Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Sea Foams Blood

Blood rising through an ocean wave.

ITImp: Very aquatic, which worries me as aquatics and I do not play nice. I don't smell much of the fruitiness or the blood.
Wet: Very aquatics still with strong floral scent. I'm fighting the urge to wash my wrist vigorously.
Dry: Still aquatic as the first note, but a bit floral-y like a lightly floral and powdery soap you get in fancy hotels. I do smell just a hint of lemon. Dry, I'd say is a 3.5/10 on me.

This is definitely a clean laundry smell on me. In the bottle, all the way through to drydown, its a slightly floral soap. There was a little phase during drydown that I had hope; the resin became more prominent for a few minutes, but alas, it is not to be.

A little more interesting than normal 'laundry smell', definitely has a pleasant salty tang, but not something I am ever going to wear. This is very nice doused on my rice milk dryer sheets and tossed in with a load, or spritzed over clean sheets and towels. After an hour or so they don't smell perfumed at all: just a blissful, fresh-cleaned scent.

Wanted: unique aquatic scent. Got: way to make all my laundry smell awesome.

Emoticon rating: <_<

Edited by kaitan

On the skin: Definitely a clean aquatic scent. Smells very airy and like a really nice laundry detergent. Not for me at all.

I never really smell much of the blood note as far as I can tell. Just the ocean/aquatic/ozone.

This is a miracle scent. Aquatics are iffy on me, and dragons blood very rarely works. This combo works.

Fresh on, the dragons blood is there, same as in dragon's milk (I don't know if the lab has multiple types of db). Then there's a biy of ocean. Fresh, clean, slightly salty. Definitely aquatic. The db adds a warm sweetness to the ocean scent. It's resiny (duh) and sweet - I can see the colors red & light blue swirling together.

I finally figured out what I'm smelling. A favorite incense of mine - Devi's Passion. That's more floral, not aquatic, but the spreading sweet red resin is the same. Love it!

Imp: Salty, floral, citrussy, tangy and windy-- smells like Jolly Roger but with some added sweat or blood or iron. I don't love salty aquatics and I don't love florals, but I actually like this!

Wet: A soft aquatic, a floral dragon's blood, and, unexpected and gorgeous, a deep and incensey orange with touches of cinnamon and iron and something else dark and sweet and smokey. Dragon's blood has a tendency to go bathroom-cleanser on me due to the high-pitched floral nature of it, but there's something in here, a dusty note that is so so familiar from buying incense at head shops. Champaca? Patchouli? Sandalwood? Whatever it is, it's saving the whole thing from disaster.

Dry: This dries into one of the nicest aquatics I think I've ever smelled, ozone-y and fresh but with that underlying layer of floral and heavy incense. I'll have to see how much I reach for it, but I could see using this to scent my clothes or my skin when I'm in a sultry, summer-y mood.

I like how clean this is. Just fresh aquatic with a little dragon's blood, but not much. It does ride that edge of maybe floral, but I think I can get away with it in the right situation. This would be great as a shower soap.

This smells like a nice, pleasant cologne to me. A little salty, but mostly kind of a breezy aquatic. I'm not sure I'd be able to identify a "blood" note, but it does seem more complex than a standard aquatic.

In the bottle: ….Floral ocean? A hint of amber? I’m really not sure how on earth to describe this scent. I LIKE it, I just don’t really recognize the notes in it.

On wet: Amber with a sort of tang? I’m assuming it’s the dragons blood but I’m not really smelling anything.

On dry: It’s veeeery slowly getting stronger again, gaining that floral/ocean scent I liked in the bottle.

This was a frimp from the Lab, light brown-orange in the vial. Blind test.

In Vitro Perfumy, floral and/or resin.

Wet Fresh on this was an old-fashioned floral perfume. After a few minutes the faintest whiff of soap joined in.

Drying The same, perhaps a bit less sweet. Faint after four hours.

After revealing the label that same evening I dabbed a bit on and picked up a bit of what might be an aquatic note. On the whole this was floral with no identifiable components. Most of the reviews for The Sea Foams Blood mention dragon's blood and since I got nothing but floral sweetness from Dragon's Hide, I'm not surprised by the result here. I do like this and it's strong on me but I don't need a bottle.

I love this! :wub2: Definitely the best aquatic/green/blood note I've ever tried! I think the greeness comes from Irish Moss, given that's just my guess but it's an apt estimate. The ocean blue note is stronger, classier and different from Dragon's Tears and the DB is nice, toothy and sleek. I'm marking this for a bottle purchase sometime in the future for sure. :wub2:

In the imp: Resinous and salty.

