Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Tears

Dragon’s Tears

Bittersweet yet powerful: salty aquatic notes and bursting with dragon's blood.

Dragon’s blood and grapefruit-like when wet. Once dry there is a slightly musky smell too.

After quite some time I’m getting the faint lily note that others mentioned. Love the wet stage, not sure about the dry.

My skin chemistry sometimes makes lily smell very sour, sadly that is what happened to Dragon’s Tears.

mmm... I was sad to see "tears" go but this is better! tears was a scent I liked to sniff, but not wear... dragon's tears I definitely enjoy on my body, not just in the bottle.

I smell the salty tears, the fruity sweet dragon's blood, and... honeysuckle?! I don't know, but it's a great mixture. definitely recommend this one!

Whoa, this is salty indeed! I usually cannot wear aquatic scents even if I find the salty note very interesting.

The wet stage is all salt water with a hint of something floral. It reminds me of lily or maybe lily of the valley.

As Dragon's Tears dries down, the saltiness begins to fade away. It progressively morphs into a light, subtle aquatic floral fragrance. I now get the honeysuckle note others were mentioning.

I like this a lot and it is a very pleasant surprise. Dragon's Tears is subdued enough to be an everyday scent, yet sophisticated enough to keep one interested day after day. All the other dragon's blood blends conjured up images of strength and throbbing vitality, whereas this one actually has a slightly eerie feeling to it. It makes me think of the apparition of a mysterious white and pale green sea serpent in a remote lake, on the night of the full moon. I shall wear Dragon's Tears next time I go to the Okanagan Valley in the hope of catching a glimpse of our elusive sea serpent, the Ogopogo.

This scent did not work on me...

I'm not sure what it was but it was the first non-patchouli thing that made the husband demand that I "never wear that again"...

which is fine because there is something in it to which I'm allergic as after about 15 minutes my arms broke out in crazy little red bumps... I gues that must be the "aquatic" as several others of my favorites contain dragons blood with no such reaction...

On me... the dragons blood is overshadowed by a sour bitter smell... like baby spit up... but in an incredibly strong heady resiny perfumey way...

After about 3 hours (and some washing of the wrists to remove the casue of the itchy red bumps) ... this died down and it smelled quite nice... but I don't think I had much left but the dragons blood...

So... for obvious reasons, this one goes to the swap pile... but I am glad I tried it... just wish I could definatively know what the yucky-on-me note is so that I can avoid in the future... will all aquatics do that or is it something specific??? guess I'll have to test and see!!! :P

In bottle: Salty Dragon's Blood. In my imagination, I couldn't picture whether I would like this blend or not. So far, I most assuredly do. I'm not picking any floral notes from this as I thought I would; it's just salt and sweet and quite lovely.

On me: This is a very clean fragrance; for a moment it reminds me of crisp sliced apples. That fades after a few seconds as I am further immersed in the fragrance. It has that squeaky-clean undertone of french-milled soap, which may be the florals manifesting beneath the dragon's blood. I think I could use this in an oil burner, or with my laundry but it isn't something I would wear. There's something a bit sad in this fragrance, almost wistful.

In the bottle, this is really sweet (dragon’s blood). However, after application, this settles down to a watery rendition of dragon’s blood. This is sweet, with watery undertones. It made me think of chlorine in that it’s wafts to become a bit of a “nothing” scent. Plus, it’s a bit watery, yet not quite made of water. After a half hour, the sweetness seems to give off the impression of white florals. A few minutes later, this is turning to be a wafty scent that smells very light when I stick my nose to my skin. It is a sweet, watery scent (with a tad bit of floral) in the vein of Danube sans citrus/grapefruit, like a crystalline, clear stream of water. Two hours later, the stream of water impression is gone. Dragon’s Tears is now less sweet, tempered by the aquatic notes (although it doesn’t seem very watery), giving a slight impression of lotus. Over the next few hours, this impression remains the same while the scent fades.

Spilled this all over my hand when I tried to open it, so I'm now doused in Dragon's Tears. :D

First sniff:

Mmm, this smells like Jolly Roger mixed with dragon's blood. It's salty, but spicy/sweet at the same time. I don't normally care for aquatic scents, but I loved Jolly Roger and I can tell I'm going to love Dragon's Tears, too. :P

Wet on skin:

The dragon's blood seems to disappear once it hits my skin, leaving me with something that smells almost like Jolly Roger only slightly sweeter, which is fine, but I miss the dragon's blood note in this, it smelled spicy and sad at the same time. :D

Dry down:

Hurrah, the dragon's blood is back! This smells like salty tears mixed with the spicy sweetness of dragon's blood...it reminds me almost of the smell of a funeral...kind of like bouquets of roses and tears and I have no idea why. Whatever the reason, it's gorgeous! :D

The bottom line:

I don't normally do aquatic scents, but this has just enough sweetness and resin to it to make it not only bearable but downright gorgeous. I actually really love this one. :D

Mmmmm....

