Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

The Rose

The promise of a rose: red rose petals, fresh sap, and the sharp green scent of stem and leaf.

1247132892_TjuPg-Ti.jpg

this is the true picture of a rose: not the full, lush red rose of passion, but more the deep pink rose of a young woman on the brink of love. The green, the thorns, the petals: all are present in this blend, and very pleasantly so. This rose blend is lovely, I am enjoying it, and its throw is quite good, but the staying power is sadly lacking. Less than an hour after application it is gone, leaving only the smallest whisp of rose memory behind.

I think an imp will be enough, because I have such a LOT of rose blends which I also love and which have more staying power.

Edited by stellans

This is ROSE ROSE ROSE. I don't really get anything green or sappy here, just rooooooooooose. I don't dislike it, but don't think it warrants a bottle; for some reason, anything this strongly rose reminds me of rose-flavored Turkish delight, and that in turn reminds me of what a grandma would smell like.

It's definitely a pure rose scent, but not for me. Lovely, though!

On me, this is nearly indistinguishable from Rose Red (which is excellent, because that is in my top three must-have-at-all-times scents and The Rose is GC!).

I don't get the aging weed/beer scent that the green in Two, Five and Seven gives me, but this is just the *slightest* bit more green than Rose Red. Like, one extra stem, or something.

eta: So I've discovered the difference between Rose Red and The Rose: Rose Red lasts and lasts on my skin, while The Rose is gone after about 20 minutes. *sigh*

Edited by Leopard403

This may as well be a CG version of Rose Red or the Peacock Queen. It's not quite as deep as either of those, but it's very close. It's a beautiful rose scent which doesn't become artificial or powdery on my skin - as florals will often do. I really do love this blend, but as I already have bottles of the two previously mentioned LEs.. no bottle for me. (Yet, anyway!)

The Rose is Rose Red's younger sister. To echo what others have said, it's less cold than Rose Red, and it does go a bit appley, much to my delight. This is a rose scent I can wear!

I am in a rotten mood today. The only thing keeping me from turning into the Tasmanian Devil is the fact that I have The Rose on today. It is the true scent of a red rose, just cut from a bush. It is fresh and beautiful. It is keeping me from reaching for things that could be used as weapons.

The Rose= Good.

I love this. It starts out as Rose Red, morphs into London, then finishes off as Two, Five, and Seven. Since I'm a rosaholic I dig having three beautiful rose perfumes in one.

This is the most realistic rose scent I think I have ever smelled, that isn't a rose. It is more than just rose though because it has the sharp green scent of the stems and leaves.

In the vial, I think The Rose is absolute amazing, I can just imagine this huge, red velvety rose growing in my grandmother's garden... Unfortunately, when I apply it, it immediately loses the rose, and turns into a weird sharp soapy sap scent. I can't like this one, it really doesn't wear well on me.

This is like sticking your nose in the biggest bouquet of fresh red roses. Unbelievable. Even more unbelievable is the fact that I am not amping or turning this to ammonia. It actually smells exactly like roses, and it's staying that way!!! Granted, I'm not one for flowers, but this is exciting. I really really like this, and it does have a tad bit of greenery.

Imp: Sweet, borderline sickeningly so, rose.

Wet: Goes a bit sour but rounds out again to full rosiness. Only one problem--this reminds of the solid air freshener (remember those? They had like a solid wax base or something and you'd twist the cover up as the base started to harden? Ah... the 80s) my grandmother had in her bathroom.

Dry: It totally reminds me of that freshener but it's nice in a nostalgic sort of way. Not sexy in the least but comforting. Strange rose scent. Not really behaving on the skin but decent. Would like a bit more greenery, maybe?

Throw: Strong.

Overall: Pretty but I think I'll stick with the imp. If not because I know that the second someone asks me what I'm wearing I'll be like, "It's called The Rose. I like it because it smells like my grandmother's bathroom" and that's really not something that you want to say to anyone. Ever.

Oh, this is so pretty! It smells like a fully-opened pink rose at the peek of its bloom. As it dries, I get a little greenery, but the dominant scent is a sweet, almost fruity rose. It does remind me of Rose Red, but softer and less greenery. Its not my favourite rose scent, but I do love it and should think about getting myself a bottle. :D

The Rose - When my husband sends me flowers at work and they arrive in a big cardboard box, this is exactly what I smell when I open up the box -- fresh, damp, red roses, and fresh-cut green stems. It's hands-down a perfect substitute for the 2005 version of Rose Red. This is a truly gorgeous scent, and one of the truest red rose perfumes I've ever encountered.

