Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allidavie

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bottled happiness. Helps reverse misfortune, brings light and laughter to even the most troubled and discordant place, and aids in alleviating the stress and discontent that accompanies so many of life's daily trials.

it is sweet, but it isn't sickening or anything. I just like it! as for it's effects, really positive. I was wearing it at the beginning of a car trip, and at the end of it (7 hours) my dad and I were laughing so hard and in such a good mood. it might've been a little cabin fever, but usually we're both pretty grumpy after so long in the car. I like the scent, it's pleasant. definitely a good picker-upper.

This is the first BPAL scent I have ever tried (I tried my second one today, Black Cat--I'm very drawn to the Voodoo blends for whatever reason).

In the bottle, and also when I first put it on, I thought this smelled juicy. Almost cloyingly sweet, and maybe if I weren't a fan of "foody" perfumes I would have thought it was too much. However, since I prefer foody and fruity scents above all else, I immediately loved it.

My husband also said he liked the initial scent, but when it dried down he was a much bigger fan. On me, it dried down to an almost musky scent, but still retained a candy-like sweetness. There must be something about my body chemistry--almost everything dries down a bit musky on me. Anyway, this one was definitely what it was advertised to be--bottled joy. I just ordered the full-size bottle of it today, and I am favorably impressed with BPAL now and purchased some more imps as well (mostly more Voodoo Blends).

On me this was really sweet and reminded me of bubblegum - not something I particularly care to smell like! So I frimped it along to someone else. :P

I’m in need of a little joy. The construction upstairs started before nine, and I got to sleep at about 4:30. So:

In the imp: something bright, and the only scent my mind wants to name is fruity bubblegum.

On the wrist: My nose isn’t educated enough to describe this. And there’s no helpful description on the db, either. It smells…bouncy. I’ll go look up reviews and see if that helps. (People are saying bubble gum. And fruit. Maybe I’m not as mad as all that.)

Dry. Veers away from the bubblegum into something different on each wrist. The right is almost caramel-y. The left: dammitall, why can’t I define this? But as aromatherapy goes, it seems to be working a bit. Hasn’t prevented the builders from drilling through the floor upstairs through my ceiling.

After 15 minutes: left wrist: still a sweet, sweet smell. Reminds me of a carnival. Right has faded to vanilla: reapplied.

About an hour: no real throw, and still sweet. I still want to say toffee (American kind) or bubblegum.

Three hours: faded to a sort of hot fried-bread-with-icing-sugar smell, with what I think is a bright amber. I am getting fond of amber. It seems to increase throw and last time. At least a 7/10; might be higher if it weren’t so sweet. Can be persuaded to swap for something else lurrrvely.

Edited by CrazyDiamond

In the bottle: light and lovely, fruity-floral candy. Super sweet, innocent, and full of smiles, like a little girl sitting on a tree branch with a lollypop in her mouth.

On me (wet): It's not changing much, and that's a first for me. Admittedly, I haven't tried wearing many aromatherapy scents because of my odd skin chemistry. Amazingly, the sweetness stays put and doesn't get all crazy and cloyingly overwhelming.

On me (dry): (after a couple of hours) Still sweet and cute and fruity, but now much more creamy. I'm also getting a different version on each wrist (I apply directly to my left and rub on to my right). On the left it's nearly faded away, but what remains is sort of fruity-vanilla candy. On the right it's like an English toffee with a hint of sweet fruit. Strawberry maybe? I'm not good at picking out individual notes if they're blending well.

It's still very sweet and joyful. I keep getting this picture in my mind of a human (and therefore not pink-haired) version of Strawberry Shortcake.

Conclusion: Definitely a keeper for a locket scent, and while it won't land in my top 10 wearables, it's definitely something I'd wear for a pick-me-up.

I originally ordered an imp of this because I'd read that it smelled like cotton candy to some people. When I opened the imp, though, it was pure orange-flavored bubblegum--fruity and sugary, with that powdery note from the dusting of sugar that they put on bubblegum (to keep it from sticking to the wrapper, I assume). I was disappointed, but I tried it anyway. On my skin, it turned to orange Pez, again with that powdery note. It was pleasant, but not something I really wanted to smell like, so it languished with the other imps of similar meh-ness.

