Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

CANDY PHOENIX
A dusky, yet effervescent mix of pomegranate and black currant candies, with a dusting of sugared pear and white apple.

In the bottle: Pomegranate and black currant candy huzzah! It smell wonderful!

This is smelling like blue sugar and ....... wait a minute....... This is ending up smells extremely similar to Sticky Pillowcase. Though, the blue sugar mix is with strawberry in Sticky Pillowcase, and in here, it's pomegranate, they smell extremely identical. And for those of you who have never smelled sticky pillowcase, it's a sugar foodie dream in a bottle. I would say that Candy Phoenix is Sticky Pillowcases Almost Identical twin sister. They smell different in the bottle, but the same on me. They probably have the same base sugar notes in them, and my devour anything foodie skin is probably amping those notes, which is why they smell the same to me.

Not that this is a bad thing, mind you. *noms the candy phoenix*

- Edit,

You know, I think i've figured it out!!! Candy phoenix goes to sleep on the sticky pillowcase, that's why they're so similar!! *giggles* Edited by RaeiNarcissus

In the bottle: Sweet, sweet, sugar. It's a little effervescent, a little purple. I think I just gave myself a cavity.

Wet: It's candy all right. This pomegranate is swimming in an ocean of sugar while the black currant candies are splashing about. I don't know where the pear or apple are at; maybe they've drowned?

Drydown: The sugar recedes a bit and now I get pear, similar to the one in the Perilous Parlor, which is one of my favorite scents. The pomegranate's there too, but I only can pick up a hint of it behind the black currant candies. The apples apparently didn't get an invitation to this party, which is sad since I love the BPAL apple notes.

Overall: I really like this scent. When I tried this at the DD Trunk Show, I absolutely had to have it because of its sweetness factor (even though my hubby doesn't care for this one at all. Oh well, he doesn't have to wear it :D ). It's not one I'll wear everyday; just on days when I'm longing for a toothache. This is a perfect birthday/binge scent. :P

Edited by hereunto

in the bottle: candied fruits. but not like strawberry moon, which had a sort of "licorice twist" scent, this smells more like freshly sugared fruits. :D

wet on skin: same, blooming beautifully :P

dry down: sugary candy with a sweet bouquet of flowers nearby- a touch of chrysanthemum, a hint of carnation and piles of raspberries, strawberries and crystal sugar.

in all: less sweet than Sticky Pillowcase, this is one to try for those of you that found that one a bit too sugary. love!

:D

A skin test from my trip to will call:

This is PINK! It reminds me a lot of the scents like pink phoenix, the first pink moon, and even midway (cotton candy?). Pink fruity candies, and yes, a bit fizzy. Unfortunatley, this has little staying power on me. After I came home from will call, many of my skin patch test were still going strong, but this one was long gone. I suppose its just as well, as I don't find myself wearing the "pink" fruity family of scents very often.

Skin test from Will Call:

Stale Currant Candy. From the time it was on till the time I washed it off. I had such high hopes for this one...because I love Black Currant. :P

Pomegranate candy? Of course I went straight to the bottle order.

Sharp and effervescent in the bottle, all fizzy pomegranate-flavoured thing (not actual pomegranate so much as "with natural flavouring") with a sliver of Ribena undertones. I was reminded more of Happy Housewife Soaps' Wednesday's Market than anything.

And then it started.

Wet: Um… I think that’s a blackcurrant… um…

Wet, x2: Um… h-hello? Hello? H-h-hello?

Wet, x3: Yes, I do believe that’s pomegranate lemon soda! Yes! Yes…

Drydown: …h-hello?

Wet, x4: I give up. Maybe it’ll smell like something momentarily.

Drydown: … sugar.

Dry: …… sugar.

Dry, 1 hour: Despair. I hath rent mine garment.

In the bottle and wet: Cherry? Something red and sweet and a little teeny bit sharp ... pomegranate sounds about right.

Drying: Pear-cherry? More of a pear smell, but still with a redness about it, a blush.

Settled: Somewhere between a bright, sparkling red candy and a Luden's cherry cough drop. Will have to retest this one.

Fizzy pomegranate!

The originator of this thread has it right, Candy Phoenix and Sticky Pillowcase are close cousins, but CP is definitely the pinker of the two. I'm reminded of pixi stix done classy. It's very light, which is good in my mind. A candy/foody scent that won't become cloying throughout the day.

In the bottle this is sugar coated pomegranate.

Strangely, when it hits my skin it smells almost identical to Faith from Carnaval Diabolique. I guess it's the sugar reacting to my skin chemistry causing this. I love Faith, so that's not a problem. It's just not exactly what I expected after sniffing the bottle and smelling the fruitiness.

