Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Puck

Oakmoss, sweet sage, juniper berry, civet and a drop of grape.

Forest all the way - sweet sage and oakmoss give this a green, deep-forest feel, and the juniper berries add crispness. The drop of grape sweetens the package, and the civet completes the earthy, animalistic, forest picture.

Starts out as a sharp green with definite musky animal tones, and dries down to a more mellow but very solid blend that leads me to mental images of rabbits curled up in the hidey-hole that low-lying tree branches create next to their trunk.

Civet and I don't seem to get along well, as it turns funky on me; otherwise, I'd wear this one often. Edited by Shollin

This is my least favorite scent so far, the sage smells sweaty to me. And when I put it on it is amplified! Maybe this is more of a mans scent but I couldnt wear it, I tried, it did not work for me.

It took me a while to build up the guts to open Puck's vial at all - every time I sniff it closed I smell animals in heat. Guess that’s the civet. Scary. :P

First sniff: From far-ish away the grape is very nice, but there’s that thick black animal smell underneath if I get the wand anywhere near my nose. I’m trying it on and hoping for a miracle. In a posting at Bust, kebechet once referred to a couple of the guy scents (Satyr and Czernobog) as being “penis-oriented,” and that’s exactly what I’m getting from this one. (Sorry for the visual.)

Wearing: Yup, I smell like a grape Popsicle in heat. Trying to give it a fair chance to develop, but at the moment... yeargh. (Only the second I've actively disliked of gods-know-how-many BP scents I've tried - still a damn good track record.) Swaps away!

OK, so I finally got up the guts to try Puck out on my skin. The smell in the bottle smelled like grapes and cat pee to me, so I was naturally hesitant.

HOLY CRAP. I have never smelled anything turn so disgusting once it hit my skin. I'm sort of giddy by how bad it smells on me:

severe halitosis and rotting grapes and the greenish-brownish sewery smelling water that's left in a vase of dead flowers

:P

I'm kind of glad that I tried this on, because even though it overpowered everything else in the room and I had to go take a shower, it was like having a gross-out contest with a 4th grader or something. Fun yet nasty. And now I know that I must avoid civet at all costs.

Edited by ladylatemar

Funny--reading all of the reviews for this one. I LOVE civet. The problem is --other people don't. SO--I wear this one when I am at home. It's a foresty-tangled, sex-musk smell to me, but maybe people don't appreciate that when I am sitting next to them on the subway!

My cat likes it too. :P

I think this is one of those like it or hate it ones....

I love this one too, but was almost afraid to admit it. I find it to be very cozy and mossy, though the grape may make it a bit sweeter than I would like. I also only wear this at home for fear of other people saying "what is that smell?"

you know those old strawberry shortcake dolls?

puck smells exactly like the grape baker.

This was one Jason wanted, but he hasn't tried it yet. (It's been sitting in a cute little box in my purse .. thanks astarte!) I sure hope one of my buys likes it, cos it's certainly -not- a feminine scent.

In the bottle: I can barely bring myself to sniff this. It kinda smells in the bottle like Cheshire Cat does on me. And it's not pleasant. I can only guess that's the civet. If that's the case, I might do well to avoid civet in the future.

Wet: Still that funky-strong odor (I can't quite call it a scent). There is hope it might mellow, but I can't bring it anywhere near my nose.

Wearing: Oddly, this wafts with the grape popsicle smell others have mentioned, but if I put it near my nose, it's back to that unpleasant odor. Definitely an animal smell. I can kinda see how some would get 'foresty sex' from this, but it's certainly not a scent for me.

The eight people at my place while we were trying the samples were unanimous in their dislike of this. As one of them said, "it smells like dog shit hiding in the grass of the park after a rain." It's probably one of those scents that gets better after the initial shock, but none of us were willing to try it.

It's too bad, because the description sounds wonderful.

Have to agree with other reviewers who have sworn off civet. :P

This is the third of the Lab's creations I've tried that have civet in them, and each oil has gone absolutely rancid on my skin. My body chemistry turns civet into a quagmire of muddy animal piss. As soon as it hits my skin - YEEAARRGH!! :D

However, I can wear musk with absolutely no problem at all. In fact, white musk is one of my fave single notes oils. Wonder what's up with that?

Anyway, Puck goes off to the swap pile.

claire G,

In the vial, strangely enough, I smell everything but the civet.

On me, however, Puck is strongly grape for about 10 minutes, then dies into sage + oakmoss with an underlying dose of, you guessed it, civet.

I smell like some dog that's been eating breakfast sausage and rolling around in moss came and crapped on my arm.

*twitch*

I couldn't put this on. In fact, I had to seal up the vial in a little plastic bag in case it let a fume out near my other imps. This is the first blend I've tried with civet and my fears were realised 100%.

I could go on and describe it, but I will leave it at saying that I can see why this one got discontinued.

Edited by AnnetteL

I oddly enjoy this one.

It's an aggressive, rutty odor, like you've spilled the wine and twisted the sheets and gone at each other again and again, exploring every orifice, not even pausing to shower.

I find the civet note very close to camphor, so while it does remind me of stale exhalation, anterior or posterior, it also reminds me of things mothballed for storage.

It's compelling, if not pretty. Inappropriate for the job interview, but possibly a nice touch for the exit interview, if accompanied by a toothy, wild-eyed grin.

Wierdly, as civet has hated me every SINGLE time, not this time.

This one was all herbs, sages, definitly some junoper, and a little musk but nothing overpowering or rancid. It was really rather gender neutral and while natural and herbal anbd a bit musky, I didn't find it overpowering. I am still rather amazed that this one DIDN"T go rancid on my, however it's not really me so off it goes to swaps.

