Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood.

I'm not sure about this yet, I usually don't like aquatic scents. It is very light on me and I can't smell it unless I sniff my wrist. It smells quite oceanic but with the sweetness of the DB underneath it. Hmm not bad but not one I'd go for automatically - I'll have to wear this again and revisit it

This was very interesting to try on. At first I got that particular floral-resin note that is Dragon's Blood to my nose.

And then it started disappearing, but not fading. It was almost as if it was crystalizing slowly under a layer of glass, still there but almost unreachable beneath the chill of an icy and aquatic note. This is a scent that actually feels COLD somehow. This really does make me think of a dragon huddling in a deep cave during the winter.

Very strange scent, but sort of engrossing too.

In the bottle: Sweet resiny floral. I'm guessing that's the Dragon's Blood.

Wet: There's a weirdness on my arm. I can't place any of the scents, and it's a bit odd. Sort of a woody floral with a sweet tang to it. I like it, though.

Dry: The oddness fades into a soft water scent with Dragon's Blood hovering in the background. Quite nice, actually. Unfortunately, it fades quickly after. I wish it'd last longer, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

I'm keeping this one for a few more tries. Maybe my skin chemistry is off and that's what's causing the weirdness in the wet stage.

In the bottle:

Salt and cherry popsicles. Bzzt?

Wet:

Less cherry, but now it's floral, like lilies. So confused.

Drydown:

My husband and I both liked this immediately, but it smelled so familiar and I just couldn't place it. I was thinking some kind of bath product...and then I realized it smells exactly like the beach. Only it's not just salty air; there's suntan lotion and sweet soda and a picnic lunch and ocean water. It's like a great day at the beach when you're a kid.

I think I love this -- I'll just want to wear it on very unusual occasions. Right now it smells like summer in the middle of October. :P

Oh, and I forgot to say, this is STRONG. Nine out of ten BPAL oils fade on me in five minutes, and I'm still catching whiffs of this an hour later.

Edited by sophia_helix

A light, aquatic, ozoney take on a dragon's blood blend. As always, the dragon's blood resin is enchanting, the best I've ever smelled. The undertones are ethereal, watery, and breezy. I don't like this one quite as much as the musky dragon's blood blends, but overall it's quite lovely and very sexy. I will keep my imp and see how it works out for me.

I'm at loss on this blend...

I associate aquatic notes with light blends like The Hamptons... however Dragon's tears has me confused.

The rich resiny sweetness overpowers just about every other note in this blend. Eventually a light, ocean breeze note comes to the surface... but it's fleeting and faint.

This blend faded quickly on my skin. Within 30 min, it was gone.

dragonstears.jpg

I like Dragon's Blood, but aquatics and I don't get along. So, my assessment of Dragon's Tears was doomed from the beginning. Sorry, but neither componant worked on my skin or in my head, so I can only say "aquatic Dragon's Blood" and leave it at that.

This would be a great blend for you if you were someone who liked both of the notes, but leave it alone if you are not. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but since this blend is what it is and there is nothing hidden about it...then this is the sort of review which fits.

The icon is a medieval stone dragon munching on some poor man whose tongue is sticking out of his head. The dragon is crying for joy. He's hungry.

Edited by olympia301

In the imp: Smells exactly like Tempest to me, lots of ozone. I've never tried a dragon's blood scent before.

Drydown: That sort of lily scent that others have mentioned is starting to come out. It's a nice, fresh, salty, floral sort of scent. Interesting combination.

Dry: Uh oh, now it smells like the lilies in a pot that you kept for a little too long after Easter. Not quite festering yet, but not happy lilies either. Looks like this one is just not for me.

I really like this. It's way lighter than other things I usually wear, but there is something about it... like a lot of bpal, it reminds me of something from my youth but I can't put my finger on it. It is a very nostalgic and wistful, sad scent to me.

I get dragon's blood with heavy wet florals and a hint of a cold chill. There is something ever so slightly minty or mentholated about it, but it is super subtle. As somone earlier put it, it smells cold.

This one didnt change much from bottle to my skin.

bitter, watery florals with dragon's blood. This is the first aquatic blend that didn't smell like beer on me. Its very pretty. It almost goes too perfumy, but it doesn't, and stays very nice and subtle

I wasn't sure if I would like any of the Ars Draconis scents, but this is beautiful. It was received as a frimp and I intend on buying a bottle of it.

It is salty and sweet. It starts out strong and fades slowly into almost a floral seaweed (I am sure floral seaweed doesn't exsit but if it did it would smell like this).

The scent lasts forever on me. I highly suggest this scent!

:P

Well, I was hoping for the watery part to come out and play more, but I think it was really just too afraid by Dragon's Blood, the bully. This scent is pure sticky-sweet cherry/floral on me. It stayed true on my skin for a couple hours, then faded away.