Goodness.

This has a first fresh burst that reminds me of those box-gum 'Fusen' things you could buy at asian markets, little globs of gum that never lasted long, but always had a characteristic grape flavor. Then it deepens and smells like a very sparkly burgundy berry scent, with white sugar crystals. There's the deep 'dark bitterness' of currant definitely sniffable, but it's all kept very bubbly with the apples and pears, which lend an airy sugar to this without being too 'snappy' or overpoweringly fruit.

First Sniff: Sticky Pillowcase!

Funny that I had bottles of both Sticky Pillowcase and Candy Phoenix arrive on the same day, so my first thought was 'Wow, they smell almost exactly the same!'. Which makes me very happy, because I like both scents, and now I have two bottles that smell the same as each other!

On Skin: Apple. Apple, apple, apple! And sugar. Very sharp. I love it. So glad I decided to order it after all.

ADDED Aug. 30:

In bottle: Pears and black currants. Mmmmm.

Wet: Very pear and apple! Green fruit. :P Still getting a hint of berries, it kind of reminds me of Bewitched in a way, but more sugary.

Dry: Sugary! Love it. I want to eat my hand. Definitely reminds me of candies!

In the bottle it is fizzy black current candy.

Wet I get more of the pomegranate but it is still fizzy. A very purple scent.

On Drydown the apple and pear come out to play and make this a very playful fruity scent.

I should know better by now.

Pomegrante and I, while on friendly terms for food and edibles, do not get along in scent.

This is sweet, tooth achingly so at first, with a touch of darkness from the currant. But pomegrante jumps in and turns on me.

I cannot pick out pear, which is one of my favorite BPAL notes - nor the apple. However, I suspect that it is the apple that gives that fizzy feel to it.

bottle: sugary pomegranate.

wet: this goes all fizzy, sweet and black curranty once applied. very playful.

dry: i can finally smell the pear! this is wonderfully fruity and sweet.

Maybe eight or ten years ago, I bought a little tin of Hello Kitty hard candies from the Adisn food store near where I live. I don't think that I've thought of those candies since, but *wham!* Candy Phoenix smells JUST like them.

I really like this, but probably won't wear it often. It's a little too girly for my default state. It's sparkly, and dance-y, and just... Swishy, flouncy, frou-frou girl smell, in the best way possible. It's Fruit of Paradise's younger sister.

Anyway--HOLY CRAP to its staying power!! Ten hours in, and I'm still getting whiffs off of my arm, when the others I was testing are barely noticinle when I'm right on top of them!!

This is pink, pink, and more pink! Swirly, candyfloss pink. And it's loooovely.

I ordered two bottles of Candy Phoenix, hoping it would make a suitable replacement for my beloved Pink Phoenix.

So my order arrives, and I rip off the bubble wrap like a crazy person. Eek! When I first took the lid off to have a sniff.. very strong and rich, in a cough syrup kind of way. My first thought was "uh oh".. but then I put it on my skin..

Mmmmm - cherries? No wait, it's blackcurrant. Pomegranate? Hello, are you there? Oh yeah.. there you are, hiding behind the blackcurrant. It's still a very strawberry/cherry smell right now.

After about 15 minutes, that initial cherry thing has died down and the pear has made an appearance. The apple's definitely there too now.

Half an hour later, and all the notes have blended beautifully so that no particular one is really clear. I'm not getting the 'pink' that others have mentioned, this doesn't have that real girlie candy thing going - on me, it's more fruity wine than pink candy - so it's not going to be my Pink Phoenix replacement but that's OK.

This is really a beautiful blend - it keeps changing but it's just getting better and better. I've had it on for about 2 hours now, and I think the pear is taking the lead, with the others just hovering around in the background. Such a lovely surprise - I was really worried at first sniff, but now I'm exceptionally happy with this.

Edited to add: Just out of curiosity, I put a dab of Sticky Pillowcase on.. and nope, not at all similar on me - Sticky Pillowcase is that boozy rum kind of sugar (like Smut, Sugar Skull etc), very different to Candy Phoenix which is all candy type sugar (white sugar?) so I'm not getting that similarity others have mentioned at all.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

The pomegranite and currant are the first candies I notice, but, the pear comes out farly soon.

The sugar is also fairly strong, and seems like it will be staying around for a while, even when the fruits fade. I don't have all that much optimism about how long fruit notes stick around on me anymore.

