Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

Out of the vial: sweet cherries and spice and a touch of wood. I'm not familiar with Dragon's Blood, so I'm assuming it's the cherries and spice.

Wet: sweet cherry and indefinable spices. I normally don't care for sweet scents because they become too sweet on me. I dislike smelling like I've been dipped in syrup. While this is sweet (reminding me of candy), it's not turning sickly. I may even learn to like it.

Drying: It's very curious how much this scent changes as it dries. First it became blazingly warm and faintly salty, like a hot day on a pebbly beach. Then the cherry bled away -- a very good thing in my opinion. It became all sweet spices and soft wood, which was absolutely lovely. I love sandalwood, but this sandalwood is very retiring, lending a soft, smoky backdrop. Then a floral emerged, and suddenly I could smell the dryness, and the bone that others have described. The floral resolved itself into something like violet (which I assume is the orris), coupled with warm woods, and just a touch of spice. At this point it became very nice indeed: dried violets pressed between the dusty pages of an old book in a library where incense is regularly burnt.

Long term: unfortunately the woods receded and the flowers once again became sweeter than I generally like on me. Overall this scent is fascinating and I like it, but I'm not smitten. I'll have to try it again later and see. Edited by Shollin

The dragon's blood is more of an undertone in this one than a top note. It's a light, woodsy scent, I guess because of the sandalwood. It has a bit of a bite to it. This one just doesn't work on my skin, it goes a little plasticy and synthetic smelling. I will find my imp a good home.

I usually hate anything with Dragons Blood in it, but this is actually quite nice.

In the bottle I smell soft, sweet white flowers with a hint of berry.

On my skin, the sandalwood really comes out. It smells a lot more resiny on the dry down. I'm still smelling flowers of some sort, but they're not overwhelming.

Suprisingly, this one actually worls very well with my skin.

This is a very beautiful, and lasting scent.

not quite sure if i want a big bottle yet, I'll have to give it another day...but so far so good :P

**UPDATE**

I'm in love with Dragons Bone. This one LASTS a really long time. I woke up this morning and could still smell it on my wrists. I also put a few drops in my water mister and it made my livingroom smell wonderful.

This is a scent I can definilty wear on a regular basis, use in my oil disuser or water mister. It's very versatile. I love this ^^

Edited by CourtneyLynne

Out of the imp this smells sweet like violets and a bit spicey. On my skin it gets a bit peppery smelling, with a bit of resin which I'm guessing is the dragon's blood? As this dries more, the initial sweetness fades and there is a slight dry wood note lurking beneath it. This then becomes very light, dry and peppery. Kind of like dried up dragon bones :P Cool.

Orris!!! That's what I get with this oil. The same intangible I spoke of with Blood Pearl.

It's amazing, and, somehow, aquatic but I like it!

Dragons Blood from the lab is too sweet for me.. even if its dried down with orris & sandalwood. This smells sort of like Cathedral only with a sticky sweet top note.. a Cathedral filled with wedding flowers maybe. Again.. not for me, since I'm not a floral girl.

Wet: Delicious. I love dragon's blood, I love wood. This is strong dragon's blood plus wood. Mm.

Drydown: Hm. Whatever's in this to make it smell more like 'bone' is not really working for me. I'm guessing it's the "dusty orris". I can see why she's using it for 'bone', it's definitely a blunt, dry, dead note, but I don't like smelling it.

Dry: Dragon's Bone is a frustrating near-miss. I want to love it because the dragon's blood and woods smell great, but the orris ruins it-- it's grating and unpleasant to me, and it's really front and center in the blend.

That said, I have recently tried layering this one with The Ghost, and The Ghost knocks out the orris. I'm happy I was able to find something to make this oil work better for me.

This smells dry, cool and sweet and like Parma Violets sweets, floral and candyish. Not really what I would expect bone to smell like, unless is was polished, white, bone jewellery perhaps. Very nice though and a good hot day scent (though it's almost winter!).

Another one I can't believe I haven't reviewed after all this time...

