Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Lycanthrope

Toad

"…It's never the wrong time to call on Toad. Early or late, he's always the same fellow. Always good-tempered, always glad to see you, always sorry when you go!"

"He must be a very nice animal," observed the Mole, as he got into the boat and took the sculls, while the Rat settled himself comfortably in the stern.

"He is indeed the best of animals," replied Rat. "So simple, so good-natured, and so affectionate. Perhaps he's not very clever -- we can't all be geniuses; and it may be that he is both boastful and conceited. But he has got some great qualities, has Toady."

Dapper cologne, scorched waistcoat, a bit of pipe tobacco, and motor oil.

Didn't see the topic open yet. Maybe I missed it? Searched a few times.

Anyways, TOAD! I've never had a fragrance named after toads... there's a pic of a dapper Geicko-Gecko-esque amphibian on the front looking sly, as if he's holding a cane, quite the rogue, eh?

First sniff from bottle, it smells a lot like fierce tobaccos, like those in Hellfire (new formula). There's a bit of an effervescence to the aroma, something just slightly on the edge of spicy (like cloves?) and then there's a whole burst of more and more metal components, a grumbly undercurrent of functional metal. I'm not getting too much linen or burnt aroma from this, but this is a machine that is well-used, it's got oil and grease that is hot and working.

This kind of smells like what I would imagine the penultimate sexy mechanic would smell like, all grease and a touch of filthy tobacco, pipemetal...

It's good. I'm keeping my bottle.

In The Bottle

Sweet and cologney

On Application

A spicey man's cologne

Dry Down

As this dries down it has a similarity to some of the Steamworks scents - thin, metallic, sharp - but there is a spiciness which sets this apart from them (I am thinking it is the pipe tobacco). There is a little bit of a scorched element as it progresses further, acrid and gingery. This is a little morpher and I am surprised. From cologne to thin and sharp metallic to cologne and pipe tobacco and then almost a grassy scent and finally settling on a spicy and warm tobacco and well scented man. Lovely and if you like the Steamworks you will like this.

Rating (0-5)

This is mostly cologne. Maybe the faintest whiff of tobacco. I didn't pick up any scorch but I did detect a sheen of motor oil. It's not offensive, but it's not the kind of scent I like. While I do enjoy a masculine scent, not so much with the more "traditional cologne"-smelling ones. IF I did like those I would probably like this though, because it is very smooth and subtle, and usually I find them quite overwhelming and headache inducing.

I don't get "motor oil" or anything scorched. I do get a very clean and inoffensive cologne with a slight touch of tobacco. It makes me think of a male teacher actually, in the sense that's it's sort of clean and pleasant and slightly masculine - perfect for work.

In bottle: I’m surprised there is no honey in this. It’s a sweet rich cologne with a strong tobacco edge, remarkably cozy in affect. Wet: It’s hard to describe. The sweet pipe tobacco is almost like dragon’s blood without coming off as resiny. I’m genuinely loving it. I think the waistcoat is the note that’s strangely familiar, and very comforting, it’s very light and androgynous in feel. Dry; I think I am now picking up the hint of oil. It lightens as it wears, but stays a pleasant androgynous cologne.In bottle: I’m surprised there is no honey in this. It’s a sweet rich cologne with a strong tobacco edge, remarkably cozy in affect. Wet: It’s hard to describe. The sweet pipe tobacco is almost like dragon’s blood without coming off as resiny. I’m genuinely loving it. I think the waistcoat is the note that’s strangely familiar, and very comforting, it’s very light and androgynous in feel. Dry; I think I am now picking up the hint of oil. It lightens as it wears, but stays a pleasant androgynous cologne.

honestly....straight sniff from imp is spit.. :P

grrr...

once applied ... this is sour .... not good....i wish i could have gotten at least one note .....it

is just so bad with my chemistry......sorry beth =-((

I can't figure this out. It's masculine, but starts soft. There's a point when it smells like ass, like you haven't bathed recently and you got sweaty and you're wearing cologne to disguise the fact that you haven't had a chance to shower but you can still smell ass. It's not an aggressive reek, but it's certainly there. Fortunately, that does change to merely bad breath, and then (phew!) goes away. I'm guessing the "scorched waistcoat" is that burned-vetiver smell.

