Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Libertarian

Gift with purchase of the forum-only Election 2008 scents. No description available.

in the vial: clove, orange and hyper-masculine men's cologne. :D

wet on skin: more of the same! :D

dry down: *sniff sniff* ahhh! the cologne-y aspect has blissfully headed off into the sunset leaving the clove and a sweet herb (sage? pennyroyal? mugwort?) in it's wake. it's spicy, kinda sexy and, i anticipate, rather nice for layering with Tabella! :D

in all: i will love this imp for all it's got. :P

A sort of clove-y, ginger-y, frankincense-y blend. It doesn't change much on my skin, and it isn't terribly strong. Warm and spicy. Love it while it lasts!

I'd love to know what's in this, because it burns my skin a little. It reminds me a lot of Te Po -- fizzy, boozy, and spicy, but with less of an edge. It gave me a visible rash, so I washed it off before it had a chance to dry.

Rather manly on me too. The clove is nice and there is a bit of citrus underneath. Very spicy and aromatic. I want to say it may have some balsam as well.

Mine is off to swap but I'm glad I got to sniff it on it's way through.

Too masculine for my skin, and a little too incense-y.

I wish I got the boozy smell some people get, because to me this is the epitome of the smoky, amber-y scents that just don't work for me.

sniffed from the imp: holy evergreen! its like the Little Green Tree air freshener in concentrated form!

tested a drop on skin while divvying up the rest for decants:

after about ten minutes of Little Green Tree Extravaganza, it settled down into a sortof familiar scent .... yeaaars ago i was given a perfume oil based on my astrological info, and the scent was mostly Frankincense and Myrrh, and the oil was a dark, murky fuschia pink... Libertarian reminds me a lot of that scent. it keeps going back-and-forth between seeming "Christmassy" and being an upscale cologne for men. with a murky pink tinge.

my scent-memory tells me this smells an awful lot like Penitence... so i need to go dig up an imp of that to test again.

overall, though, i like it. its kinda seasonal right now, and kinda warm and snuggly all at the same time. if i had more than a fraction of an imp, i'd probably wear it occasionally. if i could get a bottle of it, i would.

In the imp: Clove and citrus backed by something woody (evergreen? pine? juniper?)

Wet on skin: My nose is registering the citrus as lemon, but that might be due to the presence of the clove (citrus + clove = lemon because of Nanshe). I'm still not sure what the wood note is because I'm distracted by the citrus/clove combination, which tends to go kind of dirty on my skin.

Dry on skin: Luckily, this calms down as it gets dryer--the clove and citrus-that-might-be-lemon stop fighting and the high-pitched evergreen/wood note mellows. I quite like it after a couple of hours.

I did get something very green and citrusy when I applied, and perhaps some of the clove. As it dried, the clove and I'm guessing frankincense really came out.

Nice manly cologne. I'd even think about swabbing this on the hubby... except given it's rarity, I rather not get him hooked. :P

I just got a couple wee drops of this in a swap that I slathered on my boy, since it sounded like a masculine scent. My boy's skin chemistry sometimes amps up the sweetness in scents, and Libertarian mostly smelled like a smoky, sweet clove scent on him. It seemed a bit resinous and cologney in the drydown (maybe a bit of clean citrus and amber that others have mentioned). The boy thought it smelled nice and spicy, but said it wasn't a favorite. I didn't care for the smoky tone that Libertarian took on him, but it faded away within an hour. I guess that's good; I don't have to try to track down more of this for him now, lol.

This is a smoky sweet clove scent. Not cloying...just smoky but a little sweet with a hint of bitterness to round it out. I am so glad that I got to try this.

:joy:

Sniffed in imp: Light golden-peach coloured oil. Strongly spicy clove and cinnamon, fresh green herbs, maybe a touch of orange. Woody with an incensey edge.

Wet: Much nicer on my skin, though still very spicy. CLOOOOVE! Still a bit green, but much less so. This is sweeter and richer, almost creamy. I do still get a sort of dry wood, maybe oak, and there's some astringent tobacco for sure.

Dry: Softer and nicer and yummier as it dries; the clove is sharp and woody but doesn't bully here as it often does on my skin. Cinnamon and tobacco and oak. Also something sweet and a little incensey - frankinense?

Later: I still think there is some sort of green-herbal note that's sweet, but I can't place it. This reminds me a little of Odin in generaly feel, but much spicier with the clove and cinnamon. I notice the orange more on drydown, and it's the SAME primary note from Orange (Neil Gaiman)! Very faint, though.

Summary: Sweet, slightly spicy and smoky wood/incense blend with a touch of sweet orange fruit. The clove dominates on me for hours but eventually settles down - it's a team player on my roommate's skin, though. It's okay on me, but much nicer on him, so probably best for men. Good throw & longevity.

Aww. I'm sad I didn't like this, seeing as I lean more this way than anything else, politically. :(

Edited by fairnymph

Libertarian

In the Vial: Sharply herbal, medicinal.

Verdict: Not even gonna skin-test. I know, blasphemous, but this sucker has like, gone into my throat just from sniffing the imp, so I really don't fancy putting this on my skin. :P

Libertarian - The most obvious note from beginning to end is frankincense. Behind that is possibly a bit of smoky myrrh, and definitely some clove, and peeking out between the cracks, something citrusy, maybe tangerine? I really love this scent. It's smokey and woody and spicy and has depth and complexity. Lovely!

First sniff: Tart green citrus and maybe some dry wood underneath.