Sugar Skull lasts very well on me, but Sticky Pillowcase did not. This seems a little closer to Sugar Skull plus fruits, but, without whatever was giving me the incense scent in Sugar Skull.

I am glad I figured out that foodie scents work well on me. When I started, I wouldn't have picked this out, but, it is nice!

Wow, this is like covering your arm in candyfloss and blackcurrant sweets!

I'm not an expert with sugary scents, so sorry for lack of technicalities and expertise here. Candy Phoenix reminds me a lot of Midway (I think it's midway... a very "pink" sweet candyfloss fruity one?). It has the same fruity, sticky sweetness, but for some reason it isn't as sharp and cloying. I get a lot of blackcurrant and pomegranate.

To me, this is nothing like the boozy, creme-brulee, caramel-esque sugariness of Sugar Skull and Smut

ok, first of all this is nothing like Sticky Pillowcase on me because that has a burned-sugar note (for me). This smells much more like Treat #1 - very much like jolly ranchers! But unlike Treat (which smells of watermelon) this smells like maybe strawberry and pear and ... something else i can't place. it is quite fizzy and efforvescent.

final thoughts: friuty, fizzy, sweet (but not heavy sweetness, nothing plasticky etc). KEEPER!

In the bottle: Sugary fruit, but more fruity than sugary. Sparkly, juicy red berries.

Wet on skin: Oh man. This touches my skin and I get a huge whiff of fruity body odor. It's a very sharp fruity musk. It settles down after a few minutes and becomes less offensive, the pomegranate and currant being the strongest notes. It smells a bit medicinal though, like some kind of a berry scented ointment. Not really what I was hoping for.

Drydown: It smells like the remains of a pomegrante/berry body splash and some Juicy Fruit gum. Yeah, definitely Juicy Fruit gum. I never really liked that.

Overall: I'm kinda dissapointed. I love Sugar Skull and Midway, and was hoping this would be somewhere close to one of those, but it's not. I'm really surprised that this isn't working for me, it had such promise! Perhaps pomegrantate is not a good note for me? I think this is the first blend I've tried with it.

Despite my not enjoying this, I can still see many people enjoying it. If you're a fan of super-fruity, girly, bright scents, try it out. I guess I just need something a little richer and sexier. I think Wood Phoenix is actually closer to what I was hoping Candy Phoenix would be, so now I'm just even more excited about that bottle.

In the bottle: very berry-ish and SWEET. Can definitely smell the currants in the bottle.

On skin: This smells like pomegranate HI-CHEWS (Japanese candy). Some people have mentioned it smells like pomegranate soda and think I agree with that as well. There is definitely a sugary-fizziness to Candy Phoenix. Once the oil is on my skin, the currant note seems to fade away.

Dry-down: Candy Phoenix mellows a tad after wearing it for a bit, but the throw is still very strong throughout the day (for me anyway). The pomegranate and sugar notes are so prominent, I can smell it on my coat days later. Even my boyfriend likes this candy scent (he has a sweet tooth!).

This is my only bottle of a Phoenix scent, aside from BPAL's signature Black Phoenix, and I adore it. A must have for sweet-foodie lovers!

I really understand the comparisons between Sticky Pillowcase and this one -- on my skin, they're very close, but Sticky has a darker undertone to the scent (something like burnt sugar), while this one is really light, and yes, effervescent. Also, very fruity, though pomegranate vaporizes on me, leaving an indistinct, rather generic "fruit" scent.

I like it pretty well, but I'm not going to want to wear something that makes me smell like a piece of flavored sugar crystal very often, so I probably won't buy a bottle -- it's terribly, terribly girly and sweet, and I'm not really either. ^.^

hmmmm.....I thought this would be a little more crisp and light, but I am getting pink/purple candy dust. Like I am huffing the candy powder left in the bag. I am not getting creaminess at all.

Not for me.

Kind of reminds me of treat #1, but less jolly ranchers and more sweet tarts......

Very fruity and sweet, but it doesn't smell at all like Sticky Pillowcase to me. *pokes nose*

Need to skin test a few more times, but so far a keeper.

I was so worried when I read that it smells the same as Sticky Pillowcase (I didn't like SP). Thankfully it doesn't on me. :D

At first this smells like sweet sugared fruit, but as it dries it becomes tarter and not so sweet. There is a very very faint resemblance to SP, but this would be it's much more fun, brighter, pinker, not so sticky sweet cousin.

I really didn't think I would like this (because of the pomegranate which tends to make me a little sick), but I really really do. I think I need to pick up a bottle. I can see wearing this a lot during the summer when I'm feeling flirty and girly. :P