Dragon's Bone was my favorite of the Ars Draconis scents for awhile even though I don't think I've ever worn it except to test. But it's definitely my kind of scent. The dry dusty woods make me think of incense dust, and this is a really beautiful, pale dry sandalwood. Orris always helps scents to last a long time without changing.

I barely smell the dragon's blood in this which is probably a good thing because I only like it when I'm in the right mood. I never think I want to wear dragon's blood until I put it on, and then it seems like a really good idea. But it's a strange resin, since it doesn't smell resinous at all...shifting somewhere between cherry and lilac depending on the notes it's blended with.

I think of this more as a straight sandalwood/orris blend, with all of the soft, pale wood dust that those make me think of. I can see that orris must be the scent that I like in Blood Pearl when I smell this...very familiar, very comforting. I don't know if I would use it enough to get a bottle since I never wear it, yet I like it whenever I sniff it.

After the strangely addictive Dragon's Milk (which my bf seems to like a lot, and is a comforting scent for me at night) this would be a favorite and it gives me hope that the sandalwood/orris Pumpkin Patch scent will also work well on me. Just woody/incensy enough to appeal to my hippie nature without being overpowering...it's very subtle and I don't even know if anyone would be able to smell it on me without getting a little too close for comfort.

This was a generous frimp from the lab, so I wanted to love it, but alas, this was not meant to be. Something (or several things) in this blend rubs me the wrong way. ANd I'm pretty sure its not the dragon's blood, as I was quite fond of Dragon's Milk.

Anyway....My apologies to the lab for writing this blaspheme:

This smells like the disinfectant that they use in public campground bathrooms. Don’t' get me wrong, it doesn't have any sort of human waste quality to it. Its definitely clean. And woodsy.

Basically, 2000 flushes + campground forest=Dragon's Bone.

At least, on my skin, it does. Not a good smell for me or hubby.

To the swaps! Someone will love this more than I.

In the Bottle: Sweet and woody.

Wet: Sandalwood! All over me! Kinda dusty, like sawdust, too.

Dry: Mellow woods. That's it.

I'm not surprised that the sandalwood just took over, since my skin loves to amplify it. I wish more Dragon's Blood had appeared, but oh well. Swap!

Dragon's Bone

A gimp from Emu Nymph!

In the bottle: floral soap

Wet/drydown: My only past experience with Dragon's Blood is Tintagel, which was a cherry-sweet leathery mess on me. I can detect a hint of that cherry along with a very strong floral, which I guess must be the orris. It's not a horrible scent, but one to which I feel a strong aversion. I don't want to scrub it off my wrists, but it sort of puts a frown on my face.

Later: More of the floral soap, with a hint of the cherry... and none of the woods. Dang. There is a very slight dryness, which is probably all I'll be able to detect of the woods. The orris is just taking over, and is brining out none of the depth in the Dragon's Blood, just the top sweetness.

After testing all the pumpkin patches, I'm tempted to go through the Ars Draconis blends to further educate my schnozz... but if I have the same frowny reaction to DBR each and every time, I'll probably forego that particular ol factory flight.

Definitely up for swaps.

Dragon's Bone

in vial: soapy (I think this must be the orris) dragon's blood

wet: soapy dragon's blood with a hint of sandalwood

dry: soapy dragon's blood

verdict: I don't think orris plays well with my skin chemistry...I was going to swap this one, but my husband smelled it in the imp and decided he'd like to try it...I hope it smells better on him...I will update this review with his results

This blend as incredible staying power. The orris makes the dragons blood dry and very woody. It reminds me of using the sander in the woodshop in the art lab. When I got into a hot bathtub, the woodiness intensified and the whole bathroom smelled of sweetened dry wood.

dragonsbone.jpg

One of the prettiest and driest of the dragon's blood scents, orris is the perfect compliment and unexpected. I would never have thought to put the two together, but they should have been a force long ago. This blend stays for hours on your skin and makes dragon's blood sophisticated and sexy rather than that obvious component in the blend. If you like dragon's blood, try this blend out.

Yikes. At first this blend was a sweet sandalwood scent with an overpowering rich dragon's blood note.

Within mintues of drying, it turned into pine bathroom cleaner. *yuck* Very Soapy and sickly.

