Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

a caveat: white sandalwood on my just sucks the scent out of everything else and overpowers it. it's not as dry as shroud, but moisture definitely wanted to leave my mouth when i smelled it. it's an interesting smell, the sandalwood and dragon's blood. not really what i thought it'd smell like...

Dragon's Bone is my first experience with Dragon's Blood resin. This is indeed a very dry blend, yet rich and strong. The sandalwood gives quite a potent kick here, which I really didn't expect. What I really like about this is the orris, which I don't really pick up until the drydown. Orris reminds me of violet, and Beth included it so skillfully in this blend.

Dragon's Bone, for me, is very much dragon's blood in the vial.

But once on me, there's only the faintest hint of dragon's blood dancing across the top of the sandalwood and orris. Soooooo nice and simple, but very complex in its own way.

Dry, deep, kind of earthy. Gives me that "Oooooo" feeling that Noir does. to me it's like that sexy stranger hanging out in the shadows of the club whose eyes you can feel all over you.

Another scent I can't wear in front of da Dragon, but da Minx should bathe in it;)

In The Bottle: The sandlewood brings the sweetness of the cherry smell of the Dragon's Blood very easily and blends it all together. I can see why this is called Dragon's Bone, because I envision large bones of some mythical, gargantuan beast in a desert, bleached by the sun's hot rays. Its the smell of the past, the skeletal remains of things long forgotten, dug up and refusing to dust on general principal.

On Me: The Sandlewood is at the forefront at the moment, and the dragon's blood adds a spicy/sweet smell that is just perfect. The above vision still stands true, in fact even more so now. There is a sort of peppery smell to the blend that just solidifies it. No, not pepper...salt. A salty smell. This is what I imagine when I think of bones to begin with.

And then...is this the orris root? Its vaguely floral, a light violet scent. Now in my vision, there are flowers blooming in small quantities within the belly of the beast. This is very inspirational. Very. Big bottle for me!

This is a light, dry scent on me. The first molecules that hit my nose are sandalwood, but it immediately taken over by the orris root. Unfortunately, the orris root goes straight through my nose and to the back of my throat, where I can taste it!

Unfortunately, it doesn't taste nearly as good as smells!

It also lasts a long time. I put it on yesterday morning and I can still smell it this morning.

I love this scent :P

The Dragon's Blood oils work really well for me and this is no exception. In the vial I can smell the rich, ripe Dragon's Blood mingled with a dusty dryness. It's quite pleasant but this scent becomes absolutely beautiful once on. While Dragon's Blood is usually pretty heady on me, something - the orris or maybe sandalwood - prevents that and it almost becomes a delicate floral. It's almost like a faded bouquet in an old house with the sunshine streaming through the windows and dust motes in the air. Beautiful :D

FIRST SNIFF: dry sandalwood, dragon's blood

WEARING IT: this is a very dusty, dry scent that mingles so well with the juicy dragon's blood resin. the sandalwood definitely has a beautiful calming effect on the scent as a whole.

VERDICT: really nice, might be in the running for a bigger bottle! :P

This is a really light white blend which brings an interesting twist to the Dragon series. Its very dry, the most prominent note is definitely the Dragons Blood but the sandalwood gives it a very stoic white base, the orris gives it a very serene edge to the blend. I

This has a very calming effect and I can see it being a good oil to curl up in before going to sleep. This is really nice and definitely worth a try.

at first: this was an extra from the lab. sweet, but dry. i can't really pick anything out.

on: very nice. it's like a thinner version of dragon's blood. i really like it.

2 hours later: very interesting. a powdery floral, almost soapy, but with the dragon's blood behind it. very lovely.

8 hours later: i can still catch the smell, if i try. it's almost a bit candy-ish now; kind of like sweet tarts or something. however, it's sweeter than that. very interesting.

overall: i like this, but don't think i'll wear it very often. i wouldn't get it again, but i'll enjoy using up my imp.

Dragon’s Bone

When first applied I smell dragon’s blood and wood, rich and sweet. Very nice.

It is quite some time before I notice the orris, sweetly floral and blending beautifully with the other notes.

Once this has been on for a while it is a gentle, understated scent; slightly sweet, slightly woody.

Gorgeous, I like this a lot.

