Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Sea Foams Milk

Milk cresting on an ocean wave.

This is incredible, and I had bad luck with the milky note in both Milk Moons.

Wet: Salty ocean air and milk--odd, but refreshing!

Dry and for the duration: This turns into pure milk on me, not foody, not heavy or sour, but light and bright and creamy. This is perfection for Summer and I need a bottle, Stat.

Thank you for creating this, Beth. :wub2:

This is nice and fresh, perfect for a summer day. The milk note must temper the aquatic, as I can actually wear this without washing it off. Nice, but I don't like it enough for a bottle.

The wonderful Miss Ralenth let me escape her Meet'n'Sniff with this imp from the lab. It was LOVE at first sniff!

The reminds me of The Phantom Cow of Yerba Buena Island. The milk note is the same for my nose. Simply replace the herbal greenery from Phantom Cow with beautiful aquatics and you get the Sea Foams Milk. Its light and pretty, one of the few scents that my DH commented about with out my asking his opinion. (yes, he likes it on me too!)

Over all this is quickly becoming one of my top BPAL scents! :lovestruck:

Edited for spelling

Edited by Xanon

At first there's an almost floral quality to it: I sniffed it from the imp and went, "Um, citrus? No, wait, florals Gardenias!" And then I put it on.

OH HI SALT I HAVE A CAT NAMED AFTER YOU. Salty creamy floral. Huh. Weird. After a few minutes the floral note goes away, leaving me with a scent not unlike those bar soaps you find in beach-themed stores, the ones that are shaped like sea shells. Sort of fresh and clean but still salty.

Having gotten this as a frimp from the Lab, I would never have picked this out on my own, but it's definitely interesting. Not sure if it's a keeper, as the "clean" smell is kind of generic, but I guess it'd be good for those days when I want to smell obnoxiously clean and scrubbed.

"...Down along the rocky shore

Some make their home,

They live on crispy pancakes

Of yellow tide-foam;…”

From The Fairies by William Allingham

I haven’t thought of this poem in years and as soon as I put this scent on, the words came rushing into my mind.

This is a very pure, clean and sweet smell on me. It’s a mixture of creamy milk and sea salt. I love it and think I might just have to get a bottle!!! :P

This scent reminds me of being a kid and going to the YMCA down the street from my house. It is weirdly reminiscent of the sun tan lotion that everyone wore. I can hear splashing and high children's voices, the sound of the guard's whistle and the thwack of the diving board as someone does a perfect Jackknife...

In The Bottle

Salty aquatic

On Application

Very salty aquatic

Dry Down

Sweetens and becomes softer on dry down. Becomes creamier as it dries. Pleasant but not for me.

Rating (0-5)

Sadly I can't smell the milk in this at all. It's a lovely, fresh aquatic scent with a light floral overtone that smells on me exactly like laundry detergent. It's really very pretty, but I don't want to walk around smelling like a pile of laundry just out of the dryer, especially as it has a strong throw on me. However, if you can't get enough of fresh laundry or if your childhood heroine was Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, you should rush right over and buy a bottle of this. :lol: You'll be in heaven.

Edited by Pesha Rocha

:::THE SEA FOAMS MILK:::

The Lab really does work some magic into their formulas, and The Sea Foams Milk is no exception.

It doesn't take much of a stretch to tell how this one is kin with The Sea Foams Blood... There are elements that unite them, indisputably.

The Sea Foams Milk is brilliant in that it is FIRMLY representative of what it is supposed to smell like; a sweet, creamy, frosty, milky goodness moseying along on a blue, briny, swollen wave... Delightful and a bit kooky.

There is also something in this that is suggestive of whatever it is that differentiates bubble-bath from shampoo or liquid soap... It reacts with water and produces a distinctive fragrance.

The Sea Foams Milk is Aquatic, sweet, floral, and creamy.

