Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Sea Foams Blood

Blood rising through an ocean wave.

First off, I should admit that I don't like dragon's blood, and I'm picky about aquatics. I got this purely for the name, hoping against hope that it would smell good on me so that I could enjoy answering people when they asked what I was wearing.

In the vial: Very salty aquatic with a metallic tang.

On, fresh: Hmm, not too bad, actually, it's warmer and sweeter than I expected from smelling the vial.

Dry: Salt salt salt! You know when you swim in the ocean and a wave breaks over your head and the water goes up your nose and cakes your throat? That's how this was. And I so wanted to love it... :(

Wow, this is really salty smelling with a hint of a metallic note. Verrrry interesting.

Unfortunately as it dries, it does what most aquatic and blood notes do on me, goes soapy. Granted, it's a wonderful salty soap scent, kind of how you smells when you start to wash off after swimming in the ocean. I would be tempted to keep it just for that, but it begins to give me a headache. :(

Oh well, off to a new home that will hopefully love it more.

It's a shame that I soap up aquatics as much as I do, but I haven't found a way around it, and I never get the throw/lasting power I want if I put it into a locket or on my clothes.

With that disclaimer out of the way: dry, SFB is straight-up Irish Spring and huffing an old change jar (I do so love metallic notes, but not with Irish Spring) on me :( This is more disappointing than I expected, because:

Wet, like the second it touches my skin, SFB is INCREDIBLE, and smells very convincingly of blood and salt air. If you have good luck with lockets/etc. I'm going to strongly recommend this one. I am exploring other ways to wear it to see if I can kill the Irish Spring note because this blend is strikingly evocative--definitely one of the most accurate BPAL blends I've tried, until my skin murders it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I'm not one for aquatics but this turned into what I can only describe as an aquatic incense on me and the combination was surprisingly pleasant. It starts as a bit of a salty aquatic, but the blood note tempers it nicely and it never goes screamy or soapy - as aquatics are wont to do on my skin.

This is another one of those atypical summer scents that has my name written all over it. There's salty, resfreshing seaspray deepened and sweetened by the blood accord. It's...it's an evil beach, that's it. :twisted:

Not one on my wiosh list, but I was frimped it and was initially very excited! A soapy smell faded almost immediately to a beautiful, delicate aquatic with a light floral effect. NO metallic, therefore completely different from Festival of Anuket.

And then, horror of horrors, the itching started, and I was forced to wash it off. I'm not allergic to any resins, so there must be a hint of patchouli or nicotiana in there somewhere. :(

This scent smells like a mix of ozone and sea water. Then the floral note comes. It's heading toward linen-floral. It reminds me a lot of Sea Island Cotton from Bath and Body Works. The two are really close.

And I do possess a bottle of Sea Island Cotton, so I don't need more the same scent. I mean, it isn't exactly the same, as the BPAL blend has a bit more depth, but the Sea Island Cotton has a lot more throw and lasting power on my skin and clothes than The Sea Foams Blood does.

I don't really get people saying there is Dragon's Blood in this. The term "blood" could mean other notes too. I smell only salt, ozone, water, cotton and florals.

Edited by Madame Nyx

:::THE SEA FOAMS BLOOD:::

There is veritably no end to the wonders that BPAL regularly unleashes to disrupt the last vestiges of reasoning that serve as so flimsy a tether to the civilized world...The Sea Foams Blood efficiently and yet again undoes said tether with the finality and decisiveness of a SNIP.

The curiosity that drives the train of thought to ponder the possibilities of just how an OIL that smells so INCREDIBLY like water is accomplished is fated to unceremoniously derail and carom headlong into the stony cliffs of migraine...

Surrender is a beautiful thing and pairs quite nicely with ignorance of chemistry.

The Sea Foams Blood is utterly spectacular... A buoyant and surreal marine fragrance dominates the theme and is made all the more beautiful by the coppery splendor of hot blood & translucent, ephemeral florals.

Applying The Sea Foams Blood to the skin revealed a magnificent vegetal fragrance. It was difficult to place at first, but eventually exuded a boquet that was remniscent of a cross between a freshly opened pumpkin and a peeled, sliced cucumber.

