In the decant: Mmmm... Sugary pears!!! It’s yummy!

Wet on skin: Same as in the bottle, but more subtle.

Dry on skin: Apples and pears blended to perfection! I LOVE it, and MUST have a bottle!

This really does smell just like a piece of hard candy. It's much less sweet than I thought it would be. Instead of being sugary or syrupy, it's quite tart and dry.

It does bear a strong resemblance to Sticky Pillowcase, but that was a little bit bubblier and sweeter, to me. This is definitely dusky, and strong on something that resembles the "lint" note in Pillowcase. I don't immediately pick out any sugared pear or apple. This is all currant and pomegranate. Imagine "Fruit of Paradise" without the juicy component. If I breathe deeply, I get a slight sense of pear on the finish. (It stands out much more when the oil is wet.)

I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but I am pleasantly surprised that the lab has so accurately captured the scent of a piece of old-fashioned hard candy. If you are afraid of this being overly sweet, don't be. I don't find it nearly as sweet as Sugar Skull, Sticky Pillowcase, or even Fruit of Paradise.

Throw, for me, is soft. This smells fanTASTIC in an oil burner, BTW. Sweeter than it is on my skin.

Edited by naeelah

I had extremely high hopes for Candy Phoenix, candy-scent addict that I am. Wet the sugar note is very, very pink. Yes! This is the sugar note I adore...not caramel, not brown sugar, not burnt sugar, just spun whisps of cotton candy. Everything is fab for the first minute or so. Then, something murky and, yes, B.O.'ish creeps in. I think it must be the pomgranate, and it smells a lot like a pomgranate body spray I once had. :( Eventually it does move past that stage: 30 or so minutes later I get neutral, powdered sugar-dusted fruit that has some serious staying power. If pomgranate behaves on your skin and you like sugared scents, this is your bottle.

Edited by Indig0

As soon as I opened the bottle and put some on, my immediate first reaction was "WTF Lush Creamy Candy?" Seriously, almost dead on. Boyfriend says it smells like candy Play-Do, which I can see. It's not bad smelling, but it does have that plastic-smelly-toy quality to it. It's actually pretty pleasant in the throw, but up close, I get that toy smell. On the drydown, it's still totally Creamy Candy, but a little more crisp and apple/pear smelling.

Seriously, lovers of Lush's Rock Star/Creamy Candy/Candy Fluff would most likely dig this. It's almost dead-on.

Deep, fruity, and sweet, not one of the fruits stands out to me individually in this scent. I had no expectations either way, so I was happy that this smells so good. For comparisons, it reminds me a little of Bloody Mary, and also one of the Possets kitties, but I can't remember which one (Maude, w/out the greenery?). I shall enjoy this scent again, and I'm glad it came along with my set of decants.

This is, indeed, silly and playful and effervescent. It is grape soda and chewy, juicy fruit candies, so many fruity varieties that they just sort of mingle together in a wet, bubbly mauve haze. It has little throw, and tends to fade fairly fast.

Just like candy, this is a scent that would be nice to indulge in once in a while, but a constant olfactory diet of it would be unhealthy. But thanks for the sweet treat, all the same!

GAH I AM SO GLAD I WENT FOR THIS. *clutches wrist* Nth-ing comparisons to one of the really pink Lush products, the Creamy Candy bubble bar or the Rockstar soap, only now I don't have to carry any around in my pocket to smell it (not... that I do that). Bright, magenta pink. The closest BPAL in my limited experience that I can think of might be Bordello, only this feels MORE like bright red/pink hard candies yanked out of someone's mouth and less like a boozy transparent red drink. I remember seeing pear flavoring extracts in lots of "blue raspberry" candies when I ate them (I was a blue raspberry Jolly Rancher FREAK when I was younger) so even though I can't pick out pears, the note addition probably strengthens the candy likeness.

Ohh, this is my favorite sugar/candy blend so far. 100% love, and I may even wear it as a scent rather than just smell it for appreciation. It's not dry or powdery or gritty or too sugary (ironically... Sugar Skull was just too much); just bright, sweet, and mouthwatering, the kind of thing that will stain your tongue an unseemly red.

I've heard comparisons to Sticky Pillowcase, but I like this much, much better, mostly because I'm not much for the "clean cotton" note in SP and my skin agrees to play nicely with this (Sticky Pillowcase went a bit watery and off-color for me).

