Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
moonstonemama

Egle

Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

I love this scent! I got it as a freebie in one of my orders!
Very sweet and woodsy in the bottle. On me it’s more musky/fir on me, but still pleasant.

A few houtrs later, much softer and more floral, still musky but luckily subtle so it still works nicely on my skin. A very nice Fall scent!

I don't think pine agrees with my skin chemistry. In the imp, Egle smelled like pine and flowers and the ocean, although she was a tiny bit soapy to me. On my skin, though, the flowers completely disappeared. All that came out on me was pine, pine, pine. I hoped some of the other notes would emerge the longer I wore it, but all that showed up was...even more pine. Gahhh. The pine ended up being almost sickly-sweet on me, and in the end I had to wash it off because it was giving me a headache.

Final Verdict:

Based on the description and other people's comments, I could see this being a really lovely scent for someone who can wear pine well. Sadly, I am not one of those people. This one's not going to stick around.

In my imp, I get a scent of florals, what might be the fir, and an undercurrent of ocean. Wet on my skin, though, I think I'm getting the fir and the ocean, here, though the florals are quickly coming out on me.

This is an amazing scent on the drydown; the ocean and florals blend amazingly, and the pine's lurking in the background. Definite bottle, this.

Edited by Venneh
Removed Lab description --Shollin

After reading the other reviews I feel a little crazy saying this but my first impression was of a slightly musky melon scent. I don't usually like florals (usually jasmine is a scent I find cloying and suffocating) but in this blend it doesn't overwhelm me. This is a type of floral that I've never experienced before. In the imp I like it.

On my skin it turned to synthetic strawberries. I sware I'm not making this up. It seems fresh and clean, like a sweet, linen, floral... but out of this mixed bag of impressions none of them really speak to me.

Three Years Later...

I just got this as a frimp and decided to re-test on a whim.

When first applied it reminded me a lot of bubblegum, it seemed very pink and sweet. After a few minutes the fir comes in and balances with the sweet. The jasmine starts to become more noticeable but doesn't overwhelm. It ends up smelling faintly bubblegum sweet with pretty flowers and just enough fir to keep it grounded. It's reminding me quite a bit of Wiley Grasser to be honest. Similar floral and sweet with a hint of forest. I've ended up liking this quite well and would also suggest it to anyone who is a fan of Wiley Grasser or missed the chance to try it.

Isn't it amazing how time can change how we interpret a scent?

Edited by strahlend

i got this as a frimp from the lab. this is a salty aquatic with hyacinth on my skin. i think the star jasmine softens it a bit, and i do not sense any fir. for a salty aquatic, this isn't bad! my skin chemistry and aquatics do not mix. neither do many white florals, which i think hyacinth might fall under. this isn't really my type of scent, but i'm happy to say it didn't get overly strong or sour like many aquatics do :D

Finally a jasmine that doesn't scream at me! The hyacinth is just lovely. Pure bliss. The aquatic is not overpowering either. Great scent!

Edited by DeltaCat

in the imp: something really sweet and florals. i love hyacinth though so i really want this to work. i don't know about aquatics, i'm not sure that i've worn anything other than snow notes and those gave me a migraine yesterday so i'm hoping this works out better.

wet: more sweet florals and something that reminds me of cool water. not really getting the almost soap of hyacinth that i like so much or the fir.

dry:starting to get more of the fir and the water. it's very pretty. it'll be good when it gets warmer.

Warms up fast with thick flower petals. Sharp and fruity, maybe that's the ocean water. Not salty, just fresh. Pineapple.

I was hoping for a girly aquatic, but the florals just came surging through on my skin! Sad. D:

I get a salty aquatic, sweet with a sharpish floral and Im pretty sure a bit of the fir too. Gorgeous gorgeous stuff! I knew I would like this!

I really dislike aquatics. Maybe they all just go single note on me. This one smells no different than any of the others that i've tried. It smells like an ocean yankee candle. I enjoy those scents at times, but not as a perfume that I'd wear. More of an atmosphere scent, and even then, sometimes it can make me a little queasy.

Of course, after a few minutes, it begins to morph. I get more of the hyacinth now. It's like petals floating on top of the ocean water.

I have to say, after the initial wet, it does morph into something pretty. Still not my style though.

Quite strong on the florals and aquatic. It isn't too bad, but for some odd reason there is something in this scent that makes me feel kinda nauseous. *sigh*

I didn't love this one at first, but this latest time is different.

I like greens and pines, so those notes are wonderful. The hint of florals (I don't get much that I can clearly identify as jasmine... wherever that is, it's playing nice with the other notes) originally seemed too strong and sweet for me, so I was ready to get rid of this. But since then, I've tried more of the aquatic scents, and I'm finally recognizing the ocean scent, which makes this considerably more fresh than cloying.

It's androgynous enough (in the way that greens and aquatics are) and I love it for that. Throw is not terribly strong, but I kind of prefer that with such clean scents like this one.

The verdict is still out, because the inconsistency of this one makes me nervous, but I think I'll be enjoying my imp at least half the time!

This is strange. Very sweet in the vial and on my skin. It smells more fruity than aquatic to my nose, but it's got a clean floral edge. I don't know what hyacinth smells like, but I'm thinking they must smell something like lilies because I'm definitely getting that clean lily smell with the fruit. The thing is, that smell combination sort of makes me nauseous sometimes. :/ I guess because it's so sweet and smells more like a candle or room spray, and not something I'd want to smell like.

I get a bit of fir as it dries, but it's kind of too late since I'm already slightly nauseous. Oh, well, can't win them all.

Frimp from the Lab. They really are so good to us, aren't they?

In the imp: Candied fir. Not that I've ever seen or smelled candied fir, and I don't know why it would exist, but that's what it smells like in the imp to me.

