Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sookster

Rapunzel

Angel's trumpet, bois de rose, orris, and wild lettuce.

A fresh, sweet green floral. Young pretty lettuce (which makes no sense...). It starts off slightly wet and aquatic, but it dries off to a pretty soft finish, almost musky or slightly powdery.

EDIT: Starts off green floral with a creamy background. Dries to more herbal, green floral, powdered. Very green and fresh, perfect for Spring but not quite as well loved a replacement for my discontinued Rosalind.

EDIT: Nevermind! After a little while more, reverts back to original state: light, sweet green and creamy. Lovely and exactly what I need for Spring!

Edited by delighted

In the imp: A slightly aquatic, very green floral. The orris is an interesting addition here - it lends the whole thing a powdery, slightly bitter tone.

Wet: Fairly true to ITI, although the florals amp up and the aquatic/green notes amp down. I admit I was hoping for something more like La Belle Au Bois Dormant, which is literally the smell of a princess who's just come in from picking wildflowers, but this feels...haughty? Distant? It has this commercial perfume-y aspect where it's pleasant enough, but nothing really makes an impression. This may be good for those of us who work in an atmosphere where smelling like Snake Oil or something is discouraged, but we still want to have SOME sort of scent on. It's inoffensive, I'll give it that; it just doesn't have any gumption to it.

Dry: This stage was actually my favorite, with a good balance between the florals and the green/aquatic notes. There was even a dash of something with a little more substance (proper rose? Musk? Amber? Who knows) riiiight at the very end, about eight hours along.

Alas, this one failed to wow me overall. It definitely feels like something I that could be found at Sephora, formulated for very young women or those who want something "office-appropriate" and overall inoffensive. But for me, it just didn't have enough personality to really be interesting.

This is just lovely.

Before trying both this and La Belle Au Bois Dormant as they came as frimps, I thought I hated florals. Amazingly this doesn't turn soapy, powdery or old lady-ish on me. Wet, it starts off really fresh, if not actually watery. Then the beautiful crisp wild lettuce starts surfacing and makes it smell even more green. The florals are there yes, but more on the background, and the green lettuce really shines. Ah, I'm in love and I'll definitely get a bottle soon! :bunnyluv:

I've only experiences Angel's trumpet in one other scent (Yorick) and I love it, so I had to try this as well.

Wet: Uh oh, I think the orris is dominating. Orris and I don't get along well. This is really unpleasant, currently. A bit like the scent of rotting meat poorly covered by floral air freshener. My skin chemistry is destroying this.

Dry: Aquatic violets. Orris often smells like violets on me, which I don't care for, and I don't generally care for aquatics either. This one is not for me, but glad to have gotten to try it! The Angel's trumpet wasn't identifiable for me, unfortunately.

Preconceived notions: I just got this as a frimp from the Lab. Angel's trumpet is a flower I like in real life, although it has kind of a vegetal edge to it which I tend to not like in perfumes, so we'll see how this goes, though it might end up being too vegetal for me with the angel's trumpet and wild lettuce.

In the imp: This is heading into laundry soap/dryer sheet territory, unfortunately. It's about equal parts light floral, vegetal greenery, and powdery orris.

On my skin: there's something almost salty when this is first applied, maybe the interaction of the scent with my skin chemistry. This is mostly dryer-sheety powdery/greenish aquatic on my skin.

It's not actively *bad* on my skin but not really my thing either.

My imp of this is really old, so I'm fearful this isn't necessarily true to the scent, but a friend sent me a bunch of old imps last spring and that's what got me into BPAL again. This and The Reaper and the Flowers ended up being my two favorite scents that spring.

I do get a faint soapiness from this now that I think about it, but it's not really soapy, so much as strongly green. The lettuce is really sweet and aquatic and the orris adds a pinch of almost violet-like sweetness (without being violet-y - I amp violet to high heavens even though I like it in small doses so I tend not to be able to wear it and tend to be very nervous about orris). I think angel's trumpet might dominate, a soft, greenish floral note that is definitely also in Yorick (though sadly on me, Yorick is the spices from that dirt going REALLY sweet with the amber undertone in it). The rosewood doesn't amp either, but does add a faint brush of perfumey wood to this, grounding it and rounding it out a little.

