Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Rose

The promise of a rose: red rose petals, fresh sap, and the sharp green scent of stem and leaf.

Just like a fresh, dewy red rose. Lush and sweet. This is not a sexy rose, it is kind of innocent, not sharp at all and is probably the most true scent of a red rose Ive found yet in bpal. That being said, while I love smelling roses, I dont like smelling like them. Id definitely recommend this to rose lovers, though!

The Lab has been sending me rose frimps in my last few orders. Subliminal suggestion, perhaps?

This is almost single-note, pure red rose on me, with just a little touch of green at the back after it dries. Throw is really strong, but that tends to happen to me with rose scents. I like it okay, and will probably wear it for, say, job interviews or teaching or department meetings or things of that nature, but probably don't need more than the imp--though I love the fairy tale.

Smells EXACTLY like a real rose. I'm a big fan of anything rosey and given how much I adore the fairy tale this one is inspired by, I love this x 9001. It's definitely an innocent/"young" rose, in the same way Persephone is, in my mind anyway. It doesn't seem like it has a heck of a lot of throw, but it's staying power is pretty good. I may get a bottle of this!

We have a rose bush outside our kitchen window, and The Rose smells exactly like that. Pure, unadulterated, fresh roses. Perhaps a bit sun-warmed, with a little lingering dew. But, overall, it's a lush, velvety red rose, leaves and all. :wub2:

ETA: Also, can I just say that I'm beyond thrilled that this works on me? Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale.

Edited by plainjean

Beautiful soft roses. Not sharp, nothing too green, lovely whisper-soft petals. Very, very pretty.

I am not a rose gal at all, but this is lovely. I'm so picky about rose scents that only a couple have worked for me -- Peacock Queen and Moon Rose were both rose-note favorites of mine. This one is right up there with those.

imp: whoa, this smells exactly like rose red.

wet: and just like rose red on my skin! this is one of the rare rose blends that does not turn soapy on my skin, it's a pure rose scent. beautiful.

dry: gorgeous, perfect rose.

The Rose

On: The fresh, red rose from Rose Red. Very pretty and green. Lovely.

1 hour in: Slightly powdery now, but mostly a fresh, green rose scent.

3 hours in: Fresh, but powdery roses. Still very green and nice. Like a drier version of Rose Red.

26 hours in: Soft, powdery rose. No soapiness at all.

Overall: Sigh, I love these sorts of fresh, non-soapy rose scents. If I didn't already have Rose Red, I'd probably grab a bottle of this.

In The Imp: What it says in the description - it's really kind of amazing, they captured the exact smell of a bouquet of roses in a vial.

Immediate Application: Same - I ordered this along with a few others because I was craving roses and wanted to find a good scent to satisfy that. This may very well be it.

30-45 Minutes Later: The ZOMG YAY ROSE BOUQUET fades somewhat - quiets down to a warmer, sweeter rose scent. Still fresh, but not as chilly-dewy-straight-from-the-florist fresh.

Verdict: On the 5ml bottle wish list, and not just because it's associated with a favorite Disney movie fairy tale. :D

Edited by lavenderfrost

First Sniff: The fresh cut smell of a young rose being washed in cold water before being put in a vase.

Wet: Greenness with a single rose note coming through.

Dry: This is not a bouquet of roses but is simply ‘the rose’; a single, long-stemmed red rose perfected by nature. The prize of any beast's collection.

My Reaction: This is exactly what my husband was hoping for: feminine and flowery but not overpowering or sickly sweet. It’s exactly what I was hoping for in a rose scent too. Just rose: simple, elegant and beautiful. The green really adds to that fresh cut imagery too.

Rating 1-5: 5

The smell in the imp is that of a real rose with fresh-cut stem. This is so much more realistic than Rose Red, which was ice-pick in the brain intense. I don't even want to skin test it for fear that I will amp it and get a headache. It would make a lovely room scent.

In the imp: Clear, colorless oil. Ah yes, the very vivid and authentic scent of a just-picked rose. Just what I've been looking for!

On me, wet: Same as above, with a little greenery. So real I can almost see the full-blown blossom on its stem.

On me, just dried: Yes, there is a bit of green sharpness that makes this rose smell impeccably fresh. Absolutely gorgeous.

After 1 1/2 hours: The sharp/green/fresh notes have evaporated, but there is still a beautiful classic rose scent on my skin.

Verdict: This isn't your grandmother's rose perfume: it's brighter, fresher. (Although you may need to reapply it from time to time or wear it in a scent locket to keep the fresh green note going strong.) And it's a very realistic rose scent. I've already ordered a bottle!

My rating: 5+

In the imp- Fresh cut rose, a bit overpowering.

Wet- Mellows out on the skin. Fresh rose petals, green and rosy.

Dry- Same as wet, but a little powdery.

This is a review of an aged bottle.

In the bottle: Roses! A touch on the sweet side, but also a bit of green underneath.

On skin, wet: Same as in the bottle.

On skin, dry: Less green, less sweet, the rose petals have taken over. This is exactly like sticking my nose into the blossom of a rose from the backyard.

After an hour: Stays fairly true to the initial drydown. It doesn't go powdery or turn into old-lady-rose-perfume, it stays like a fresh rose.

Edited by lohengrin

As everyone else has said, this is exactly the scent of a fresh rose. Additionally, I am thrilled that some people have said it's a rose red duplicate as I've wanted to try rose red for some while & never had the chance. All in all, a gorgeous find!

