Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Phobos

Twin to Deimos and child of War, Phobos is the embodiment of terror and mortal fear. Chilling white musk, lemon verbena, white grapefruit and lemongrass.

This oil is a really beautiful shade of yellow! In imp and on me, it's all lemon, lemon, lemon. It has a tiny hint of Lemonheads candy but I mostly get the slight green/herbalness that means lemongrass to my nose. No grapefruit, no musk, nothing but lemon. Perfect, glorious, sour, tart lemon. It certainly does not inspire terror in me. It's got quite good throw, I can smell it on my arm where I tested it as I type. I think this will be fantastic in the heat of summer.

In the imp: Citrusy and fresh.

Wet on skin: Holy crap, lemon candy.

Drying: It's turning more sweet and musky, a little more grapefruit than lemon. After a while it becomes mostly musk.

Dry: Lemon musk, with a slightly herbal accent. This is like 51's citrusier, greener, almost wetter cousin. I don't think I like it as well as 51, and I think this could easily remind someone distressingly of lemon pledge, so I don't think I need a bottle.

Edit: It seems to be calming and losing that sharp, floor cleaner edge, leaving behind lemongrass and musk. I still don't think I need a bottle but I will certainly use up the imp.

Edited by GoddessChaos

All I can imagine when I smell this scent is washing my kitchen floor while chewing on lemon heads. It's clean but the lemon notes over power all the other notes in the scent.

I'll probably diffuse this one.

Lemongrass and lemon verbena from start to finish. A little bitter on the drydown, and not very complex. Ironically it lasts longer on me than most BPAL citrus scents, when I'd prefer that it hurry along and one of its cousins hang out.

Grapefruit is always iffy on me, but I love lemongrass so I waffled, but finally decided to try this.

Wet: Bright citrus, almost more orange or mandarin then lemon and grapefruit.

Dry: Lemongrass! Just as I'd hoped. Beautiful. No evil grapefruit, and just a hint of lemon. This shall be added to my list of "buy a bottle before next Spring/Summer". Lovely.

In the imp: Lemons! Lemons lemons and more lemons. Definitely the lemon verbena, which I love.

Wet: still very citrusy and green, and rather sweet. It makes me think of lemon and lemonbalm sweets I ate as a child.

Dry: there's something greener poking out. Now it's very much lemon verbena and lemongrass, plus something else that I can't quite identify (the white musk, perhaps?).

Throw: low to medium. It's noticeable, but people are more likely to think you're eating a lemon pastille than to identify it as perfume.

It's very sharp and citrusy, and not something I'd wear everyday, but I like it. It's rather medicinal and herbal, and I could see this working very well during travelling to prevent motion sickness, or after a very copious meal to settle the stomach.

Very lemony citrus, sharp with the grapefruit, and the musk comes out more on the dry down. I prefer Whitechapel as its more of a delicate citrus, but this is a great scent for someone looking for a bold citrus.

In the imp: LEMON.

Wet on my skin: LEMON CANDY.

Dry: LEMON CANDY and a tiny bit of green citrus peel. It's very sharp, slightly-sweet, lemon drop candy. Pretty much just that through the whole wearing, though a bit of the white musk does start to peek out after a long while. It'd be great for someone who likes lemon/citrus scents, but it's a bit too much citrus for my taste as a perfume. I bet it'd be great in a bath, though!

Imp: lemon and tart pale grapefruit
Wet on Me: lemon syrup cleaner
Drying Down: sweet lemon and lemon cleaner.
Dry: Sherbet Lemon not that I don't mind smelling that....but if I smell Sherbet Lemon I wanna EAT Sherbet Lemon!!!!!

This was incredibly promising as i opened it, it smelled strongly of lemon verbena, which I love and hate at the same time, it smells lovely but reminds of a point in my life that I didnt know who I was or what I was doing and just did as I was told and questioned nothing, which bothers me a lot.

So Phobos stirred up old memories but I swatched it despite that, and it was very enjoyable at first, lemon verbena with a cloying sweetness. but not even an hour later all I'm getting is the musk, which was rather unpleasant to me. So probably not for me.

But damn is it hard to get off.... :rasp:

In the imp: LEMON LIKE WHOA. I'm getting lots of lemongrass and lemon verbena, backed by the white musk. I can't detect the grapefruit in the imp, sadly. I hope it makes an appearance on my skin!

Wet: This smells like candied lemon peel on me at first.

Dry: During this phase, it's still a lemon party (with the lemongrass being stronger than the lemon verbena now), but I do get a hint of grapefruit.

After some time, the white musk note asserts itself, making this a clean, lemongrass scent.

Verdict: Aww, I was hoping for more grapefruit! I liked the lemon candy phase, but I did not enjoy the dry phase nearly as much. This would make a great warm weather scent, but I don't think that I want to smell this strongly of lemon.

Sniff from the imp of unknown age: CITRUS.

Wet on my skin: LEMON DROP.

Phobos does not whisper. That overwhelming grapefruit and lemon scent quickly dries into a more complex, yet still fresh and sharp, white musk. It reminds me of a shop downtown called the Souq.

I love lemon verbena as a summer scent, so I'll be saving this imp for next year.

I tried an extremely old imp of this - if I had to guess, I’d say it’s around 10 years old.  When I opened the imp, it was a blast of lemongrass.  

I tipped the imp over and…nothing.  I waited and waited and waited - the perfume had turned into a syrupy texture that very slowly oozed out.

On the skin it was straight lemongrass that faded almost immediately into a very faint, slightly feral musk.  Within a few minutes, the scent had totally faded.