Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allidavie

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bottled happiness. Helps reverse misfortune, brings light and laughter to even the most troubled and discordant place, and aids in alleviating the stress and discontent that accompanies so many of life's daily trials.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo on me is a combination of the milky-white stuff in dandelion stalks and sweet-tarts candy. When first applied, there is an herbal, astringent note and then as it wears, the candy sweetness lifts above it and bubbles with happy sugar jubilance.

All in all, it's way too sweet for me to wear as perfume, but I have used this with a candle to great success. There's just something about it that is cheerful and anxiety-banishing. My imp has been leaking all over the place, I like to think it's a sign of uncontainable joy. :P

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Rating (efficacy): 0/5

Summarised in one word: Sweet!

In the imp: Sweet! Fruity, laced with a something light, green and herbal.

On skin, wet: Sickly sweet, like bubblegum dipped in syrup and sugar. Not bad -- it's actually nice -- but way too sweet for me.

On skin, dry: Other than becoming a bit powdery and warmer, no change.

Conclusion: I wore this on a day I was in a foul mood for no good reason. Did it help? Not especially. I was still in a foul mood hours later, hours after the scent had worn off. As a scent, it's nice, but I have Midway for my 'want something sweet, NOW!' cravings.

Edited by Aredhel

Wow. This morphs into several different foodie confections on me.

First on it is like candied oranges and strawberry bubblegum. But it's also a bit powdery, like sweet tarts. The boy said that I smell like a candy shop. I take that as a compliment. That's just the sort of thing that I aspire to smell like, lol.

In the drydown this starts to remind me more of cookies, almost a light gingerbread scent. I'm also getting the fruity cotton candy that others have mentioned. This is highly sugary, and I love it.

After several hours this has left a warm vanilla and sugar cookies scent lingering on my skin. I can easily see myself getting a full bottle of this one :P

I keep calling this my "happy spicy bubblegum perfume", which is a little unfair as I have never had any bubblegum that really matches the delightful fruitiness of Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. On me, at least, it stays very close to what I smell in the bottle, although it really sparkles on my skin. I cannot for the life of me pick out any of the fruits in it besides strawberry and a sort of citrus.

I reach for this one a lot when I'm feeling frustrated or just plain blah. It's a happy scent that cheers me up and reminds me to take care of myself. It also helps me get to sleep when my mind just doesn't want to relax and let me drop off already.

...to me this smelled like sticking your nose into a bag of pick and mix candy that has some bubblegum in it - the kind of bubblegum that has the powdered sugar on the outside. There's a vague cotton candy-ish element to it. But it isn't sickeningly sweet, or all that foody...

I completely agree. I tried this for the first time as soon as I got my order from the lab. It was syrupy sweet, too much so. Its been more than a month since then and I just tried it again. Its beautiful. Im suprised! I thought I would end up swapping this one for sure... Someone out there has an icon of a beautiful red-haired lady amongst floating pink bubbles for this scent. That is it. Thats the scent and that's the feeling. Gorgeous.

And I put it on following a fall out with someone and it COMPLETELY eased me. I wasnt expecting that, or thinking of the intention at all. I just realized that it had melted away...

It took me a couple of days to figure this out: It smells exactly like the Bonne Bell Lipsmacker flavor "Jellybean"! It is sweet without being too sweet. I will be buying a bigger bottle with my next order. It really seems to work too. I have had happier days when wearing it!

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

In the imp: this smells fun!!! It's like grape bubblegum and sugared pineapple!

Wet on skin: fruity fun! This is like sugared fruit!

Dry on skin: this smells yummy-like pear, pineapple, and maybe peach and grape. This is a sweet, fun, fruity scent, sugary (and maybe with something like honey?) but with a tart and dry flipside. This scent does make you smile! It also reminds me of something from Lush, but I can't name it now.

