Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood.

Bottle: sweet, sharp, and aquatic.
Wet: the dragon's blood resin is more evident it and of itself. I'm not sure what the aquatic is, but it's on the sweet side.
Dry: a hint of floral. floral?
Later: the aquatic has turned to old-lady's-bathroom floral, like the bowl full of the soap collection. gardenia and lily of the valley soaps. bizarre.

The notes in this combine really weirdly on my skin. The dragon's blood gives it a sweetness that it mixed with a salty aquatic note. Very strange- I don't think I've ever smelled the two combined before. I think this one requires further testing...it's not bad on me...it just might be a little too strange for my liking. On my skin the notes don't really seem to combine as much as seem like seperate individual scents. Hmmm.....

I have no clue what dragon's blood smells like, so I went into this a bit baffled.

In the imp: salty spicy

Wet on skin and dry on skin: wet and dry were exactly the same. I mostly get the aquatic notes. It's a very "clean" smell on me. More floral than I expected - is that lily?

Slightly salty, almost sweet at times.

Overall: 9/10. Love this scent. I'm having serious trouble picking out individual notes, but I adore the blend. I think this will be great for summer. :P

In the bottle: Smells like an incense shop to me, with a hint of red jolly rancher in teh background (I think that's dragon's blood but I really have no idea what it's supposed to smell like).

Wet: More floral, less incense. Not really sure what to make of it. I kind of like it but I'm completely missing the aquatic notes. Floral scent is increasing. I think I like it but there's something almost antique about the smell...and I'm not that old!

Dry: A tangy floral. There's nothing I can really put my finger on.

Overall - I can't decide if I like it or not! I don't love it but I think it's worth giving another shot.

In the bottle, this isn't salty, it IS salt. It smells like I put my nose into a glass of salt water with a very vague after-scent of dragon's blood resin. Wet, this turns to salty dragon's blood: sticky and sweet but salty as well, like a salt water taffee. Dry, the sticky-sweet of the dragon's blood has toned to a more spices-and-salt mix that's strangely calming. Warm, this is slightly sticky-salty like half-dried tears, the dragon's blood is cool but spiced and adds a nice depth to this however this quickly fades to spicy sweat on me and then disappears altogether in the matter of only an hour or so.

This smelled very promising on my 9 year old. I could smell the dragon's blood and it was good.

On my skin? Oh my god, it turned so. wrong. on me. This is the kind of scent that will drive my husband from the house. It has that aquatic sharp edge that reminds me of obnoxious laundry detergent, and thoroughly stirred in is a massive dose of white floral. Oh and as time goes on, it gets stronger and stronger until it is penetrating my sinuses and I can taste it in my mouth. I felt panicky...must.wash.everything that has come into contact with it.

Enough already. I will go put this on the swap list right now.

I feel so stoic, trying the aquatics even though they seem to do this to me!

In the imp: Salty-sweet. A bit odd, but quite a refreshing scent.

Wet: Aquatics, salt, and slightly fruity sweetness.

Dry: The sweetness and the salt blend together into an interesting tangy scent... which is completely gone within the hour.

My mom thought this smelled like wet plastercine, so I guess it's not all that appealing on me!

First, I tried to identify exactly what Dragon's Blood is. I think it is true cherry with a twist of spice. In the bottle this was the strongest. As it dried, the saltiness sprang to life. Maybe just a trace of plumeria in there? It doesn't have much throw. This is going to sound very odd - but it's like having a cherry-cinnamon sno-cone on the beach in August.

In the vial: Very salty and aquatic with a bit of sweetness.

On me: This is a really great scent. It is everything that I love about aquatics combined with everything that I love about dragon's blood.

Verdict: Keeper!

Rating: 4/5

In the bottle: Lots of bittersweet, salty tear notes. Hmm!

Wet: Still the tear note, on a woody, soapy base of dragon's blood.

Drydown: A clean, nearly medicinal scent - the tear note often makes me think of saline solution. Over the soapy dragon's blood, it gives an even stronger impression of something antiseptic. There's a very vague fruity note in the dragon's blood, as usual, otherwise it's just smooth wood.