On me Dragon's Bone is hot, dry, red, dusty, and deserty – I can't really pick out any of the notes. I picture a bed of red lava rocks baking in an unforgiving sun.

I have it on at the same time as Dragon's Tears, and they go together interestingly well...it's like there's a salty hot spring welling up somewhere nearby in this desert.

My arm smells like a scorched waste inhabited by dragons. :P

Wow, I'm kind of wondering if I tried the same scent! I was really hoping that this would wear well on me, but I can't say that it's my favorite.

In the vial: Cherries, sweet fruit.

On: Very sweet cherry-ish, Then the floral, I'm assuming that's orris comes into play

Dry: This stayed a very strong floral on me, which was kind of disappointing, because I was hoping that the sandalwood would come out more. I think my skin just amps up florals way too much.

I love woody perfumes but have a hard time wearing many of them because many have a lot of cedar and I don't do well with cedar. And I really don't care for violet. And orris (iris) is ... sometimes kind of sharp smelling on me.

This one is a true beauty and I can wear it - I like all of the notes in this context.

The Dark Mother has an excellent nose - her review sums the notes up to perfection, as I smell them, too, although I don't have any scent associations to bones, personally. But it smells as she described.

And I get the "ooo" as well. This has a high swoon factor.

Edited to add that on me, at least, less than one drop is plenty enough.

Edited by Fulltiltredhead

I don't know why I like this, but I do. It's sweet and slightly spicey, and round. I get curvy images from it. There is something floral there, like violets - orris? Normally florals and me just muddle along - I keep thinking I'd like to be different and not wear flowery scents, but BPAL's florals are too nice to pass up. It's like a wearable version of Old Venice on me, adult without being too grown-up; calm and collected and professional. I will certainly finish the imp.

WOW.

Dragon's Bone is soooo rich!

Dragon's blood mixed with (my favorite) Sandalwood! And the woody, dry orris...excellent.

:P (rubs hands a le Mr. Burns.) :D

Dragon's Bone makes me sad because it doesn't agree with me :D

First sniff

Dry and red...which makes sense as this is called Dragon's Bone.

When wet

Still getting that dry feeling but its more pronounced...the Dragon's Blood just makes it a bit more pronouced.

Drydown

Meh. Still the same as before but more drier...I put this on and my mouth gets really dry oddly enough. Very much lives up to its name. I don't think the sandalwood (is that sandalwood? Smells like it) agrees with me.

Aftermath

I wanted to like this but something just doesn't click with me. It would be fabulous as a room scent I think but as I'm trying to cut down on the imps..up for swap it goes :P

Dragon's Bone

To date, Dragon's Tears has been my favorite dragon's blood resin scent. This is because in most cases, my body chemistry amplifies the cherry sweetness of it and all I get is sweet. Dragon's Tears, with its salty, aquatic grounding notes, kept it from being super sweet and made it just one lovely scent on me.

And then I tried Dragon's Bone and have experienced true love and adoration for Dragon's Blood resin. WOW. It's so dry, so perfectly woody, and so smooth. It actually smells as if brittle wood and bone were ground down to make this. I love it. I'm torn between the desire to keep it for myself (I have so much oil right now it's scary) and sending it to my fiance`. I think of sending him scents often because, well, he's as much of a scentwhore as I am and because I like the thought of him smelling good. And, wow, Dragon's Bone would smell SO good on him. But can I part with it? Hmmm.

This scent, along with Laudanum, are the two that most made me go "oh, wow, that is exactly what that would smell like". It's bone dry indeed, so much so that it seemed to dry out the back of my nose and throat, and it's a very "red" smell. The drying remains of fiery beasts.

That said, on, it's just too much for me. I applied the tiniest, tiniest drop, and it was overwhelming. Also, I don't know that I'd want to smell like a dragon's ossuary. But it would make a very nice, intriguing room scent.

I've never smelled anything like this. I didn't know that anything could embody "dry" so well. I think that the notes are really well blended here, and the sandalwood doesn't overpower for me.

I live in a desert, and if I ever became homesick, this is probably what I would wear. It's so strange. I honestly don't really detect the Dragon's Blood either, just the scent of dry dry dry, like an aquatic that perfectly embodies the spirit of water as well as the smell of a large body of water.

