Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wicked

A paean to all the Wicked Queens, Evil Stepmothers, and other misunderstood villainesses throughout history and lore. Lends an aura of majesty, refinement, strength, and a deep, brooding malice. A sophisticated, womanly scent: rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

In the imp: Mostly myrrh, with the flowers waiting in the wings.

Wet: Still getting myrrh more than anything else, with the faintest touch of sweetness. If I move my wrist farther away, I get roses.

Drydown: Musty roses. I’m not getting much of the jasmine. This sort of reminds me of the “rose” page in a scratch n sniff book I had when I was a kid.

Later: This is too bitter on me.

:::WICKED:::

This is the fragrance of potent and effete fecundity.

Wicked sashays in through the nostrils imperiously and cackles in delight at the bevy of sycophants, prostrate before her...

The very first impression of Wicked is that of Vetiver: The SWEETEST, soapy sort of Vetiver ever encountered... Bella Regina!

Upon perusing the Lab's notes, however, it is dismaying to find that there is no Vetiver in sight... Not a mote!

Huffing the stuff reveals it to be the hybridization of the Myrrh and Jasmine... Both incredibly sweet, but bond together in this blend to add a coat of earthy blackness to the atmosphere created by this fragrance.

On the skin, the Rose magnifies and looms.

The Myrrh and Jasmine have lost much of their Cimmerian quality, but the soapiness loiters...

After a while of wear, the soap has departed, leaving a beautiful, swooping fusion of all three notes.

Wicked is glamorous and haughty.

A begrudgingly radiant countenance.

A legend.

This is divine for Her.

4/5

The lab sent me a frimp of Wicked (thank you!) and it was love at first sniff. Wet I just smell vetiver even though he is not listed in the notes. Maybe he is Wicked's bodyguard because he fades right away as a deep heavy myrrh sweeps in, jasmine carrying her train and rose trailing way behind.

The rose, myrrh, and jasmine drydown to a deep delicious scent with a don't mess with me vibe. Worldly, dangerous, lovely - I'm ready for my own bottle!

Wicked

"Wicked" is right. The rose is so overwhelming in this. It slithers down my throat and chokes me. Smells like a bathroom spray. Evil.
I will try to age this and see if that helps.

1 out of 5

*This was frimped to me from the Lab! Edited by ModderRhu

Frimp in one of my orders.

If you had asked me where this scent could have gone wrong, I would have pointed accusingly at the rose. I was premature in my judgement . . . I should have thrown dagger eyes at the jasmine.

In the vial, I get burning plastic. Whoa, I think I've just pinpointed that note in Scared Whore of Babylon that went horribly, horribly wrong! Deciding to be a trooper, I went ahead and put this on. Wet, it's burning plastic bandages and it's the same during the drydown, only stronger. I had to cut the test short and wash this off.

This sounds like an absolutely wonderful scent on the right skin chemistry. Unfortunately for me, the only friendly note in the blend is myrrh. This imp is going to be passed amongst my friends, to see if any love jasmine (and it loves them back).

Wet: bitter and potatoes earthy starchy,

Transition: touch of sweetness, floral a bit "bitter" but very potato-y

Dry: I just can't get past the smell of potatoes, the florals are a bit too sweet for me too.

After a while: bitter florals, the sweetness and eathy notes are in the background but less dominate.

Verdict: The name is fitting but this is really not something I want to smell or smell like.

Wet: bitter and potatoes earthy starchy,

Transition: touch of sweetness, floral a bit "bitter" but very potato-y

Dry: I just can't get past the smell of potatoes, the florals are a bit too sweet for me too.

After a while: bitter florals, the sweetness and eathy notes are in the background but less dominate.

Verdict: The name is fitting but this is really not something I want to smell or smell like.

I Love that i'm writing this just after the above post, because at the moment I'm feasting on a huge plate of fresh out of the oven tater-tots.

I'm almost in complete agreement with the reviews so far. Wicked does give the impression of vertiver right off the bat, but alas it's no where to be found.

Rose just isn't my favorite scent, but it's one of the few scents that holds fast to it's original body when I wear it.

I don't really sence anything monumental here as far as true wickedness goes, but then my Mom loves roses and that's all that needs to be said.

Enjoyable if you can handle it.

Unfortunately, this is extremely off-putting in the imp - heavy, thick, and overbearing. As a floral lover, this would represent the worst side of florals. :(

As it dries, fortunately, it mellows somewhat, although it never loses that first heaviness that can only be described as, well, matronly. I'm at a loss as to know what's causing it - I usually love rose and myrrh on me. Maybe it's the jasmine, although it doesn't smell like my previous experiences (non-BPAL, admittedly) of jasmine. Hmmm. There's also a note coming through that reminds me of...wine?!? (The real deal, not BPAL wine, which smells good but not really like wine at all on my skin.)