Overall: An interesting scent, warm, despite the wetness. It really confirms that dragon's blood doesn't really work on me at all, but the tear note is still really pretty. It smells like sweet baby powder on me in the end, which is nice, but not really a scent I want to smell of.

In the vial: Sweet yet with a sharp edge

Wet: The salty aquatic nature comes thru. Like when you get to the beach after a long drive and you take in that first deep breath of salt air.

Dry: The aquatic notes definetly linger and mix with a soft tropical floral. Very nice for a hot sticky July day.

A keeper but I tend to be partial to Dragons Blood. :P

Dragon's Tears is an absolutely gorgeous Dragon's Blood scent. For the first two hours, it smells strongly of lilac and is sweet and tempting. I can't stop sniffing my skin! After about two hours, a saltiness quietly moves into the mix, balancing out the sweetness. This is a gorgeous blend, and one I'll wear over and again. It lasts about 4 hours on my skin, and has the perfect level of throw.

I am a Dragon’s Blood fan.

Actually, I’m a Dragon fan, too, but I’m trying to keep this scent related. :P

I am not, however, generally a fan of sweet scents, fruity scents, or juniper scents. Still, I thought I should try all the Ars Draconis!

Reading descriptions and reviews, I had ranked Dragon’s Tears as ?? (probably won’t like, but willing to try).

Imp: Subtle Dragon’s blood with an overlay of something almost menthol.

On: The saltiness comes through; it’s a bit medicinal, but like a Chinese medicine practioner’s preparation, rather than one from a Western pharmacy. Fades to a crisp, clean aquatic.

And I like it!

somewhere between the smell of the ocean and the smell of a stranger's sweat... mixed with the plastic floral/red candy smell that is BPAL Dragon's Blood...

and it made the baby dragon cry.

not for me....maybe for someone else?

I bought an imp of this second hand, so it's likely aged.

In the bottle: I get mostly dragon's blood from this. The salty notes are registering as almost citrus-y to my nose. There's an aquatic undertone, though.

Wet: The cloying sweetness of dragon's blood, but tempered somewhat. I'm praying this doesn't go soapy on me. I think it's the combination of the salty and the dragon's blood that's mimicking citrus.

Drying down: Ack! The soapiness that gets me out of some of the Ars Draconis blends is in there. Then again, that's mostly when I have my nose glued to my wrist. From head-height it's sweeter: a beautifully melancholy sweetness - tears shed into water beneath a blazing sunset.

Dry: Weird. Left wrist = not soapy, right wrist = soapy. And when I detatch my nose from my wrist the scent is staying true to the melancholy sweetness I described above. Resiny, yes, and distinctly dragon's blood, but tempered. The looming threat of soapiness isn't bearing too much fruit, provided I can resist the urge to take closer sniffs.

It's pretty, though not so earthy, spicy, or incense-y as many of the scents I love most.

ETA: I really ought to wait until a few hours in before I post... The dragon's blood quieted down and the salty aquatic notes came out to sing. It was really a beautiful. I got to a point where I kept wrist-sniffing compulsively. It made it difficult to read, I was so distracted by the lovely scent. Mmmmmm. I may just seek out a big bottle of this.

Edited by Shollin

Dragon's Tears

In the imp: salty dragon's blood!

Wet on skin: fresh dragon's blood! Now that's unusual-usually DB isn't cool and wet…

Dry on skin: mmm, not bad! There's a load of dragon's blood here but it's really cool and fresh smelling, thanks to the aquatic notes-it's slightly salty but not soapy, but it's a very clean scent. Very unusual, this mix of red, heavy resin with crisp watery notes…

After a while: this softens so nicely, and the dragon's blood gains even more of a floral scent than usual. The scent is now of a soft powdery flower, like a lilac or lily, with a hint of the resin at the base. A soft, clean floral scent with a bit of incense. It's an odd, but lovely transformation. I can't smell the salt water though.

This soft, muted, almost powdery lily like floral scent remains all through the scent. it's really nice, but this soft white flower is resting on a red, almost ashy, incense like base. It also has a note that for some reason reminds me of crayons and candle wax, but despite that, I really like it!

