Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wicked

A paean to all the Wicked Queens, Evil Stepmothers, and other misunderstood villainesses throughout history and lore. Lends an aura of majesty, refinement, strength, and a deep, brooding malice. A sophisticated, womanly scent: rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

Wicked is... well, number one, it hits my skin and leaves a giant red welt of doom. (One of these days, I'm going to have to take pictures to document the rose-burning phenomenon, just because.) But after it rests a while, the welt goes away and the scent turns into a soft, sweet powder with just a touch of myrrh at the bottom of the scent.

I like it, but not enough to deal with the "omg, it burns, it burns, get it OFFFFFFF!!!!" factor.

I almost liked Wicked, almost. It smelled rich and warm and fairly yummy-- there was a middle note that I enjoyed very much, but a heavier note that did not agree with my nose and made my stomach feel queasy. If I could actually figure out what they were, that would help me with future BPAL selections. But, I'm new, so it'll probably take me awhile.

Because of the note that disagreed with my stomach, I won't be purchasing a big bottle of this.

I wish that I had read the reviews here before even trying on Wicked. My skin pretty much always amps up jasmine notes. At first I do get a bit of powdery rose here, but it quickly turns into nothing but jasmine. Pure, strong jasmine. Headache in a bottle.

Disclaimer: Jasmine usually goes all drugstore-perfume on me, so I don't have high hopes. But I love Myrrh & rose, so I have to try this.

Wet: Mostly Jasmine/generic perfume so far, but some myrrh underneath softening it.

Dry: And my skin has amped up the jasmine/perfumy scent. Sigh. Oh well. Ya never know until you try.

In the bottle:

Oh noes jasmine!

On me:

I am not really all that fond of rose OR jasmine. However, there are several blends by BPAL where they just work on me. However, every time I've tried rose and jasmine in *combonation* the smell is always the same. I cannot smell specifically rose, and I cannot smell specifically jasmine. But instead, it comes off as a wierd rash cream sort of smell. You know, that artificial, overly perfumed, smells perfumey but not for the purposes of perfume, kinda vibe. Those two together just never work on me for some reason. The myrrh never seemed to really come forth on me.

Final note:

I wish this was more helpful, but unfortunately rose and jasmine are just a dangerous duo on my skin.

Wet: Roses, roses, and more roses. A crush of gigantic velvety blossoms stained rich shades of burgandy and wine. I can just barely make out the warm, dusty bitterness of myrrh as in quakes in the background. The sweet, exotic scent of jasmine is nowhere to be found, obviously smothered by the overpowering scent of rose. There is a mild (but enjoyable) tang to the scent at this point that reminds me of a lush boquet right before it goes off.

Dry (10 min): Ugh. Rose remains the dominant note in this blend and the cloying, heady quality of this particular rose is stupifying. The tang of just-about-to wilt flowers has morphed into a heavy, powdery, "old lady" scent. The myrrh lends a dim and dusty touch to the blend, but this pleasant base is easily forgotten when confronted by the owerwhelming odor of dried roses and talc.

Dry (45min): Still powdery, still rose... but the headache inducing intensity has faded somewhat. I can finally catch a sweet but itty-bitty whiff of jasmine. Unfortunately it seems that the myrrh has gone the way of the dodo.

Overall: If you enjoy the scent of roses... big, dark roses that are just past their prime... you'll really love Wicked. If you're not a rose person, or if you're like me and your skin chemistry has some bizarre synergistic reaction with rose essential oil, stay away... far far away!

In the imp: Strong Myrrh with citrusy floral behind.

Wet: Almost all myrrh, very strong resin scent. The rose comes out after a few minutes with the jasmine.

Dry: I thought I would smell great, and for the next 4 hours I smelled like sex. Nice, husky, sexual power. Boyfriend sniffed me and said "Wow, sex!" after the rose came out. As usual, the jasmine went to powder but it worked for the full effect. Powdery sweet floral, husky resin, watery floral... together it's lovely.