Wearing: It’s weirdly spicy on me, almost the opposite of the bottle-scent.

:::LIBERTARIAN:::

Libertarian was exciting to discover in a snaggle of swaps.

The free-spirited connotations that accompanies this brings fond memories and associations with a vast range of truly wonderful people.

The anticipation of how the Lab will interpret and portray the muse of the firebrand is near terminal!

From the Imp: First impression is almost... Yuletide? The Cinnamon, Clove, Orange Rind, and evergreen (Fir?) are all certainly remniscent of mulled wine, hot cider, and flames crackling in the hearth.

A second whiff brings out richer, sappier evergreen along with a more astringent note that could be Eucalyptus or could be Tea Tree.

Cedar would fit the profile also.

As the Cinnamon jostles for prominence with the wild, darkling greenery, Libertarian does seem more masculine in its leanings.

Wet on the Skin: For the briefest of moments the spice completely disappears, leaving the Orange and Evergreen to overwhelm the senses.

Cypress becomes suspect...

Libertarian is becoming increasingly masculine. The strongest impression at this phase is the great and forested outdoors playing house with one of those $125 bottle of colognes made by that family that still lives in a Scottish castle; that you can only find in exclusive shave shoppes.

The Dry-down: Libertarian definitely maintains a wild and pioneering spirit of independence. Incensier notes do a stunning job of tying everything together. Libertarian takes on a power of almost religious fervor... A crazy-eyed reverence.

If the spice were more prominent, then this would work as a unisex fragrance.

Libertarian is decidedly for Him.

Libertarian bestows the wearer with a barrel-chested, broad shouldered stance.

Libertarian is moustachioed, brilliantined, and lantern-jawed.

Libertarian would work, both, with an expensive suit of heavy cloth or shirtless and axe-wielding.

Libertarian receives a standing ovation as men's fragrance and easily deserves a 5 out of 5.

All hail the legend of BPAL!

Libertarian is delicious. It's warm and sexy and spicy. I received a bottle of this as a frimp! Can you believe my luck?

I agree with most of the reviews. It's main note seems to be clove. There is a note of citrus to cut that but I think it's orange. I don't smell lemon and lemon scents turn to pledge on me and this one doesn't. There is a slight undernote of something green. Definitely not pine though because that turns to pine-sol. Maybe it's fir?

This could be a fragrance for a man or a woman. I'm wearing it right now but I will probably save this for the fall or winter months when I want something comforting and warm. I live in the desert and it's over 100 degree's outside so this scent doesn't make much sense for me to wear today.

I'm giving this an 8/10 I really love it.

In bottle: Yummy in a very masculine, piney cologne sort of way. Wet: Still pine dominant, with a touch of citrus, clove, and I’m guessing a bit of musk. I’m betting the citrus is something like orange rind as it’s tart and not amping the way an ordinary orange note would. It’s either that or one of the less common tart citrus family members. It is ridiculously sexy on me, despite a hint of something a little peculiar, incensey, and mavericky compared to the dominant notes, possibly myrrh, perfect for the concept. There is a hint of something sweet, ginger maybe? I can’t tell. With wear, what I thought was pine is more like cedar, and the whole blend warms, softens, and smoothes out. Dry: Musky men’s cologne. High quality musky men’s cologne. Not as stunning as in the earlier stages, but still excellent.

Frimped with a recent order from...i think it was Absinthetics? Thank you!!

In the imp: Woods and spice. I actually really like it.

On me, wet: Very herbal and green. Wood, mint, clove, herbs, spice. I really like it. I'm not sure what, but there's something in this that reminds me a bit of The Robotic Scarab--I think it's the combination of herbs, whatever they are. It's got the same clear-glittery feel to me, but instead of being clear glittery red, it's clear glittery yellow-green. Also, I think there's a bit of musk in this, but it doesn't feel like it's taking over the blend, which is a really pleasant surprise. It's like a slightly musky combination of elements of The Robotic Scarab and Block Buster.

On me, dry: Musky herbal green woody sweetness. Very nice!

Sniffed: A lush foresty scent, sparkling with herbs, with dry-woody notes lurking in the background.

On skin: I can't wear this without thinking of my favourite forest blends, The Snow Storm (pure cold evergreen) and Moon of Small Spirits (lush floral-evergreen). Libertarian falls squarely between them: it is a cool, green forest with more herbs and less florals, overlaid on a discreet base of dry woodiness. There's another note that emerges upon drydown which I can't place: perhaps it's fruity? resinous? (After reading the reviews, I suspect it's clove.) These non-green notes are what distinguishes Libertarian from my other two favourites. It's a morpher -- now a bit resinous, now more woody, now even a hint of fresh fruitiness -- but always green. I've tested it several times in the past, and it can be quite the sparkling, slightly bitter herbal, but this time it's more woody and mellow. Colour impression is brilliant, emerald green fading into wood-brown.

Verdict: This scent definitely embodies the political libertarians: changing, varied, alternative and off-beat! However, the blend is too much like the Snow Storm and Moon of Small Spirits, and it's ultimately not amazing enough to unseat my favourites from their solid positions.

Wet: SHARP cologne! And a woodsy background.

Dry: Alright, the cologne scent is burned off. This scent is woods, to the max. Pretty sure I can detect some cedar in this. Fairly masculine.

Not really a "me" scent.

1/5

Libertarian didn’t work well on me. I suspect juniper among the evergreens. Grass, sharp forest, resin and spices.