Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Delirium1009

The Little Sparrow

Seeds, sedge, brown amber, and sandalwood.

Wet, this is a kind of green, perfumey scent. Maybe the combination of sedge and sandalwood? As it dried, I could swear there is powdery rose here or definitely powdery 'something'. Not for me, but I'm sure someone else will enjoy it!

In the imp: Sharp, a little bit soapy with undertones of sandalwood and kibbled cereal

Drying on my skin: The sharpness fades and the sandalwood turns sweet on my skin. I still get herbal soap and kibbled cereal. Somehow powdery but still strong.

Throw and staying power: Medium-strong, 8 hours

Colour impression: powedery browns and greens

Verdict: Reminds me a lot of luxury health stores with it's soaps, cereals, woods and herbs. I always loved the smell in those shops! :)

Interesting!

This is a lot drier and greener than I was expecting. I don't know what "brown amber" is, but to me this smells like musk and dried grass. It has a bitter and astrigent quality to it which makes this a less "comfortable" kind of musk and more of a soapy kind of musk.

:::THE LITTLE SPARROW:::

The Little Sparrow was a spontaneous purchase when introductions were made at the Bat's Day Black Market this year.

Head over heels for The Little Sparrow from the very first sniff!Sedge isn't something familiar at all until the wonderful world of BPAL, so this would be the first association.

From the Bottle: There is a sweetness to this that is wholly remarkable! It is very much like a Balsam note; but probably closer to Hay Absolute... Which makes this worthy of comparison to Hay Moon...

The Seeds can almost be felt between the teeth! There is very slight, "Feed Store" dustiness here that kind of ties the whole thing in to the Hay-type note.There is a super-slight bitterness in The Little Sparrow that has the dark green pungency associated with cracked shells... Anyone who favors unsalted Sunflower seeds or Pumpkin Seeds should recognise this almost immediately.

The Brown Amber is good enough for glut and guilt! It is very much like tanned summer skin just waiting to be kissed.

The Little Sparrow is sweet enough that the Sandalwood almost takes on characteristics of Rosewood; purply brown luxuriance!

Skindecency!: There is a hint at soap here, but not enough to threaten the quality of the blend.This is not to say that the soapiness has any of the drying, alumn type characteristics, on the contrary; This soapiness has the feel more of well scrubbed skin that gows with health. Bathing in outdoor streams, whatnot...

Amber and Sedge (?) are still the most dominant.

The Little Sparrow has a very innocent and pastoral feel to it.

The Little Sparrow is delightfully unisex.

On Her, this is curvy, intriguing, beguiling, and frighteningly optimistic.

On Him, The Little Sparrow is brawny, rustic, robust and mischievous.

Exquisite!

5.5 of 5

It went soapy on me, too. I was so disappointed. I LOVE the smell of bird seed and from the description, this is what I expected - that sweet, seedy freshness. Instead I got something kind of perfumey or soapy. I loved the name and wished this would have worked for me. I was sad...

Edited by tdiym

I was initially intrigued by this scent because of the first review, which said it was "nutty". Of course that one and most of the others also said that it turned to powder, but I'd never tried a nutty scent and thought The Little Sparrow was as good a place as any to start. Also, I am very fond of the Simon and Garfunkel song.

Wet: I'm getting lemon soap. LEMON DISH SOAP. How that comes out of seeds, sedges, amber, and sandalwood, I have no idea, but I think I'm going to blame the sedge, as it is the only thing remotely like...plants. Lemons. All right, it's a bit of a stretch.

Dry: It smells like the little pastille candies that I used to love. They were flavored like jasmine or rose, and had a little fennel seed in the middle, and came in flat metal boxes with picturesque 18th-century ladies being courted by picturesque gentlemen in silly hats. That's what it smells like. Hard, smooth, sugar with just a touch of flowers.

Oh, and powder.

Later: Now it's vacillating between powdery candy and bright lemon soap. Most unfortunate really, because I like the powder and hate the soap. Keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it'll settle down again.

The Little Sparrow

OH NO. This immediately made me queasy. It smelled like a bird cage in need of a good cleaning. Also wood. Lots and LOTS of harsh-smelling wood. However, when I covered it up with Dragon's Blood, it was quite nice!

