Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
taz19

BPAL to represent each month, each season? Holidays, like Christmas?

:P Hello out there to all you kind and wise BPAL folks. I have yet another question which will probably scream "Newbie" but at any rate, here it is. I have noticed that most citrus perfumes smell very "summer" while most lavender and rose blends smell very "winter". Is there a citrus blend that is good all year? What other scents are good year-round? Thanks so much!

I think that first of all, you needn't worry too much about wearing the wrong scent at the wrong time of year if it's a scent you love. It's not like "Perfume Commandment #1: Thou Shalt Not Wear Kumiho After Labor Day". :P :D Anyway, that being said, if you want to find a citrus scent that is maybe a bit warmer and richer, for winter wear, I would recommend:

-Sudha Segara- I know there is no citrus in the description, but on me it is very much orange/ginger/milk. It's warm and comforting from the ginger, and I think very appropriate year-round.

-Carnal- This one is mandarin orange and fig, so it's a balanced, yummy scent for anytime.

For very summery citrus scents:

-Moxie (although this is a Panacea blend, so you can't buy it in imp form)

-Kumiho- again, no citrus in the description, just white tea and ginger, but it's sharp and citrusy to my nose.

-Embalming Fluid- green tea, aloe and lemon!

-Shanghai- green tea, lemon verbena, and honeysuckle

-Calliope- lavender, mint, bergamot, verbena, thyme, sweet orange, etc.

How do you feel about berry, plum, or other fruity scents? The following are lovely, with fruity notes plus added depth and sweetness, but are a bit warmer and darker in feel, so could be nice in colder weather as well:

-Morgause (purple fruits, incense, & violet)

-Bordello (plum, amaretto wine, & blackcurrant)

-Bathsheba (carnation, plum, & Arabian musk)

-Lady Macbeth (Bordeaux wine, red currant, thyme, & wild berries)

Hope that helps!

Edited by Capriquarius

I have to put some more thought into some specific recommendations, but I do wear Sudha Segara all year long - it's gingery, but it's that bright, citrusy type of ginger, so I find it light enough for summertime, but spicy and warm enough for winter.

There's also a good discussion here on "breaking the rules" that dictate that we save our heavy, dark scents for winter and the light and airy ones for summer.

There's also a good discussion here on "breaking the rules" that dictate that we save our heavy, dark scents for winter and the light and airy ones for summer.

Thank you for that link. There are some good points made. Plus, I don't know why I'm freaking out about seasons anyways...I'm from South Carolina - we only have ONE! :P ...And that's summer...all year. Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by TheMuse

Huh. On me Embalming Fluid has enough depth that I'd be fine wearing it in winter. It's got a lovely black tea drydown that feels very wintery to me. My only issue with hot weather scents is that I apply them lightly enough that they don't overwhelm others. Heck, some scents if applied too heavily overwhelm *me*.

Kalli

This is another thread that I thought would be just fine "unpinned" since it shows up easily upon a search for "holiday*" in this subforum. We're big kids and we can use the search engine (if not, it's time to learn! :P )

As always, you can PM me if you have problems finding a topic in this subforum or if you have any questions!

hello all

i was looking through some web pages on geisha and i read somewhere that geisha wear different color kimono for the different seasons and i started wondering what would be the best bpal scents for the different seasons?

i kinda figured white moon and snow moon are two of the best for winter, but what are some more for winter? and spring, summer and fall?

opinions please?

I think Scarecrow is perfect for August through September. <3 And occasionally when I just want to be reminded of August.

Came across this thread while doing a search .... I'm enjoying my first Halloween and Yule updates, but they've got me wondering if people wear their seasonal scents during the off season? I mean, would you wear Archangel Winter in June (northern hemisphere!) ? I know the same scents smell different in warm and cool weather, so perhaps the fall and winter scents just wouldn't work in spring and summer? Personally, I love Death of the Grave Digger (snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh) year-round!

