Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood.

I <3 me some dragon's blood. The aquatic notes here feel almost leatherish. The salt is quiet, and unsurprisingly, dragon's blood is the top note. Not my favorite of the Ars Draconis line, but still solidly in "works for me" territory.

Edited by supremegoddessofall

I got an imp of Dragon's Tears as a gift from a friend. I don't know what Dragon's Blood smells like so I have a hard time comparing.

Dragon's Tears is just floral to me. Wet and in the initial drydown I can smell - maybe lilac? Lily? A single note.

No salt, no spice, no cherry,... nothing.

Now, later, I get a more soapey smell. Like a previous poster said, old ladies' bathroom with the soapbasket.

Don't know for sure but I think I'll pass on this imp.

In the imp: Definitely aquatic.

Wet: Still aquatic, but with flowers. Rather nice.

Dry: A nice aquatic with just a touch of floral. As it stayed on my skin it became quite soapy. Not bad soapy, just not necessarily a scent I'm aiming for in my perfume.

Edited by rivki8699

I am of divided mind about this scent. It was on my wishlist and I was very happy when I got it as a frimp in my latest order. And dragon's blood and aquatics both work on me.

However - it is neither the best dragon's blood on me (that's still, after all these months, Dragon's Heart, with Dragon's Bone as honourary mention), nor is it the best aquatic on me (still, after all these months, Lightning.)

I am not sure I will want to wear it again, although it is indeed a pretty scent.

Although this oil is bright red, dragon's blood doesn't seem to be the prominent scent. On my skin, it has kind of a salty metallic scent -- not so much aquatic, but definitely salty. This one has a much more "perfumey" quality than most of the other Ars Draconis blends. Although dragon's blood usually smells resiny-sweet to me, here it smells almost spicy.

This is an interesting blend, but aquatic/salty scents aren't my favorites.

Wet it started off a sweet floral and then very quickly went super soapy and stayed that way. Definately old lady bathroom/soap basket.

Off to the swap pile.

straight sniff from imp is perfumey dragon's blood...

once applied i get an aquatic vibe from it but the floral takes

over too much for my tastes...

Somewhat salty and aquatic, but toned down by the creaminess of the dragon’s blood. Becomes a little ozoney. I usually like dragon’s blood but can occasionally get tired of it. I don’t know what to think about this one – it starts doing the powdery-ick thing but then it turns into something better – maybe try again.

I am not overly fond of salt, aquatics or florals. But I do love me some dragon's blood, so when this came up in a swap, well, I had to try it!

Although dragon's blood is the most dominant scent at first, there is still a very definite salty twang. I'm not sure I completely like it, yet it's somewhat compelling as well. Then as it starts to fade a little a floral note comes in (lilac?) and threatens to overpower even the dragon's blood. Just when it gets to the point where it's threatening to go soapy on me it starts to back off, and after an hour or so I'm left with dragon's blood laced with a little salt and floral.

In short I like it quite a lot, despite all the reasons I probably shouldn't! It most likely won't be a bottle scent, but that's just as well since every other Ars Draconis scent I've tried thus far has ended up on the bottle list already!

In bottle: sweet, a bit resiny and clean.

Wet: the more complex parts of dragon’s blood start to show up over the sweet and contrast nicely with the clean

Dry: huh, the sweet has faded almost completely, leaving a resiny spiciness and the clean has morphed into dried salt water notes like sea spray on the jacket you wore sailing yesterday. It’s a turned into a rather dry scent.

Later: it keeps morphing. The dried sea spray has faded but not gone away and the dragon’s blood is back in its full variety – sweet spicy resin with a tiny bit of juicy cherry. I quite like this dry down.

Summary: much less sweet than Blood Rose (this is a good thing) and very interesting (and rewarding to intermittent sniffing). I’ll definitely finish the imp and contemplate a big bottle.

Edited by lapillus

Like a number of reviewers before me, I get the salty part only in the drydown; what happens at first is sweet, sweet dragon's blood and floral, mainly lilies. Mind you, this is not a problem for me, as I've loved every Ars Draconis I've tried (save Tanin'iver, which I merely like) -- and this is no exception. Maybe this would be good as one of those bath thingies? In any case, I like.

Dragon's blood perfumes already smell fruity to me, like cool, sliced melon. Here it's played up with the addition of salty, aquatic notes for a scent that almost smells like cucumber and melon. I like it.

On, it's a little richer. It never fails to amaze me how different dragon's blood perfume smells from the burning resin. It's identifiably similar, but the burning incense has a much throatier edge, and here it's just clean and moist and sweet.

This is very pleasant, though slightly soapy.

