Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Butter Rum Cookie

A boozy addition to the devil's bake sale! Rum-soaked butter cookies, crusted with sugar, soaked in almond and garnished with orange rind.

A review from a will call skin test:

Bottle: Lots of brown sugar rummy cookie. Deliciously promising.

Skin: UGH! Burnt nuts. In the words of darkling "its like someone was roasting chestnuts for WAY too long." I am hit or miss with some of the brown sugar like scents, and this one went straight to burnt, sugared nuts. I was so disappointed, because this was one of my most anticipated blends of the new yules. Ah well, at least I found out that it hates my skin BEFORE I bought a bottle....

In the vial this is boozy and sweet. Immediately on the skin I actually smell a warm oven and something like hot coconut milk (weird, I know!) and almonds, which is a bit odd, but quite actually quite nice. It has the scent of a crumbly (yes, it specifically smells crumbly) cookie, but one that isn’t overly sweet. Ok – this may sound odd but, on me and after several minutes to settle, this smells exactly like some sort of middle-eastern dessert, flaky pastry filled with almonds and pistachios and soaked in orange flower-water with just a whisper of cardamom :P (though I know that last one is not in the notes.)

All I can think is it's my body chemistry being extremely odd, but even though on me it smells little like its name, it's one of the most interesting blends I've tried. And it makes me hungry!

Edited by mparker

Wet, I smell warm melty butter, sugar, and a hint of spices. I often find orange anything to be overpowering and go sour on me, but I am not sure I am even detecting it here... but my question is: where is the rum?

It's like my nose is teh fail. This blend is weak on me, throw is very light. As it dries down, it smells a little bit doughy and spicy. Drydown sees those spices and the warm cookie develop further in the most delicious way, and a smidge of orange appears. Actually, I am relieved that the orange peel note is subtle, as that was the one note that made me hesitate to order this. Here, it's working out quite beautifully.

Far drydown sees the entire blend come together into a warm, spicy, slightly buttery, hint of orange, faint hint of rum sort of thing (this is well blended!). The spices have a bit of delightful fizz to them. And there's never anything that says "OMG RUM!".

Despite all the wibbling above, the conclusion is that Butter Rum Cookie smells fantastic! It's foodie, yummy, warm, lightly spicy, and full of holiday cheer. And if at first the butter puts you off, let it keep developing on your skin: it just gets better and better and more beautiful.

My only complaint is that it's not nearly the powerhouse of scent that I was expecting from the ingredients. Expectations are funny that way. :P

EDIT, Dec 30: I have to tell you this. Because. It ruined it for me. My sister thought I smelled like curry when this was on me.

Now, that is all I smell when I wear this. Buttery curry. Maybe I can use this as a room scent? I am loathe to do so, but it doesn't work on me at all anymore. BOO.

Edited by obsidienne

Where's my boozy butter and rum? This came out as red apple, a touch of marzipan almond and very soft orange. Not a lot of the cookie smell that I was anticipating unfortunately. Any spices that were there were eaten by this overwhelming apple and fruitiness.

Butter Rum Cookie might just about be the best thing that's happened to my BPAL collection in a while. There isn't a bitter alcoholic note in this at all, just loads of warm lickable spice and a sweet cake-like cookie scent. Rich, golden, and very addictive. I hope this returns in future years!

Bottle: Butterscotch and rum.

Wet: Almond and rum, and a little bit of cinnamon. Me likey.

Dry: Oh yum, I love this. Like a warm and spicy oatmeal cookie. That I could get drunk off of.

Verdict: Love it! It becomes less rum and more cookie the longer it's on, which is probably a good thing. Might like it even more than Sugar Cookies! :P Definitely need more!

5/5

Wow, does this one ever pack a punch! This is rum-soaked rich deliciousness, very spicy and brown sugary. As it dries, the spice blend really starts to pop. It's just one of those winter-y, Christmas-y scents that we all associate with this time of year. I love the buttery, golden richness of this--it's not too strongly alcoholic and the rum seems to be a toned-down version of the rum in last year's Egg Nog. If this were an actual cookie, me and my pregnant belly would be eating about 400 of them!

Edited to add that I just realized what kind of cookie this reminds me of--Snickerdoodles!

Edited by vegasblueblood

I wanted to love this one. I did! But, alas, it was not meant to be.

In the imp this is all sweet, sugary boozey deliciousness. But the moment it touched my skin it went... wrong. It has a sort of burny plastic smell to it that is not at all pleasant. :P Could this be the brown sugar? The only over scent that has done this to this degree for me was Miskatonic U -- and I think it was *supposed* to do that!

This smelled *so* good in the bottle - the combination of rum, almond, and sugar made my mouth water. On me, it's very different, just spice (cinnamon, I think) against a warm, orange-y background. I like it, but I wish I could get what's in the bottle to stay on me. Still, I think this is a worthy successor to Gingerbread Poppet. I know I'll be keeping warm with Butter Rum Cookie this winter.

3.5/5

Darn...I really wanted this one to work, since it sounded so delicious. Unfortunately, all I get is toasted pancake syrup. BPAL made me a cookie...but they burneded it. :(

i just knew i'd hate this. i don't care for sour citrus (like orange rind), i hate almonds and rum is very hit-or-miss...

that being said? sniffed from the decant this is soooo close to Sugar Cookie '04 (The Devil's Bake Sale), and on skin it morphs into a Gluttony layered with Sugar Cookie '05 sort of general yummy scent. so strange!

will need to add a bottle to my Lupers order!