Overall: I knew I'd love it, and I do so much that I may turn this into a perfume stick. Seems I may find some use of this around the boy... I think I'm converting him to the smelly stuff on me. I may convert him to use yet!

Edited by PixieSkull

Wicked:

In the bottle: The strongest note is the rose, with a hint of the jasmine under it.

Wet: That...hm. It's sharp, and I can get just a hint of the rose, but not much else.

Drydown: Rose and myrrh. Pretty, but not something I'd ever wear, nor something I'd want as a roomscent.

Conclusion: sell imp

I wish I loved Wicked. But...

Wet: It just smells generically like pricey perfume to me, one of the dark evening scents like Opium or Poison.

Drying: I think it's mostly myrrh? There's some kind of pervading tone drowning out the jasmine and rose, and I'm not fond of it.

Dry: Baby powder. I'm not kidding. Within six minutes, this dark perfumey oil smells just like an application of Johnson's Baby Powder on me. Later the jasmine comes back somewhat, but it's still mostly powder.

Oh well.

Ew. Strong catpee jasmine--damn my non-cooperative skin chemistry. I don't know why I keep trying jasmines. This happens about 90% of the time. But I guess its worth it to find the 10% that work!!!!!!! :P

This one really wasn't as cat-pee-y as some others, but its there. It's strong. And it's unpleasant. I am getting rid of this ASAP.

This was a frimp, and I had no idea what was in it when I tried it on. I kept thinking it was lovely and powdery, but turns out that was Hunger on my other hand, which is so strong it keeps wafting up, demanding to be noticed.

As for Wicked--reminds just a tiny bit of Caterpiller in the bottle, which is no doubt the jasmine--smells like dark jasmine incense. Sometimes BPAL's myhhr doesn't work for me, but I don't smell the myhhr this time around.

On, it isn't at all like The Caterpiller. the jasmine becomes less incensy. Its a dark floral on, not too bad at first.

But then, sniff sniff. What is that? Oh, my nemesis, rose. Oh well.

For me the jasmine dominates, but a hint of rose comes out which really does it in for me. No thanks!

In the Bottle: This is an illusive smell. At first I smelled the jasmine, then the rose then the myrrh I guess that last wiff was. I’m not sure how I feel about this one.

Wet: Oh yes….I do not like this. I usually love the wet stage but this one, I’d rather not even comment for it’ll be nothing nice.

Drydown: Yah……I dislike this very much. IT’s all myrrh on me with a hint of soapy roses.

In the bottle: a powerful, mysterious scent of what I believe is myrrh. It makes me think of deep, dark blue, for some reason.

Wet: jasmine starts to seep through the myrrh, making the scent sharper and sweeter at the same time.

Drydown: It's only after a while that I start smelling the roses through the jasmine and myrrh, practically as an undertone. Actually I think the three blend together to make a unique, rather spicy scent. It makes me feel queenly, a bit haughty. It really suits the wicked stepmother mood, for some reason it makes me think of jealousy. But it also makes me think of hypnotic seduction with its heavy florals.

Overall: I have trouble describing this with words... someone who sniffed it on me said it smelled like an Indian perfume, probably because it's quite a common combination of scents over there. It's a heady perfume, insistent, which will come back and haunt you long after you've put it on. It smells like a velvety, deep blue mystery, and it's very sensual, too. I definitely like it, but it's weird, probably not for all noses.

Wicked

Oh yes, that's jasmine there. That sorta deep sweetish jasmine. With just a hint of something deeper behind it that I imagine is the myrrh plus a gentle tinge of rose. This is surprisingly nice for a jasmine + rose blend as they're both floral notes that often go wonky on me in bpal blends. Overall, a very deep floral.

at first: lots of jasmine and rose.

on: more rose and myrrh. very nice.

1 hour later: dusty rose.

2 hours later: more myrrh now.

overall: this is ok, but nothing special on me.

Imp

This smells like crushed flowers and whispery musk. Very romantic!

