Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Sea Foams Milk

Milk cresting on an ocean wave.

On: Salty and ozone-filled water with a hint of something sweet and creamy. A very odd combination.
2 hours in: Mostly sweet cream with a salty edge.
6 hours in: Still sweet cream. I think this is a bit too creamy for me.
Overall: This is too much for me.

In the bottle: OH GOD ROTTING MILK THAT IS WEEKS OLD AND HAS BEEN LEFT IN 90 DEGREE HEAT!!! my gag reflex is to this in the bottle is just so strong I'm deathly afraid to put it on at all. but I will...tentatively. :umm:

On my skin: lucky for me, the aquatic notes mostly take over when it's on my skin. unfortunately, the aquatics are too strong and so smell like so much cleaning fluid, mixed with that rotting oversweetened milk.

Last thoughts: milky notes in scents are _definitely_ not for me! nothing can convey how disgusting this smells to me. :sick2:

The first sniff I got the same rotting milk smell but it was also strangely comforting......it's what babies smell like to me.........ew. BUT then I sniffed it a few more times and the rotting sent went away so I'm now going to try it because it's that clean aquatic smell everyone's been talking about.

In the bottle: Fresh almost cleaning product fresh but my mother was a house cleaner so it doesn't bother me, and then the hint of milk that isn't quite enjoyable I'm pretty scared.

Wet: No milk to be seen a bit of an aquatic floral nothing special but very nice I would wear this as a mother or a nurse.

Dry: There is a bit of a coconut scent coming out and it's starting to smell a little like sunscreen. It's changing again.....now it smells like aquatics and cream just like it's supposed to.very nice and pretty I like it a lot.

Much later: It's a bit sweet and hardly there at all close to my skin but I get hints of the aquatic every now and again. AND THERE IS THE WAX My skin turns anything pretty waxy so it smells like a very pretty scented candle, I hate it >.< but it's not intolerable just takes away from it a bit.

I like this very much I think it's the most feminine scent I've tried and would be perfect for anyone who wants to smell pretty but isn't a big fan of florals.

Edited by Eleven11

Okay, this is way too bizarre on me. You know what it smells like? At first it smells sort of generically aquatic-- but five minutes later, it is a pretty clear scent of coconut meat, lotus blossom, and vanilla. And maybe a little light musk? It reminds me REALLY strongly of Obatala, except that I don't hate it. (Maybe it's the lack of shea butter?)

Doesn't seem milky to me at all, and I don't really get anything oceanic from it after the first few minutes. Not at all what I was expecting from this scent.

I was frimped this with my last order. From the name and description alone I would never ever ever, not in the whole of time, try this scent. I like the milk in Milk Moon 2007, and I am more often than not pretty neutral on aquatic scents, but the thought of mixing the two seemed too discordant to work.

But I am so happy the lab decided to send it along. I had no idea a blend of sweet creaminess and salty-aquatic-ness could smell so beautiful. My assumptions pre-sniffing were completely wrong!

I cannot tell which I smell more during any phase of wearing, but it does smell to me like the 'higher' part of the scent would be the ocean, rounded off by a sweet, creamy milk. It is ever so slightly masculine, but a 'pretty' masculine.

The biggest characteristic and scent description would be comforting. It makes me want to curl up and close my eyes, if not nap. If someone else were wearing this, I would want them to hold me, if that makes sense.

I will definitely have to buy a bottle of this ASAP!

So.

I cannot palate this, and it's the first scent I've ever had the "OMG get this off of me" reaction to. It definitely is what it says it is, but to me the milk is yellow, unctuous and fatty. It sticks to the deep inside of the rough of my mouth in a not good way.

The aquatics started off really lovely but they get drowned out really fast. Yikes!

I'm adding myself to the list of people who would never have bought this from the description. Ever. Though apparently the lab knows better; it assumed I'd like it so much that it sent along two samples with my latest order.

In the imp: Sweet florals under an ocean of water. VERY sweet florals. There's nothing even vaguely milky.

Wet: Salt. Lemon. Sea-grass. Vanilla. Ozone. Quite a decent throw, and I probably didn't need to put on quite as much as I did. It might look pale and watery, but it's actually a strong little scent.