This year, I was seasonal with my October choices...I tried to have ones that were halloweenies or halloween sounding (like Red Devil, Jersey Devil, Darkness, Wicked, etc....) Then, on All Saints Day, I wore Midnight Mass. :P

I wear Pumpkin blends throughout most of September and October, and then alternate them with dark rich scents with musk until it snows. Then I go to spicy warm scents containing cinnamon. Spring starts lighter scents, mostly containing tea. Summer is when I break out my two florals: rose and carnation.

Came across this thread while doing a search .... I'm enjoying my first Halloween and Yule updates, but they've got me wondering if people wear their seasonal scents during the off season? I mean, would you wear Archangel Winter in June (northern hemisphere!) ? I know the same scents smell different in warm and cool weather, so perhaps the fall and winter scents just wouldn't work in spring and summer? Personally, I love Death of the Grave Digger (snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh) year-round!

I wear the fall and winter scents all year, too. I've been wearing Jolasveinar, Midnight Mass, Devil's Night, and Cloister Graveyard In The Snow (from the Salon), even in the summer (just to name a few).

However.....since the weather has turned cooler, I've noticed that I don't like the heavy red musk scents as much. I've tried Fenris Wolf, Bloodlust, The Tell Tale Heart, and Lust (which might not have red musk, but to me it's a heavy, sultry scent)......all in the last couple weeks, in the cooler weather......and I end up not liking them. I do like all these scents when it's hot and sweaty outside.

I do like warm and spicy scents around the holidays, and I think I wore Shub for New Year's Eve last year if I remember correctly.

I thought I'd bump this, it seems like this it the time of year that we chatter in this topic the most.

Even though fall hasn't gotten cool enough for my taste yet, I'm finding that Pickled Imp is really invoking lots of "mmm, cool weather! holidays coming next!' feelings.

I usually wear what I want, when I want, regardless of whether it's heavy or light or has summer or winter connotations, but much to my surprise I think that I am not going to be able to wear this one when it's too warm. I put it on recently on a cool morning, but when it got unexpectedly warm later that day it was really too rich and sweet for me. (I am hoping that it really was just a reaction to Pickled Imp and P.I. alone and not a new development in my scent journey, I like wearing Snake Oil in the summer, although never slathered like I do in winter :P)

I usually wear what I feel when I feel like it, and that rotation doesn't change too much depending on the time of year. Unexpectedly, however, this autumn has brought on some changes: the Halloweenies seem to be even more wonderful now that Halloween has come and gone.

Fearful Pleasure (dried orange peels floating in simmering cider, roasted apples, smoldering firewood, chimney smoke, sassafras beer, warm hawthorn wood, and oakmoss) has become my go-to scent, and it is now much better than I first thought—it's rich, warm apple cider is perfect for the weather.

Samhain (damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein) likewise: its sweet woodiness was too strong for me earlier in the season, but now that it's cooler it's become wonderful sap-sticky warmth.

I was almost disappointed with both when they first arrived and I tested them in warmer weather, but now I can't keep myself away—especially from Fearful Pleasure. I'll probably wear both a bit during warmer weather, but probably not with the same enthusiasm of daily slatherings as I have now.

On the other end of the apple spectrum: Verdandi (deep herbs and apple with black amber) is a bright green apple on me, potent and sweet/sour and heady, and I find that I can only wear it in spring and early summer—even if that's not when green apples actually grow. It's just too vivid and fresh a green for any other time of year.

Obatala screams summer to me... I pretty much can't wear it in the winter any more!

Lick It Again and Knecht Ruprecht are very wintry scents for me... as is Carnal, which is very Christmas-y to me, for some reason. And Pumpkin Queen is a very cold-autumn scent to me. Can't wear that in the summer to save my life.

I have a Possets Cambienne from March a year or two ago which smells like crocuses and fresh earth, and I *have* to wear that in the early spring - wearing it any other time just feels wrong!

This is too good a topic for no replies in ages.

I think that a good way to represent each month in BPAL would be to wear the lunacy or lunacies for that particular month. :)

I can't wear the same scent every day, never mind one for a month. And it's not a BPAL thing, I was always like that. I have to be in the mood for a fragrance.