The Sea Foams Milk is like an antithesis of the Cthulhu mythos... This is a shimmering, ethereal New Age sigh of pure, fluid light that disspells the horrors of the abyss.

A great, unisex fragrance.

5/5!

This is an oddball one. Brand new- I got it when first released- I took one sniff and was like *no*. It was straight up ozone dryer sheets in the bottle. I don't think I even skin tested it honestly, since I'm not a fan of that intense ozone smell and I took a chance on it because Obatala is one of my all time favorites. Anyway, I hadn't touched it again til just now.

I don't know if it aged really well- possibly- or if I just hadn't actually put it on my skin before, but it really is a world of difference between the bottle smell and dry on my skin. The bottle still smells like 100% ozone/aquatic. But applied, wet it's definitely that lovely milk from Obatala, and the ozone note backs off a lot, and starts smelling more like the water note I do like- again, Obatala, and Selkie share it I think- and it's actually quite pretty.

Dry, the ozone is morphed pretty much fully into the sweet water note, with the milk pretty intense too. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but it lasts quite well.

Generally speaking, BPALs milk notes and I get along really well. The sweet-water scents also are good on me. Ozone/aquatics not so much- they tend to go all dryer sheet on me.

It's definitely one of the handful of GCs I love. Unusual and lovely!

The sea! This is very close to the smell of summer vacations spent on the Adriatic. I can imagine slurping through a milkshake after a long swim, and reading through a captivating book in the shade on the beach.

Could be my strange sense of smell but there might be a hint of coconut in here somewhere but not prominent in any way just shows itself in the middle stages of the drydown. I need to keep coconuts away from my darling because he's allergic to them so the very smell triggers unhappy thoughts, lol. :sick2: Bless him.

I wasn't sure if I'd like it because salty scents aren't something I enjoy wearing but it was prettier that other salt water BPALs I've tried. :)

My brother, however, liked it lots so I gave it to him and I'll enjoy it from a far. ^_^

Frimp from the Lab!

In imp: Fresh watery/aquatic, slightly milky/creamy.

On skin: When wet, the aquatic element is initially dominant on top of a gently-sweet milky base. The roles gradually reverse as it dries -- eventually all that's left is a sweet milky scent, reminiscent of powdered milk, with a whiff of watery tang left over. The milk note is lightly sweet, warm, gentle, unobtrusive, and quite pleasant; the aquatic is definitely reminiscent of a blue-green ocean.

Verdict: The more I wear The Sea Foams Milk, the more I love it. It's very evocative: like an ocean wave crashing on the shore of my skin and leaving foamy milk behind as it recedes/dries. Hokey description :lol: but that's exactly what happens on me! My only complaint is that I love aquatics (and they love me too, so far) and wish the aquatic part lasted a bit longer. Nevertheless I'll be keeping the imp and happily using it.

Thank you to the Lab for making such a lovely scent and introducing me to something new and wonderful!

Edited by Vega

Imp: Right off the bat I'm a little frowny. I smell aquatic--nothing wrong there, I love aquatics!--and the milk note from White Rabbit. I, unfortunately, hate White Rabbit with the fire of thousand angry suns.

Wet: Because I have the crazy I still decide to put this on my skin. That doesn't mitigate the problem, the problem being that I think this particular milk note is vomitous and want to never smell it again as long as I live. Instead I put it on. It sits on my skin smelling exactly like it did in the imp. Then I get a WAVE of vomity milk and aquatic cologne. I wonder about the state of my mind considering I knew this would happen and yet put it on my skin anyway.

Dry: I have it on my arm and I'm typing. And I notice that the throw is amazing--all clean, fresh aquatic with a little seaweed and saltiness thrown in for good measure. So I sniff my arm up close. Amazing aquatic and milk vomit. Definitely not a scent you want to smell up close but not the unmitigated failure White Rabbit was on me. So bravo, skin chemistry. It's okay so long as you don't get too up close and personal. Kind of like a Canada Goose.