Dragon's Tears is my least favorite of the Ars Draconis series so far, though I've only sampled this, Musk, and Milk. It was also my most anticipated. :P

Mmmm. I've only been wearing Dragon's Tears for half an hour, but I'm really enjoying it. I liked the aquatics in Undertow but disliked its lack of staying power... and Tears was a wee bit too floral for me, but this one has the staying power, thanks to the DB, and the resins tones down the floral a bit. (Admittedly, I also liked the super-floral tones in Dragon's Eye, so maybe it's just that I like florals more with Dragon's Blood in the mix). This isn't too sweet on me, which is a nice change from my other DB favorite, Dragon's Milk -- although it is beginning to sweeten up as I wear it. This is really lovely, but I think it's so unique and potent that I might get tired of wearing it after a half-day.

Edited to add: I wore this again today (1/6), and it continued to morph throughout the day, much like I remember Tears doing (before it was discontinued - *lament*). It faded and faded, but is still here, many hours later. I really really like this one.

Edited by bodegaselkie

In the bottle:

Refreshing, fresh, clean

On me:

This is pretty straight up on me. Dragon's Blood is always a soft floral like smell on my skin, without actually being *too* floral. It smells very similar to lilac on me I think. And this is Dragon's Blood + a touch of saltiness. It's just a soft touch of it too, so that this comes off as fresh ocean air on my skin. Very breezey and pretty. It's got a floral vibe, but floral is not the first thing I think when I smell it. I just think of a cool, fresh breeze next to the ocean.

Final note:

Very lovely and soft, a keeper.

Imp: resin, aquatic, tart

Wet: A fresh scent, fragrant springs

Dry: the resin comes through. I think would like it, but I am comparing it to the Dragon's milk on my other wrist and the milk is winning. I think I like my salty aquatics separated from my sweet resins.

In the imp: hmm, sweet aquatic, lots of dragon's blood.

On me, wet: yow, that's thick liquid. Once on, I get a brief rush of dragon's blood and salt, then a sea-scent combined with a powderyness that makes this smell like some sort of soap to me.

On me, dry: still soapy. fades fast. Mrf. My SO went 'ew, soap' when he sniffed at this. The dragon's blood does resurface but it's dusty and soapy too.

Verdict: Nope, not one for me. I was thinking that there might be an interesting balance between the aquatics and the dragon's blood, but, alas, not on my skin.

Ah, vetiver. I know some forumites damn the note, but I actually like the lucidness it gives to a scent. It makes it lush and lovely, provided there's something else mixed with it.

Dragon's Tears isn't as salty as I'd imagined it would be. This was a freebie scent, not something I'd normally pick up for myself, but it's all right. I don't think I'd be getting a bigger bottle of this, but I find the fragrance oddly clean and light for having dragon's blood, and that's a definite plus. The vetiver does wear down a wee bit and the dragon's blood does get a bit heavier, but not as intense as some of the other Ars Draconis fragrances I've tested.

I don't think it's quite for me, but I could see others really getting into this fragrance. It's well-crafted.

-doreen

:P I am a dragon's blood lover, but the saltiness of this one just overpowers it. It smells like I just came out of the ocean. For those that love the sea, this would be great, just not for me.

In the bottle: Hmm... something warm, in a watery way, and slightly floral. There's a kind of lightness/clearness to it, but it's backed by something much stronger.

On my skin: How strange. I have no clue what this smells like. There's something vaguely rose to it, but it's sharper than that. It's not delicate, but not masculine either, just a nice balance between the two. Maybe lilies? Slightly salty. Unsurprisingly, as every aquatic scent I've tried so far has done it to some degree, this becomes just a bit soapy on me.

Final Thoughts: I don't know what it is, but I really like this scent. The soapy factor isn't noticable unless you have your nose glue to my arm, so I'm not worried about that. Definitely one I'd consider buying a bigger bottle of!

There isn’t much that I can add to the Lab description. This is very strong Dragon’s Blood (reminds me of Calgon bath oil beads) and yes there is a little saltiness. I could see this as a room scent, but it doesn’t work as a perfume for me.

In the bottle: I picked this up some time ago at a RL swap. It looks like cherry Kool-aid, but smells like pretty pure Dragon's Blood, to me. There's a floral undertone to it that gives it a bit of depth which I like.

First on: Oh boy this does not do well on my skin. It gets rank. Oddly enough I think it smells like an asian grocery store. There's just that odd little fishy/ocean smell... mostly hidden under the fragrance of the spices thanks to the refrigeration units, but still very much present. It's not a bad smell, but NOT what I'd like to smell like.

Dry: It gets a nice floralish smell when it dries. But I have several other dragon's-blood scents, and this one isn't special enough for me to keep.

So overall? Swap pile!

bottle:

dragons blood (duh) and a marine hint

wet:

a fresh version of dragon's blood

dry:

still pretty much the same, nice and light yet still the dragon's blood essense.

overall:

great combo! Definitely a keeper.

rating: 8/10

Edited by HennaFairy

The lab wants me to try every Ars draconis scent. This is the fourth frimp I've received. The aquatic elements are a lovely melony-cucumbery scent that is at the fore the moment I put it on. But that fades quickly and I'm left with almost pure, lightly floral dragon's blood. Still, I like this one the best of the four I've tried. Dragon's eye next?