Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

This has confirmed my suspicions: while I don't strictly amp dragon's blood, if it's the primary component of a scent it takes over entirely. I received this as a freebie with a couple other Ars Draconis blends, and they both end up as pretty much single-note DBR. The lilac note in this one is a bit more prominent than usual, which could be a result of the orris since they have a similar feel to me, but yeah. Nice but, for me at least, not a necessity.

I really love Dragon's Milk, but I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I don't really love dragon's blood resin on me. It has a cloying edge to it, fruity and floral both at once, and tends to take over on my skin. In Dragon's Bone, it takes about an hour for any woods to come through. I don't get the orris at all. The blondewood seems particularly nice, almost lemony, and I always love sandalwood, and it's lovely when those notes are in balance with the dragon's blood. But then the DBR reasserts itself and begins to dominate again. There are so many BPAL notes I unequivocally adore; dragon's blood I'm ambivalent about, and so I should pass its blends on to those who will love them more.

Wet: Dragon's blood and.. something kind of dry. I don't know how to describe it. A "dry" version of dragon's blood, so I'm thinking that's just the dragon's blood mingling with the sandalwood and orris.

Dry: The "bone" scent is absolutely nailed on the dry down. Dragon's blood resin and bone. It's a dry, yet at the same time rich, type of scent.

While this isn't a favorite dragon's blood scent of mine, it's absolutely worth trying.

i'm not a fan of dragon's blood, so we'll see how this goes

in da imp: ashy, dry, sweet, and slightly dirty - perfect for an ossuary

wet: sweet ashtray, oh no, i hope there isn't black musk in this

drying down: oh, sweet wood, very nice, very light though, still a little ashtray, but something has to be burnt with dragons around

dry: sweet, warm, wood, still a little ashyness, but it's not unpleasant - luckily, dragon's blood didn't show up very much at all.

eta: i think the ashy smell is vetiver.

Edited by biggnerd

Boy, when they say "dry" and "thin", they really mean it. A slight hint of DB, white crackly woods, and smooth orris.

Very pale and skin hugging. Like, within-a-half-inch-of-the-skin, skin hugging.

In the imp: Dragon's blood, sandalwood, orris, and another dry note that I presume is the blondewood.

On my skin:

Wet, the dragon's blood amps first, though the sandalwood is prominent close to my skin. As it dries, it's a lot of dragon's blood and orris, creating a scent that's sweet and resinous and dry at the same time. It's a little incongruous at this stage, but it's not unpleasant. Once it has some time to sort itself out, the sandalwood comes more into play near my skin, though the throw remains mainly orris decorated with dragon's blood. Ultimately, though, the woods never make a big show on me, and Dragon's Bone ends up being orris and dragon's blood. With my skin chemistry, this is not as dry as is Dragon's Claw, nor is it as prominently dragon's blood as are some of the other Ars Draconis blends. Still, I can't help feeling that this is a blend that would cooperate much better on someone else's skin. 

Lots of throw, though. :)

Tested on both myself and my partner. 

Bottle: clean, soap? Oh nooo

Me:
On: sweet soap. Floral, maybe the orris

Drydown: more wood comes through, sweet sandalwood 

Him:

On: a little bit sweet soap. Sweet scents tend to go too sweet on him. 
Drydown: suddenly less sweet, more musky, more wood... Then, oh no, it smells like soapy body odour. 

Overall: Very short throw. We're both not a fan. It worked better on me but it's not something I'd wear. 

Updated review:

I thought I'd try this again because I tested Dragon's Boner recently.

This time around Dragon's Bone is mostly wood notes and blood resin. I'm enjoying Dragon's Bone more this time around but it's still threatening to go into soapy BO territory on me... So alas not for me.

Edited by follis
Updated