Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wicked

A paean to all the Wicked Queens, Evil Stepmothers, and other misunderstood villainesses throughout history and lore. Lends an aura of majesty, refinement, strength, and a deep, brooding malice. A sophisticated, womanly scent: rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

In the imp: Lovely myrrh with a floral edge.
Wet: Jasmine and myrrh. Not sure how well they go together, tbh - it's vaguely toilet-spray-y.
Dry: The myrrh is wonderful, but it just doesn't seem to go with the florals that well. Pass.

This was a blind-buy for me but I am rather surprised at how much I love this. It is warm and a little firey (which I attribute to the myrrh) and I will definitely be wearing this again soon.

Wet, it has the weirdest firey chemical smell. I attribute the chemical smell to the jasmine and the firey smell to the myrrh. The warmth is compounded by the roses. I was patient with it, though, and held out.

I am glad I did because once it had a good hour to transform, it became this devilish rose fragrance. The throw is very short on me but I will sniff my wrist for this one. The strangest thing is that the clothing that I got the oil on smells way more like jasmine and myrrh. This must mean that my chemistry brings out the roses (which is something I have suspected all along) and that makes me want to invest in an entire bottle of Wicked.

This is much softer than I thought it would be. Floral with a tint of incense underneath. The jasmine is very prominent in this.

I really can't decide if I like this. At first it was sweet jasmine and myrrh (neither of which I really like) that worked great together. But then the rose came in and amped all over everything and left the florals sickly and at odds with the myrrh. Neh.

Alas, however much I like the idea of rose and yasmine, I am fast discovering that I am unable to wear most blends that contain them :( Nothing wicked here for me, except maybe the overwhelming smell of old ladies and soap :D

In the bottle - Mostly jasmine and a touch of myrrh

Wet on me - A soft gentle rose comes out against a smoky myrrh

Dry on me - A pretty rose

Overall - Better than I expected because the jasmine didn't show up, but still not really me.

• ITI: Imperious jasmine, burgundy rose, and dark myrrh notes swirl around in the imp like some kind of magnificent concoction geared for evil dames. I like it in the imp, but I'm not sure how well it will behave on my skin. Jasmine, I'm watching you.

Wet: The jasmine is more of a jasmine I'd associate with a sambac once on my skin. The myrrh and rose are both dark enough to offset with bombastic nature of jasmine, but I'd have to say that the myrrh - earthy, threatening, and faintly masculine - is what really makes the scent with the sweeter florals.

Dry: As it dries down, Wicked does start to go a bit soapy on me thanks to the jasmine note. The rose shrinks back, which is too bad because the rose note is a really lovely, maturely dark but soft note. After about an hour, the jasmine calms down and the rose and myrrh take their stand - both a bit dusky and slightly aged, but alluringly feminine nonetheless. I'm much more of a fan once dry.

in the bottle, it's a kind of weird jasmine. spicy. probably the myrrh. reminds me of an oil concoction I would make with one of my aunts. it doesn't change much on my skin, which would be better if i was in love with how it smells in the bottle :/ i'm not sure if i actually smell the faintest bit of rose or if it's wishful thinking. is jasmine always this sharp and spicy? or is that the myrrh? either way, i'm not sure if i'm going to keep this or give it to the aforementioned aunt.

My kind of party! Rose, jasmine and myrrh? I'm there!

I like this as an evening scent. I can't quite imagine wearing it before late afternoon. That would be like having liqueur and cheesecake first thing in the morning in your jammies.

On me this is a beautiful soapy rose with undertones of sweet Jasmine. It's nice, but I'm still in search of the perfect rose. I do find it funny that it's called Wicked, yet to me it smells very sweet and innocent.

In the imp: Intense jasmine and myrrh. I am not looking forward to this, but I want to try this one because of its inspiration.

Wet: The jasmine and myrrh notes are very strong. There is a bit of rose present, but it cannot compete with the other two notes. The scent is rather sharp to my nose.

Dry: The myrrh and jasmine have calmed down, but they still reign, with the myrrh note being the stronger of the two. I can smell the rose a bit more in this stage, though.

Verdict: I'll stick with Vain Sorceress for my fairytale villain scent.

Wicked imp

Wet/Bottle - I love this. It's feminine, light and slightly floral but the myrrh brings out a darker, lasting note. The notes say "subtle rose" but I don't get any at all, which is good since my skin amps rose to soapy levels.

Wet/skin (5 minutes) - SUBTLE ROSE?! I THINK NOT! I actually had to wash this off of my skin, as the rose that was nonexistent is now all there is.

Once again, DAMN YOU ROSE!

In the imp: the tiniest hint of rose with a lot of sickly jasmine 😝

Wet: Not quite as icky, but now it's all jasmine.

