Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

New Orleans

Reminiscent of hothouse blooms on a humid night, ripe, but touched with decay. Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice.

i usually can't stand anything with jasmine in it (most of the time,it gives me a headache),but Old New Orleans is one of my favorite scents. Hot,sultry jasmine and spices,'touched with decay' just as promised. i like to put this one in my bathwater;it infuses the steam with a lovely,long-lasting smell that about makes me fall asleep in the tub. And that's a good thing : )

Initial Impression:

Very floral. You can really smell the jasmine and honeysuckle. There would need to be more of that musty, decaying scent to really capture New Orleans (I lived there for 2 years), but I do recognize the way that the nightblooming flowers smelled in the garden district on late spring nights.

After Wearing It:

Very pretty and very floral, but very not me. The honeysuckle and jasmine are wholly apparent throughout the lifespan of the fragrance. I don't notice much different from the wet stage to the dry down, it stays pretty true hour after hour. The impressions I get from this fragrance are of wet flowers and humidity. Blossoms being trampled on the ground and releasing their scent from the rainsoaked earth during the ever drenched hurricane season.

Final Thoughts:

Beautiful for someone who enjoys florals, but I can't imagine wearing this often. It did do a good job of capturing the old southern elegance of the city, but didn't really represent the city as a whole. The old antebellum, dying wealth part of the city was certainly beautifu and one of my favorite parts of New Orleans, but it's only a small fraction of the city. There's the loud, decadent and drunken part (mostly fueled by tourists, but its a phenomenon that infects the locals more than most US cities), its rich jazz culture, and the sort of spooky undercurrent there that fuels literature, multiple haunted history tour companies, a lingering voodoo culture (small as it is), and wonderfully elaborate cemetaries.

Plus when I think back to the smells of the city, what I remember most is that musty book smell that nearly overwhelmed me when I first moved there. I wasn't used to the ever-present (but not really awful) smell of mildew that an older Southern city is bound to produce (especially one built on a swamp). Another smell that really sticks in my mind when I think back to when I lived there is the smell of crawfish and tabasco. And then there's that awful post Mardi Gras smell. Perhaps its best that the sort of Garden District themed scent was chosen, since it'd be the most appealing. And looking it at it objectively as a scent, Old New Orleans is very pretty, but it hardly scratches the surface of what is (and has always been, even in its youngest days) an incredibly vibrant and complex city.

First sniff: Compared with Old Venice, Old New Orleans is firmer and more defined with a light brushing of spice over the flowers. A well-manicured garden, greenery included, rather than a riot of floral insanity. I really wish I could pick out individual scents because there’s something in this that says holiday to me, and I can’t imagine why.

Wearing: Greener, lighter and spicier than Old Venice, still very soft and warm but not quite as BIG. I’m still getting the holiday scent – something like mulling spices. After a few minutes it was intoxicatingly sweet-floral, honeysuckle, and something in here is making my nose itch. Both the sweetness and the nose-itchiness toned down nicely after a bit longer, but it's still decidedly sweeter than really suits me. Goes in the “nice enough but I wouldn't mind swapping” category.

Someday I hope to visit New Orleans, and I imagine that the city would smell like this in parts, and like Voodoo in others. It is a very heady and bold, and as the description says, it really is like hothouse flowers. Slightly spicy, thick with huge blooms. Gorgeous and sensual, like a 19th century Creole courtesan!

I know this'll sound tragically gawth, but it really did make me think of New Orleans in an Anne Rice way. Heady, sticky sweet, intoxicating & draws you in totally & you have to just let go & let the smell take you where it wants. This would be a good smell here in Oz in summer where it gets all hot & sticky as this is a sexy smell but in a sweaty-semi clad body on a dancefloor kind of sexy. Not refined just a "come & get it" kind of sexiness. One you have to surrender to & it washes over you. Bit cloying for me but in the right mood, on the right type of day It'd be the only choice of fragrance for me.

Bpals description of this oil is dead on! When i sniffed from the bottle the smell of decaying flowers (possibly lilys as they have the same type of pungent aroma) hit me full force in the face. The more i sniffed the more spicy it smelt. Wafts of Anniseed and tabasco drifted up my nose and got me all hot and bothered :oops: Unfortunatly, after i applied it i came out in a rash, but it soon disappeared. To begin with on skin it's a very Hot & spicy, but lazy scent. You can almost imagine youself sitting at an open window, cooling yourself with a handheld fan on the hottest day of the year! Another image that springs to mind when wearing this scent, is of a funeral march through a cemetry where the coffin is transpoted via a carriage led by 2 grand horses with plumes of feathers on their head (you know the sort i mean) followed by the family and a band! Not just any cemetry though, one of the big grand ornate ones :D

It's scent i'm not so sure about as the pungent decaying aroma is quite strong (plus there's the whole "rash" thing!), but i am definatly going to buy a bigger bottle regardless...it's just too good to bypass....besides, the rash went away! :P

(ok i know...i'm crap as descriptions.....)