Wet: Dragon's blood and Midnight (pure white flowers)

Dry: they blend a bit better and the dragon's blood get more prominent. I am beginning to think this is not a reflection of the scent, but rather my chemistry. Anything with Dragon's blood ends up smelling the same on me (namely Red Devil, Blood Amber and Red Moon). Though I am pleasantly surprised that this blend is not doing that as much.

This is the type of aquatic blend I could wear because the dragon's blood give it a bit of a bite, tempering the high sharpness of the aquatic/flower note.

Verdict: Beautiful!

this was the very first imp i tried as i have a heart for all things dragony :D

in the bottle was very metallic and sharp

wet still very metalic but w/ a sweet edge my dh loved it and told me to wear it again :P i felt so so abt it

as it dried it lost the metallic edge then i liked it more it faded pretty fast within a few hrs i had just a very faint slightly powdery smell that i still liked

the perfect aquatic.

i've been saying for a while that i want the perfect aquatic perfume. one that evokes images of swimming in a dark blue ocean with a thunder rolling overahead. then i realized that aquatics and my skin don't get along.

dragon's tears is a tangy, salty floral. the dragon's blood has a little bit of fruitiness to it, but the floral is coming out pretty strongly. this scent reminds me of swimming in a fancy schmancy hotel pool in galveston when the sun was setting. man. i so love this. a lot. no lies. i don't know how often i'll wear it, though, as i can't see myself wanting to smell like salt water, but i'm keeping the imp around just to get the same emotional reaction. :P

I do thank the Lab for including it as a freebie, as it was interesting to compare this with Dragon's Milk (which I adore).

It smelled much sweeter than I expected in the vial, and mostly floral. Wet on my skin I got a brief zing of a honeysuckle-ish floral (since that happens when I apply Dragon's Milk, methinks that might be the dragon's blood resin), then the bizarreness began. It smells on my skin like a hospital. Acrid floral air-freshener over disinfectant and tinged with the smell of urine. Luckily the last note was light enough I only had to walk, not run, to the bathroom sink.

4 washings later, and I can still smell a hint on my wrist, which is an ozone-y floral. Now this part is very clean smelling and nice. Maybe if I diluted Dragon's Tears down quite a bit it would smell like this. But I don't think it's really "me" either. Onto the swap pile it goes.

In the bottle: I can't even begin to describe what I smell. It shifts constantly, from sweet, to salty, to bitter, eek! In my pile of imps, I kept not trying this one because I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

Wet: When I first put it on, it reminded me of a roll-on perfume I used to use when playing with my mother's makeup, a jasmine-type scent. (Surprised? Me too! I hadn't sniffed that at all in the bottle)

Drying: The salty notes are coming out, and that's all I smell. Not sea-salty, but warm, thick salty.

Dry: To be honest, I'm not sure it's done changing yet. After salty, it turned rosey. Now it's back to the sweeter jasmine smell again. And then back to the salty.

I ended up giving this to a friend, who it smelled much saltier on. From what I read, I think I might really like Dragon's Milk, so that is my next venture.

This scent is definitely salty and acquatic, with a slight floral undertone. The oil is bright orange, and you'd expect something that looks like this to smell fiery, not salty, but it's definitely salty.

As I'm wearing this it turns into a very floral scent. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the salty and acquatic bits disappear entirely and the scent is purely floral for most of its duration. I'm not great at picking out individual notes, but there seems to defnitely be some strong honeysuckle in there, along with some other things I just can't pick out.

This is definitely a summer scent for me, I'll probably put it away until then.

On me this smells like a light, white floral with a sliver of dragon's blood. It went on a little incense-y, but was never overpowering. It seems like it would make a good spring or early summer fragrance, because it does have the slightly aquatic tinge to it.

If dragon's blood was white, this is what it would smell like. Teeny white flowers with a hint of spice and a gentle sea spray.

I put this on at 11:30pm and it is still going strong.

It smells like pure Dragon's Blood except for a tiny bit of salt water which escapes and then I am left with great smelling Dragon's Blood oil.

I like Dragon's Bone better, but this isn't that bad. I was hoping for more of an ocean scent though.

It started out wet VERY sweet, so sweet it made my mouth water and my jaw ache.

once dry this turned into swee strawberries or koolaid or maybe strawberry pez on the beach, the saltiness was awesome!

3 hours later, all dragon's blood, sweet and warm.

Mmm...

Sweet and lillylike at first, strong but slowly cools off and backs down as it dries.

During one dry stage the salty aquotic notes were very prevolant. Sort of ocean-ish breeze on top of sweet lilly or maybe lotus?

By the end of the day, only a sweet and lingering warm scent remains. I can't really define it, just a glowing red sweet stage.