In imp: This is a very full rose with a hint of green sharpness from the "stems and leaves" component.

On skin: My skin amps the greenness exponentially. It's REALLY strong, and turning bitter and acrid. Dang it! The rose is still here, but it definitely takes the back seat; it's unfortunately not enough to save this scent.

Final opinion: It's a pity this didn't work out - I can see how this would smell great on some people. Even though Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and I really wanted this to work, I still like London better. :(

In the bottle: Fresh rose!

Wet on skin: Rose, rose rose. It's like a bouquet of freshly cut red roses in a vase.

Drydown (3 minutes): Faded slightly, but still ROSE.

Drydown (5 minutes): ROSE, but less fresh. The greenery smells in the background pretty much fade completely.

Overall impression: I really like this scent for its simplicity, and rose really works on me, but it fades really quickly, and has a low throw. I can see how people get "old lady perfume" from this, but I tend to like the old-fashioned scents, haha. This might be one of the scents I start putting in my oil burner.

In the imp: Squished rose petals.

Wet: Oh! Squished rose petals and broken stems.

Dry: The rose is un-crushing! This is smelling like a few loose petals and leaves, uncrushed.

A while later: Very rosey... but very soft and gentle. This makes me think of a luxurious bouquet of red roses. Hmmmmm.... What I find amazing about this scent is that it smells like picking a rose out of a bunch and crushing the petals and leaves... but in reverse - going from broken to whole. AMAZING.

In the imp, this smells like rose petals and stems. On my skin, it's very similar to Peacock Queen; velvety rose petals, along with a greener hint that wasn't in the other blend. Also, fades quickly; gone in a half hour. Don't really need this.

Edited by Venneh

Wet, The Rose smells similar to Rose Red, as others have said, but it's actually even better as a GC ringer for Madeline from Dark Delicacies: fresh rose with a lot of greenery, and something a little sharp underneath as it dries. However, it vanished before I even finished my commute to work--less than half an hour! So, "the promise of a rose" is more like the mirage of a rose! I have a vast collection of rose scents (gotta catch 'em all) and this doesn't compare with my favorites, Peacock Queen and Two, Five, Seven, for throw and staying power. I will use up my imp but not get a bottle.

In bottle: Pretty much as advertised. Tea rose with a hint of green leaves. I’m not skin testing as my skin does horrible things to roses, but if you like rose, you’ll likely love this.

:::THE ROSE:::

As promised, this fragrance is the real deal!

This is Rose, pure and simple.

This is not just the nosegay that is the opened flower and Her rich petals, this is, as described sap, leaf, stem, petal, nectar and soul.

Being born on this Flower's month may put a heavy lean on bias, but there is absolutely no getting around the fact that this is a vibrant and gorgeous fragrance.

This isn't grandma's candied, kinda-sorta spray on rose.

This isn't even (quite) the note that the Lab uses to sexify other blends.

THIS is walking into the wharehouse sized showroom of an international competition of multigenerational cultivars bringing the best of the best.

This is the laying waste to the Hallmark flotsam.

Gorgeous!

Likely for Her.

Easy 5 out of 5.

In the imp: Wow. There’s a real rose in here, isn’t there? How can it hide in the clear oil?

Wet: A rose garden in full bloom. Real roses everywhere.

Drydown: Staying strong and true.

Later: This is just fantastic. It smells so REAL! I love it, and will most likely get a bottle at some point. :wub2:

Frimp: Oh hai rose. Where are your stemmy, sappy friends? All I smell is you. Very sweet and true rose, the truest rose scent I've ever smelled.

On, wet: Mmm, the same! Still no sap or stems, this is gorgeous, sweet rose. I can see where people get "appley" from. IMO, real roses have a sweet, fruity scent to them when they're fresh.

Dry: Stems and greenery make an appearance and the rose sharpens a bit. This is now greenery/stems and rose. Already this is fading quite a bit and it's only been like 10 minutes. Staying power is indeed lacking on this one, as most people seem to agree.

Verdict: You have to be in the right mood for this one, and it's not something I'd necessarily reach for a lot. My frimp is enough, and I'll be keeping it and enjoying it.

Luscious pink roses!

I woke up with a craving for a beautiful rose perfume today, so I had a good look through my imp bag and pulled this one out first. Wow, is it ever beautiful. I love the soft femininity of rose perfumes and this one is no exception. Fragile, pure and comforting. A very beautiful scent.

Fresh roses! Delightful!

Sometimes rose notes go lemony or sharp on my skin, but this one stays true.

The green notes are a pleasant addition. They add to the impression of smelling real roses, rather than smelling a rose oil.

Lovely!