Dry: Well the rose has come back out but this is overwhelmingly jasmine which frankly, smells like someone's sprayed a bunch of perfume to hide something unpleasant in the bathroom. Literally scrubbed this off myself.

In the vial: Jasmine and burning. Burning in an unpleasant way. That's probably the myrrh, which usually I like. Bleh.

On the skin: Okay, jasmine. I hate you, you hate me, why did I put this on? No, no, bad.

I really love this in the imp, but it basically dissapears on my skin leaving only the smallest trace of rose and maybe some jasmine. Smells clean! In the imp, it's got a lovely bitter, dark side with the jasmine and myrrh acting as a cloak for the rose. Pretty!

Lab frimp. I get that chilled rose, almost no jasmine at all. This is beautiful - I can almost smell the fleshy crush of the petals. It can get a little bit soapy though. Definitely a rose scent worth revisiting for me - it's all the gorgeousness of a rose, none of the headache.

This is perfect for my mood today. I've been marathon watching the TV show Reign and wanted something regal and badass, reminiscent of the show's feeling. And I've found it. Wicked is haughty and proud. I love jasmine, I know it's an unpopular floral but it doesn't do weird things on me and it has a beautiful dark scent. Mixed with roses it's lovely. The myrrh gives it depth. The throw was strong and it lasted a long time. For some reason the image this brings to mind is a mantel in a dark throne room draped in jasmine and white roses. In some ways this is similar to Obsidian Widow minus the pinot noir note which comes out pretty strongly on me. It shares the jasmine, rose, and myrrh so there are a lot of common notes. I really liked this, though, it had a totally different attitude to it than Obsidian Widow so I don't think they're too similar. Obsidian Widow is an assassin in a pretty disguise. Wicked is a queen ready to go to war to protect her crown. (that sounds really melodramatic haha...) :wink: But anyway I really did like this one! Very true to concept :D

Wet - white florals, tang. A hint of something warm.

On - It's going all jasmine on me. It smells sad. Like unfulfilled ambitions.

I can appreciate this, but it doesn't feel right to my skin.

Got this as a frimp. Really like jasmine and really like rose and wet I get both of those in one heady combination. In my culture (indian/ middle eastern) jasmine is the king of flowers while rose is the queen so a combination of both is thought to create a greater whole . Not sure if this is why the rose and jasmine stay nice and true on my skin but it's a heady combo that reminds me of Joy (which I love! I'm also an older, drunk, neurotic woman so maybe I'm just the target market lol. In any case I don't get any of the smoky note that others speak of.

There's a middle phase where the myrrh is just starting to come out and it goes all dark and straight into the realm of the divine. I can actually see a dusky skinned haughty eastern queen clad in gold sashaying down a dusty red road. LOVE. After 10 mins though the myrrh overpowers the flowers and it's still nice but I don't think I'll get a bottle because I have a feeling where BPAL will shine for me is in the leather/ tobacco/ sandalwood based florals so I'd rather try the Tales of the Imagination and Devil's Lovers first.

*UPDATE* ooh the smokiness is coming out now, I quite like it. But still prefer tobacco over myrrh.

Edited by queenshaboo

In the imp: this just straight up smells like classic BPAL. Heady and dark.

Wet: the rose and jasmine come out, it's such a beautiful combination. The dark smoky myrrh comes out as well.

Dry: it was so heady and beautiful and then it disappeared. Now I just have the faintest hint of rose left.

Imp: rose, myrrh and jasmine let's see if rose will be nice to me this time
Wet on Me: I really must be the eternal optimist that I think rose will work on me. Already it's pushing the other notes out of the way and wearing stompy boots all over everything.
Drying Down: bad rose. that air freshener rose. not playing nice with others and just stompy bootin it all over the place.....
Dry: I keep hoping and trying. Why I don't know only I have hope I may find a rose that works on me and my rose hatin skin.

This smells very traditional. I get fresh rose and jasmine, but they've been drenched in washing powder. Myrrh commonly goes soapy on me and this one did, too. Oh, well. I guess we just can't get along.

In the imp: On first sniff, I got rose. Then jasmine. Then rose again. It shifts back and forth a lot, but it's a dark, slinky, sexy, voluptuous scent. If it stays exactly like this, I will be 100% happy.

Wet: Still flip-flopping. Either rose-jasmine or jasmine-rose, 60/40 each way. Sadly, it's gone a bit sharp and lost that candlelight-and-velvet feel from ITI. It's still a nice, lush floral, though.

Dry: Passes through an unfortunate soapy phase (huh, I've had frankincense misbehave, but never myrrh), but after three or four hours it's quite nice. A little musty, but still that jasmine/rose - rose/jasmine flip-flop. Soft, sweet, and very realistic!