Throw: The aquatic throws for miles. The milk stays close to my skin and ponders what other horrid things it can do to my olfactory system.

Overall: While I value my personal space, I like hugs and cuddles and settling disagreements with Greco-Roman wrestling as much as the next person and a scent that draws you in by smelling lovely and then smacking you with milk vomit is not really one that I want to be wearing. Love the throw, it's just a shame about the up close scent.

The same sea note that I got in Egle and a hint of cream in the imp. On my skin, sea and milk, and the latter's not going funky. Hrm. We'll see how this goes!

On the second skin test, I'm getting that lovely sea and cream note, not as cologney as in other aquatics I've tried. Barring any sudden turns, this is probably going to be a keeper.

Edited by Venneh

It goes on as a strong, bright aquatic and dries down to a creamy, subdued aquatic. That's pretty much it; it's rather simple. So far the milk note hasn't turned sour like it often does on me, which is a plus. Reminds me of the milk note in Shadwell and Bread-and-Butterfly. Actually, I am reminded of Shadwell an awful lot in general, due to the combination of milk and aquatics. This is a very pretty, fresh scent and would be nice to wear on a rainy spring day.

Recently received as a frimp in a swap. (^_^)

Wet: A very potent aquatic note.

+20min: Pretty much the same except that, oddly enough, it smells "fresher" now.

Overall: Well, this definitely suits me better than The Sea Foams Blood. But I don't think that aquatic scents are really my thing, so I think this'll be going to the swaps.

I received this as a frimp w/ egle from the lab!

Wet: very creamy milky with a light oceanic salty note. A bit more pacific than atlantic, but that's ok. (I haven't been to the west coast yet, but have smelled relics from both.) I love this scent. Creamy salty aquatic. Refreshing and comforting.

Drydown: It turns a bit tropical? The milk note now smells like coconut milk and the salt air aquatic note is still there. This is lovely. Storing for summertime on the Maine coast!

imp: milk and aquatic, very unusual.

wet: this is the milk moon 2007 milk note with the jolt of an aquatic. this is strangely alluring, i did not except to like this as much as i do.

dry: the aquatic is a little stronger as it dries but keeps that creamy smoothness from the milk. amazing.

WHAAAAAT :eek:

is this even real? i don't think it is...

it smells so good!!!!!!

yet it's so simple...

finally an aquatic other than szepasszony that i can deal with! in fact, i LOVE it. :heart:

refreshing and milky. just what you'd expect!

Blends like this are the reason I try things I don't think I would like.

This strikes me as a creamy white flower, a bit of milk, a bit of salt, a tiny hint of coconut maybe.

I don't normally think of myself as liking milk or cream scents since I seem to remember thinking they went sour on my skin - but here we are. This is definitely milky and it totally works for me. I don't normally like florals either. This blend shouldn't work for me at all, but it totally does and I'm putting it on my bottle list. This will make a lovely spring scent, it's fresh, clean and light without being herbal, lemon or soapy.

I love it when I come across scents that break all my rules and show me how much I have to learn.

ETA: during the dry down I keep feeling like I'm smelling some fantastic vanilla french toast. Sure enough, it's this stuff. The surprises just keep coming :)

Update: I loved this scent and bought a bottle. Unfortunately the bottle scent is MUCH more floral than what I had in the imp that this review was based on :cry2:

2nd Update: Bought another bottle thinking that maybe the bottle I already had was a fluke. Nope. I guess the wonderful smelling imp was the fluke. This bottle is also more floral/aquatic than creamy and sweet. It ends up smelling like generic floral bathroom spray.Very sad :cry2:

Edited by strahlend

I'll have to be honest-milk notes worry me. They almost never work on my skin. However, it's bpal, so you never know!

Sniffing from the imp this is mostly salty cologney aquatic-I actually don't even notice the milk note (and usually it hits me in the face)-it just appears to add a pleasant creaminess to this blend.

