Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
IronMollyBlack

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues

Serpentine green herbs, glistening red currant, sparkling yellow lemon rind, green musk, lime, and snakeskin.

I'm not great at isolating some of these ingredients. What comes out to me is a crisp limey citrus that is very green. Maybe I am smelling green musk, not sure. While I did like 51, it didn't last on me. Serpents lasts much longer and I see this becoming my "green" scent which I've been searching for. This smells very unisex to me, not sweet at all. Even though it's September as I'm wearing this, I am enjoying the green. I'm glad I have a bottle to slather.

the currants mingle wonderfully with the lime and the musk keeps them together. This is my new morning scent to wake up fruity and fresh. It doesn`t stay long on my skin but I like to reapply to taste the citrus bite! delicious!

In the imp, Serpents... reminds me of strawberry limeades at Sonic. Oh, I guess that's not strawberry, it must be the currants. It's pretty much the same wet on my skin, and I really like it -- I love citrus scents, luckily. UNluckily, almost as soon as this oil dries on my skin, it vanishes. And I do mean it vanishes, there's not even a trace of it left behind. Boo.

This is a very sparkling, green, fresh citrus scent. It does not come across as herbal to me, but rather bright green and fresh citrus fruits. I get a tart edge from the current but it is mostly lemon lime with a bit of the green musk to lend an earth edge. It's pretty, but for me it's not a huge winner.

Green, sweet, tangy and juicy. This reminds me of 51 with its greenness. However, 'Serpents' is more juicy with its citrus notes. After an hour after application, I still get the green herby-citrus-ness, but there's something akin to a floral in the blend. I think it's the currant note that's reading as floral to me.

After the initial settling of the perfume, it remains stable. The throw doesn't quit either. Color me impressed!

Edited by n1k1ta

Lovely lovely lovely.

In the IMP all I can smell is the red current with lemon undertones. On me the musk is very faint and the juciness of the lemon, lime and current come through nicely.

This is a pleasant surprise mainly because it's such a soft scent. This is primarily a fruity green scent and it's not as citrusy as the notes would have you believe. Sure you can smell the citrus but the sharp tang is completely taken away by the sweetness of the berries. It's a very clear mid-green kind of scent that isn't at all astringent. I would describe it as fresh fruity. The herbs in this have the sweet fragrant character of fresh kitchen herbs although I couldn't tell you what they are. I don't smell anything in here I would equate to snakeskin, certainly nothing reminiscent of snake oil in it.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

This smells like lime lollipop and green herbs! The green herbs go ever so slightly Irish Spring on me, but that's what they usually do. The lime lollipop seems to be losing out to the herbs, and I'm not sure I could wear this all day (but hey, it would smell GREAT on my husband!).

The nastiness that The Little Sparrow became on me made me sad, so I was really hoping this one would work... and it did!

In the bottle: Sparkly, limey goodness. Mmm!

Wet: A big handful of smooshy ripe berries... the redcurrant?

Dry: Fresh fruitiness that makes me smile. I put this on just before leaving for work, and the delicious smell of it blowing around my car made me grin like an idiot on my way into the office.

Later: Now I'm getting a soft muskiness and the herbs are more evident.

Definitely have big love for this scent. It goes through lots of stages, but I like all of them just fine. Bottle plz.

Clean soapy fruit. This smells like Sun Ripened Raspberry that Bath and Body Works used to make. It is very fresh and light.

:::THE SERPENTS WITH THE GLITTERING EYES AND FORKY TONGUES:::

This fragrance is almost perversely bright and jubilant! This is the olfactory equivalent of after-imagery's green glow hazing your eyes after spending all afternoon outdoors on the first hot day that heralds the end of Spring/ beginning of Summer, following that girl in the swirling, cherry-red dress eating a lemon-lime sorbet...