I will use up this generous freebie, I am sure - but I don't think there will be a big bottle for me... unless... I wonder how this would smell on a boy?

This morning, I was trying to decide what BPAL to try from a group of gifted imps (Can I please pause to publically thank belladonnastrap AGAIN!?! :P ) and thought I'd ask the SO for his two cents since we're sharing the scent-space at Chez Jaune.

"What're my choices."

"I'm gonna read the names. 'K? Undertow. ... Bayou. ... Unseelie. ... Dragon's Bone."

"Wait. What?"

Dragon's Bone."

"That one." And with that, I rush in with the imp and pounce, demanding a sniff in the imp. "That smells good. Try that."

Oooookaaaaay.

Initial opinion:unsure what to expect. No experience with dragon's blood or any bones other than shanks in stockpots back in the day.

Wet: Hmmm. There's one sharp, musty note that I don't especiallly care for. What is it? Teeny bit of greeny something poking out on close sniff. Didn't notice this on second wet stage.

As it begins initial drying, it's a bit dusty. I can smell the sandalwood. The smell is very dry and I feel thirsty. I am puzzled because ... well ... I shouldn't. I didn't have any expectations going in and this may prove to be a good thing.

MUCH LATER THAT SAME DAY ... Dries and fades to a lovely scent. Had to reapply after about three, four hours. The SO smelled at various stages and said it was "OK." Pretty resounding praise for someone who isn't big on scent.

VERDICT: I really want to see if my opinion changes. I've applied twice today and stuck my wrists under male and female noses. No one was as vocally complimentary as they were, and without prompting, the day I wore Mata Hari. And it was a whole different group of people, save for the SO 'n' me. I'm thinking this might be great for another everyday scent. YAY!

In the vial this is just as everyone else described it: dry, sweet cherry.

As soon as I put in on my skin, it flared a moment, bizarrely juicy and sweet like ripe fruit, before it almost immediately dried down as far as scents go.

As it dried down and I continue wear it, currently being in the third hour of the oil, it smells exactly like what it is supposed to be: dry, dusty bones. It smells like my grandfather's woodpile, a bit. Someone mentioned a salty note, rather than a peppery one, and I can sort of see it. It is not a salt that you taste, but rather one that you smell.

The sandalwood comes through most strongly for me. (Yay!) There is little orris and just a faint hint of sweetness beneath the smell. It is a very dry scent; when I take a sniff, I feel like I'm drying out my throat, ever so slightly, beyond the rush of air. It is delicious and subtle. I love it, but I think it would really be incredible layered with other scents. I'm just not sure which ones yet. :P

Dragon's Bone is unusual. And very interesting. And downright beautiful.

First of all, thanks ever so much to the Lab for sending this as a freebie, together with Dragon's Tears. I love all things draconic and I am delighted that my Ars Draconis collection is now complete. Yay! :D

As everyone said, in the vial Dragon's Bone is... liquid dryness. Quite evocative too. Even though I don't have a clear mental image forming at this point, this is definitely a blend with a lot of personality. The kind of scent one approaches with a certain deference.

On, this is a miraculous balancing act between juicy and dry. Dragon's blood and sandalwood, now that's a blend that works well on my skin! I love woody scents unless they're green, and this is no exception :P

I don't think Dragon's Bone could be an everyday scent for me, but I will certainly use it to work with my Celtic Dragon Tarot. I bet it will perfectly resonate with this deck's imagery, powerful and collected at the same time.

First sniff: Red sweetness over very dry wood, with an astringent bite to the high note. I’m not sure about this one.

Wearing: The name Dragon’s Bone keeps conjuring images (warning! Magic geekery ahead!) of the dracolich Bladewing the Risen. Fortunately, it’s not nearly as creepy as that beastie. I’m having a hard time figuring out what it smells like though… as much as I adore dragon’s blood, this one doesn’t seem to be making much of an impression beyond “sweet and dusty-dry.”

Sweet, dusty dry and just a hint of spice in the vial. This smells utterly yummy! Sadly sandalwood and I have never gotten along and the sweet powdery smell of it overwhelmed any dragon's blood in this on me (the stuff doesn't get warm and spicey on me like it seems to on most people.) As a result, not much Dragon's blood, just a lot of sandalwood. Off to swaps.