Unfortunately, like Catiebloo, I was allergic this one! The minute I put it on my neck went bright red and felt like it was burning so I had to wash it off straight away! The smell was nice though. A sort of spicey honeysuckle with a hint of flowers that are over-ripe. The strongest smell was definitely the honeysuckle.

Wow. I love this one. If this was how New Orleans really smelled I would be packing my bags to go and live there. Wonderful floral smell with a hint of spice that grows stronger after the scent dries. Warm, sultry and very exotic. One of my favourites.

The smell was great, a bit cinnamony. Reminds me of New Orleans completely! Gave me a rash too though unfortunately! I wish it didn't or I'd wear it allll the time :P

I love Jasmine... but most jasmine scents dont smell right on me, end up getting headaches, but this is wonderful and i primarily smell jasmine and spices in this... sure the honeysuckle is in there someplace (or maybe my skin just eats up the sent hehe). But this is a definate winner... I can just imagine myself fanning myself ona balcony in the French Quarter on a hot humid summer day looking down as all the ppl go about their activities. This scent brings to mind decadence and debauchery mingled with death and voodoo... Elizabeth you couldnt have gotten this scent better!

Initial Sniff: The jasmine and honeysuckle are very strong - almost overpowering. There is something humid and sultry about this that keeps it from being an old lady floral.

Wearing: This scent stays pretty true on my skin, mellowing only a little. After about 10 hours it is still there, but it has suddenly gone very sweet. Odd, that.

Final Impressions: This is an lazy, sultry, sticky, Old South scent. It is veranda-sittin, mint julep-drinkin, biscuit-eatin, slow drawlin scent - but not the Margaret Mitchell version... this is Flannery O'Connor's South. So hang on to your wooden leg...

Yes, this is a lazy, indolent, indulgent scent... I've never been to New Orleans (shame on me!) and therefore have no idea if this truly conjures up the mood of the French Quarter. The jasmine and honeysuckle give it that southern sweetness, but on my skin, they dried down rather quickly, leaving a delicious spicy smell that does make me think of midnight juju.

I'm still a little unsure of this one. its very hard to pin down single notes that I can smell. its very much a mixture of everything. the lemon is there, but its not a tart lemon, neither is it too candy sweet. slightly jasmine-y and a tiny bit sweet. its not very spicy on me, but it keeps the rest from getting too sweet and out of hand.

I like it better on than in the bottle, but I'm not sure I would buy a bottle of this one.

I couldnt place the flower in this at first and for some reason I kept thinking lilacs...then all of a sudden it hit me. JASMINE! Yes! This is fabulous and dries down light. I dont really smell the honeysuckle but I do detect a hint of something under the jasmine. I might need a big bottle of this! And a Hurricane. :P

Hot and heady; intoxicating and intense...I think this is one of the stronger BPAL oils that I have tried. It follows me like a vapor trail!

I love the floral sweetness of this one. On me though, it needs something to anchor it. I'll likely layer with a dab of patchouli or sandalwood.

Makes me think of night-blooming flowers climbing on an iron trellis.

Ouch. I had an icky bodily reaction to this one. My goodness, I haven't ever seen welts that red. I had to wash it off rather quickly. From what little of it I did get to experience, it smelled like mildewed flowers in a neglected Garden District garden on a hot, humid night. Interesting, in its own way. The "decay" of Old New Orleans really came out to play on my skin, I guess. If I could have kept the scent on longer than, say, three minutes, the decaying smell might have faded a bit. Maybe. Possibly. I don't know. Probably not.

Edited by riddel

This is one we both wanted, adn it's a lovely scent indeed. I was beginning to worry about the Cities, because Old Rome and Old Venice both were just too 'rose' for me. And for some reason, even though I knew the description, I was expecting roses for Old New Orleans.

In the bottle: heavy on the jasmine/honeysuckle. I cannot tell the two apart, ever, though I can usually tell when they're alone in a blend. How odd is that? Anyway, this is a beautiful scent in teh bottle, and i just hope it stays as nice on my skin.

First 10 minutes: Wow. My body really likes to bring out the spice, and the citrus from the lemon. It's this heavenly waft of the florals with undertones of the spice tickling my nose. I like it, because it's different than what I usually have on. And I can see why this is the belnd for Old New Orleans, even though I never smelled this there .. it's like a blend of the citrus (from the world famous hurricanes!) and the flowers that fill the bayou, along with the spices used in the fabulous Louisiana cuisine. Yum!

Drydown: Mmm. This is a spicy/sweet scent that I'm falling rather in love with. Not sure it's something I can wear all the time, but it's definitely a Summer scent. The jasmine and honeysuckle seem to be trying to compete with the lemony note, and the spice remains an undertone on me .. but I like that. Jason thought it might die down, but I'm rather relived to smell that it hasn't. And it wafts nicely, which most of my scents so far haven't really done.

Definitely a keeper. :P

Edited by TygherRayn

Old New Orleans Is a scent that I can smell the heat and humidity that usually comes with being down south. Perfect for sumertime. I think I will keep this one. :P

Well, I should know better than to try this, because I'm not a fan of jasmine, and most scents with "aquatic" or "wet" scents in them leave my allergies going nuts. But I adore New Orleans (the history, as well as the culture), and am mad about anything related to it. So a chance to smell like the older city (minus the vomit and disease, of course) was something that I couldn't pass up. And a very generous someone included this imp as an extra in a swap.