At very first, SERPENTS WITH THE GLITTERING EYES AND FORKY TONGUES was alot like a fruity hard-candy lozenge with plenty of citric acid thrown in for tartness.This is a formula that is as hypnotic as it is quenching... A very refreshed tartness.

Dabbed onto the wrist, THE SERPENTS WITH GLITTERING EYES AND FORKY TONGUES loses some of it's stickier, dulcent edge and becomes... Clean. This could work as either an expensively milled soap or even a ... Mouthwash? 0_o.

There is more of a ghostly aquatic here and some almost minty or cucumberesque solution.

THE SERPENTS WITH THE GLITTERING EYES AND FORKY TONGUES is clean and otherworldly. While being unisex, this fragrance would probably work a little bit better for her...

This would work nicely with a free-flowing cotton dress and a picnic under a large tree during the blaze of summer with a ferris wheel in the background.

Eating boysenberries and icy white wine.

This is also kind of surreal or absurd... A good fragrance to huff whilst having a buzzy sort of lie-down at a slam-poetry read.

This fragrance is brilliant.

Very, very good!

5/5 for Her.

My, what an interesting scent this is!

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues starts off very fruity. I wouldn't describe it as being as "green" as some others have, but it's a very sweet and sassy sort of smell. It reminds me of fruity candy, perhaps Fruit Roll-Ups. It's actually quite delicious.

Unfortunately, after about an hour or so, it has completely transformed. Now my wrists smell exactly like fabric softener sheets. It's uncanny. At first, I didn't even realize it was the oil. I just thought my laundry was extra fresh smelling. Then I realized I don't have a drying machine and therefore, I don't use those sheets. :huh:

I may try it as a room scent for when I need some perking up. I really liked the fresh, fruity scent it started out as!

Mmm, this is bright, lightly fruity and green. It has a bit of sweetness to it. There's not a lot for me to say; I can smell all of the notes, but they are well blended so nothing is taking centre stage. The snakeskin note is definitely a question mark -- what on earth is it?

This is definitely the scent interpretation of a glittering green snake with flashing eyes.

Edited by obsidienne

This is such a pretty scent - it starts off as bright lime, juicy and tart. It's backed by some soft herbal greens which really ground it and tie together well with the musk. It's very pretty. The problem is that it lasts for all of 5 minutes on my skin. Even with my nose parked right on my skin I can barely smell anything after a few minutes. Such a shame too, because this is yum otherwise!

This is Envy's slightly less carpet cleaner smelling cousin. I like this so much more! the red current gives it more dimension.

This is a light and sparkly, fruity scent. I really like this. It's well blended, and I am having trouble picking out any individual notes, but it has a tartness to it (probably the currant and lemon.) This is the first scent I've tried with "green musk", and I think I like it, though I couldn't really pick it out.

This has a pretty strong throw while it's fresh, but like many other fruity scents it doesn't last that long on me.

EDIT: After a few more wears, I've come to really enjoy this and am putting it on my bottle list!

Edited by sunlitgarden

Wet on my skin, Serpents is very aquatic; it reminds me a lot of a greener Olokun, The Deep Ones, blends like that. I'm guessing that's because the aquatic blends tend to have that grapefruit note in them, and Serpents has that same sharp citrusness. As it dries it begins to lose the watery quality and becomes even sharper, more herbal and stronger. It's stronger the longer I have it on, which is a little weird for me. A previous reviewer mentioned that this blend is very unisex, and it is; it's a lot more masculine than I expected, like a very nice cologne. A very nice cologne indeed. I really like this, but I'm not sure it's something that works on me. I will have to retest it, because when I test a blend and get that "This is nice but it's just not my thing" feeling, half the time I swap it away and half the time it ends up one of my favorites ever after another test or two. But at the moment, I'm left going "This is absolutely gorgeous, but it's just not what I smell like." As it dries further it's becoming a little more red-fruity, just a bit, so it definitely needs another test. I wonder if my father would consider wearing BPAL? XD

Can I just say that this is possibly my favorite scent name ever? I really wished this were one that would work on me, so when people asked what I was wearing I could say that name with glee and relish. I knew from the beginning it wouldn't be my kind of scent, but it was neat to find it frimped in a package just 'cause of that name.