Wet

Dear lord what is that smell? Now, I know why the flowers smell crushed, some pushy floral note (probably jasmine) is stamping all over the top of them. It is nasty. Jasmine is being a witch on its fellow mates in this blend.

Of course, rose is not one to be bullied, and as time passes, the jasmine is now getting pulled back down to level playing field. I can now smell hints of that lovely rose/myrhh romance, but the jasmine is like a pouty ex-lover spoiling the scent--you can tell she's still hanging around.

Dry

This is one threesome that did not work out. The jasmine tainted the gorgeous blending. Every time the scent softens and I lean down to breath in the wonderful hints of the rose/myrrrh, the jasmine punches me in the face.

Guest Titania

Dark, musky, sensual. My first whiff makes me want more. On application, undertones of wet roses and dark gardens. I can smell the jasmine and sink into the sensual play of fragrance and images. However on dry down, the scent gets more "dry", more "brittle". It is not completly unpleasent but on my skin I smell more tones of the rose that reminds me of a scratch and sniff card.

Jasmine and I have such a dysfunctional relationship. Just when I think she loves me, she turns around and goes all haughty and stinky on me. I desperately wanted to try this because I love myrrh, I love rose, and I usually can get along with jasmine. But noooo. Jasmine just had to go and be overpowering on me this time. So sorry, Wicked! To the swaps with ye!

In my quest for a dupe of B Never's Two Hearts, I got myself a 5ml of this.

In the bottle: I'm actually trying this at the same time as Nyx, which has the same three elements, and I'm detecting more rose than jasmine.

Wet: Rose and myrrh. Almost like All Saints, which is a deep, incensey, somber rose-in-church on me, only this one's less complex. I think this might be a decent substitute for All Saints, if I run out before next year.

Drydown: A dark, sinister rose - like a shadowed, deep red rose that's staring at you and cackling evilly.

Dry: The jasmine's sort of coming out now, but it's in the background and I can hardly smell it. This is perfect for days when I want to be wicked and kick some ass.

Rating: 4. In my quest for a Two Hearts duplicate, the award goes to Nyx, but I still like this one a lot.

Edited by rabid hauteur

I think I'm in love with this scent -- at least for the days when I want to feel haughty and sophisticated. Wicked is a faintly spiced rose on me, reminiscent of Harlot, but this is MUCH more luxuriant and womanly. I'm not familiar enough with jasmine or myrrh on their own to identify them, but however this is blended, I really like it.

extremely floral....rose and jasmine are predominant....and

thankfully this is the same kind of jasmine that is found in "love me"

and totally works with my chemistry...hip,hip, hooray :D

after about 1/2 hour the myrrh comes through....so it gets

a touch incensey.....really, really nice blend here and long lasting ....

love it!! :P

This is the only BPAL I have ever ran screaming to wash off.

In the bottle: Sharp roses, bitter jasmine, myrrh, ginger and biting ash.

On: I smelled like a sweaty old woman, who hasn't washed in ages.

Verdict: Beware of myrrh and jasmine combos, for they make me smell like ass.

edited for early morning spelling

Edited by The Perfumed Ferret

Wet: Crisp, fresh floral. I can smell rose, in particular.

Dry: You mean there are supposed to be other notes besides rose? Now it's pretty much just baby powder.

Final: As usual, the rose came out and stomped on everything else in its quest for powdery world domination.

In the bottle: that funky stank smell I associate with some flowers, like paperwhites and jasmine. A sweet fragrance with something bitter lurking underneath.

Wet: same funky smell, sweet and bitter. I am not getting rose out of this at all.

Dry down: funky flowery sweet with bitter. Maybe Myrrh doesn't like me. :P

Conclusion: Didn't even get to 30 minutes, I just washed it off and applied Lupreci to cover it. Not my kind of scent. My stupid chemistry just didn' play well with this one.

Rating on my skin, this is a 1.

I thought I had already reviewed this one. It has a kind of fruit note to it. It is mostly floral though. The jasmine isn't going crazy like it usually does, but it is giving it some kind of alcohol note to it. It is sort of alcoholic rose.