The Sea Foams Blood gets better and better the longer it wears.

The Sea Foams Blood is, if anything, ALIVE. This is one of the most alive fragrances encountered so far; between the blood, the botanicals, and the brine, The Sea Foams Blood absolutely thrums with breath and spirit.

The universal theme of this formula maintains consistency by being profoundly unisex.

Equally potent for Him or Her.

LOVING this frangrance.

5 out of 5!

I tried this at Sakura-con and liked it enough to buy a bottle. The first impression is fresh and floral, although I can't identify any individual notes, it eventually becomes salty and metallic and reminds me of the beach.

EDITED after more wear: I am starting to wish I'd just waited and ordered an imp instead of getting a whole bottle. I have to go lightly with this one. I like the wet stage better than the dry, but even wet, if I put too much on it's a bit nausea-inducing. I can see myself wanting it for specific moods but I am thinking of swapping it.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I absolutely adore The Sea Foams Blood. It is a very soothing Sea scent with a hint of metallic to it. Warm Wet and living. When I close my eyes I smell water clear blue and brilliant, a hint of ocean breeze and the tang of blood and salt, i can almost see the fish in the water swimming in brilliant schools.

It is a perfect blend for my tastes. My wife thinks it smells like powder on me...(then again most bpal on me smell like powder to her) but my coworkers kinda liked it.

Best part had to be the fact that it lasted 12+ hours on me. WooHoo!

It would make a wonderful bath salt, or possibly a nice anointing oil for water spell work.

I will certainly be looking for more of this scent. :-D

In the imp, I get the same sort of oceany note that I get in Egle and The Sea Foams Milk, with a bit of a tang to it. On my skin, it's the same, and I don't think the blood note is dragon's blood! We'll see what this does. A touch too metallic for me, gonna pass.

Edited by Venneh

In the Imp: flowery & watery

Wet on Skin: A spicy almost rosy smell, with the distinct aquatic note behind it. Second test: definitely an aquatic, with a floral element - maybe hyacinth? jonquil? one of those thick-juicy-stem types.

While Drying: The Boy says 'old lady,' and recognizes it, but doesn't like it. Spicy gives way to slightly soapy. The water aspect is still prominent. Second test: not as bad as Stormhold, but definitely doing the bar soap impression.

After a Little While: Soapy,soapy,soapy,soapy - even if it turned amazing after this point, I won't ever want to wait through the old-lady-perfume-soap-doom stage to get there… Finding a baby wipe to remove this. Second test: yup, definitely not my scent. Soapy aquatic. Must remove.

The Sea Foams Blood earns a 2/5 on my skin.

I bought a bottle from this blindly from the Lab, mostly because I heard that it was the Lab's aquatic notes, which I love, plus the Lab's salt note, which I worship. So, let's have a go :D

In the bottle, this already smells freaking brilliant. Just what it says in the description - salty blood with a hint of dragon's blood, possibly, and aquatics.

On wet - Aquatics, straight-up, fairly salty.

Drydown - Oh I love this. It's everything I wanted and more! :D It smells like salty seawater and a misty cloud of sea-spray. Salty, and with a hint of dragon's blood. Outstanding! Going on my top ten list, for sure :D

This is the first time I've ever been hit by the soap note of death. I wanted to smell aquatics in this, but all I get is floral soap. Nice soap...expensive soap, even...But soap, nonetheless.

Wet: I got a sort of soft, hard-to identify scent that was vaguely reminiscent of baby powder.

+20min: Became more clearly defined as a baby powder and soap smell.

Overall: Not for me - it's yet another lovely-in-the-imp that turns to baby powder on my flesh. I'm cursed. :(

Edited by FeatherQwill

Eaarrgh. No, this one is more than disappointing. Aquatics usually work, and the blood note in Bloodlust is kind to me.

But something in this is really disliking my skin. It went on astringent, powerfully so, and dried quickly down into a sad babypowder.

Good fortune to all those for whom this works, on land or sea. Swap pile for me.