In the decant: A buttery sugar cookie! YUM!

Wet on skin: A bit more spicy than in the bottle, but in a good way!

Dry on skin: Sugary almonds spiced with rum and a HINT of orange. It’s DELICIOUS! I MUST have a bottle!!!

In the imp -> RUM! That's about all I get from this. I sure hope it calms down...

Wet -> It's definitely spicier, but the rum is still top note here. Reminds me a little of gingerbread. Very sharp cinnamon.

After a while-> It stays boozy, but my skin turns it into something plasticy.

Sniffed from the imp: powerful butter rum, reminiscent of Grog.

On: Wet, i'm getting something similar to Pancake Breakfast, but with the boozy rum over it. A gigantic weight lifting champion of a gingerbread man. Powerful stuff! More sugar coming through now. Smells like a Christmas cookie candle. Better if I keep my nose a bit away from my wrist, just because it is so very powerful. Definitely getting the orange rind now, which makes me nervous, because orange can be cruel to me.

Mmm, but after a few more minutes of biting rum and orange, this gets VERY cozy, like I'm cuddled in blankets near a warm fire, maybe drinking some apple cider. It doesn't smell like apple cider, that's just the ambiance I am picking up on. I don't know if I could wear this out as a perfume, I feel strange smelling so identically like food, but it is really a pleasure to smell. To me this is much like Pancake Breakfast w/out the pancakes. The sugar and the syrupyness are very similar.

I think future appreciation will not be ON me, however... it was too powerful for my usual tastes and irritated my crappy allergies. Still a fun thing to try out, just to appreciate the artistry.

first wiff- ukk~like all the other scents of overly sweet baked goods that have become barbie tea sets upon my skin before this-(easy bake oven?)

on me skin- oh MY! the plastic fake is gone gone gone! what a warm scent this is- confectionary without the cavity. not popcorn butter, more caramelized or rather its really a tone. The rum plays a similar part- it sets the stage for the almond paste with golden spice*

what a lovely surprise~ winter comfort!

verdict-bottle, bottle, whose's got the bottle!

Edited by dreadpiraterustypants2

This scent was a decant circle one that I didn't try for a long time. BPAL's rum notes are NOT my favorite, and I like Sugar Cookie, but not as a skin scent. But...Butter Rum Cookie is unexpectedly wonderful. It smells like spiced baked goods on my skin, lasts for hours, and my husband was even loving it! :yum: Thank God I can't afford to hoard twenty million bottles, because that's so what I want to do with this one.

straight sniff from imp is the bestest ever cinnamon, rum, molasses cookie....positively

drooooolworthy!!

once applied this reminds me so much of arcana's sugar solstice that i cannot justify buying

a big bottle...it is scrumptious beyond words and if you have not tried it, what on earth are you waiting for?? :yum:

I totally agree with sookster's review. This smells just like Arcana's Sugar Solstice. :yum:

I definitely get the almond and the rum over a cookie base. Sugar Cookie was too buttery and sugary for me. And on wet, this smells like Sugar Cookie + almonds. As it dries, the almonds and rum become more predominant, making this less sweet and buttery. I kinda like it, but it definitely makes me hungry!

In bottle: Exactly as advertised. Wet: Mostly butter rum, but the almond makes a good showing, with the rind and sugar softer, but present. I really like the lab rum note and the whole thing is quite lovely. Dry: Mostly rum in the end, but I’m really okay with that.

The rum in this scent was much too strong for me. I've been wearing BPAL's Sugar Cookie (from a few years ago) for so long that this version of a cookie scent just doesn't seem right to me. I'm sticking to plain ol' Sugar Cookie. I really love that one. :)

I am not much of a rum person and definitely not a butter fan. But this scent so perfectly captures the essence of butter rum cookies, fresh from the oven. It stays true and does not stray not one iota. Not bad for those who love boozy Christmas cookies.

I'm really glad I made a 2-bottle impulse purchase of this one because it smells delish! From the bottle comes a hint of rum, buttery sugar cookie, and the orange zest. Once on my skin, the rum and orange zest evaporate and are replaced by cinnamon. The sugary cookie tones down a little bit and what is left is a mouthwatering aroma of buttery pancakes french toast (duh) covered with maple syrup and sprinkled with cinnamon. A wonderful scent for a lazy winter-time Sunday morning :yum:

PS. I think I will definitely have to dilute this one. After about 30 minutes the cinnamon is still burning. But still yummyriffic!

Edit: Later on I realized that I had not noted any almond; and then I realized that what I was smelling was not cinnamon (at first) but cherry-almond, which seemed to turn into cinnamon, then back into cherry-almond. Still very yummy.

Edited by beastsbeauty

Bottle: Rum. WHOOF. And butter.

Wet: The rum's lightened and I can smell the almond now, but it's a very warm just-baked version of the scent. And there's some spice, too.

Dry: Spiced rum, buttery sugar cookie. I thiiiiiink I can get the orange rind and the almond has faded enough for me to not hate it. Yum yum!