Dry: Citrus and salt for a good hour and then slowly, slowly, the milk starts coming through. It's not a dairy or cream scent, it's earthy coconut milk - very similar to the coconut hit I get from 2012's mushroom & milk Box of Chocolates blend.

Overall, it's a far more pleasant experience than I'd been expecting. The common description of 'comforting' is pretty accurate. I want to wear this on a cold, cloudy day, underneath a big wooly jumper. 7/10 and I'll keep at least one of these imps.

This was a frimp from the Lab. I rarely do well with aquatics, but I'm learning to never say never with BPAL...Beth actually made me like vetiver last night, so you never know.

In vial: Soap.

Wet: My first impression is of a bathroom shared between opposite-sex partners--I smell both a masculine soap like Irish Spring and a feminine soap like Dove.

Drydown: I'm wanting to place The Sea Foams Milk on a spectrum between two other aquatic BPALs I've tried: Windward Passage and Sea of Glass. The Sea Foams Milk is not as soapy nor as masculine as Windward Passage, but it reminds me a little of it somehow. It also reminds me of Sea of Glass, though Sea Foams Milk is not quite as sharp due to it not having that strong lemon note. The upshot is that I do like it somewhat better than Sea of Glass, which was an unmitigated trainwreck on my skin.

Dry: This is reminding me of something like CKone. I don't know if it really smells like CKone, as it's been years since I smelled it, but it has a similar vibe: unisex, a little soapy, expensive, sleek, and having a quality that always reads as "sharp" or "piercing" to me but that others read as "clean." Upper middle class college students in 1996. If it were a color, it would be a steely silver.

Verdict: Not for me, and if I had any more of it on, I'd likely have a headache. But a well-done blend that will appeal to others.

ETA: After trying to wash it off, I can finally smell the milk note. Weird. I'm not really digging it, though.

Edited by lady_pandora

In the imp...interestingly enough, not a ton of smell. Maybe a slight, sharp, tang with a barely there saltiness.

On wet...the labs aquatic note becomes strongly apparent. It is reminiscent of a slightly (very slightly) citron mixed with sea spray.

On dry...as it warms a creaminess emerges, sweet and tempering to the high aquatic sea note. The salt weaves in among the creamy aquatic notes and gives them some grounding. It has a touch of a cologne vibe which I quite enjoy, and I think that's fairly standard for the labs aquatic tones. Decent throw when dry.

All in all I like it very much, it is perfectly balanced and I will surely use up the imp!

Edited by Wren12

Wet: Salty and soapy. An opaque white soap like Shea butter or goat's milk. Refreshing.

Drydown: As it dries, the soapiness slowly transitions into a milky note. Frothy, clean milk encrusted with heaps of sea salt.

Dry: A beautiful creamy aquatic emerges. Ocean spray with a vanilla-ish undercurrent and a touch of bergamot. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a white floral in there too. Tuberose or white lily perhaps. Clean, pale, and comforting.

7 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the vial: Strong, salty, almost floral acquatic. Reminds me of the ocean or rain yankee candles.

Wet: Very strong on the salty acquatic note. I'm not getting any milk yet. After a few minutes, it's a warm almost floral acquatic. Still very candle-y.

Dry: It's still a candle-y apartment. I'm not getting any milk at all.

Note: I was on my period when I tried this, so I'm planning on trying it again in a couple weeks or so just in case it's a morpher.

This starts off as a pure aquatic scent on me, maybe with a touch of florals as someone else mentioned. I'm still waiting on the milk note.

After a while: Ah, there it is! A creamy, white note comes into play and sweetens up the blend considerably. I quite like it!

Overall, this one was a surprise hit for me, since I don't usually do aquatics, but the milk note intrigued me (I have lately been on a search for the perfect BPAL milk note). I was pleasantly surprised by this, and I actually think I'm a little bit in love. :wub:

Although I am FAR from having smelled all that is BPAL madness, I believe I have found my favorite in this scent. When wet I get more of the aquatic note but it dries down to a milky, creamy with a hint of sweetness on me. Also, this lasts for the whole day although it isn't very *strong* smelling, it has staying power.

I absolutely LOVE this scent so much. I said that already, right? ;) I believe this is a nice summer scent. I dream of being at a deserted beach just before dusk with this and taking in the air. I can almost hear the seagulls.....