Yeah, this goes crazy on me. Ultimately it becomes this thick blend of florals which smells not really bad, but off to me somehow. On the plus side, the description is spot on to what I'm smelling. However, I'm afraid it'll be a giveaway.

Edited by AmberApple

In the vial, that smells like pure myrrh. Color, dirt brown.

Wet on my skin, GACK! Nothing but myrrh. It smells almost like spicy dirt. Mind you, I *like* myrrh, but not by itself.

10-15 minute drydown - Ok, not nearly as offensive now. I'm starting to get the jasmine and rose. It's not painful, but it's not me.

30 minute drydown - It's very... perfume-y. Like old lady perfume. Not my thing.

In bottle: Thick myrrh and florals.

Wet: Same as in bottle, this is super strong, even just a touch goes far

Dry: The myrrh stays dominant but is lightened by the jasmine. As time passes the jasmine continues to amp up as the myrrh fades, until it is mostly jasmine with a touch of myrrh.

Notes: This is one strong blend, proceed with caution!

Wicked

Imp: Whoa, this is sinus-clearing strong!

I applied a small amount and the myrrh is VERY strong and bitter. I smell a bit of jasmine in the background and only a teeny bit of rose. This smells medicinal and overpowering. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

On the skin: Wow the myrrh is going really smokey on me. I would almost say there was some vetiver in here. Very dirty/smokey. I can barely smell any of the florals. Definitely not a scent for me.

Icky.

Wow this is wicked strong. Strong and evil!!

The rose is not subtle at all on me, I get a huge amount of rose, dipped in dark myrrh.

The drydown and finish is pure rose to me. I am not liking this one at all.

imp: rich, deep myrrh.

wet: this is pretty smoky myrrh, not really getting any rose or jasmine (which is just as well because those two are horrible on me).

dry: i never got any rose or jasmine, just lots of strong smoky myrrh.

I get mainly myrrh and jasmine from this, no trace of the rose in here at all. This is a fairly dusty scent, and I am reminded of an elderly woman's fancy perfume. Defiantly not my thing.

In the imp, this is mostly deep dark myrrh and subdued jasmine. Not zomg heady jasmine keel me over-very understated and sort of sinister under that veil of myrrh. Not noticing the rose at all.

On my skin this goes WAY more jasminey. Like, all jasmine. Well, 75% jasmine, 25% myrrh. Maybe a sliver of rose in there somewhere? The jasmine really is quite strong in this. Definitely a mature scent-I can see why Beth would call it sophisticated.

Overall, dried to a soft, slightly powdery jasmine/myrhh. Never Got any rose from this. A nice, slightly naughty, adult jasmine scent, though not one I could see myself wearing.

Got this as a freebie and it's just interesting enough for me to be torn on whether to keep or swap it.

For those who love myrrh and want to try florals but are wary at the same time, this is probably a good blend. Me? You can probably tell from my signature that I'm more of a straight-up florals person who likes things softer, but I definitely see the merits of this blend. It lives up to its' name - I definitely think of Wicked Queens and Evil Stepmothers. It's a good blend for when you need to give off some serious don't-fuck-with-me vibes. (Pardon the language.)

Imp: Myrrh, slight florals

Wet on skin: myrrh, jasmine

Dry down: slighter myrrh, less jasmine, more rose

Dry: No more myrrh (well, actually very faint), no more jasmine, rose... it's all rose. Damn.

Verdict: I wish rose was my thing. But it isn't, especially not all rose ick. I might actually give this to my mum because it smells exactly like LUSH's Turkish Delight Shower Smoothie (her fav).

Well I am not going to jump totally to conclusions, but I may have found the perfect BPAL scent here.

:wub2:

This is Caterpillar-ish, but so much more feminine and less like a wizard shop.

This is heaven. OMG this.

It does smell like Lush's Turkish Delight, those reviews are what got me to buy this. Heaven.

6 out of 4 stars.

Edited by stellamaris

Wet: Roses with a hint of myrrh. Sharp, almost tangy, if that's possible.

Dry: Okay, now it's just straight up roses. To me, this scent lacks the depth that I thought the ingredients would impart. It just doesn't work with my skin.

Today I'm retesting Wicked, because I really didn't give it a fair shot last time. I was highly inexperienced, for one thing, and even though it was only a few weeks ago I've learned a lot in those few weeks! As soon as I open the imp I'm amazed by the difference - what I read as men's aftershave not long ago now smells of rich myrrh, the slightly soapy smell has revealed itself to be jasmine, the one that tickles my nose turns out to be the "subtlest rose". This holds true on wet, and the myrrh gets deeper and warmer very gradually through the initial drydown.

