Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allidavie

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bottled happiness. Helps reverse misfortune, brings light and laughter to even the most troubled and discordant place, and aids in alleviating the stress and discontent that accompanies so many of life's daily trials.

Aunt Caroline is bringing me bad mojo and no joy with this one. It's brown sugar over burnt plastic. Vile.

I think that Aunt Carolines Joy Mojo does work - it's certianly a bright, sweet scent.

It starts out with bubblegum ... then as it dries I am sure that this is mixed with something floral like carnation or sweetpea.

I wore this to work one day as a first test, it did make me feel a bit more uplifted. It lasts for ages but there is something in the very final dry down of this which is not so pleasant. I can't put my finger on what it is though - maybe something spicy, like ginger mixed with bubblegum ... starts out ok, and works to uplift my mood - but it doesn't stay this way.

Edited by becca_s

Cotton candy! :yum:

Wet on my skin, this opens a lot like The Wiley Grasser minus the flowers and pine. It smells like that cotton candy note plus maybe a little strawberry or some other red fruit. I want to eat it in this stage! Unfortunately, the good stuff doesn't last. It goes plasticky, like one of those little waxy strawberry candies you can get at the dollar store. Such a promising beginning, but it really falls flat on my skin.

This is great in a really interesting way. It's sort of a mix of Bazooka Joe bubblegum, something like licorice or star anise, and an undertone of something herbal that keeps it from getting too sweet. Just looking at the notes, it's not something that I would have ordered for myself, but I got it as a freebie, and I'm SO glad I did. Aside from the smell itself, it also seems to be working, lifting me out of a pretty dark mood. I'll definitely be coming back to this one again.

I'm taking the GRE tomorrow, so I could really use some stress-relief and good luck!

Imp: Bubblegum! Pink bubblegum and lots of flowers and fresh, bright, sugared citrus.

Wet: Sweet licorice in bright colors, like those English licorice all-sorts, and a gorgeous and very subtle musk, along with that same citrus and floral. And something like the waxy vanilla from Tombstone. It's really nice, and not anywhere near as girly as I thought it would be from the initial sniff.

Dry: This doesn't seem to have that strong a throw, but when I walked away from my desk and walked back I caught lingering whiffs of a lovely, bright, fruit-licorice-vanilla scent that was perfectly charming. It's hard not to be cheered up by this, as it smells like the grown-up version of a candy store.

In the Imp (ITI): Oh yes, I do get bubblegum, some kind of wine, maybe a little orange rind. There is also a little something herby in there.

Wet: Yep, there's the tell-tale cherry-cough syrup of wine, followed by orange zest, light vanilla, and bubblegum.

Dry: Dried, I get mandarin berry, vanilla, and something that's a touch powdery. It isn't nearly as sticky-sweet as it is when wet or in the bottle.

I've worn ACJM at least a half dozen times now, and I'm finally gonna review it, dammit!

It smells “sunny.” I’ve never tried any BPAL that smelled quite this bright. A little candyish and citrusy, maybe lemony. Or something more obscure like pineapple or some other tropical fruit. With extra sweetness making it smell like gum. At one point when I was trying to identify the scent, I remember settling on "lemon and caramel." An unusual combination, but that's what it smells like to me! It is indeed a very happy, joyful scent. I definitely get lemon from it, as I wafted my arm past my nose at one point and thought "did I put on Dorian today?" before I remembered what I was testing.

On my skin it's still nice, citrusy, but just not as exciting. It becomes too subtle and simple, I think. If I ever invest in a scent locket, I'll have to try Aunt Caroline in it.

Edited by bellumed

At first all I get is sweety fruity fruity sweet fruit. Maybe strawberry and lemon. Then there's a really pretty, almost floral scent. And then later something more resinous and incensey maybe? But still fruity and sweet. It's lovely. A very happy scent indeed.

Bottle: Double Bubble gum and happiness

Wet: Juicy Fruit gum and sunshine

Dry: Begins to turn dry and powdery, but in a good way. Very lovely floral, definitely invokes joy into my heart.

After a difficult long weekend, I needed some joy in my life today. My imp of this is about five months old.

In the imp: Juicy Fruit gum

Wet: The same.

Dry: Sweet pink bubblegum with a faintly herbal undertone. Some reviews have mentioned getting clove from this, and that may be part of it. I amp clove.

Very sweet and cheering, and it lasts for hours.

To me it smells EXACTLY like circus peanuts wet and on drydown...those marshmallow candies I had as a kid. It absolutely succeeds in making me happy!

Straight from the imp, I get a very strong impression of bazooka joe bubblegum.

Wet: same bubblegum smell, possibly strawberry gum but I also feel as if I'm smelling the wrapper as well.