It's just odd. Very complex, highly involved and evolving. I received a half-imp as a frimp with my WitW decant order, and I think that the half-imp will be MORE than sufficient.

As mentioned above, yes, this is rather like the Steamworks line.

In the bottle: Sweeter than the description would imply, and not nearly as offbeat. It's mostly a citrusy-sweet cologne.

Wet: After an initial very sweet surge, the cologne note deepens into something like maybe a fougere, with a darker, maybe mossy lavender base. Still an impression of citrus and something else, maybe another floral? Also the sweetness of moist, tinned tobacco, perhaps even flavored tobacco. Where's the motor oil, though? I was really looking forward to that!

Half an hour: Definitely a sweet men's cologne plus sweet tinned tobacco. Unexpectedly, though, I like it.

One hour: Mostly men's cologne at this point. Oh, I like the cologne, but it's not nearly as mysterious or complex or sexy as many of the other BPAL cologne scents I've tried. I suppose Mr. Toad isn't meant to be very sexy, though, is he? This is more brash, more aggressive, the kind of cologne that's applied so thickly it accosts you at 10 feet in the mall.

Two hours: Much less brash now. It's a very pleasant smell, really, mannish and gentlemanly without being in the least elegant or refined.

Three hours: Calmed down a lot, but still mannish with something warmly sweet, I'm not sure what, down at the bottom of it. It might be the tobacco, or maybe not.

Ten hours: Citrus-herb cologne still, another take on a fougere perhaps? It's herbal now, and slightly dark like vetiver or oakmoss.

I loved Toad and will keep what I have of it.

It felt like getting smacked in the nose when I smelled this one on my arm. Not too bad in the imp, though very strong in the "men's cologne" department. On my arm though, this smells a lot like Famine and that one broke my heart :P The sour, angry vomit is there. Eek! My husband just wandered through the room and wanted to know if the cat had peed somewhere - not a good sign... I've tried to let this sit about an hour but I don't think I can physically stand it anymore. I'm off to the sink and Toad has to find a new home.

in vial wood and something strong that makes my eyes water.

wet: this smells black to me. I can smell the oil and what seems to be strong herbs.

Such a novel concept! It's almost guaranteed that I won't like this at all, but I couldn't resist giving Toad a try!

Motor oil for sure. My brother is a mechanic so there's one scent I know very well. I actually like this quite a bit. I expected a very masculine and burny scent, but this reminds me a lot of Phoenix Steamworks.

After a little while, the tobacco starts to come out (I love me some tobacco) and what I presume is the scorched waistcoat. But still, shockingly gender neutral and quite pleasant. Against all odds, I think I'll be getting myself a bottle of Toad! I'm very curious to see how it will age.

I got this bottle by accident in an order, and sniffed it. It reminded me very much of Schwarzer Mond, but I like it better.

A will call skin test.

I wasn't expecting to like this one, and almost didn't even sniff it at wc, but when I opened the bottle it was a complete surprise--not at all what I would've expected from the description. It is sweet and tobacco-y and has an almost sasparilla/cola ness to it.

Dry: A sweet, finely crafted, slightly masculine soap. Actually, it reminds me of the LUSH Sultana of Soaps soap. I like this, and will likely look for at least a decant to keep around. I'd like to smell this on DH, too.

In the bottle, Toad smells like something that I've smelled before, but I can't place it and it's driving me crazy. I can pick out a bit of sweet tobacco, something like a hint of root beer, and an overall feeling of soft, warm, comforting cologne.

On my skin, the sweet tobacco takes on a slight smokiness, and I still smell something like root beer candies. There's also a dry feel to this scent, like dry wood or dry tobacco leaves. It smells very 'Old West' to me, like the strong, silent sheriff in an old saloon. It's manly, in a quiet, subtle sort of way, with tobacco and root beer rounding it out. I don't smell any motor oil and it doesn't smell particularly scorched on me. My boy thinks it smells a bit powdery. I don't normally like tobacco, but I'm liking it here.

All in all, this works pretty well on my skin, and I'm glad to have a bottle, especially because the label art is so awesome :P.