Why in all holy hell did I think this was masculine? It is astonishing how much one can learn in just a few weeks from just sixteen little imps.

It settles down into a dark, heavy floral with good throw and reasonable staying power (by my standards; I think I eat perfume) that doesn't morph too much and feels warm and close on my skin. Despite the thematic text, for my style and with my chemistry I actually think this is more an everyday-for-work perfume than anything else, but that's a very good thing - I need more or those! I like this a lot all of a sudden, and will probably consider a bottle when my imp runs out. It has catapulted from 2 stars to 4 with just a little more experience and extra knowledge, which just goes to show that noses = weird.

I am leaving my original review below, because the nonsense amuses me ;-)

**************************************************************************************

Okay, so after reading the reviews here I'm starting to think that my untrained newbie nose just doesn't know what it's doing. I'm going to stick with what I thought unbiased, though - even if only to smirk at in a year's time when I know what I'm talking about a bit better!

Imp - men's aftershave, very strongly. Thick and musky, quite warm and round. There's quite a chemical note to it. Perhaps something a bit citrusy? My nose is seriously untrained; I'm new to all this!

Wet - a bit more woodsy, maybe, but still very much with the chemically men's aftershave.

Drydown - uh-oh, I think this might be the dreaded powdering I've read so much about! Because suddenly it *does* smell a bit like baby powder. Incredibly strong, musky, powerful, chemically baby powder. It's tickling my nose a bit, actually, and I also feel like I smell a bit too masculine for comfort.

Over the day - musky, citrussy, chemicals. Really very masculine. After a couple of hours it fades into a whisper of warm spices without the masculine tang. This I like. Weirdly, though, the musky man smell returns a few hours after that - and then by the end of the day it's settled into a slightly butch dark floral, with undertones of a powdery lavender.

I don't dislike it, as such, but I don't think it'll be a frequent re-occurer; 2/5.

Edited by persephonehazard

In the bottle: Bitter and rose. A very bitter rose.

Wet: clean, clear and bright. Very light rose, right out of a shower. With a light rose powder afterwards. The bitterness has disappeared for a light, bright scent.

Dry: Ah, the bitterness has returned. Still with a powdery rose. The two are fighting against each other rather than blending and it’s giving me a headache in the process. Trade pile.

The myrrh in here is warm and strong, so strong that I almost thought I got a single note by mistake. I get whiffs of jasmine here and there. I'm one of the few out there that actually likes jasmine, so I'm sad that it doesn't come out to play as often.

What DOES come out is rose, and it's competing against the myrrh in a screaming contest on my skin. >_< It's starting to make my nose itch too. Maybe I shouldn't be testing this in 85+ degree weather, as I like Wicked--at a distance. I'll let it stew in my imp box until winter for a final verdict.

What is wrong with me? Everyone can find so many wonderful, or at least interesting, scents in their perfumes. I got squat. I guess I'm just no good at picking apart the notes. Anyway, I recorded my impressions when I tried the perfume and at the time I hadn't any idea of what the description entailed, so you can take this as the approach of someone who has no idea as to what to expect from it - your average rube.

First Sniff: Jasmine. It's quite a distinct Jasmine note, not as strong as Peitho, however.

Second Sniff: What? Where did the Jasmine/Peitho go? Now all I have is the powdery smell of Thanatopsis (I'm drawing a lot of parallels today).

Wet: Jasmine is back! Jasmine and musk together now. It's very strong.

Dry: It... it just smells like baby powder. Really, really strong baby powder. Incense spray baby powder.

Dry (2 hours): Baby Powder Baby Powder Baby Powder Baby Powder once I thought I caught a hint of Rose but NOPE! Baby Powder Baby Powder Baby Powder Baby Powder Baby Powder。

Dry (4 hours): Oh god, get it off! This is so sweet and it just lasts forever. Wouldn't you know that the scent with the best throw and grip is one of the ones I like the least.

Colour association: Baby Blue and White.

Throw: Medium to mild.

So It was about this time I checked the notes. I was very surprised because I was completely ready to attribute the horrible baby-powder smell to some sort of musk as it was reminiscent of what happened with Thanatopsis (only much, much worse). I'm thinking it must be the myrrh? This worries me because I thought I'd like myrrh and have ordered a whole bunch of imps with it. Uh oh. I thought Myrrh was meant to be dark and bitter, not cloyingly sweet.

I got my father to smell-test this on me (he is one of my guinea pigs) and these were his thoughts:

Pop: "You smell like a teenager."

I'm over twenty. This was not a compliment.

Edited by Scorianelle