Fast forward a few months. I tried it on the other night and...I won't say I fell in love. Some scents are true love, some are passionate crushes, some are naughty affairs. This one is more like when you meet someone at a party, then bump into her a few months later in the grocery store and start talking and realize that you could be really good friends.

Which is my weird way of saying that when I put on the Joy Mojo, I can't stop sniffing my wrist and smiling. It makes me feel like a kid in summertime, happy and free. And it still smells like candy, but maybe the sugary note deepened just a bit, because I really like it now. It's such a cheerful, orange-and-pink, sunshine-and-lollipops scent. :P

in imp: fruity bubble gum, maybe a faint hint of cinnamon redhot?

on me: fruity candy sweetness. It kind of reminds me of how the Strawberry Shortcake doll smelled. It's an artificial sweet smell but in a nice way. Occaisionaly I think I get whiffs of something lemony.

after a few mins: It's now a softer, more subtle fruity smell, occaisionally it morphs into a nice caramel scent.

Overall: I don't really feel extra happy but it seems like it would be a good mood maintainer. Has oodles of staying power. One downside though is that it really stained my wrist yellow, so I must be sure and only apply this on discreter places.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

It certainly has a happy, upbeat vibe to it. It's warm and optimistic, cheerful like a morning person. This feels like a hot summer day, girls wearing bright colored clothes and wearing candy scented perfume. It's a bit too sweet, I feel as if I have over-indulged in Cotton Candy and am left with that sick feeling too much sugar yields.

This is feminine, vibrant and young. It's lovely, but too heavy for me.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

2 / 3 : It's overpowering. It made me nauseous and gave me a headache, but, as it wore, it toned down and become a lovely sugary vanilla that really lingered. Oh, but that first stage was killer.

Edited by MaidenGenevive

This is a fruity, fun, super-sweet scent that does as it promises to uplift the spirit. I am a sucker for the sugary blends, and this one is nothing short of candy! It reminds me of a kids fruit punch drink, actually, with a orange/strawberry/cherry kind of sugary giddiness to it all rolled into one. Or maybe one of the fruit punch kinds of Bubbalicious bubble gum they made back when I was a kid. It is a juicy, powerful scent with a good amount of throw, and lasts for quite a while without changing or fading.

Love, love, love!

Edited by mystery213

Got this as a frimp from the generous Vanille! Wet, it was really sweet and fruity--like cough syrup or strawberry Bubbleyum. Stayed fruity dry. Smelled like V8 berry blend juice! This went a little plasticky on me for a bit, but that eventually evolved away into a slightly powdery undertone. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. I think I like it!

I knew I was going to have a long day ahead of me when I woke up so I grabbed my imp of ACJM as I ran out the door.

Wet: Bubblegum! Like Juicy Fruit. Brings to mind the colours pink, red, yellow and orange. Slightly sharp? Fairly quickly the sharpness leaves and when it does it leaves behind SUGAR!

Drydown: This lasted for hours and hours - I put it on at 7am yesterday morning and it's still hanging around at 2am! Goes from a sugary bubblegum scent to vanilla and sweetness. It's a kind of chocolatey vanilla, or maybe the lab have created the Mary Poppins medicine scent - a different flavour/scent for each person! I adored that stage so much I actually didn't want to eat anything other than my own arm for lunch. No sharpness left at all - very smooth.

As for voodoo effect? Well, I felt very cheerful and bright before lunch and every customer I served seemed pretty happy too (when the weather's cold and we're busy people tend to get a bit ratty) But I re-applied after lunch and had not such a great afternoon, although that may be more down to the huge delivery and lack of help than the scent! I was in an OK mood when I decided to put this scent on so I'm not sure if it'd bring me out of one of my fouler moods, but as a cheer-bringer ACJM seems to work very well!

light, citrusy, fruity bubblegum. =) Not a scent I'm personally fond of or would have ordered just to smell, but it's pleasant if you like it

I bought this for the magic effect actually and didn't find it worked. I tried this three times - twice when I was ok, once when I was feeling pretty bad, no effect.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

First sniff through bottle: I get lemonade and cotton candy. Similar to Lush's Candy Fluff, but a lot better.

Wet:I get a raspberry or berry note that blends nicely with the cotton candy.

