Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sookster

Rapunzel

Rapunzel was the most beautiful child under the sun. When she was twelve years old the Witch shut her up in a tower, in the middle of a great wood, and the tower had neither stairs nor doors, only high up at the very top a small window. When the old Witch wanted to get in she stood underneath and called out:

`Rapunzel, Rapunzel,
Let down your golden hair,'

for Rapunzel had wonderful long hair, and it was as fine as spun gold. Whenever she heard the Witch's voice she unloosed her plaits, and let her hair fall down out of the window about twenty yards below, and the old Witch climbed up by it.

Angel's trumpet, bois de rose, orris, and wild lettuce.

straight sniff from imp is a delicate blend .... reminds me of my own dear grandaughter's lovely
locks...most definitely golden...and slightly fresh/green scent...

this is an elegant blend...perfectly concocted...i think i would prefer this in the spring....quite lovely Edited by Shollin

i could smell this as soon as opened the imp - even with it held out at arm's length. that's impressive!

and as soon as i could smell it - i was transported back to 1994 and surrounded by red-and-white gingham plaid and the scent of Bath & Body Works' Gingham perfume that my girlfriend Amy gave me when i moved in with her.

this is lovely and floral and it'll never work on my skin because it'll turn into fabric softener... but in a Locket this would be nice!

a very green floral - i think fans of Zombi, especially, will like this. :P

This is a green floral scent. Elegant. I would wear it in Spring more appropriately.

It's very pale green...:P; I've learned that I like lettuce scents pretty well, which is sort of amusing after a fashion, but bois de rose and angel's trumpet don't seem to like me at all.

This turns very soapy and sharp on me in very little time and never quite makes it back to the delicate floral it is in the imp. It does have a hell of a throw, however, and I'd bet that it would last for quite a long time. It's been a couple of hours since first application and it's still going strong.

Imp: A wet woody iris. Very delicate.

Wet: It definitely has some of the lettuce from The Witch's Garden mingled with just the faintest touch of wild flowers. The scent itself is not very strong. Rapunzel is smelling the scents of the garden and woods from high up in her tower.

Dry: Scarcely any scent left at all on me. Just a whisper of the sweet scent of a girl's hair drying in the sun.

Overall: Pretty but not the gorgeous green scent that The Witch's Garden was on me. I'll tuck it away and try it again in the Spring.

First Impression: Soft and “clean.”

Wet on, this is almost soapy – almost – but in a good way. It has just enough sweetness to lift it out of the “soapy” quality as it dries a little.

As it dries, it warms up and leaves the soapy quality behind, it becomes very sweet and pretty – the lettuce gives it a light, crisp feel, the bois de rose note gives it a bit of depth and character, and the florals round it out and make it sweet and light and pretty.

Eventually it dries down to mostly orris and bois de rose. This is a pale green and pink blend, almost translucent in quality, and my favorite so far of the Marchen blends. <3

This is a nice clear, refreshing floral. It's a little bit biting and sharp at first but it calms down the longer its on. The throw isn't bad but it tends to stay close. Thankfully I don't smell the rose.

It even warrented a comment from my BPAL neutral bf who said " it's pretty and smells like an expensive perfume." :P

I really enjoy this --- it's a beautiful smell. Scent-wise it's kinda like a green, white-ish floral. But it makes you think of being a young, innocent princess with gilt dreams and wings ready to fly. It smells pleasantly feminine, out of girlhood but not quite a woman.

This starts off as a bright, sharp, perfumey green smell that must be the lettuce (I've discovered that I hate bpal's lettuce note). Then, as it dries down, it starts to get more perfumey (almost sharply musky) and floral on my skin. It smells like sharp, white, fakey floral on me. After fifteen minutes or so, it’s going soapy and heading to my swap pile.

Edited by Little Bird

A light green floral--but with *tons* of throw. A bit soapy on my skin but if it weren't I'd like this. It's very fresh and spring-like and the lettuce makes this more interesting than the average floral blend.

In the bottle: Soft floral. Quite lovely!

On the skin: Still the same soft floral with a hint of wet greens (the lettuce I suppose).

Beautiful, but I don't think this is one I will wear often. I think I am going to trade the bottle away and just find an imp instead.

This is a sweet scent that smells very young and innocent to me. There's some crisp green in here for sure (from the lettuce), and to me that smells a bit aquatic. The floral notes are really taking a backseat to that lettuce note. It smells fresh and clean. Pretty and spring-like.

In the bottle: Nearly colourless extremely pale yellow. Soft, light, delicate. Aquatic, with the wild lettuce really coming through, and some vaguely powdery, clean florals.

Wet: Similar, but stronger. The lettuce note is lovely, almost cucumbery, cool. But the orris starts to amp almost immediately and go a little old lady powdery soap on me.

Dry: Orris amping and other soap florals, presumably the angel's trumpet. I'm getting a sort of lilac-scent. Heady. The dryness of the rosewood emerges, making this seem even more powdery.

Later: The angel's trumpet does have a nice freshness to it that reminds me of daisy, and this blend is a bit less overwhelmingly ORRIS now. That gorgeous wild lettuce note is holding, and the rosewood is light.

Summary:Cool, aquatic, green-fresh wild lettuce, light, clean angel's trumpet, soapy-powdery-heady orris, and faint dry, warm rosewood. The orris sadly ruins this for me, as it does many blends. Strong throw but fades fast.

:(

The very first imp of my very first imp pack to get a spin!

Imp: Florals and green...that would be the lettuce.

Wet: Some soft floral as a balance, but LETTUCE comes out swinging! There was a second or two where I thought I might be attacked by an amorous rabbit on my way out the door. It's definitely a wet lettuce, and it is beautiful.