Not a bad scent. It's bright and noticable, without being obnoxious and screaming. I like this as a sweet oil!

First sniff from the bottle- ::Sniff Sniff:: ......soft powdery flowers. Violets maybe? Lilac?

After 10 minutes- This smells like....a baby. It is a very soft and pretty scent....it smells like violet scented powder or wet wipes for babies. ::Sniff:: Yep, 'Spring Bouquet' scented baby powder all the way. Is that what aquatics smell like? I am not smelling anything 'salty' here.

After 30 minutes- I can't smell the Dragon's Blood in this one at all. All I get is babies dipped in violet powder. Hmmm..it kind of gives me a head rush when I sniff this. I wonder if there is clary sage in it?

Summery- Dragon's Tears is a really mild powdery violet scent. It is nice if you want to smell like a babies bottom which I don't. It faded rather quickly as well.

This has got to me my favorite BPAL thus far. :P

In the bottle: Smells like a fresh bouquet of spring flowers picked in a rainy garden

First on: All I smell is linden blossoms, lilies, lilac and a hint of ocean.

After a bit: Same as above but I'm now getting a slight sweet incense note as well (the Dragon's Blood is now showing it's face). It's reminding me a lot of Kama Sutra's Treasures Of The Sea bath salts.

A bit more: It's smelling more aquatic with notes of ozone and a touch of soapiness.

Several hours later, the scent is rather faint, a slight salty/aquatic/floral, no notes of Dragon's Blood.

When I smell this I think of sitting on a white sand beach in some exotic location with the aquamarine waves splashing at my feet. Hints of sacred inscense and delicate flowers being offered to the God's waft in on the breeze.

Edited by Spastik_Kitty

Hmm.... aquatic, salty, kinda floral - LOVELY! I was pleasantly surprized by just how much I like this one.

It makes me think of a beach in a fantasy book - surrounded in flowers and faeries and magic and - um...dragons! (someone's been reading too much fantasy lately?). For some reason it also makes me think of Kings Quest. Yes, the computer game. I have NO idea why. I am offically a ) weird and b ) a nerd and c ) want to play Kings Quest.

Regardless, this has rocketed up to one of my faves. :P I'm thinking bottle!

Edited by Moonpuff

Initial Imp Sniff - Mmm...bright, clear, freshness...must be the aquatics.

Swipe - The dragon's blood is coming out now, but it's in the background to the aquatics, which smell so lovely when wet on my skin.

Drydown - Damn..I really think it's the dragon's blood making this 'perfumey' to me. Which really sucks, cuz I like it in the imp, and I like it wet on my skin, but I don't like it dry on my skin.

Overall - It's either the Dragon's Blood or the Aquatic Florals, or heck, even the combination, that make this very "mature woman perfume" to me. I can envision it on many of my family's matriarchs..but umm...it's not something I care to smell like. Damn!

Dragon's Tears:

This is a lovely, subtle scent on me.

Wet: a slight hint of dragon's blood.

Drydown: a lovely hint of the salty sea peeks in.. Beth hits the nail on the head with this perfect aquatic aroma.

Longterm wear: The dragon's blood peeks in from time to time, but this is definitely an aqua smell. It's very light and subtle, great for daily wear. I love it.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Salty.

In the imp: Very... red. I can't explain it, but I definitely think of a red-ish colour, just barely red from hot pink. I can definitely sense something salty, hiding behind the light sweetness. I don't sense anything bitter, yet.

On skin, wet: Sweet. Very floral-y, and slightly aquatic. It'd be very easy to overdo with this one, as it starts out very strong.

On skin, dry: There's something metallic, though the sweetness is still there, though much less powerful now. Again the acquatic, though a bit more bitter than when wet. I don't really smell anything floral anymore (which isn't a bad thing).

Conclusion: All-in-all, very nice. After it dries completly, I'd definitely have to agree with inkstone, that it's subtle, and a second-skin fragrance. I can definitely see wearing this often, and I must obtain a bottle!

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: tangy, salty flowers.

On skin initially: STRONG, overpowering floral scent. I couldn't identify exactly what floral scent (nor could my son) but we both swore we *knew* the flower in question. Reading over the reviews here, I know what it is now: honeysuckle. No salt, no tang.

After an hour: Faded off a bit but right at my threshold for powdery florals. It reminds me somewhat of the lilac candle I was given for Christmas that is serving time as a paperweight because the powdery floral scent gave me headaches.

I was truly disappointed, because I really wanted to like this one. I hope dragon's blood in general doesn't turn powder floral on me. Into the swap pile it goes. :P

As a rabid lover of dragon's blood, I knew that I would love this.

In the vial, it is salty sweetness.

On my skin, the dragon's blood was the strongest note, but the aquatic notes reinforced the saltiness. I really had to restrain myself from licking my wrists where I had applied the oil. It is absolutely gorgeous.