Verdict: this was a pleasant surprise. Whilst not my favourite of the Draconis scents this did react a lot more nicely (in an unexpected way) on me than expected-it turned from salted dragon's blood to a very pleasant white floral scent, a touch powdery, a touch sweet, but very very floral indeed. Almost like a lilac-lily scent. I have no idea what happened or what notes caused the briny aquatic to turn flowery but I like it. it's gentle and sweet, but the dragon's blood at the base lends it a red, smouldering, and in here, a somewhat waxy smell reminiscent of the dragon's blood candles at the local new age shop, and also, oddly, red pencils. It's a lovely scent-not sure if I'll keep it since I have other DB scents I prefer but I'm glad the aquatics didn't turn to soap in here.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: Dragon's Blood, Sea of Glass, Dirty

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the bottle: very aquatic. Reminds me of Tempest, but with something more feminine.

On my skin: still aquatic notes, together with rose… I don't think roses are listed in the notes but I would swear that's what I smell. Or lilly maybe… definitely heavy floral… with the lightness of aquatic notes. Interesting mix.

After a couple of hours: something sweet (I didn't get the salt everybody else mentioned). I can smell the resin too.

Verdict: a very unexpected feel-good scent. I haven't been too crazy about Ars Draconis scents so far but this one is very comforting, and I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Dragon's Tears-

In Bottle: The cherry-powder scent of Dragon's Blood, plus an aquatic note. Very Pool-of -Tears-y, that note.

Wet: Very interesting--that dragon's blood note mixed with the aquatic. That makes me rather tolerant of this aquatic--many are just too eye-burningly strong for me.

Dry: I can't get over what a lovely light aquatic this makes! It's so softly floral and unaggressive. So pretty! It doesn't last a whole long time, but that's okay.

Overall: I really like!

In the Imp: It's certainly aquatic and I would also say "salty", though I don't know what note is giving me that impression.

Initial Wet: The dragon's blood gives it a sweet resinous tang, but it's overlaid by a that salty aquatic scent. Having grown up by the ocean, there's something about it that reminds me of sand at the base of a tuft of beach grass.

Initial Dry: It begins to become very floral dominated, though I can't tell what type. The resin and beach scents fade quickly under the florals.

Drier Dry: It's faded quite a bit and I have to put my nose right up to my wrists to smell it. The dragon's blood is barely there, only a hint of sweet and no resin, and it's now mostly just florals.

Aquatics fade very fast on me, but dragon's blood makes things last longer on me, so I was hoping this was going to be an aquatic blend that worked well for me. I was surprised that all I really got out of this in the end was florals.

Dragon's blood is interesting. It does smell like tears.

Like that point when you've been crying and your cheeks are soggy and your sinuses are aching and you're gasping for breath. It smells like that.

This makes me feel a bit of that cathartic yet melancholic feeling that isn't too unpleasant, without having actually cried.

this smells the same regardless of location - imp, skin (wet and dry).

bitter, sharp. i guess that's the dragon's blood? salty. this gives me a bad feeling. i feel ominous when i wear it. hm. i can't even really articulate the smell, it's just a very portentous scent.

i don't know if i like this! i like to smell it, but i don't think i like to wear it. to be honest, i'm kind of scared of this scent. *creeped out*

This was a frimp, and i had no concept of what Dragon's Blood Resin smelled like coming into this, so it's difficult to pick out individual notes.

Wet, this smelled quite salty; surprising to me for a perfume, but not in a bad way. Not sure what I smell or how I feel about this as it dries down. Dry, the scent was slightly sweeter and spicier at the same time, if that makes sense - sort of like salty incense. I need to get this off; it keeps getting stronger, and is starting to get to me. Apparently, this is not a good scent on me, so off to the swaps for this one.

Edited by mtlaise

On first application, this is stark red -- not in scent, but in color. I suspect it’s more than dark enough to stain, and I’d better be careful if I apply it while wearing white (which I’ve just done. Hmm.)

For a dragon’s blood scent, this doesn’t have a lot of confidence. It’s not a thin scent, precisely, but it seems diluted. I can pick up the salt faintly, but only by concentrating. Without that concentration, it just seems like bored dragon blood, and I prefer it with a bit more zest.

Given some more time, the scent broadens, but I’m still not particularly impressed by it. Were it the first dragon’s blood scent I had encountered, I might be -- but the Lab has too many superior offerings.