Wet: Resinous and incensey.

I don't do well with resins as a main note, even though I don't wear these scents directly on my skin. I'm trying to give this the benefit of the doubt, but I'm almost waiting for this one to turn to powder/diaper bag, or give me headaches/sneezes.

As it warmed up, the resin calmed down and the salty water came forward a little more.

I'm intrigued. I'll try it again when I'm sure that the nascent headache and sneeze aren't due to wine and allergies. ;)

In the bottle: A bracing aquatic; sharp sea air.

Wet on my skin and Drydown: Briny salt, the metallic part of blood - not the lab's "Blood" scent but, y'know, actual blood. And I love me all the dragon's blood scents, I'm just not picking any up here. So this is about as spot-on as a scent can get to the title!

This is one of the least morphing BPALs I've tried - it stays a salty aquatic. The throw is above average and it lasted most of the day, so it's a great one if you like these notes.

Note: my skin wrecks aquatics.

A pretty coral pink oil. In the imp, it smells complex and salty.

On me, wet and dry both, all the complexity went away. My skin turned it into something sadly like Irish Spring deodorant soap. I guess I soaked up all the blood, leaving only seafoam. Not for me.

Edited by Teamama

On my skin, this is very heavily salted water and a coppery red note. I get no spa-like oceanic air vibe from this as I do from The Sea Foams Milk. It's more like boiling saltwater in a copper kettle on the stove, without the heat.

Dried, it smells like salty copper. Did I mention this is salty? You'd send this soup back at the restaurant.

In the imp: Wow, I'm already getting soap and it's not even on my skin yet! A breath of fresh florals hangs around on the edges, but in general, hello Soaptown.

Wet: Unlike usual, when a scent is fascinating and complex ITI but turns to soap once it hits my skin, this one actually gains a little depth. The soap is still there, no doubt, but more definite aquatics are also present, I think I'm getting some actual seaside salt, and the florals are a little more... reliable? Overall, this is a less screechy, more relaxed version of ITI.

Dry: Straight-up soap (without even the florals) trades places with, but eventually gives way to, of all things, a light, pleasant cologne. Where TF did this come from??? It's almost resinous or woody by the end, but it's a soft, comfortable, masculine scent. Very much not what I'd expected from the imp - I hope some serious aging will bring this stage forward and diminish, even if it can't completely eradicate, the Actual Soap stage.

Not a fan of aquatics, nor do I really love dragon's blood, but I DO like testing everything I can, so here goes!

Wet: This is actually quite pleasant, for an aquatic, but very very dark and sinister! The DB is coming through, but there's something else in there too.

Dry: Yep, soapy aquatic. They're just not for me. If you like clean smelling aquatics though, I bet this is lovely.

Very oceany with a dragon's blood scent overlying it. If Dragon's Tears is a dragon's blood scent with an undercurrent of saltwater aquatic, this is a saltwater aquatic scent with an undercurrent of dragons blood. The aquatic seems to be the most prominent note. The dragon's blood starts off fresh and light, the "cherry-floral" side that I see in so many reviews, and over the course of the dry down it deepens into a more resinous aspect and competes more strongly with the aquatic notes. I enjoyed it but want to wear it again to get a better sense of it.

The blood note is so shy, like it has been sitting in the ocean for several hours and has had time to mix. Once you really sniff, you can catch the metallic tang of it. On first sniff, and on drydown for me, this smells like the Irish Springs soap my grandmother kept in her bathroom. It always made me sneeze, and unfortunately, so does this imp.

Received as a frimp. Wet, this smells exactly like a slightly salty version of Irish Springs soap. Dry, it's a very intense salty, aquatic cologne with a rusty red note. Unfortunately it gives me a headache when I wear it, but it would smell really good on someone else!

From the imp: Aquatic salty soap. Reminds me of a veeeerrry watered down Thalassa.
Dry, it's really subtle and I "get" the blood-note... almost as if there is just a hint of saffron in there? Other than and the salt note it just vanishes on my skin. :mellow:

As my baby sister lovingly put it "thats an old woman's perfume". In the bottle I can see a wave crushing down on me. On it's totally soapy aquatic. It's not my cup of tea.

Starts of salty, salty, salty. It lightens up as it dries with a light floral aspect. Salty, fresh sea air with a sharp mossy greeness and light florals.