Drydown: No more lettuce. Has faded into something very soft, outdoors-in-spring smelling. I'm not familiar with the notes, so I'm not much help telling who's doing what. :blush: It is nestling into my skin very nicely, so there's no "Hey! That girl is wearing perfume!" feeling.

Gorgeous from start to finish.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Not quite sure about the lettuce, but I thought it was worth getting an imp and trying it.

In the Vial: Salad. It smells like a salad. I have never had that experience before with a perfume.

Wet: Okay, it's no longer pure salad, but it is extremely green. More floral-green than herby-green, but there is only the faintest whiff of blossoms in the floral.

Drydown: The floral shifts a bit to rose behind the green notes, and eventually does the baby-powder thing on me.

Verdict: Definitely not for my skin.

I was highly anticipating this because I have hip-length hair and I really wanted to put some Rapunzel in it but it wasn't to be.

The rosewood is just way too strong for me in this. Maybe it's just my chemistry is amping it but to me it smells like 90% wood and 10% nice stuff. I wouldn't mind a teensy amount of wood I guess but this is just way too much. I don't think the orris is helping either.

2/5 I guess my hair won't be smelling like Rapunzel's, unfortunately.

In the Imp: fresh, lettucey goodness!

Wet: still very lettucey, but the florals come out on my skin... possibly the angel's trumpet? not sure.

Dry: not the best staying power on me-- but i actually enjoy that in this scent, because the crisp lettuce smell lingers.

Definitely a daytime scent, it's so light and fresh, very pretty.

I ended up giving this one to my sister, it stays longer and has more throw on her skin! I do love it though...

Wet: This is green....maybe the lettuce...I am not quite sure.

Dry: Very perfumey...with a delicate white floral base. I can see Rapunzel wearing this. However, this now is drying down to a nice soapy floral. Off to the swap pile.

In the imp: Mostly green, with some white floral notes hiding in there somewhere

On the skin: A wet green scent, mostly lettuce, then it goes a bit cucumber-y on me, cool and almost aquatic. Several hours later it's almost faded completely, but I can still smell cool, slightly sweet aquaticky green. The bois du rose never comes out for me, and for that I am happy.

Verdict: I was frimped with this by the lab, and I doubt I would've ordered it on my own, because I amp anything vaguely rose-like like mad and it always goes sour or sharp or soapy on me (with the exception of the tea rose in London), but the lettuce beats the crap out of any rose in this blend, so I'm keeping my frimp. ;)

I'm getting, like, a lettuce single note. It's green and crisp and somewhat watery. In the imp, there was a hint of floral, and orris, which is always somewhat dusty to me. On my skin, though, it's pretty much lettuce.

If this doesn't do some serious morphing soon, I'll have to pass.

wow, this is super floral and green. reminds me of bright yellow-green flowers. this scent is very young, girlish and springlike. very, very green-it smells like fresh cut flowers! i think i'm getting an aquatic-lettuce plus hints of floral. it's pretty but too green/innocent for my tastes :twisted:

Edited by theseagrows

~~rapunzel~~

In the Imp: sweet green floral....what surprises me is the sweet and green together! like sugared lettuce? I'm not skeerd to try this, which is good.

Wet: the same as above....the sweet and the green.

Dry: Rose decides to drive. She drives like an old lady sometimes, but in this case, the greens keep her young, sweet and lovely.

Timelapse 1 hour: sweet, dusty rose and greens. Very light and actually kind of reminds me of Thalia at times....

Timelapse 2 hours: poof. gone.

Verdict: Usually sweet and dusty = violets, so the rose is a nice change. I won't buy a bottle, but I'll probably be keeping the imp for the lighter occasion.

Imp: A glittering pale green. I'm a newbie to identifying notes, so I suspect the green is the lettuce and the glitter is the angel's trumpet.

Wet on skin Sweet green blossoms climbing eroded stone walls. There's a nostalgic feeling to the smell that I can't quite put my finger on. The only note listed in the description that I'm familiar with is the rose, but I can only catch the occasional whiff of it if I'm paying attention. Very well-blended.

Dry: I like this best after a few hours of wearing, I think. The scent is light, delicate, and 'princess-y' floral with no outstanding notes. It lasted quite awhile on me, which florals almost never do, though from reading previous reviews this isn't always the case. ): I woke up this morning and caught its little white swan song on my wrist.

Other thoughts: This would be so much more beautiful on an older woman--I just can't imagine anyone (who isn't sealed in a castle far, far away) under eighteen who could pull this off, which includes myself. I'm keeping my imp, though, for a romantic fairytale pick-me-up now and then.

ETA: I'm pretty sure this is my favorite BPAL 'clean' scent. I may need a big bottle in the spring.

Edited by Sperling

Hmm, I thought there was vetiver in here. Must be the wild lettuce that is giving off the pungent vetiver-like scent. Bit of powder here, other than that, just a "dirty" blend to me, maybe with a touch of floral. Not really my thing. Off to swaps.

In the imp: A lightly floral, fresh clean green scent.

Wet: The first thing I smell is a beautiful, fresh smelling green note...I'm assuming that's the lettuce. The floral notes are faint in the background and I'm not smelling any orris at all.

Dry: As this dries the lettuce note mellows out a lot and my skin starts to smp the floral notes (especially the rose). The rose has a "dusty" sort of quality, I think that's attributed to the orris.

Overall: This is a fresh, wet, dewy green floral blend (maybe even a bit grassy). Rapunzel actually reminds me a lot of a Hermes scent I sampled recently at Sephora (I forget which one though). While I can really appreciate the simple beauty of this scent, it's just not something I can wear (maybe a bit too "pretty" and floral for my tastes.)

If you're a fan of green notes and florals, you will find this one a winner for sure!