Oh wow, my body chemistry did NOT like this. Another of the gamy scents I need to learn to stay away from.

This smelled like poop on me.

Oy.

Wash wash wash.

I really envy the people who smelled grapes.

Puck

Preconceived Notions: Possibly a good scent for the God, and maybe I can wear this one (I tried Satyr, and it doesn’t work at all on me). Slightly worried about the civet.

In the vial: I get some grape, I think, and that animal scent from Satyr. Good. I was hoping the note that didn’t work on me in Satyr was civet. Let’s hope it behaves better in Puck.

On me:

First whiff: So far, so good. Yes, the civet is strong, but it smells strong and virile, not like a dirty, peeing animal like it did in Satyr. I’m guessing this is probably too ‘masculine’ for women who are concerned about such things.

After a couple of minutes: I can’t concentrate, this smells so darn sexy. The grape note is still there, and I think there’s something else, but I can’t place it. They tone down the civet a little. This is wonderful!

Over time, the civet does begin to annoy me a little (I’m not really sure why, but amber sometimes does the same thing). I’m even starting to get a headache. That’s frustrating. The scent hasn’t changed at all, but my reactions to it now are more negative.

Final impressions: This is pretty good. I like the entire scent, although after some time passes, the civet begins to annoy me, and give me a slight headache, so this probably won’t be an everyday scent. However, I'll give it another try. There could be other reasons for the headache.

Though I like it better than Satyr for myself, Satyr will remain my top choice for particularly animalistic or Hunter-type gods. Puck would do well for earthy/foresty gods that are less animalistic, such as the Green Man. Overall, an excellent blend.

In bottle: Ick. Smells like a varnish or stain that my mom uses when she's making her minature buildings and needs an 'antiqued' look.

On me: If I hold my arm a few inches away, I smell grape popsicles. Not so bad, I'll take fruity anything. If I get any closer I smell some animalistic thing. I don't think it's rancid or horrible, but it's not something I seek to wear. Too bad. It's fading very quickly, too.

Disclaimer- Puck and I did not get along...here are the dirty details:

The vial seemed to be wafting disgusting smells even before I opened it. In the vial it smells rank. All I'm getting is the civet. I long for the grapey-popsicle smell, but no love. I will be avoiding civet in the future.

So, I put some on. For the first few minutes I would get pleasant wafts of grape that were quickly ruined by the smell of rancid cat pee. About half an hour after application all I was getting were constant wafts of civet (in other words, constant cat pee). It doesn't seem possible, but the civet gets stronger over time. I HAD to wash it off.

Seriously, this stuff was making me retch. I was soooo disgusted.

No more civet for me. Not now. Not ever.

Puck

Ah, poor little Puck. Everyone seemed to dislike him so. And, as I didn't think I'd tried civet, I was naturally a little worried. Maybe I fried my nose smoking pot back in my misspent youth, but I found Puck to be a fun, happy, and delightful little guy. Not something I'd want to wear every day, but it was nice. The first hit from the vial was a strong, knock me-on-my-ass astringent kick. It was like sniffing a strong cleaning fluid in the way that it made me nose almost burn. But after I applied it, it dried down to a dry, sage-y grass smell. I didn't get any grape, but something made it a little sweet. That must have been it.

Final verdict, either I can't smell civet or it doesn't smell like cat pee to me. :P

Phew - I'm so gald it's not just me! I got this as a freebie and every time I sniff it I think "cat piss"! I haven't even dared try it on my skin! I thought I must have received a vial that had gone off or something but now I know I'm not alone.

No wonder it's been discontinued! This is one for my giveaway list

Wow. I can't believe how many people didn't like this one!

:P It actually smells pretty darn okay on me.

Civet and I have an amicable relationship...I think we each understand the other's animalistic nature, and so we don't feel the need to display it so much when we're around each other. :D

On my skin, Puck is a nice mix of sweet and earthy notes, with the sage and berries contributing much more to the sweet end than the grape. The oakmoss is a lovely base, as well...it really makes the scent appropriate for its namesake, methinks. This is certainly more of a guy's scent, though, than one I would actually wear out (due again to the oakmoss, not the civet), so I'll probably swap it away, but I have to say that I don't think Puck deserved all of the bad press! :D

Puck goes on my skin coyly, smelling of meadows and grape, almost like grape candies and forest breezes. It is a fitting tribute to the charatcer, both wild and gracious.

It plays out like a symphony of scents, starting with fruit and oakmoss, running into the animalistic duo of civet and earth. From there, it lasts for a few hours mixing into a wonderful cocktail of sweet and savage.

I wish this scent was still around. I would get a bottle of it. I am trading my imps in the hopes that others will love it as much as I do.

I notice a lot of bad press for this one. It's such a good scent and a balanced bunch of notes, I wonder if I just got really well mixed imps or something like that! :P

I didn't get a cat urine smell or sweat. Then again, Danse Macabre smelled like dead bodies on me so maybe it is all a matter of body chemistry.

Edited by Madame Nyx

In the bottle, Puck is mainly sage and oakmoss, a touch of grape and a bit of juniper berry. But, it seems civet is my nemesis - it took what was a nice blend that I would have happily worn, and turned it into poop. It's not fair, really. I really like blends with sage that I've tried (Ave Maria Gratia Plena, Lex Talionis), but the civet in this one just turns me right off.

Wow!

The sweetness of berries and grape nestled in the darker oakmoss work for me.

Definately a light & fun woodsie scent.

I guess I really love the juniper berry or something. Whatever is the sweetest aspect is great. Not candy, floral, or even fruit sweet but sweet and wonderful.