Yeah, this is not the usual milk note-This blend is still mostly salty salty aquatics, with a creamy light milky note overlaying it. The two very different kinds of notes go well together actually. This still isn't my thing, but it is really an amazing combination of two very different scents. This is just part of the genius of Beth! I really do feel like this kind of blend could have been a disaster in less capable hands.

I actually am enjoying this more as it dries-the overwhelming saltiness calms down a bit, and the mild milk note comes out a bit more. Such an odd combo but they really do work well together.

This fully dries down to a soft cologney-light milk scent. It really isn't something I would actually wear, but it is so unique and wonderfully blended. Everyone should try it just to enjoy Beth's artistry.

I don't smell much milk in this, mostly a soft but salty aquatic. It smells clean and fresh, but not startlingly watery like some aquatics do. It's softer and kind of breezy.

I don't usually wear scents like this, but for me this is definitely one of the more wearable aquatics. You don't smell it and think that it smells like one of those sporty aquatic men's colognes. It's more like you sniff it and think it smells somehow familiar and nice and fresh.

An imp gifted from the lab.

You know, at first I didn't like this one. Non-descriptive cents such as "clean laundry" or "crisp spring air" do not tell me what a scent is composed of nor what it's meant to smell like. Just nice images. "Milk cresting on an ocean wave."... so when I read this instead of an ingredient list, my logical head goes... what is that? Most of the time, it makes me assume some strange list of unknown chemicals had to be used to get this exact smell. That's when I usually shy away from these types.

Perhaps it was this preconditioning that really made me misjudge this one.

Boredly sniffing through my imps again, I came across it. I like this one. This is one of those genuinely good crisp and clean scents. It's unique and pleasant to boot, especially if you're into the lighter, airy scents.

Wet: The oddest mix of "clean" and this softness it falls back onto. I would not call this succulent milky, if you are hoping for that. It's more like that softness keeps it from being outright "crisp" and "sharp". There's a nice milky tone to this scent you do not get in many "aquatic" type scents. Speaking of aquatic, I smell no saltiness in this one. It's not like a "salty ocean", if you are hoping on that.

Dried: It's still very pretty and the good notes, "clean" and "milky" are still so prominent that anything else I don't like is so irrelevant. So distant, I can hardly pick it up at all.

A bit later: "Oddly milky" as best as I can describe it. Almost flowery, but not quite... just a very pleasant fade and it's thankfully staying on my skin very well. I am really happy to see that.

It's a very good scent and I do recommend it. Would I get a bottle? My frivolous, quirky loving side who likes uniqueness says yes, maybe someday. I'm hoping to find more scents like this from BPAL and get those as well.

Edited by Lucius

I've had this imp since December, but I've been out of testing mode and just sticking to favourites lately. Now that it's spring and my 1 year BPALiversary's coming up, I felt the old adventurous spirit rekindling, so I pulled this one out and gave it a whirl.

And immediately added a bottle to my next order.

Wow.

I tend to stay away from aquatics, because they have the unfortunate tendency to turn to rancid grape Kool-Aid on me and amp like Megadeth. It's been my one big BPAL disappointment, because I love the descriptions of all the aquatics, but ever since Cthulhu in my very first order, they've been total fail on my skin. Until now! This one seems to be the exception.

In the first few moments, it seems to start the usual routine of grapey fail, but then the milk does a bit of magic and all of a sudden it's this creamy, fresh, completely unintrusive scent. I'm usually a bit paranoid about wearing scents to the office, but after testing this one last night, I went right ahead and slathered it on this morning without fear of overwhelming anyone, and it's been perfect all day.

I've finally found an understated scent for work! Yay!

A slightly sweet, soft aquatic. Nice but nothing I would wear often. Once it dries down, a little bit of cucumber starts to come out. My skin eats this up quickly and is mostly gone in a few hours.