I don't know exactly what's in this, but within 1 minute of putting a tiny, tiny dab on the back of my hand, the spot had gone deep red and was hurting. Even washing it off hasn't stopped it nipping. Yikes. There's something in this I'm quite allergic to!

It does smell EXTREMELY strongly for something I used such a tiny amount of. Eyewateringly so, even after washing. Unfortunately the smell is of really cheap soap or dish soap. It also has a slightly salty note with the soap. Not pleasant at all. :(

The Sea Foams Blood

On: The tang of metallic blood with salt and ozone, and maybe a bit of lotus.

1 hour in: This is all salty on me.

2.5 hours in: Saltwater spray. Pretty strong.

7 hours in: Still about the same. I'm surprised this is still so strong.

Overall: This is a really interesting (and strong) blend. It lasted for quite a while and smelled just the spray from the ocean.

This is the second aquatic I've tried. The first - Mary Read - didn't work out, but I learned after it was probably because of the patchouli. I had high hopes for The Sea Foams Blood as one of the reasons I started buying imps was to find a good ocean scent.

In the imp: Soapy.

On the skin: Still soapy. As it drys, it's reminding me of fabric softener sheets, though The Sea Foams Blood has a darker feeling to it. This is definitely a cooler scent.

Overall Thoughts: The Sea Foams Blood remains consistently soapy. No semblance of blood or saltiness. Perhaps my reaction to Mary Read was not being able to handle either patchouli or aquatics. :(

I'd still like to find an aquatic that works for me some day. Will keep the imp and try aging it to see if that changes anything.

My father lives on the coast-- this frimp reminds me a bit of being at his home, with the tang of the salt sea air on my lips. I smell like this after a day at the sea.

Then the tang becomes a bit more violent, a bit more metallic... the name is the perfect description for this particular blend.

I will keep my imp for its novelty: I could see myself having a day of wanting to wear this (maybe a reading day with something like the Count of Monte Cristo or another epic, vengeful, sea-worthy drama) but it's not an everyday or even every month scent.

That said, if I had unlimited funds I would buy a bottle for my 'esoteric, evocative smells' collection.

I'll be honest-this scent is SO not up my alley based on the description :ack: But I have to try em all and you never know with bpal. Aquatics/blood notes just usually ain't my thang.

In the imp it's like BAM SALTY AQUATIC with a hint of something metallic.

Hhrrbbll. Yes, this is quite salty. Super salty aquatic with a metallic tang.I agree with the reviewer who said there may also be lotus in this.

It dries down to a less salty, but still very aquatic/metallic blend. Honestly, not terrible, but just not something I would wear.

In the imp, this smells disturbingly like Zest soap. I haven't quite worked up the nerve to try it yet.... I don't particularly *want* to smell like Zest, and most of BPAL's scents do not let go of my skin without a fight.

I was so so SO excited to try this one when I first got it.

In the imp: Aquatic, subtlety metallic, and slightly fruity.

Wet: Still very aquatic, gets a bit salty, and more metallic.

Dry: Metallic salt water spray. LOVE this. Not too salty, not too metallic, it's all just right. This is definitely bottle-worthy for me.

imp: orange, iron and salt

wet: even more salty and something ocean-y makes an appearance. something sea-plant-y.

dry: not normally a fan of watery fresh smells, but this one is quite nice. throws just enough and has a lovely but sexy vibe to it.

In Imp: All I get is Dragon's Blood (definitely not a mercurial style blood; this is full out Dragon's, which explains the red color of the oil) and salt.

Wet: Salty, frothy DB. It smells like it should be from the Ars Draconis line; but I may amp DB a little more than most. As it rests, some more oceanic smells come out; salt and sea foam. It's quite realistic, to me! But almost a little too soapy.

Drydown: Getting a bit more of the nice, clean aquatic that I love from BPAL.

Verdict: It's almost too Dragon's Blood-y for me, but as far as a DB scent goes this is quite nice; would probably top Dragon's Hide and some of the other Ars Draconis blends for me. I'll call it a 3/5, but I think this will go in my swap/frimp pile. It's just not a genre that I tend to reach for often enough.