After a while: is there honey in this? I think there is a type of honey here, or maybe a sugary note that mimics honey…it's a sweet, syrupy scent that coats the fruity (now smelling like cherries and kiwi!) scent. I'm sure there's vanilla here too. This scent reminds me of the scent that clings to my skin and clothes after I've been to the Lush shop in Covent Garden! That's a good thing! It also smells a bit like…Playdoh. Which is also a good thing-I like the scent of Playdoh and it seems apt in a joyful scent like this, it brings back happy childhood memories.

Verdict: this scent is fun! It's sweet, fruity, and candy like, with nuances of honey, fruit sweets, bubblegum, vanilla and Playdoh. This scent is light hearted and without anything heavy or moody, and brings back pleasant childhood playtime memories. It really does bring a smile to your face! I really enjoy it and will definitely keep the imp.

This was a frimp in my last lab order. Its a very sweet bubblegum marshmallowy type of scent, but very uplifting. It made me want to smile. I was happy and relaxed all day when I first tried it.

And my sister, who thinks everything smells "funny", loved this one.

In the bottle this is bubblegummy, but not in the way that lotus usually is. Rather it is like that powdery, slightly touch to chew pink bubble gum that was popular to give out on Halloween when I was little. On it is slightly less fruity and a little spicier. This may not be one of my top ten, but it was still nice.

Pink bubblegum, sweet tarts and marshmellows.

This blend is so yummy. Deffinately makes even a bad day just a little bit better.

Reminds me of being a kid in a candy shop. All the sweet sugary smells mingling into sugar-overload goodness.

In the bottle: Sweet fruits and candies. This one made me smile smelling it!

On the skin: This is taking on a slight powdery smell now although it is still very fruity.

Later on: Completely disappeared!

The first time I wore this, I loved it - my scent impressions were that it was a bright vanilla combined with something fresh and fruity with the undercurrent of the herbs that seem to underly a lot of the Voodoo and ritual blends. The vanilla was a lasting scent, which alone was enough to bring me some joy.

Alas, on subsequent wearings, this scent didn't really agree with me much which effected the overall effect of the blend.

Whoo! ACJM- you're one potent blend! I like this Voodoo Blend and I haven't really had the best of luck so far in this category. This is sweet, candylike, and to me, full of rich cherries and berries. I swear it really can uplift one's mood. If it helped me lately with all that's going on, it can help anyone! :P The drydown is pretty- it still is amazingly powerful with a lot of throw. It stays on the skin a long time and I like that. Big bottle, here I come!

In the Imp ~ Wet, juicy berries and sweet cotton candy.

Wet ~ Bubble Gum. Sticky and sweet. Strawberry Bubblicious Bubble Gum (from my childhood) to be exact.

On the drydown ~ It loses some of the sticky-sweet aroma and mellows out to a mild marshmallow-y fragrance with a fruity bite to it.

I will have to test the joy properties of the oil out ~ I will wear this a few times to see if it helps to inspire joy in me.

:D

It is a "happy" sort of fragrance... it's hard to be very serious when you smell like Bubble Gum, Cotton Candy and Marshmallows. :P

Edited by BlackDahlia

In the Imp: Hmmm....it's VERY sweet, almost cloying, but I can pick up some notes. First, I smell bubble gum (lotus?) and under that there's a syrupy fruit smell that I think is cherry, and over the top there's a bite of a sweet spice like cinnamon.

Wet: Bubbleyum bubble gum, unadulterated.

Early dry down: The bubblegum scent remains predominant on me, but the spice has risen a little to the surface to make it a bit more grown-up. Mind you, I said "a bit," not a lot,

Dr down: Overall, this stayed a very sweet, very youthful, bubblegum fragrance. It reminded me of Lolita, and that is not a good thing. The boy and I kept giggling as we smelled it, but not because it made us joyful, just because it smelled so darn much like Bazooka bubblegum. It's not a *bad* fragrance, mind you, it's just distracting, overly sweet, and not at all me. I can see this working well on tween age girls or the cute blonde sorority types. It's just not me.

Off to the swap pile it goes.

