Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A bounty of chocolate coins! Dry cocoa and golden amber!

2011 Version - Wet, this scares me. It's like if the cardboard from the cocoapuffs (mentioned/and borrowed from above) got soaked in milk and cocoapuffs. And the cardboard is laying on the floor. In a corner. Alone.

The silver lining is that it definately goes more real-chocolate-y on me as it dries. Smooth. However I feel like there's some fruit in here? I'm possibly just confusing it with the amber (I mean yeah duh I am but it's what I'm getting from it) and unfortunately I hate chocolate + fruit. Pass! D:

2017 Version

Wet: the sweet chocolate is more dominant, in background there is the balsamic Amber.

Dry: as it drys, the Amber get in foreground, it is heavy and balsamic on my skin. I love it, since I love Amber! Now the chocolate is in the background, its bitterness is still detectable.

I don't know what year my decant imp is from, but this legit smells like chocolate cookies. omg. it's just a sniffie vial otherwise i would give it to the child who loves foodie scents.

2017 version

This is the most comforting chocolate scent and reminds me so much of my beloved Dark Chocolate, Sandalwood, Amber and Nutmeg HG. It is a snuggly, long lasting, nonsweet chocolate. It has a bit of that evocative sensation that I am smelling my cat's fur, but it is not funky at all, but rather soothing. The amber develops with wear, with the chocolate stepping in the background, but never quite leaving (as it does in that yummy aforementioned HG!) Lovely!

In the bottle

Smells like sticking my head into a box of cocoa pebbles, plus maybe a little something more in the background.

Wet on skin

This smells a bit less like dry chocolate cereal and more like cocoa powder by itself once it's on my skin.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

The amber gives this a softer, less foody edge the longer I wear this, but this is no doubt a CHOCOLATE scent. YUM. It doesn't change much, and it doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Thoughts

This is a very well aged 2008 bottle. If you're on the fence about buying Gelt and you're afraid it might just be straight up foody chocolate, try it anyway, because this is borderline without going over the edge into overly foody chocolate

2008 version.

In the bottle: Dry sweet cocoa, like perfectly sweetened hot cocoa powder.

On my skin:

Cocoa with the amber peeking out as it dries. As it settles, the amber becomes a little more pronounced -- but not really all that much. The scent stays with cocoa in the forefront with the amber hanging out around the edges.

(2008 version)

This is strong! I know scent and taste are closely wrapped up with one another, but when this is in the bottle and wet I get a weird sense memory of chocolate melting in my mouth. It's really sweet and heavy milk chocolate.

After it dries, the amber comes up in a vaguely musky way, though the chocolate is still the main thing.

This is a little much for me on its own, but I'm excited to see how it layers.

Oh. My. God. Oh I could bathe in this! I’ve been waffling on Gelt for years, then was given a sample by a lovely forumite and I need myself a bottle of this! I was hesitant to blind bottle because of all the dry and dusty talk, but amber and I have a very special relationship, and it nearly always goes into a golden warm, very liquid, bordering on aquatic, resinous delight on me. And it does here too! Meaning it’s a silky, warm, golden, chocolate DREAM! So if Amber turns to liquid sunlight on you too, grab this! It’s soooo good! 😋

This review is for the 2008 version!

Waxy milk chocolate, a little darker than Bliss but it's also similar to cocoa powder. If you've tried any of the dollar store gold foil covered chocolate coins they have around Xmas, this scent is a dead ringer for those! I feel like I can also smell that gold foil, but I think it's the amber.

I like it, but it's not my favorite chocolate scent. If you want something chocolatey but a bit more subtle than other blends, this would be a good fit.

Gelt 2021-

More amber than I expected, actually! This chocolate is not like Bliss at all or like Muddy Puddles' cocoa. I get an almond or nutty scent out of this. Maybe even cocoa pebbles? Very light too which is unexpected as chocolate usually amps on me like crazy. 

Edited by wolf_truffles

Starts off as an ooey gooey wet chocolate brownie mix and dries down to a rich, smooth dark chocolate covered nutty truffle candy with warm amber undertones, making it even more decadent!  

2021 decant

I love cheap chocolate holiday candy so much, and I can't have it anymore because I'm lactose intolerant, so this is such a welcome scent! :wub2:

There is definitely some nuttiness happening on my skin after this has dried completely, and I remember all the little foil wrapped milk chocolates used to have that same sort of undertone as well. I can see where some folks would get cocoa puffs, since it's so dry, but the effect of this scent on my palate is that I just wolfed a bunch of chocolate coins. Spot on!

FINALLY  I added this to my Yule order this year and I am happy I did.  I adore amber and it works so well with the cocoa. 😍

2021 version

The chocolate in this is much dustier than I anticipated. It's that yummy chocolate note that BPAL does so well, but covered in acrid dust. There is a golden amber present, as well, shining through the dusty chocolate. I don't think this really works for me, unfortunately.

I have the 2017 Gelt. Gave it a whiff straight out of the post and it was glorious! Excited to see how it smells when it settled. The most delicious genuine chocolate scent from the bottle. But when it hits my skin the chocolate tanks and becomes mostly a minty (peppermint?) smell which I still enjoy 

2021 version:  First time cracking this open for the first night of Chanukkah in 2022!  In the bottle: Cocoa with a hint of something almost like orange flower water--I'm thinking the Droste orange chocolates--and toasted hazelnuts.  On, wet:  Opens up almost immediately into a true sweet cocoa powder, but not TOO sweet -- there's still that floral element, a nut note, and almost something a teeny bit boozy like chocolate liqueur on me.  Drydown:  This becomes a soft, luscious cocoa perfume on my skin; stays close to the skin; notes of nuts and a teeny bit of florality linger on.  Really glad I got this one and held on to it.