I really like this scent particularly for whom it describes. It's very inoffensive, but it isn't, on me, a very generic or commercial scent. The orris eventually ends up strongest on me, but it is a note I amp.

Edited by PrinceofcatS

I don't know what Angel's trumpet smells like, so, yay!

Mostly, I smell wet, clean lettuce and a little floral sweetness. No rosewood and nothing else specifically. This verges on powdery, which may be the orris influence, but doesn't go all the way there.

Later, it goes a little soapy on me. Low throw and lifespan.

Not for me.

A generous frimp from the Lab! Rapunzel, thankfully, smells nothing like rampion. ;) This is a light-green scent, fresh and delicate, reminding me of rain-washed ivy growing on R's tower.

It's not often that you come across an angel's trumpet dominant scent, but that's absolutely what this is for me. Orris is giving it some of a gleaming quality. It smells like everything is just sugared. Sugared florals aren't my thing, so while it's pretty I think I'll pass.

In the imp: Lots of bois de rose and white florals.

Wet: I'm not familiar with angel's trumpet, but I think it's the main note I'm getting on my skin after the bois de rose calms down a bit. After a few minutes, the orris note ends up becoming really strong, which is something orris tends to do on me.Then the bois de rose ends up reasserting itself again, so that it's bois de rose, angel's trumpet, and orris. I can't pick out the lettuce yet.

Dry: Now I'm getting the wild lettuce note. It's adding this green, watery vibe to this now soft rose and white floral scent. I prefer this phase of the scent.

Verdict: I'm surprised the orris didn't take over. It's not one I would reach for, but I'm glad to have gotten to try it (I wasn't sure about the lettuce, but it wasn't problematic at all)!

I wanted to love this because Rapunzel was my favorite fairy tale growing up. I don't know why, in retrospect; Rapunzel is such a colossal idiot. But I really liked the illustrations in the book we had. Anyway, Rapunzel is a lovely aquatic white floral, light and pretty, springtime and innocence, hovering on the edge of French-milled soap for me. I'm not getting a lot of either orris or rosewood. It's very pretty, but I don't wear aquatics or pure florals, so I'm guessing I won't reach for this imp very often.

Lab Frimp aged about 4 years.

In the imp: Gorgeous and unusual florals - no flower that I can identify. (I've never smelled Angel's Trumpet or Orris root, though.) With a fresh, green note and feeling. I don't nail it as lettuce (what does lettuce smell like anyway? I've never noticed it having a scent), but okay, I'll buy it.

On me, wet: I can smell the gorgeous florals without even lifting my arm. Up close, a little bit of mild green sharpness that is no doubt contributing to the impression of freshness.

After 10 minutes: The mild sharpness has floated away, but left behind the green freshness. And those flowers above it all. I'm in love. It's already much softer, a gentle scent. I don't get any actual water note that some have mentioned, but I can easily visualize a sparkling crystal clear and pure stream, with watercress growing in the shallows and flowers blooming along the edges.

After 20 minutes: It has softened even more; mild enough - and clean and pure enough - for a little girl. But complex enough for me, too. Turning a little plastic, though, darn my skin. I can always wear it in the scent locket if I have to. But the sillage remains just as beautiful, so that might not be necessary unless I just want to. For ecstastic sniffing.

After 2 1/2 hours: Until now, the scent has been quite stable, with very little change in nature, only in strength. But as a last harrah, the bois de rose has made a distinct appearance, as a wood note rather than rose. The overall impression is less floral and more like a classic perfume. Perhaps the influence of the orris (I know it is an ingredient in many traditional perfumes) together with the rosewood? But all very faint.

3 hours later, the scent is for all practical purposes, gone.

Verdict: I agree that this smells like springtime. But I am finding it so refreshing, even giving an illusion of coolness, on a hot summer day. Its gentleness is also perfect for summer, when the heat can make a strong scent of any kind seem very annoying.

Bottle-worthy and then some: Swoon-worthy.

5 out of 5 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

In the imp: Leaf lettuce, like the kind we used to plant in our flower beds when I was growing up. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's still all lettuce. On the immediate drydown, the lettuce note fades a bit, and the bois de rose comes forward. As it warms and develops on me skin, orris and angel's trumpet gradually gain prominence, though the rosewood remains detectable as a base. The end result is actually a very delicate floral dancing atop bois de rose. It's very pretty but ultimately not what I'm looking for in a perfume.