Oh Toad. This is a sweet, dapper cologne, very refined and polished. But there's is something... maybe the smoke in the background?

As it dries it gets more of the herbs and motor oil.

Ah Toad, you're such a ruffian you.

In the bottle: Light, bright yellow oil. Clean, fresh, and spicy. A hint of aftershavy, almost soapy cologne, a metallic tang like the one in Galvanic Goggles, and that sweet, smoky-spicy tobacco.

Wet: Less cologney-fresh, more mellow, subdued, and refined. There's a smoothness here, maybe some type of polished wood, and the metal is not sharp but rich and shining. The pipe tobacco is almost cinnamony, and only vaguely smoky.

Dry: The spice has amped a lot, and it's definitely cinnamon, and I some sweet, woody clove as well. I'm still getting that polished wood note, but the metal and cologne are sadly much fainter.

Later: Musk comes out in a major way, along with some smoky-earthy vetiver - that oddly does smell a bit like burnt cloth, with a strange sweetness.

Summary: Faint, sweet spices and mossy, smoky vetiver, with light tobacco and polished wood, and a animalistic musk. The metal and cologne notes are mostly gone after a few hours, sadly.

I think my female skin chemistry may be ruining this rather masculine blend. I'll hang on to the half imp because I love Toads and maybe one will be my prince. :D

Decant: Definitely a dapper cologne

Wet on Me: Still a very dapper Cologne. Back of hand is glued to nose already.

Drying Down: getting a lil bit of the pipe tobacco with that dapper cologne. Loving this soo much. I’m a sucker for a good men’s cologne.

Dry: chalk this up to another one I wish I had orderd! I am so in love with Toad. Does that sound right? It is the lurve smell deeevine! I want to run home and pour it on mah man and just attach myself to him.

I got this for my Boy 'cause he's a mechanic. On him, it's all incredibly sweet pipe tobacco and motor oil and I HATE it, but I don't have the heart to tell him so because it's his favorite thing ever. :lol: Let's see what it's like on me.

Bottle: HONEY, cloyingly sweet, and pipe tobacco. Maybe some vetiver. Something dusty, too, and a faint tinge of motor oil. I was really hoping more for cologne.

Wet: On me, it's not as sweet at first, instead it's like cinnamon-flavored pipe tobacco with a whiff of honey, which is much more pleasant. There's a strong tinge of motor oil and something that smells a bit like... umm.... cat poop? And baby powder. Yep, that's definitely what I'm getting. Damn vetiver.

Yeah, not going to make it to the drydown. This is sour and rancid and even more unpleasant on me than it is on the Boy. I got him The Phoenix for his birthday, hopefully he'll end up wearing that one more... This may be a bottle that mysteriously gets "lost." :ack:

Toad

Bottle: A wet mossy scent mixed with a hint of traditional men's cologne. It reminded me of my pet treefrogs, thus I was afraid for a second that I'd made a mistake buying a bottle unsniffed.

Wet: A faint cologne with a little earthiness and a bit of wet moss. This all begins to fade and a scent which I visualize as "black oil" appears. There's also a spicy/sweet tobacco scent begins to develop.

Drydown: This has morphed into a spicy/peppery tobacco with a sweet musk scent in the background. There is a "tinny" metallic scent that pops it's head out now and then. The tobacco is almost leathery.

Throw: This one has light throw and stays close to the skin. I'll have to slather.

Overall: I like this one. This is one I'll be wearing to work. It's a gender neutral scent. I think it'll work year round on me, except on the hottest days of summer. :smilenod:

This smells nothing like the description to me! This smells like the Renaissance Fair...spices and incense, dried flowers. It smells like Chrysanthemum Moon minus the Chrysanthemum. It's warm and lovely and it makes me wish I had gotten a bottle! But I was just so nervous about the motor oil!

In the bottle and wet, it's sweet-sharp and metallic with little whiffs of spice underneath. As it dries, it keeps these but the spice comes out more, and it's really delightful. But then after about an hour, disaster strikes, and my chemistry turns it into baby powder! ALAS. Really disappointing because I was loving it up until that point.