Wet: The sugared sweetness I got in the imp resolves into soft florals, with the fir still there keeping it from going too florally girly for me.

Dry: As it begins to dry, I get a growing awareness that this is, in fact, an aquatic - which I tend to think I'm going to like more than I usually do. But I'm liking it here. I think it's the fir, not too sharp, but crisp and fresh.

Overall: I like this, and more than I thought I would. But the throw is a little more than I'm comfortable with. I use a light hand when applying for testing, and it's still strong enough to be heady even when my wrist is far away from my sniffer. If I'm going to wear it, I probably need to find a way to tone it down more.

Wet, I seemed to get a lot of citrus. And salt.

Dry, it was kinda piny and wet. Invigorating. Like a far northern shore. Sweden or Norway. Bracing....but some sort of woody warmth in the background....like drying fir boughs on the mantle.

I definitely like this one...

I thought it was really nice that the labble included 2 very nice ocean scent frimps in my last order. Helps amp the natural smell in the air around here...

Wet: evergreen and ocean air with violet blue-feeling flowers.. wow! It's quite ethereal. My head just lifted off my body and away from the worry of getting ready for a workweek. It's wet, gree, blue, violet, and flashes of fuchsia.

Drydown: the fir turns less sappy but this still has some serious staying power. The star jasmine and hyacinth are wonderful sweet aromatic deep without knocking you out florals. It goes back and forth between beautiful and slightly B.O.-ish as my chemistry fights with it. I'm not sure if this one likes my skin, but I'm definitely using it as an atmospheric scent *rummages for lamp oil ring*. I might still wear it occasionally.

I don't like aquatics, or pine scents, or jasmine, or most floral notes. OK, so why is this amazing?

Honestly, I never wear aquatics or anything with a noticeable pine note. I keep trying aquatics thinking one of them might work for me, but they never do. They're too salty or ozoney or they remind me too much of a men's cologne. This one, though... it's watery in a pretty way, with the pine a nice solid background and the florals sweet and feminine. It also smells slightly like pineapple for some reason, which in my book is not bad at all. Gives it kind of a sweet tropical overtone.

Hey, whaddya know. I think I found my aquatic winner. Only took me 5 years!

In the bottle: aquatic hyacinths and something that's almost fruity (maybe it's the jasmine?), while the fir in the background adds a bit of depth and danger. I adore good aquatic blends (my obsessions with Lightning and Tempest as case in point), so I'd been dying to try this one! thus far, I'm impressed by how seamlessly the florals and aquatics blend together, neither overpowering the other, and all with that scent of fir too!

On my skin: on me, it turns more salty, with the fir and jasmine becoming the primary notes. I don't mind though, b/c it's interestly a mix of feminine (florals) and masculine (fir). refreshing, and becomes more green as it wears on, the floral notes almost entirely succumbing to the strength of the fir and the ocean. really interesting blend. if it had a little more of a dangerous edge to it, I think it would be very similar to Lightning or Tempest.

Last thoughts: if Lightning and Tempest had a baby and smothered her with jasmine. salty firs and jasmine, with a bit of dangerous ocean.

Wet, fresh floral, not heady and would be great on a warm day. Dry, it really smells like honeydew melon to me, maybe it's the ocean water and florals combining giving me that impression. Jasmine has a tendency to take over a blend on me, but I don't even get a whiff of it here. As time goes on, it becomes more musky. So I'm getting a muted musky honeydew melon. Very nice, and I'll probably use the imp on hot summer days.

In the vial: The florals are front and center in this, but the fresh green fir in the background keeps it grounded.

On: Oh yeah, I can definitely tell there's hyacinth in this, because the floral in the front is definitely the same note as in Ladon. The fir is not as strong as it was in the vial. I don't get a lot of oceany notes or star jasmine.

Later: The fir has turned to a mere anchor - I am not getting an overt scent anymore, but I am sure that a wood is grounding the florals. Hyacinth and star jasmine have begun to mingle, and the scent overall is a lot fresher than it was in the beginning - the aquatic notes? Not bad, a cool, fresh, non-cloying floral for summer. I don't need more than the imp, though.

In the imp: MOTHER OF GOD JASMINE D: there is no way I'm going to be able to wear this, it's so cloyingly sweet. A bit soapy as well, that must be the ocean.

On: the jasmine mellows considerably and this takes a beautiful, floral turn. Wow, this is so unexpected. Still not getting any fir, but the floral combines with the ocean scent and is a very nice, clean, girly smell.

Later: This has faded to almost nothing, but if I smell my wrist I'm finally getting some fir. The jasmine is, astonishingly, pretty much gone. A very delicate mix of fir, light floral, and the sea.

final ruling: it's nice enough but not really anything special. Not anything I would normally wear, but I tend to prefer bolder, muskier scents so that's probably not all that surprising. I think I would like to try another aquatic blend though, because I love that ozoney-saltwater smell.

Very fresh and aquatic, along with a hint of fir, in the imp. It also has a touch of ozone à la Lightning. It goes a bit sharper on my skin. The fir is much more pronounced and an indistinct floral lingers in the background. No jasmine for me. It's much more pleasant now than half a year ago, as it was much sharper, and the fir was stronger. As it's beginning to dry down, it's heading towards the direction of soapy. Overall, better than I expected, but still not my thing.

In imp: Smells like plum to me, though it's not a listed note. Kind of heavy and overly sweet.

On skin: Bleh, as I thought, this is gross and sickly sweet on my skin. I'm not getting any fir, and the combination of the strong florals and the aquatic note are actually making me nauseous. :( I'm actually glad to read that a couple other reviewers had that reaction as well - makes me feel a bit less crazy. This is a "must wash" blend on my skin, unfortunately.