This is pretty. I recognize Dragon's Blood right off, and something that smells a little like cherry. There's also something light in this that brightens it up, far in the background that lifts it up - probably the "tears". :]

It's nice, but I wouldn't wear it. Maybe it'd be better suited to a male friend of mine.

In the imp: Red oil that smells slightly soapy

On Skin: Somewhat musky, slightly aquatic

On Drydown: Undescript floral that verges on soapy.

Verdict: This is a generic sort of smell on me. I'm not crazy about Dragon's Blood in general, so I'm pretty sure that this blend isn't for me.

It's dragon's blood SN, as dragon's blood blends tend to do on me - in fact, Ladon is the only one that's stayed safe (and even that, I had no issues parting with in the name of enabling. Eh.) A faint hint of aquatic in the background, but only because I know it's there. Entirely "meh".

In the bottle: straight from the bottle (or imp in my case) I get a very salty, crisp scent that's a little like household cleaner. It's very strong and aquatic.

Wet on skin: Salty and musky. At first it smells very clean and crisp, but then the dragon's blood grounds it with a bit of earthiness.

After drying: A very clean scent, with the dragon’s blood giving a soft musky base. It’s earthy, but still very bright and salty. There's a slight sweet airy quality to it, but not in a floral or fruit way.

Overall impression: Very balanced clean scent with a touch of earthiness. It's quite lovely and I would try it again for sure.

Edited by Delirium1009

I'm reviewing this because I bought it from another forumite as part of an imp pack, and I'm sworn to test every BPAL that comes my way. I'm not a fan of dragon's blood at all - to me it smells like sickly-sweet artificial cherry air freshener. So Dragon's Tears does not do anything for me. There's the sickly-sweet dragon's blood with a hint of something dry and almost floral in the background. I don't like aquatics but I wouldn't describe this as particularly aquatic. Of the other Ars Draconis blends I've tried, Dragon's Musk is much more interesting and Dragon's Milk is more piercingly sweet.

Make sure you know what BPAL's dragon's blood note smells like before you order any full bottles of the Ars Draconis blends. Some people like it, and some people can't stand it.

Edited by ClareN

This one is very straight-forward. It's dragon's blood, in all it's semi-fruity sweet glory, combined with light aquatics. It really does smell like fresh water -- imagine being in a swimming pool (one that isn't chemical laden). I don't get a salty quality from it, so much.

It's a really nice combination, actually. The aquatics lighten up the dragon's blood and keep it from being overly syrupy or cloying. Once dry, it's basically a light, airy aquatic scent with a touch of sweetness. Really lovely if you dig light, fresh scents.

Throw is surprisingly good. Not sure yet about wear life, but dragon's blood typically lasts a very long time in my skin.

On me, dragon's blood smells like plumeria, so Dragon's Tears smells like plumeria and saltwater. It's like I'm wearing a plumeria lei at the beach. I'll definitely keep this one around.

I used an imp of this in an oil warmer and Dragon's Tears is beautiful as a room scent. The salt is a powerful force in it, though with the dragon's blood coming out in waves afterwards. Dragon's blood doesn't do well on my skin so I probably won't be picking up a bottle of this but as a room scent, it's very nice.

Judging by the description this doesn’t sound like my kind of scent but I’m testing imps at random so had to give it a shot. It’s definitely very aquatic as the description says and I think would be very suited to a man. It’s a nice mixture with the dragon’s blood. Not something I would really wear though. Ten minutes later and I swear I’m getting something like jasmine – this stage is quite nice and lasted about an hour. Overall, this is very strong and has great throw but still not for me.

Dragon's Tears

This smells exactly like Dragon's Blood to me, yet there's something slightly different. I'm not sure what it is, or if it's just my imagination. I think I need to actually compare this to Dragon's Blood to recognize the difference. Okay, so they are exactly the same thing, except this one is salty - just as described. The difference is quite subtle.

[ 3 - Like ]

This is very floral, I do get a bit of salt and spice but not much. It's really strong and it seems like a single note on my skin.

imp: that sweet, floral dragon's blood scent with an aquatic note.

wet: the salty aquatic scent comes out more once applied. unfortunately on my skin, that with the dragon's blood florals smells exactly like an ancient public toilet where someone has sprayed lots and lots of air freshener.

dry: the scent fades to a more tame version of itself but i don't think i could sit through that wet phase again. darn.

In the bottle, Drago Tears really smells like an occult shop-all incense and herbs. I didnt think that it was going to work as a fragrance to wear, but I was pleasantly suprised. It nice and herby and salty on the skin. When it dries, its still herbaceous, but also powdery, though not in an old ladyish way. I will wear this again.