Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
brettashley

The Gaoler's Daughter

Gardenia, neroli, and white peach with vanilla amber, cream, and honey.

This is like Katrina Van Tassel with peach instead of rose. Very pretty - too pretty for me, in fact; I think I am gonna swap this one.

edited to add lab description Edited by Shollin
Edited down to just the description, not the quote. --Shollin

Sweet, honeyed peaches! The gardenia here is so well-behaved, thank goodness--I can tell it's there but it's not turning into the Gardenia of Doom. The neroli note is strong and I think without it, this blend would be far too sweet, but with it, it's a feminine fruity-floral with tons of throw. This and Belle Vinu are a great pair of peach scents.

the honey and peaches makes me think of juice... I was expecting it to smell like Kashmira soap for SRTC, but it's just a nice juicy scent. Hm. Not sure it's my thing, but it is very perfumey in a non-traditional way and smells very fresh.

In the bottle: Oh, lovely! I hope this works. Peach first, but I can smell most of the notes listed. Overall it's a fruity sweet floral.

Wet: Amber floral. The gardenia is not overwhelming the neroli, which I was afraid it would do. But the white peach isn't as intense as I'd hoped, being one of my very favorite BPAL notes. Still, this has a lot of potential.

Half an hour: Pretty much as advertised. I get gardenia, peach, neroli, honey, and amber in that order. It's wearable, a little sharper than I'd like, but maybe it just needs more time to balance.

One hour: Honey and neroli first, then gardenia-peach. It's very sweet, but something (cream?) keeps it from being piercingly so. And the honey hasn't gone to powder. But I was hoping for a more peachy gardenia effect.

Two hours: Still more honey-neroli than gardenia-peach. Very sweet and pleasant, with a rich creamy undertone.

Three hours: Honey-neroli, but it's gone a bit flat and bitter. I think the gardenia has wilted. Alas.

Four hours: Honey and amber, mostly, but darkened by overripe flowers.

Ah well, can't have everything. I'll trade this to someone who'll love it.

in vial: green, fresh, a bit perfumey

wet: sooo green, kind of strong, must be the gardenia

dry: not as strong and green but definately floral

Preconceptions: I was hoping for something like the L'Estate bath oil with this one, because of the peach, amber, and florals.

In the decant: Something sharp and white that hits me in that place in the back of my throat that makes me a little nauseous! Yikes! But, forging onward...

On: Whatever that odd note is thankfully starts to fade immediately once it's applied. I can still catch it easily, particularly if I sniff too close to my hand, but I can also smell the peach coming out a little.

Drydown: The odd note continues to fade, becoming sort of an aftertaste before finally disappearing...

15 min later: Mm, this is quite beautiful! The top note is a soft, juicy peach - very similar to the peach note in the L'Estate bath oil. It's underscored by clean white florals (I think I'm smelling mainly gardenia here), making this light and fresh. The amber, honey, and cream are just barely there, sweetening and warming this blend into a pretty skin-scent. The honeyed cream is behaving far better here than it did in Katrina van Tassel (where it went a little off).

Overall: While I'd put this in the same category as the L'Estate bath oil, they are definitely different scents. Whereas L'Estate was sticky and golden, Gaoler's Daughter is clean and white. It reminds me of a young, beautiful woman in a crisp white dress, eating a bowl of fresh peaches with cream and honey on the back porch. However, getting through the initial drydown is tricky, and I definitely wouldn't wear this in a scent locket. I think I'll need to test this a few more times to see if it is a keeper.

Color association: Cream

Ooo this is not nice on me. I'm getting Peach Air Freshener! Like a peach-scented plug-in. I get a slightly spicy aquatic white floral spiked with peach. I don't how this doesn't work--maybe it's the honey? I wish I could detect the cream and amber. Maybe it's the fresh citrus kick of neroli that registering as "aquatic" with me? But I normally love neroli! :P

Wet: Lovely, lovely peach!

Dry: Gardenia, Gardenia, Gardenia with a megaphone

After two hours: Department store Gardenia (when a fragrance smells obviously like a perfume and less like fragrance oils)

Off to the swap pile with you!

I always try gardenia against my better judgement. I am getting fresh white flowers with a neroli base. I love neroli, but I was really hoping for more of the other notes to come out and play (they don't make an appearance on my skin). Oh well.

Imp: Ooooh, lovely. Sweet, perfectly blended mix of foody (kinda a buttery vanilla), fruity (mmm, peachy) and floral notes. Really fresh and pretty.

Wet: juicy ripe peach flesh, all drippy, plus something almost green smelling, like floral stems. This is all supported by a light buttery ‘nilla.

Drying: Initially, the floral strengthens over the other notes. After about 30 min, this becomes a really smooth, rich, deep round peach floral scent, sweetened and deepened by a touch of honey. It reminds me of aged tamora, but its more floral, not quite as “bakey”.

Overall: I enjoy this--its sweet and light and pretty with some succulent peach notes. But it shares a lot of similar notes and scent with Tamora, and I prefer Tamora just a wee bit (its less floral, more rich vanilla).

Edited by jewelbug

This smells of white florals, something green....and peach. But the peach is stomped into submission by the florals...I was hoping that this would work....but alas.....this is off to the swaps pile!

the peach was the one drawback to this scent, but since i had good luck with nectarine lately and liked most of the other notes, i figured i'd try this. starting off the peach and florals are most prominent on my skin, as it dries down, the ambery-cream comes out more and merges with the peach, making for a peach-cream scent. very very pretty! i don't know what it is with me liking fruity scents lately...

