Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
beturtlement

Smells like Demeter 'Waffle Cone'?

Before I discovered BPAL, I was an avid Demeter hound, trying out every sweet, foody scent they had until I found the right one. When I found Waffle Cone, I dell head over heels in love. But alas, the staying power is horrible- maybe 15-20 minutes tops before I want to reapply. I would LOVE to find a BPAL that's similar. Anyone who's tried it, can you offer some suggestions? Midway sounds like it'd be perfect, but I know I'd need a miracle to find an imp of the stuff.

I'm new to trying to discern and describe scents, but on me, Waffle Cone was a very buttery, sweet, cake batter... but not a light, airy sweet (which usually turns to powder on me), and not at all "too sweet" or cloying. It was more warm, deep, and inviting than... gooey (hehe, didn't know how else to put it). There was definitely a burnt sugary and salty twinge in the background, kinda like a very dark caramel made with brown sugar. Very... toasty.

So far, out of all the imps I've tried, Bliss (while nothing like Waffle Cone) is my favorite, if that's any indication of my preferences. I need something that won't turn to fruit/berries (like Vice did) or floral (like Elegba did) on my skin. Eat Me was lovely, until it turned berrylicious, and Gluttony morphed into something totally unexpected: a spicy floral bouquet, with no true 'foody' connotations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance to all the expert noses out there. :P

Edited by beturtlement

Cockaigne is probably your best bet in the general catalogue. It's a strong, rich, enourmously foody scent. I like the currant tartness in Eat Me but I can consider the two against each other and Cockaigne is somewhat of a richer, foodier, darker scent.

Hellcat is more nutty but retains a lot of that sugary, buttery sweetness.

If you're okay playing with the Conjure Oils, #20 Love Oil was like heavy, buttery marzipan on my skin. A lot of people pull rose from it, but I found it really, really cake-y.

I'm also something of a Demeter fan (can you still get the tomato scent? I haven't seen that in my area in years) and I understand how quickly they fade--as I understand it they're made more as pick me ups than proper perfumes. All three of the ones I've listed have throw for days and days although I have to say that Cockaigne was one of the strongest oils I've ever tested to the point where I had to wash it off.

Let us know if you find anything else. There are a couple of threads that might help you: All I want in the world is to smell like a bakery and general foody scents.

I used to love Demeter. I had a bottle of Angel Food Cake (maybe I still do) and one time I literally soaked one of my summer tops with it. That seemed to work in keeping me smelling like it for as long as I wore it. I like bpal much better though. Dana O'Shee is a great angel food cake smell and a much better bang for my buck.

I've never tried their waffle perfume. If you want the syrup included you might like Pancake Breakfast. Is it still available through the trading post? If not you may be able to get one from someone on the forum.

I've never tried their waffle perfume. If you want the syrup included you might like Pancake Breakfast. Is it still available through the trading post? If not you may be able to get one from someone on the forum.

Actually, the lack of syrup was what I like. Anything that is supposed to be maple just turns extremely fake and sickening on me. I've had the fortune of smelling (and tasting!) real, homemade maple syrup up in Vermont, so nothing seems to even come close. Demeter also has a 'Waffles' perfume which does have the maple element added to it, but Waffle Cone is more like those pointy brown sugar ice cream cones.

Edited by beturtlement

chiming in to say that I also used to have a bottle of Demeter's Brownie...and it went *poof* and disappeared about about 15 minutes. I feel your pain, believe me.

If you can score a decant, I think Midway might be right up your alley. Or maybe you could try Gluttony. Gluttony definitely has that caramel toffee smell.

If you're looking for chocolate at all (you mentioned Bliss) El Dia De Reyes is WONDERFUL.

eta: durr, I just reread and saw that you were concerned about the relative rarity of Midway. You know, I see bottles of it up for sale pretty frequently, since they reissued it. You might just try posting an ISO here or on LJ. But I really don't think you'll have that much trouble finding it. :P

Edited by ZomaTheSadist

Or maybe you could try Gluttony. Gluttony definitely has that caramel toffee smell.

D'oh, I forgot to mention that I've already given that one a shot. *updates the original post* Unfortunately, once it dries, the caramel disappears and all I seem to get is spicy flowers. :/ I don't know what it is, but my skin seems to accentuate florals, which I can't stand.

If you're looking for chocolate at all (you mentioned Bliss) El Dia De Reyes is WONDERFUL.

*adds that to her wishlist* And so it grows... :D

eta: durr, I just reread and saw that you were concerned about the relative rarity of Midway. You know, I see bottles of it up for sale pretty frequently, since they reissued it. You might just try posting an ISO here or on LJ. But I really don't think you'll have that much trouble finding it. :P

You read my mind. :D I had just posted an ISO thread before I saw your reply. *crosses her fingers in hopes she gets a bite*

Cockaigne is the butteriest, foodiest BPAL I have smelled. It started out like butter cake or butter cookies on me, but I amped the butter to high heaven and ended up smelling like popcorn and roasted nuts. :D Hopefully you will have better luck.

If you're looking for a sugar-that's-about-to-caramelize scent, Chanukkiyah (a Yule from last year) is my favorite. The closest GC scent is Kill-Devil. Sugar Skull (a recurring Halloweenie LE) and La Befana (a Yule from last year) have a similar note.

Layering Cockaigne with one of the sugary scents might give you what you're after... :P

I third (fourth?) Cockaigne...it's the waffle-coniest blend I've tried.

I still love Demeter...our local WF has reduced them to half price in clearance, and it's been all I can do not to take them all home with me! I spray them under my arms and bits of the scent cling to my clothes, so I end up smelling the Demeter for hours with just a couple of squirts (and I feel so fresh! :P).

I have really weird skin chemistry, and while Cockaigne smells great in the bottle, it drys down to (the not entirely unlikeable) oatmeal with maple syrup. (Srsly.) I might try Knave of Hearts (cinnamon butter sugar that's not unlikeable at all), if I were you, or Grog, which is also a lovely buttery foody vanilla. And yes, Midway is amazing.

Hope that helps!

Have you tried Beaver Moon ‘05/Beaver'versary?

It is the only foody BPAL that's stayed foody on me, and with it's description of "Cheesecake and cupcakes, yo! This is Beaver Moon 2005 resurrected!" it might fit what you're looking for.

In the Will Call threads I think I recall some people mentioning that the Tilt-A-Whirl prototype smells like waffle cones (I could be wrong), so we might be getting a Demeter-like scent coming up soon. :P