In the Bottle

That's jasmine alright. Very floral. But the honeysuckle really stands out, too, and leaves the florals smelling nice and sweet. The combination smells like a more swampy, tropical scent than anything else. Very fitting. The lemon doesn't stand out too much against the florals, but is still noticeable. But the surprise here comes from the spices, which are very prominent in the vial. I want to say cinamon, but maybe not -- maybe clove, instead. It's interesting...Even though it's very spicey, it's hard to pin point what sort of spice. Ah well. This look like it'll be fun to wear, even if it doesn't work out.

Wearing It

The jasmine and lemon jump out at me, eliminating any sweetness that the honeysuckle had added to the scent while it was in the bottle. As it dries down, it softens a bit and the honeysuckle comes out again. The spices are there, mixing with the lemon, and it reminds me a bit of lemon cough drops -- the kind with the herbal/spicey notes in them.

The scent filled the room right away when I had opened up the imp ear, but now, while I'm wearing it, it's almost hard to smell. Even though the scent is strong, it's not overpowering like some of the other oils that the Lab makes (Voodoo, Dragon's Heart, etc.). Instead, I have to really smell my wrists to figure out what is going on.

Dry, this smells very balanced, and very well mixed. The jasmine has taken backseat to the honeysuckle (thank god), and the lemon/spice is strong enough to be noticed. It's this pleasantly heady floral scent, with a bit of sweet summertime kick. There's something at the base of this that smells a great deal like the green part of plants, and reminds me of the hot house at the local carnivorous plant nursery that I go to a lot. Sweltering, almost.

I'm not sure I'll keep this, since it's still too floral for my tastes. But part of me wants to hang onto it and see whether it grows on me. The spice and lemon go a long way towards making it a really yummy scent, and to some extent it reminds me of when I was younger -- when I used to have "tea" with the fairies, using flowers for cups. I'd always smell like a mixture of broken, crushed stems, and the actual nectar. This actually makes me want to check my fingers for the sticky residue, and it's really rather nice. At the very least I'll wear it a few more times before making up my mind.

In the bottle: Smells like jasmine with little hints of something under it.

Wet: It tingles on my skin (I think that's the spice), but it's honeysuckle mixed with jasmine and the faintest scent of spice.

Dry: more jasmine and honeysuckle than anything else which I don't mind being that thoughs are two of my favorite smells that work really well on me. After a while it settles down to a spicey jasmine and the honeysuckle is now a back note.

Final Thought: It smells really good on me but it does not last long. If I can't find another jasmine honeysuckle blend that stays longer on me I'll get a bigger bottle. But I'll keep looking. But I'll at least keep an imp or two on hand becausethis one is really nice on me.

Honeysuckle, then jasmine, then back to the honeysuckle - Old New Orleans is all about these two flowers, and it's interesting to see how the jasmine took a back seat to the bright sweetness of honeysuckle. In many scents, it comes straight to the front and stays there, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I never end up with a spice note from this. I have pure, lovely honeysuckle that gets a crisp sparkle from lemon rind, and the jasmine, while still around, does more of a supporting role here - it stays underneath the scent and really supports the honeysuckle on its shoulders, providing a warm, wet, languid base for Old New Orleans.

I can't decide if I like this one or not. There's just enough jasmine, which I don't usually care for, to make me indecisive about this big, lush bouquet of moist blooms in full flower for full bottle. The imp will likely get used up as I make my decision, though.

First Impression: Jasmine all hot and heady.

Second Impression: The honeysuckle really tempers the jasmine. There is just a slight suggestion of spice and not much lemon, which is good as it's not been agreeing with me lately.

Final Analysis: This is a big, heady floral. Alluring yet baudy. I'll be sure to pack this if Nerissa and I take a road trip to New Orleans this summer.

I really like this one!

Its slow and sexy but in a gentle way.

It brought me straight back to Crete, coming home just before break of dawn, without my shoes :P and the humid night air full of the scent of jasmine!

So other than the location, the description is bang on !

In the bottle: deliciously rich, dense florals with a spicy edge.

Wet: very evocative - I can smell cloves in the mix! Unfortunately it goes a bit of bubblegummy on me for a while until it dries.

Dry: heady (but not overwhelming) jasmine and spice. To run with the analogy, this evokes for me a femme de couleur in a bright floral dress and crimson tignon fanning herself on a wrought-iron balcony...

Verdict: I really like this one - it's a keeper! I like jasmine, but I hate it when it's too strong. This one is just right for me.

Well, I don't get a 'touch of decay', but this is a steamy, humid floral scent. I smell all honeysuckle and no jasmine, though I must admit I'm very picky about what I consider jasmine. (I grew up entranced by the scent of a jasmine plant in our yard, I have never found that scent properly captured in a bottle...)

The unfortunate part is that it is very soapy on me. This is a problem I have with a number of BPAL florals, so it is some kind of personal body chemistry issue. It would be fantastic if not for that!

- Annette