"One night an old beggar woman came to the castle offering a single Rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift, and turned the old woman away. She warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for Beauty is Found Within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart...as punishment she transformed him into a hideous Beast and put a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there." :wub2:

This scent is truly a gift for someone like me who has always been obsessed by that magical Rose in the movie...a glowing pink aura, unearthly beautiful floating there under the bell jar, falling petals marking the passage of time... The kid in me rejoices! I've always wanted that Rose and now I have it! :wub2: Man hunters wearing this should always keep the tale's central message foremost in their minds.

"If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken! If not, he would be doomed to remain a Beast for all time."

Origin: Frimp in an order from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I discovered early on that most BPAL rose notes tend to pull this icky green-stem trick on my skin that turns the scent into cooked collard greens, which is not a pleasant association for me in any context. But the frimp is here and I will play fair.

In the Vial: Light, fresh, dewy rose. Perhaps a touch lighter and more innocent than the few other rose notes I've tried. It's got a lot of green in there. I fear.

Wet: And after a tantalizing breath of pure rose, the skanky stank begins. sigh

Drydown: Hmm...is it possible? I may be imagining it but it seems that the green-stem note is fading and letting the rose out. It's still sharper than I would prefer, but compared to some of my experiences it is possibly quite wearable.

Verdict: This warrants further experimentation, but if I've finally found a strong rose note that plays nicely with me in the BPAL arsenal, I will be a very, very happy girl.

Very similar to Rose Red, with a bit less of the wet/fresh and a bit more sharp/sap. If you have been looking for a GC substitute for Rose Red, The Rose is an excellent choice.

Sometimes I get so caught up with BPAL LEs that I forget about the GC beauties that I have. The Rose is one of those beauties. This is a red, red rose—just one, perfect, unspotted red rose. It smells sun-warmed and at the peak of its flowering. It's very similar to the rose in Rose Red, but The Rose is a summer rose while Rose Red is a winter rose.

Beauty & The Beast is one of my favorite fairytales—my parents used to read me a children's version of the tale by Marissa Mayer and Mercer Mayer that had the most exquisite illustrations, and I was hooked. Many of the pages were studded with ne'er dimming red roses: entwined in the margins, spilling over in a vase, woven through a hedge. The Rose does justice to those storied roses, and that's saying a lot.

In the imp: BIG red roses in midsummer! Super-fresh - either still on the bush, or a whole bunch of them freshly cut! There's something slightly apple-y in the background too.

Wet on skin: Not quite as stunning as in the imp, it's now more like I'm lying under the bush, rather than shoving my nose in the roses, but still! My skin has a tendency to eat most rose-notes, so this is the closest thing I've found to smelling like fresh rose on my skin!

Dry on skin: Nose in the roses again! There's sap & stem & leaf here too, but this is mostly FRESH RED ROSE! ON MY SKIN!This is some kind of miracle! I almost want to describe this rose as "juicy", haha!

After a few hours: A teeeensy bit of sap, stem & leaf, with the memory of red roses. Pretty much all gone.

Verdict: This one fades on me SO FAST, but man do I ever love it fresh! If I want to wear this, I need to take the imp with me for touch-ups, but... worth it!

This rose smells exactly like the rose used in Peacock Queen, one of my favorite BPALs. On its own, it is a beautiful note, but overwhelming and cloying.

This is a 5-year aged bottle purchased in May 2010. I'm kind of surprised I hadn't reviewed "The Rose" yet, but it was also my first rose BPAL and I didn't have much to compare it against at first. I was just like "yay! Rose!" which didn't seem like a very helpful review because, well, duh.

In the bottle: an almost "watery" smelling rose

On my skin, it's much the same -- a fresh, dewy rose still on the bush. This is similar to Rose Red, but I find Rose Red has even more of a "green leaves/stem" note than The Rose, which is more the flower itself.

In the bottle: super lovely fresh rose smell, a little bit overpowering.

Wet on skin: similar to the smell in the bottle. Very strong rose scent with the smell of leaves coming through at the end of a whiff.

Dry on skin: Pretty much the perfect rose scent. Light, with just the right amount of freshness to balance out the rose. The strength of the scent fades away fast but a soft smell lingers on my skin for quite some time.

Overall, it's an absolutely lovely rose scent and one of my favorites. It makes me smell exactly like a fresh rose in full bloom and I love it.

This is a generous frimp from a forumite, straight off my wishlist!

I love roses. I am slowly doing my best to try every rose-dominant blend BPAL has to offer. Which is a lot.

This is one is a very fresh, very red rose, with lots of greenery as well. Different than the sweeter white rose scents I often gravitate towards. No hint of going powdery or soapy thus far. Really lovely. I can't stop huffing my arm.

This stays true fresh rose. Beautiful. May need a bottle.

in the imp: exactly what it says on the tin, a blooming red rose with the scent of green stem still on it – reminds me a ton of Rose Red

wet: deepens to something really reminiscent of Peacock Queen '05, but lighter and a bit more innocent – I remember Peacock Queen being almost overwhelmingly heady and having a bit of a plastic undernote; The Rose is a lemony rose splattered with morning dew

dry: this scent stays very true, maybe sweetening up a little bit as it dries. I'm not getting any old-lady-powderiness, which is usually a problem for me with rose scents. I can see myself using The Rose a ton in early spring, and it would be a great choice for fans of Peacock Queen or those who want a pure rose scent!