So, there's this thing, where when other people smell "grassy" or "leafy" or "fresh" notes in perfumes, I smell "dryer sheet" or "Air Wick". It's hit again with this one and I'm not sure exactly what's doing it. It could be the herbs in the description, although usually herbs smell, well, herbal to me, or it could be the green musk. The bottom line is that I smell citrus, a slightly round fruit that might be currant, and air freshener. I pick up the faintest edge of something, in the air freshener, that has the scent-texture of a white musk mixed with the quality that's supposed to be leafy, green or fresh. I cannot wear this without smelling like Glade.

Initially wet this is definitely citrusy. Once it dries down, I do get the fruity/floral smell. I whole-heartedly agree with odalisque that this has the essence of dryer sheets. Yes, I love that smell, but I don't know if I could regularly wear this as a perfume.

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues - I LOVE this scent. This is an absolutely perfect summertime fragrance. It's heavy on the lemon, lime, and currant. The herbs bolster the citrus notes, keeping them from becoming too bright and airy. And the green musk -- I recognize that from 51 and a couple other blends I've enjoyed. I love it -- it's a really awesome, ethereal addition to the citrus notes. I've been wearing this a lot this spring and foresee myself wearing it even more this summer. Now that I think of it, I should have tossed a bottle into my last Lab order. Next time!

imp: oh goodness, this is delicious. I haven't been so excited about an imp for a long time. :) I think I'm getting mostly current and citrus with a hint of greenery.

wet: mmmmmm. Lots of citrus and the same astringent herbs as Envy. As it dries I'm getting the musk and it's getting a bit powdery...

dry: Herbal fruity musk.

Quite happy with this one although it's not a new favorite, yet.

ETA: Turns out it's a NO for me. :( Gives me a headache every time.

Edited by animalcule

I tried this one not because it's something I thought I'd like, but only because I always like to try everything. I'm not a fan of anything that smells herbal or "green," and I did not expect this would be a winner for me. But... eh, I like to try everything once.

Imagine my surprise. This is lovely. It doesn't smell like herbs to me at all. It smells CUTE. Light, fruity, a little squishy, and yeah, green, but not in that harsh soapy herbal way at all. More like a watery green. It's a happy, clean-smelling, bright scent. Definitely a winner for summertime. I've worn it three times since I got the imp, and I've enjoyed it every time.

Apparently I like green musk, because I adore 51 and I liked Pollution too. I'll have to remember when I see green musk listed in notes that I should try those ones.

In the vial, it's lemon, lime, herbs, and musk. I'm in love. Color, deep scale green.

Wet on my skin, I'm getting lemon, lime, red currant, green musk, and something herbal. It smells very bright and clean, almost like something I'd expect from a dishwashing liquid or something.

10-15 minute drydown - When Beth described one of the notes as 'snakeskin', she nailed it. There's something in there that's cool and sinuous and slithery and I <3<3<3 it. I want to bathe in it.

Now this one I'm slightly curious about - I bought this imp for the green musk , snakeskin and lime, but I wonder how the lemon rind and red currant will play along. I like red currant, but I hope it won't be overpowering - and lemon rind is the only form of lemon that works on me.

In the imp - citrus and musk.

On wet - Fruity and fresh! Citrus and red currant. Nothing else yet.

Drydown - Hmm, nice but not as great as I had expected. Light musk, citrus and currant, but I don't detect anything that could be snakeskin. It's a good scent for the hot summer days, but not necessarily a favourite.

Bought an imp of this because the notes sounded intriguing. And it does start off smelling very nice, almost a spicy fruit scent. Almost masculine, but that may be the spices. Dries into a musky soap on my skin.