In the bottle, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo smelled happy and made me smile. Once applied, however, it smelled more like artificial grape and plastic. I will probably place this in my "Swaps" pile.

In the bottle: Pink and sweet.

Wet: Bubblegum!

Dry: Bubblegum! It's that 'Bazooka' type, with the white powder on the outside of the little square. How weird.

Voodoo effectiveness: Good. It did seem to lighten my mood considerably. :P

Edited by harmonyfb

This is amazing. I tried it out one evening when I got home tired, liked the soft, sugary scent, and didn’t think much more about it. A little while later I noticed that I was feeling very playful (downright giddy, in fact). My crazy conure thinks this is exactly the right frame of mind, and wonders why I’m not like that more often. I guess now I will be – I definitely enjoyed it, and plan to wear this often – it’s a good thing I bought a big bottle.

The next time somebody tells me they don’t believe in magic, I’ll just dab a little of this on them! Hee hee!

:P

In the imp: This smells very sweet and fruity. As I'm not much into the fruit scents, this put me off a bit. Plus, I have had absolutely no success with the Voodoo Blends category...:P

Wet: Well I'll be darned, I like this! The fruitiness doesn't bother me at all. It is certainly a happy scent, and smelling it did make me smile.

Drydown and wear: I'm with whoever said Bubblelicious gum. This dries down to a cheerfully sweet (but not stale, thank God) and fruity perfume. I like the initial explosion more, but this remains nice on dry-down. This will go on my "B buy list."

I am reviewing this not because any more needs to be said about the scent, but because I am truly wearing this to get myself out of a funk. I want to see if it'll help.

Hmmm strawberry bubblegum... not the way to improve my mood, sadly. I gravitate towards spicy scents for that. We'll see if it works anyway. It is awfully strong- I put a dab on my wrist and can smell it with my hands far away from my head.

It's very strange though... after a while when I lean in towards my wrist I actually find myself giggling a bit. Placebo affect maybe, but it surprised me how much more optimistic I was suddenly feeling. I really do hate smells like this.

It's freaking me out...

I did just laugh in my office and that's uncommon. Considering that my preconceptions were that this was going right to the swap pile, I am impressed.

Hours later it's still strong, and sniffing it makes me smile before I even realize I am doing it. I just took a whiff and ... then noticed I was grinning. So odd, and interesting.

I like how it smells in the imp. I was looking for something really cheerful and uplifting today, because my mood has been out of whack, so I thought that ACJM would be ideal. As I'm applying it, though, it smells a lot like black licorice- did anyone else get that? Once on my skin, the licorice skulks away and brings up a sort of spiced strawberry shortcake doll scent, and I'm a bit puzzled. This is not what I was expecting, sadly, and I don't think I'm going to end up keeping it. Sad!

Sweet tarts. In the imp, on me, nothing but sweet tarts. Which I hate.

Here's what's strange. Even though I dislike the scent ... it really did cheer me up. I was in a black mood when I put it on, just dabbed some on my wrists and temples, and later that day I was bopping around humming to myself.

Weird.

A.

First Impression: Cotton candy with a twist.

Dries down to: Flaky, buttery pastry, sprinkled with sugar, loaded with whipped cream and drizzled with wildberry juice and caramel.

Additional Comments: This is one of the nicer "sweet" scents around, not cloying or burnt smelling like a lot of them turn on me. It's more of a luscious, decadent dessert.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

This smells like a cross between sweet tarts and cough syrup... but I really don't care about that right now.

I'm having one of those days where I suddenly start crying for no reason and can't stop, and I couldn't see very well driving my stupid car and I had to come home and just sit on the couch and bawl. Then I slathered ACJM on my wrists and hands.

Since putting it on 10 minutes ago, my brow is a little less creased, and thankfully I have stopped bawling. Every time I catch a whiff of it I keep thinking "Beth made me some joy mojo... Beth made me some joy mojo..."

It's helping.

Sweet tarts! Glad I'm not the only one that smells this. :P

It -is- a happy scent; slightly nostalgic in a good way.