Will drain the bottle dry for sure, and to think that I almost didn't get it because I was taking myself too seriously. ;)

I'm really excited for this one! I hope this isn't too sugary sweet though.

imp-> This smells like a fruity hard candy and I loves it! Sweet, but not so sweet that it makes my teeth ache.

wet-> Still a fruity candy! I can pick out the pomegranate for sure. It's starting to develop a bit of a sour/tangy bite to it. Not bad though.

after a while-> It's like a sour fruit tart candy. It's rather off putting on my skin though. This would work fabulously in a locket though is my guess :)

For a candy scent, I really don't mind this. It's sweet, but not overly so. I don't really get the Lush Creamy Candy/Rock Star comparison, they are much sweeter and more plastic to my nose, but I'm sure they would compliment one another. This would be a great summertime scent, at the beach perhaps. I probably won't reach for it too often, not being a true foodie, maybe when I'm craving jelly bellies or something like that.

I was looking so forward to the wonderful smell of sugar and candied goodness!

Wet and dry: smelt just like grape cough medicine to me :(

Though after 3 hours it finally settled into a sweet candy smell. And while that's nice, I can't sit through 4 hours of grape to get to the sweet aftermath.

So off to swaps it goes!

You know, I should REALLLY take a closer look at the descriptions of things, because all I seemed to zero in on was "sugared pear and white apple." And while that IS there, this scent is SO much more than that. It positively didn't work for me, so I sent my decant off as a gift to another forum member. Still, it was absolutely fun to check it out.

On first sniff, I immediately though, MMMMM, PINK!!! A cousin to Midway, I don't smell Sticky Pillowcase at all - the pillowcase to me was like a piece of caramel that had gotten left in a pants pocket and washed in the washing machine, where this one makes me think of girlie Valentine's candy. I tested a dab and thought I smelled fabulous. Hubby to be, in the car said, "What's that smell?" I exclaimed, "MY candy oil!" He wrinkled up his nose and said, "It smells cheap." :blink:

*sigh* Off to swaps it goes, though I think it's pretty damn good, sweet, and girlie without smelling like some crap from Claire's.

I freaking love this blend. I want to have it's babies. It is candy and sweet and tart and it LASTS. So good. Sugar and pomegante and yummy currents. Currents don't normally work on me but this does.

A few people have mentioned that it smells like Lush's Rock Star, & I have to agree. It's not quite as fake as Rock Star, though, as the fruitiness is more of a true berry note while I find Rock Star a bit plasticky. It's very interesting -- I'm not often a "sugar" fan but I can see myself wearing this when I'm feeling really girly.

This is adorable.

It's chipper and candy-sweet without being sticky and childish. The dark fruits help keep the pear and apple from becoming everyday. I love my imp.

This lasted all day and all night, with my husband kissing me goodnight with a comment that I "smell like candy" WIN!

This is what I imagine Glinda the Good Witch smells like.

It went on very tart - almost like super overripe cherries, but pinker, if that makes sense. The drydown was sweet on me, but I'm not getting the uber candy note that I keep seeing mentioned. I think the pear tempers the apple pretty well, and keeps it from going all Barbie on me. Love it! Can't wait until my bottle gets here!

I couldn't let the Anniversary pass me by without picking up at least two phoenixes, and after much deliberation chose Candy Phoenix as one of the two I ended up with. So, in a whimsical mood today, I thought I'd try this pungently pink perfume. In the bottle, this reminded me strongly of Bordello, which I'd really liked but had ended up not liking me. The pomegranate made it even more of a sweet-tart fragrance though, and the black currant made it mouth-watering. So I eagerly slathered it on. It almost seemed effervescent, sweet and tangy and good, like the taste of pixie sticks and pop rocks when wet, and it didn't morph much when dry. Overall, I am very happy with this scent. It is undeniably pink and very much a candy scent, but with enough tartness to make it interesting and save it from being an insipid little girl scent.

Yum!

a dead ringer for LUSH rock star....

YES! This is a dead ringer for Lush Rock Star (which is my favorite Lush soap)!!

First whiff out of the bottle is super sweet strawberry candy (with just a hint of pear). As it dries, the super sweetness calms down a bit and turns into a light fruity musk on me. I'm REALLY lovin' this perfume right now. :wub2: I will cherish my bottle :)