Decant: peach, neroli, some honey

Wet on Me: the neroli and gardenia are blending and I can pick out a bit of the peach.

The honey adds a whisper of sweetness

Drying Down: okay the flowers are receding a bit to mellow with the cream and honey.

Dry: just the powdery amber and the honey. It’s nice…but not something I would need to bottle hoard.

So far, this has been the biggest testing surprise of the Yule oils that I've tested. After I decanted it, it was driving me insane because it just smelled SOOOO good. Since I think every BPAL oil with a note of 'cream' has turned evil on my skin, I was scared of what it would do.

I shouldn't have been worried. Except that I definitely need a bottle of this, which might make the credit card sad.

You know what creamsicles smell like? This is that, only with peaches and the addition of honey and neroli and a little hint of gardenia. Entirely too good, without being overwhelmingly foody. Sweet and floral and fruit and yum.

This is a low-rent version of Cupid Complaining to Venus on me. It smells fabulous in the bottle (honey love with peach-gardenia spritzer), but it's kinda weak once it's on. Limp. Thin. Dies young. Lady of the Gardenias (instead of camellias?)...

Edited by tarotgirl

In the imp: Peach

Wet on skin: Starts out peach, then morphs into the Soapy Gardenia Monster

Drydown: The Soapy Gardenia Monster kills the peach and vanilla cream notes and eats them. She then takes a nap and the honey furtively peeks out from under the rock where it has been hiding. In the end, I'm left with a pleasant-enough single note honey.

Hmmmm. Let's see how it ages.

In the Imp

I can smell the peach, vanilla and honey. There's also something a bit tart in the background.

On My Skin

The gardenia has come out to play! This has a green undertone to it, like freshly cut stems. There's still a bitter or tart note that's lurking in the background, I'm not sure what it is - maybe my wonky skin chemistry.

After a Bit

The tart note has disappeared and now I'm smelling mainly peach, honey and vanilla. This blend is very feminine and light.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 3.8 Throw - 2.8 Longevity - 3

Overall (not an average) - 3.2

Final Thoughts

This is a scent that could go either way for me. I like it, but is it bottle worthy?

Goodness gracious, I smell like edible flowers. In the imp, The Gaoler's Daughter is sort of a fruity rose. Peachy. A peachy rose. I know there's no rose in it, but that's what I think of.

On me, the peach stays in the front, with some honey mixing in. Luckily the cream and amber behave -- those are two notes that are usually death for Lab blends. I can smell the gardenia, but it's not laundry sheets, just a nice floral backdrop for the peaches and honey. The gardenia does get stronger as it dries, though.

Oh dear. Yes, the gardenia takes over after a while. I could cry, this smelled so good fresh.

Okay, finally a gardenia that doesn't smell like wet wool. So, it's a nice juicy floral with huge honey and roses overtones.

Still not a win on me, but at least it doesn't smell like wet wool.

It does smell like a nice girl.

Maybe I'm not a nice girl afterall.

In the bottle: Colourless oil. Quite sweet, fruity, and floral. The warm and creamy notes hit secondarily, held in check by a spike of neroli. I can smell every note clearly, and it reminds me a bit of Eisheth.

Wet: A bit less sweet, and significantly more floral, almost soapy (gahhhh neroli!). The vanilla is the natural, not cloying sickly sweet sort. The cream note is very light.

Dry: The cream and honey have amped, which is fortunate, because I think I'd find the white peach too sweet and the neroli too soapy-sharp otherwise. The gardenia is just a tad too bright, but bearable, and the amber is warm and soft, but not powdery.

Later: Wow, reminding me a lot of L'Estate as those richer notes take the fore and the neroli fades further. The vanilla and peach are still a bit too sweet, though.

Summary: The amber dominates in the end, becoming just a touch powdery (this sort of merges with the soapy residue left by the neroli), with vanilla, cream, and honey as a rich base below. The gardenia for once softens into a bright but not piercing feminine floral and the peach is syrupy but not sickly.

It's so close to something delicious, but the eventual powder-soap from the amber and neroli make this not quite wearable for me.

In the decant: Honey and cream – smells VERY similar to Katrina Van Tassel

Wet on skin: Mmmmm… Peaches!

Dry on skin: Peaches and florals… Mostly sugary peaches. It’s super girlie and sweet! LIKE! Must have a bottle!

Peachy flowers. While the peach note is really pretty, on me the notes just all meld together into a very generic sort of sweet-fruity-floral scent. It's a bit like a girl who is very pretty and sweet and demure, but also very vapid, and easily-forgotten. I'm sure the character this is based on is *nothing* like that, but it's the personality that seems to be put forth by this blend, to me at least.

I'm afraid to test this :ack:

so, I sniffed from the botlle and I can smell hot peach tea with some flowers..

maybe I will test later this week, not sure yet

This reminds of a honeyed-up version of Kindly Moon. It's very pretty and feminine. Peaches and magnolias and a warm cozy amber honey-vanilla. The perfect scent to wear when Smut would be inappropriate. I like it a lot. I may try to track down more (and it's got me missing that bottle of Kindly Moon I sold off :( ).

Edited by Inanna9

In the imp: Sweet florals and amber

On wet: Wow...smells like Zarita, that fruit and sweet cream deliciousness.

Less wet: hmm...the amber is coming out now and making it all a little dusty. I liked it better wet

Dry: oh hi there gardenia! There you are. I can make out very distinctly the florals, the amber, the peach, the cream and the honey. It's great but not exactly...blended?

Very interesting and pleasant blend.