Wet: Fruity dragon's blood and sandalwood.

Dry: Smoky wood and spice over the littlest tinge of dragon's blood. It sometimes smells a bit like bacon though. I am mixed in my feelings for this.

When i opened my imp of this, i couldnt smell anything.

It took me a while to even notice it.

It is very dry and simple, This was my first introduction to Dragons Blood. And i rather like the scent of it. This scent mellows on my nicely, turning into a slightly sweet scent with amped up wood and spice, any cherry that was prescent nearly dissapears.

The only problem is, it lasts all of an hour on me.

In the bottle, this is very sandalwood-y.

Wet, the sandalwood and blondewood is a sharp scent, drying out my mouth. No hint of the dragon's blood.

Dry, this is still a very dry scent, but there's a faint hint of sweetness on top - the dragon's blood. I can only smell the orris if I sniff at my wrist, but it might be in the background. (I think, at least, since I've never sniffed orris on its own).

This is a terrific scent, one of my favorites so far. It's very calming, to me, but also makes me want to go out and do the things that need to be done, even if I don't like them. I used this scent when I needed to make some unpleasent phone calls, and I think it really helped. It does last a short time on me, maybe two to three hours instead of the usual five to seven of most scents.

As lots of people have said, it's very dry, bringing forth the picture of sun-bleached bones in a desert of hot sand. But k00kaburra said it the best - the dragon's blood adds a hint of something else, like the bones are about to move, shaking off their years of accumulated grit before reforming into a skeletal beast. It's very powerful and image-invoking.

Imp

My first impressions are sweet, creamy, fresh, and something on the tip of my tongue that I just cannot remember the name of.

Wet

This is very perfumey on me upon first application. It is almost like white musk...with a floral touch. This must be the orris. It is almost astringent. For a moment, I could smell the gorgeous blending of the dragon's blood and sandalwood. This smells like something I have tried before.

Dry

This is an exquisite blend. It is soft, feminine, whispery floral. I might need to hold on to this imp a little longer.

Edited by niter

In the imp: I think the sandalwood and the resin blend really well together on first sniff. Subsequent inhalations brought through the woody notes.

Wet: Mostly dusty woods, with a hint of the resin.

Drying: Still a dusty note, though more like a scent from a library rather than sawdust. The dragon's blood is stronger, though not overwhelming.

Dry: More of the sandalwood and the resin, and the dustiness has blended better.

After 45 min: Oddly enough, more floral than expected. It brings to mind orchids! Still woody and laden with the resin though if you take a big sniff.

Final thoughts: I think I would use this to study with. Mostly when I need to sit down and work through something that relates to a topic like tarot or herbal lore, something that requires some concentration, topics that some would consider arcane. It's definitely a moody scent to me, but also lush and ripe with the promise of reward for hard work. I'm glad I have the imp, but at this time might not splurge for a bottle.

I received this as a gimp from the Lab. This is my first experience with Dragon Blood resin, so I am really not sure what to expect.

In the vial: Whoa! This is very strong and spicy and I am not sure that I want to try it on. I'm feeling brave, so I give it a try on my wrists.

Wet: Very woodsy and spicy, and still really strong.

Dry: I am pleasantly surprised! This has dried down an exotic spice top note over a dry wood base deepened by resin. What I thought would be too strong has dried down to a have light to moderate throw. I like this for myself, but I think a man could wear it, too.

Frimp luvn'! :P

In the bottle: a faint jasmine floral.

Wet: a jasmine type floral.

Dry down: A jasmine floral, no cherry smell of dragon's blood like I usually get. Not really getting any woods. I am guessing the jasmine smell I get is orris. I am not surprised I am not getting any woods, as I amp any floral to its maximum strength possible. Stoopid chemistry. So far this is the dragon's blood one that seems to like me most. But I don't love florals. :D

30 minutes: still floral. Not for me. This is very nice, kind of like White Shoulders. My mom would like this one.

Conclusion: Nope, not a big bottle for me. Worried that none of the Dragon's will like me, or I them *sigh*. On to the swaps it goes. :D

Rating 1-5 on my skin it is a 4, but for my personality it is a 2.

Edited by atropos