In the imp: Milk. And. Ocean. What? How do they DO that???

Wet on skin: Same. So bizarre & yet... I love it!

Dry on skin: Both notes are still there, but the effect is less "surrounded by ocean & milk" & more "outdoors, at a cafe near the beach, with a milky dessert" (like an unflavoured milkshake, unflavoured icecream or something covered completely in cream). Very weird & yet I still really like it!

After a few hours: I'm not even sure how to describe this now, but it smells strangely... dry? Almost like sandalwood. Otherwise, pretty similar to how it was after it had just dried on my skin. Milky & salty & almost driftwood-ish.

Verdict: Weird, but I kind of like it! I'd probably use it more in a scent locket though.

Frimped, I am *not* an aquatics person, but gave it a shot anyway.

It smells like the bathroom of a posh hotel, that kind of unisex, non-offensive, swanky and expensive handsoap smell. Would actually make a really nice soap, but as a perfume, not for me!

So aquatic over the top, male cologne, for me at first stiff on wet skin. Light hint of milk or maybe even coconut??? Lavender??

But I have learned to wait with Beth's brews for the magic of the morphing process. Yep, 20 minutes later, there it is- milk and sea! Beautiful! I think this will be a summer sleep oil.

In the imp: Creamy aquatic

Wet: Salty and creamy

Dry: Creamy and aquatic once again. Like very very slight sweet lemon and milk? I was wary of this because I'd never tried a cream/milk not perfume before and have read how it really disagrees with some people. So glad that doesn't apply to me because this is clean and fresh and awesome. My favourite just-got-out-the-bath fragrance for relaxing at night and I'm definitely buying a big bottle.

I typically cannot handle any mind of aquatic note (instant headache), nor has there ever been a milk/cream note that didn't turn plastic or sour on my skin.

So it's pretty freaking miraculous that this works for me.

The milk tempers the (usually) harsh ocean scent and I'm left with a tingly sweet breath of sea air.

I like to wear it to bed sometimes (like I am now) as it's relaxing and subtle. Soft.

I swapped for a bottle, even though it won't be a scent that I consistently reach for. But when the mood strikes, it's perfect.

Starts as an aquatic men's cologne. An edge of lemony sweetness emerges. Then the milk note shows up, and it's like a super creamy, milky, sudsy white bar of soap. You can literally smell the foamy, white bar, soapy bubbles. I really like showery/soapy scents, so I really like this, but not particularly what I would call a "sea" scent. I don't get any brine or saltiness, just beautiful soap bubbles!

In the imp: The sea note is the most prominent, but I do smell the milk note in this as well, making this more appealing to me than most aquatic scents.

Wet: More ocean than milk. It's an odd combination. As the scent begins to dry down, the milk note becomes a lot more prominent.

Dry: The milk note in this makes all the difference. It adds a warmth to this aquatic scent.

Verdict: This is the most pleasant aquatic scent I've tried thus far, but I don't think I'd wear this one even though I enjoy the milk note.

Aquatics are not my jam, but this was a frimp from the Lab, and I try anything I can get my hands on!

Wet: Pretty standard aquatic. Not getting a lot of the cream/milk note. It's nice, if I liked this type of scent I imagine I would really enjoy it. It's pretty realistic of sea air, and isn't turning instantly to dryer sheets like most aquatics do on me, but I'm still having a hard time imagining actually wearing this. Maybe to the beach? It does give a really beachy vibe, not in the tropical sense, a swim in the lake rather than the ocean.

Dry: This ends up very very sweet on me. Kind of floral, but still mostly aquatic. Not for me, but glad to have tried it.

Whoa, this is very much sea salt at first - it reminds me of those little packets I would buy for my underwear drawers as a kid. This disappates after awhile and the milk comes in, but not as strongly as I would like. But, still this is a perfect scent for those who want a lovely, sea spray scent.

Oceanic air, saltwater, and a little milk that, on my skin, disappears almost immediately, leaving a plain oceanic spa scent that vanishes soon after.

I was scared of this one. Salty milk just sounded wrong, ya know? But it was fresh, and creamy and actually really pretty! But then it disappeared! Apparently I scare it but than it scared me.