Dry: after a few minutes it becomes much softer, possibly with vanilla. It manages to stick around for 3-4 hours.

Its quite like the perfume equivalent of eating bubblegum as it starts with a very strong fruity flavour which dissipates quite quickly but there is still a faint sweet powdery smell. Don't think I need a bottle but glad I've tried it.

This imp is aged.

In the bottle: Cherry? Bubblegum? This smells sweet...and nice!

On my skin: Sweet! This scent tastes sweet in a candy sugary way. It is so cute and pretty and makes me want to grab something sugary pink to munch upon. I can describe it as cherry sugary bubblegum.. So lovely. Some minutes later it changes to even sweeter if that is possible. I want to bite into my wrist..

Drydown: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Have I bitten my wrists off yet? No?

Edited by Kashi

Wet: Bright fizzy-fuzzy strawberry.

Drydown: It smells like a strawberry starburst! Frothy strawberry with a bit of creaminess and a slight tang. Gently sweet. The scent doesn’t waver and is light, but with a decent throw. Usually berries don't work on my skin, so I am very surprised and happy that this is working so well!

Dry: This is very happy, indeed. There’s a fluffy airiness to it that I wasn’t expecting from a fruit-dominant blend. Mostly strawberry, with perhaps a squeeze of orange and a frothy mix of something creamy and airy - tonka, white musk, and/or tuberose?

8.5 out of 10 bones

In the imp/bottle it's warm, soft and beautifully sweet.

On me it's a beautiful cherry and strawberry scent. Creamy and full of candy. Love.

Hoping this will bring some good luck to my family!

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo is like huffing a paper bag full of old-fashioned candy that's dusted with confectioner's sugar, the kind of sweets you can still buy as a novelty in historic districts and at amusement parks. I specifically envision a paper bag stuffed with taffy that looks like pastel-coloured pinwheels, or the Fourth Doctor's small white paper bag full of jelly babies.

When I felt upset tonight, I put some of this scent on after my shower and now I feel calmer. This is a good sleep scent, too. I'll be getting a bottle to keep at home and I'll have to carry the imp with me for those times when I need aromatherapy during the day.

I have to add that if you're looking for a GC that's similar to Boo or Ivory Vulva, try this.

In the imp: SWEET! Sugar, fizziness, and synthetic strawberry; all so sweet that I can actually feel it on my tongue. In fact, it smells so much like strawberry Bubble Tape that it's making me crave some.

Wet: The fizzy element is gone, but the sticky-sweet synthetic fruit and sugar remain - now more syrupy than anything else. Unfortunately, straight-up candy scents aren't really my thing. It smells exactly like I rubbed slightly melt-y strawberry candy on my wrists.

Dry: Fairly linear - sweet strawberries all the way down. It takes on an almost pastry-like character by the very end, which I actually kinda like.

I was excited to try this one, as bottled happiness seemed like something I'd need.

On first smell, it smelt a little floral and sweet, with a hint of something that smelled like Jagermiester (which is something I detest more than anything in the world, the smell, taste....EUGH).

Once on my skin, FULL ON JAGERMEISTER. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Couldn't wash this one off fast enough.

Edited by Kerry

Licorice then cherry cough syrup. Yuck! It gets a little more berry and less chemical cherry on the drydown, but I just can't get past the initial licorice and cough syrup.

got this as a frimp, yay! i have no idea what's in this, honestly. i get a sweet candy scent like a sugary soft bubblegum. not in your face bubblegum by any means. this is subtle. i don't normally like foody sweet bubblegummy scents but this is very soft and not too sweet and it makes me happy.

lid of imp broke so destined for trash before swaps.

Smells slightly bleachy or like chlorine. Like you went swimming in an over chlorinated pool or are in a laundromat and the wasps of the chemicals are about but not like snorting either directly, In my kinder moments, when reflecting upon the scent instead of actually wearing it, I think naw it wasn't chlorine it was citronella bug spray-ish. But since the lid to imp broke and I spilled it all over my desk all I can say is thinking bug spray is like remembering your high school years as one wild party instead of living the awkwardness and angst.

I really wanted to love this one too. I mean Joy Mojo? Who couldn't do with more joy?

**wafts of anise in there as well for those who look for that

Wet on my skin, this is intensely strawberry bubble gummy, with some clove and maybe another spice or two.

After drying, the strawberry and bubble gum (lotus?) notes diminish on my skin while the spice grows, gains some anise, and starts to smell all festive holiday.

On the imp, strawberry and bubblegum.

On my skin, plastic. Burning plastic with hints of strawberry. The scent I get wafting around reminds me of candy and licorice but sniffing up close there's that plasticky note again. bleh.