In the Imp: interesting… brown, woody

Wet on Skin: Amber and sandalwood are definitely there, but there is something else edging in - maybe the sedge? It smells green and vegetative.

While Drying: an orgy of smells all battling for dominance

After a Little While: Something is a bit off, here. I also smell amber and something floral-like.

Later: Uninspiring. I am left with a vague hint of amber and sandalwood, but there are better versions of both out there in BPALland.

The Little Sparrow earns a 2.5/5 on my skin.

imp: pungent herbs over amber.

wet: this is very strong wood. not old, soft woods, very strong green wood with an astonishing throw. i can barely smell the amber and sandalwood

dry: still very strong, long after it has dried. i'm not terribly fond of this scent on my skin as strong as it is but i could see using it as a room scent.

This turns out warm and grainy/woody with a slightly sweet/musky drydown from the amber, but then again most drydowns end up somewhat musky on my skin. Not really for me, but for anyone who liked Traipsing Through the Crop Circles, I definitely recommend this one.

The Little Sparrow

On: Wow. This is really interesting. I think I'm getting lots of sedge with a bit of sweet brown amber. It has a bit of a soapy edge to it on me, but there's a greenness, too.

1 hour in: Green and a bit dry. Very brown in a dried tallgrass sort of way, if that makes sense. Nice.

2.5 hours in: Mostly, this smells like dry grass. I really like it.

5.5 hours in: A soft, dry grass scent. There's a tiny hint of sweetness in the background.

Overall: This is really, really nice. When first on my skin, it doesn't smell like anything else I've ever tried. Definitely unique and appealing.

In vial: Clean, grassy.

Wet: Soft, plushy, feathery amber. I want to snuggle with it.

Dry: The sandalwood adds a bit of a sturdy base, but this is very much an airy, velvet dust sort of blend.

Verdict: Simply, sweet as a little sparrow! Borderline soapy at moments. This is something I would let my little daughter dab on. Very pure and gentle.

Aww, this was discontinued? That's too bad. :(

It's one of the BPALs that would be entirely suitable for a child. It smells clean and fresh, but the amber and sandalwood make it smell just grown-up enough that a 10-year-old girl would feel soooooo grown-up if she were wearing this.

I like it. It's unusual and not offensive at all.

Sniffed: Dry, golden amber and pale sandalwood. Light, dry and golden.

On skin: Amber is the dominant note: golden, light and slightly dusty amber. Perhaps the sandalwood and hay/seeds are contributing some dryness and paleness, but this is really an amber showcase. Over time the amber deepens and becomes more full-bodied and fragrant, perhaps through blending with the other notes (I recognize sandalwood but not the others). Colour impression is the pale gold-brown of hay or wheat.

Verdict: The Little Sparrow doesn't claim to be much more than a simple blend, but it does simple very well. I enjoyed how it showcases the beauty of amber and sandalwood, but I generally prefer more complex blends, so I don't see myself wearing this often.

Discontinued?

Dammit!

Why do I keep completely loving LEs and discontinued ones?

*sigh*

Well anyway...

I love this. It's exactly the simple unisex kind of thing I get along well with. Sandalwood, amber and some kind of dry something that's "seeds and sedges," and that's it. There's nothing not to love. As always, the brighter notes fade into something more mellow, which is the sandalwood and amber, which means it's a long lasting scent that doesn't change much over time once it's stabilized itself.

...And it's discontinued. *headdesk*

The Little Sparrow has a kind of yellowy-green vibe on me.  For the first couple of hours, it's perfumey, treading very close to soapy, with an almost lemony brightness.  I wouldn't say this is nutty on me; rather, I get something like the hay note with some light sandalwood.  I'm not perceiving any amber at first, though amber does always feel perfumey on me (in a good way).  But the late drydown is entirely a warm golden amber.  A sunshiny scent, perfect for August but also nice to brighten a December day. 

The Little Sparrow is a green and brown scent. The sedge dominates at first, backed by a brown musk-infused amber, but it ends up being a fuzzy brown musk and amber scent after a while.

It was nice to be able to test this one, but there are other cozy, musky ambers that I'm far more likely to reach for.