Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
persianmouse

Eau de Ghoul

Dessicated skin coated in blackened ginger, cinnamon, and mold-flecked dirt, with cumin, bitter clove, leather, and dried blood.

This is much lighter on me than all those heavy notes would make me suspect. I think the ginger must be what I smell, along with a bit of dirt (which isn't overpowering like dirt tends to be in BPAL-land). Faintly sweet--is that the blood?--and growing increasingly spicy as it dries.
Very, very odd mix of notes. This isn't terrible but it's very...weird. Interesting, though, very much so!

I ordered a bottle unsniffed because it was recommended to someone looking for ginger ale-like scents. In the bottle I get straight-up gummy cola. It's so evocative of the candy to me that it's uncanny. On my wrist it's gummy cola with a hint of body odor, but a very sophisticated body odor, if you understand what I mean. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the body odor did not belong to me.

This is an interesting scent; I'm unsure what to do with it. I definitely need to try this again.

Oh wow! I actually like this!

A light haze of musk with citrusy-minty-leather and touched with clean fresh dirt. The ginger sweetens it up a little bit, so it's not so very manly. I'm not usually a fan of anything with notes of dirt swirling within, but this is nice!

Hmm.. as it dries down, I seem to be amping the dirt note, but the ginger is still there keeping it from going to mud on my arm.

I'll keep my decant and cherish it, as it is totally unique to what I usually wear :D

At first I thought this had to have champagne as a note as this smelled bubbily. When I looked at the notes I decided that the bubbily smell had to be the ginger. The dirt smell is there, but not overpowering. The clove adds a bit of spice. No leather on me.

This reminds me very much of one of my favourite LE's, Faunalia. It has that same fizzy, effervescent quality but only much sweeter. I don't get any dirt or leather just bubbly gingerale goodness with faint hints of blood and a very uinisex cologney vibe. I actually really like this and may have to get a big bottle OR just maybe layer Unfortuante Shopping Cart and Faunalia to get a similar effect.

This is a really strong, spicy dirt scent with a pleasant bit of bitterness. perhaps that is the blood. The leather is very subtle and doesn't overwhelm everything. If you're a fan of spiced scents, as I am, don't be afraid to try this one.

The clove, leather and dirt are the main elements in this blend to my nose. Surprisingly the dirt note isn't completely taking over like it usually does. There's a bit of spice here almost giving it the scent of a dirty aftershave, quite masculine.

Interesting, but not my thing, I'll pass.

In The Bottle

Sweet and spicy dirt

On Application

Lighter and thinner than expected. As aboce and kind of sweet.

Dry Down

What a strange scent. I almost get parsley. Every single note listed screamed that this would be a perfect scent for me but alas it is pure fail.

Rating (0-5)

When I first put it on it almost smelled a little lemony - must be the ginger I am smelling. Anyway - quite pleasant. Then as it dries it turned sweet on me and just kind of meh - I wonder what in the world could be turning sweet on me with this description - ginger, cinnamon, mold flecked dirt, cumin, bitter clove, leather and dried blood - hmmmm

When I first read the description, I was terrified to try it. Absolutely terrified. But then I read the reviews, and they weren't that bad...so then I just got curious. Well! I finally tried it...and at first it smelled like straight-up Sprite. That went away, and now it's a seriously amazing ginger ale scent. I do get a mixture of the dirt, cinnamon, and the clove and maaaaybe some leather underneath the fizzy ginger ale...but, yeah. Mostly ginger ale. Awesome! I'll definitely be keeping this one around. It'll be great in warmer months!

Imp: ginger, and mens shaving soap, the kind you would use with a straight razor.

Wet: ginger, shave soap, and smoke.

Drydown: ginger, shave soap, smoke, cinnamon, clove, and I swear roasted marshmellows.

Dry: all of the stuff from drydown, and now the leather, and a faint bit if blood come out.

Overall: when I read the notes I didn't think I would like it at all. The dessicated skin sounded nasty, but I think that's where the smoke came from. It was a campfire type smoke too, not the burning hair, and skin I was expecting, thank god. This was very was, and spicy, lasted along time, abd had a good throw. Every once in a while I would get a wiff of dirt when I reached for something, but if I brought my wrist to my nose I couldn't smell it. Sad because I love the bpal dirt note. I really liked this, but I don't know if it's too manly for me to wear. Try on husband for sure.

I've had this imp for a few years now, so it's aged a bit.

Wet:

Bright and citrusy with an undercurrent of cologne. As it dries woody, cola-like notes begin to emerge. There is a distinct "fizzy" top note which I'm guessing is the ginger.

Dry:

Rooty ginger ale. There is a dirt scent underneath everything but it's very subtle and reminds me of hotel amenities. It's not a bad thing, some of the dirt scents like Nosferatu make me gag so if you've had bad experiences with dirt scents in the past don't be afraid to try this. The leather in this scent makes it lean a little more to the masculine end of the spectrum but a woman could still wear this beautifully.

After an hour:

This has morphed into a very soft and slightly spicy cologne. Gone are the fizzy citrus notes, as well as any undercurrent of dirt. It's very pretty but not the ginger ale dry down I was hoping for.

Edited by TilHelvete

Wet: This has the same effervescent ginger note I get from Gnome, mixed with something dark and sinister and brooding. A bit earthy, a bit smoky.

Dry: Wow. This is not what I was expecting. It's as if Gnome and Zombi had a love child. Dirt, and effervescent ginger, with a bit of cinnamon. It's a bit dusty too. I really only wanted to try it because I love The Graveyard Book so much, and this was the scent that sounded the most wearable for me. I like it much more than I expected to, and am contemplating adding it to the "want a bottle" list.

This one starts out with the lab's dirt note, mint, and ice. Dries to a comforting, creamy, muted spice with a touch of snow. I like this, but it ends up being rather faint.

A ghoulish life is a pleasant life for me. 

Wet: I savory spices resting in loamy soil come out first. Then a sweet spiced ginger comes through with a beautifully rich clove that doesn’t want to dominate but enhance the experience. For an instance I swear I pick up a spray of lime. 

Dry: If this is what a ghoul smells like then I need more of this in my life! Rich spice and earth still remain consistent as it did in the wet stage. 

The longer this wears the softer and more loamy it becomes. A hint of ginger masking the decrepit hangs on so fondly. 

The throw is at medium length on me and I find it so very pleasant. 

Final thoughts: This is an earthy spiced scent I’ve been looking for and wanting for the longest. This blends into my natural body chemistry so well that it is absurd. This is a scent that feels right especially as the sun dips below the horizon and something a bit deeper is wanted. 

I will admit that I will need a few backup bottles of this.