Dry: It gets weaker on me unfortunately, as all candy scents do. It's still lovely, but I have to put my nose right to my wrist and sniff hard to smell it. It's worth it though.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo has a lovely smell- not entirely unlike Van Van, but without the lemon, and more like a candy shop than a bakery.

Wet, it's bright, fruity, and ultra-sweet. On drydown, it starts to have a creamy aspect along with the candy sweetness.

I like the smell of this very much, though for some reason it seems a bit generic to me- there's nothing that, in my mind, really makes it stand out. I can't speak for its efficacy- I'm having an awful day and can't say it's made me feel better, but I'll definitely try it again in the future.

First on this is sweet and creamy like blueberry pie in some way with some very fresh blueberries with their tart/sweet smell. This dries down to start smelling strongly of fruity bubblegum however. This ends up being overly stick sweet mixed with some kind of plastic edge which is definitely a bit much for me.

Rating: 2/5

Source: Imp from the Lab.

This is really hard to describe, especially since there aren't any notes listed, and I'm dreadful at identifying notes without a cheat sheet. It's definitely sweet, but I wouldn't say candy-sweet. There's a richness and complexity in there--I want to call it 'spicy' but dang if I have any idea what spices it might be--nothing I can recognize. I think there's a smidge of vanilla in there, too, but it's pretty hard to pick out. All in all, it's warm and sweet but not cloying on me--I actually really like the way it smells.

Not sure about the voodoo properties. I'm feeling kind of blue today, but on the other hand I'm handling it OK instead of just sinking further and further into a funk as I often do, so that's positive.

In the imp: "mmm, bubble gum". Normally that would be an instant "no" for me, but for whatever reason, it works here.

On my skin, it still has a bubble-gummy scent, but it's a little bit warmer and richer.

The longer I have it on, the more it smells like the dry, hard bubble gum you get in the 25-cent machines outside the grocery store - and then, weirdly, it turns into cocoa. ?!?!? I have to pass this one along; it's just too weird, and I didn't get any of the "happiness in a bottle" that goes along with with.

Oh wow this is yummyness on my wrist. I wanna drink the bottle. Such a softly sweet. I smell that bubblegum that people keep commenting on, but it's not that cheepo bubblegum out of the wrapper type.. it's gum that when you first put it in your mouth, that sweet yummyness that you taste is kinda like what this smells like. I get a faint mango-ish or possibly a toned down type of fruit? Maybe it's lotus? I've gotten a candyish smell from lotus.. Oh man this is beautiful!!!!

I like this very much.

While it doesn't smell at all like Lush's Rock Star, I get the same feeling when I wear it: Youthful, sticky-sweet, the embodiment of PINK.

Though this is sweet and warm and complex in the bottle, on my skin it turns quickly to plain ol' bubblegum; not altogether an unlikeable scent, but not something I want to smell like every day. I can't wait to try this one in my new scent locket!

In the Bottle: Bananas? It's a really sweet almost candy smell.

On Me: The sweetness stays, but is mellowed out by something I can't quite place. Reminds me of a LUSH scent. A bit of bubblegum, with a bit of citrus. Definitely brightens my mood. Let's see if it brings good things too!

Goes on cherry cotton candy. Not as strong as Jailbait, but a lovely happy candy scent that makes me smile. This is one of those scents which is what BPAL is all about!

imp: super-sweet fruits and punch and lollipops. kinds like a less-sexy version of jailbait.

wet: sweet fruits, a slight bubblegum scent, fruit punch, candies. this is making me smile. i forsee a few bottles here...

dry: this dries soft and sweet and pretty. this will be my fragrance for this coming summer.

In the vial, sweet and lovely, bubblegummy, but also something tangy lurking in the background!

Wet on my skin: Very fruity sweet, also something that is really very tangy-sharp on me

Dry on my skin: Much the same as the wet stage, though instead of being bright, it is now more mellow, so the tang is not so sharp. We need to spend more time together, to see if she is a keeper! :P

Hmm, I think I can just about detect a plasticky note! :D

In the imp: BUBBLEGUM

Wet: Yup, bubblegum. After a minute, it becomes strawberry bubblegum, with a candy-strawberry note amping. There's a minute or two when I get a strange, boozy or medicinal note, but that doesn't last long.

Dry: Strawberry bubblegum. No thanks.