Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

Vial: Dragon's blood resin.
Wet: Still very resiny. Picking up a floral, I'm fairly sure this is orris. Oh boy. Orris is building up in strength. I'm surprised I'm not getting any sandalwood because it does love my skin a lot.
Dry: Resin has faded a lot, which is weird! Usually, dragon's blood resin is very strong on me. Constant with staying power. It's very weak right now. Still no sandalwood. Orris, yes, but like the resin, growing weaker. It's very perfumey throughout. Definitely my least favorite dragon oil.

Iris (orris, whatever ...), which I love, and that yummy, not-quite sweetened dragon's blood. First on, this isn't a dry scent, but it doesn't take long to get there. I'm not sure what blondewood is, but I'm guessing it's pushing the white sandalwood's dry, almost dusty tone on into VERY dry.

The dragon's blood actually ends up taking a back seat to the dry woods in this blend, and while it certainly achieves the "thin, dry..." characteristic of Beth's description, I think my favorite of the Ars Draconis scents is still Dragon's Milk.

This was a sharp, acrid scent that turned soapy and musty on me. I'm not sure what any of the notes smell like, but I was expecting something softer from the description. This was biting and somewhat tart.

I love the concept behind this one, but it did not work for me, so I've swapped my imp.

What an interesting oil this is.

In the vial it's dry and desiccated, with major sandalwood.

For the first at least half hour on my skin it vanishes. Poof. Gone.

Then as it dries, it comes back. Or the orris does, with sandalwood in the background. Which is nice, because I really like orris. So far it's been on for 2 hours and it is stronger now than when it went on.

Ah ha...dry sandalwood with a powdery breath of dragon's milk. I'd recommend this for someone who wants a slightly sweet, powdery scent with a touch of incense and spice. Unisex. Almost cleansing. Good for someone who is looking for a scent similar to Morocco.

This scent smells so amazingly dry. The kind of dry chemical smell that makes me feel like I'm getting a nosebleed (does anyone else ever get that feeling or am I just strange?). At first it reminded me a bit of Lush's Cosmic Dreamcather massage bar, sort of dry woods and peppery spices. Then it quickly took on a scent that reminded me of a car repair shop :P. All of the oil, rubber, gasoline, and grime... I don't know if it's just my skin chemistry, but this was a horribly foul fragrance on me. I'd say it was more masculine, but I don't like this on my boyfriend either.

I love how the woods mellow the Dragon's Blood in this blend! :P They give the dragon's blood a smooth, almost powdery finish, calm it down, make it presentable...yes, this is Dragon's Blood in a tux--isn't he handsome?

In the bottle, it smells light and almost floral.

After wearing it, it dries down and gets this light, dusty feel to it. I really can envision a dusty tomb full of dragon's bones, with some dried flowers somewhere in there. All of it has this vaguely magical feel to it...but it feels like the magic was there a long time ago and has faded. A rememberance of something old and noble and powerful. I love Dragon's Blood and this is a pleasant blend that brings up some interesting images to mind.

This is very strong. It may be a bit too strong for my tastes actually. It is a heavy laden blend of serious resins. The sandalwood is quite prominent in the blend as well. I just don't think this suits my body chemistry.

In the bottle: Sandalwood, something else which could be orris, and then dragon's blood.

First on: The sandalwood & orris blend together for a slightly floral warm woodsy feel, and the dragon's blood sweetens it up just a touch while adding a resinous base.

Drydown: This stays pretty much as above. I love it.

Thank you tart!

If you can do sandalwood and you can do dragon's blood without either going funktastic: you want this scent.

Imp: :P Warning: I'm a big sucker for Dragon's Blood. Cherry goodness. I love the smell of the resin, and I have been blessed with an abundance of sandalwood blended BPALs lately: therefore, I know my sandalwood.

Wet, on me: Sweet yet sort of not. Spicyish, but not spicy like cinnamon hot Wrath.

Drydown: This blend is beautiful. Sweet and dry all at the same time.

Verdict: pensive just needs to count her money and get the whole Ars Draconis line. There's nothing in this catagory that refuses to play nice on me.

Never would have pegged me for a dragon sort..

Dragon's Bone - another review I lost that recently turned up!

In the bottle: Delicate floral, but a bite of dry bone. Good so far...

On me: Starts off as a very light floral, dry and slightly woody. The dragon's blood blends gorgeously with the orris and the woods. Still delicate. :P

Drydown: Still a lovely, light floral, but my skin chemistry causes the sandalwood to come straight to the forefront and stay there. Unfortunately, I just can't wear this without smelling like straight sandalwood. Which sucks. :D

in the vial: dragon's blood resin and a woody note.

wet: mmm...dragon's blood resin. This blend is dusty and foresty with bursts of dbr. Dbr tends to be strong on my skin, but it's surprisingly mellow. It seems to peek out occasionally.

drying: Huh. The resin turns almost berryish. I've never had it do this before, but it's certainly a nice scent.

dry: Odd. This has turned to bubblegum.

Overall: Lovely scent, strange drydown due to my oddball skin chemistry. Nice, but it doesn't quite work on me.

Dragon's bone is dry, white dragon's blood on my skin. I'm not keen on dragon's blood, but I like the concept of this blend.

I tried this last night as a dream oil after my bath. On my way to bed I kept smelling my wrists, this dry warm dragon-sweetness so delicious and rich, and as I drifted off to sleep I had the thought that this scent is like the world's best baby powder -- the baby powder they use in heaven, the baby powder infant goddesses are sprinkled with, the powder used on baby dragons.... I adore this blend.

(And my dreams were vivid and full of portents too....)

Two hits and a whole bunch of painful misses on these scents. Time for the next one, whoo boy.

In the vial - I can see why people call this a dry scent. It's a floral that's not the usual gushing flower scent I'm used to. And I can smell the resin in it, so THAT's always good.

Wet - *says good-morning to the usual Dragon's Blood lilac* Not a strong version, with still that dry undertone. Not killing me with scent, yet.

Drying - Lilac in sand is what I'm getting from this. The dry feeling isn't strong, but it's THERE, like a lilac bush growing over an old, dry wooden bench. There's honeysuckle in there, by golly, like normal, but it's still the normal complete lilac smell.

Dry (3 hours later) - It's settled down to a dusty lilac, which isn't giving me headaches, but is at most boring. Le sigh...

Overall - Oddly, when I go outside in the heat, this scent fades almost completely, but it gives a HUGE kick of lilac scent when I start to cool off, before settling down to that dusty lilac again. I'll chalk this up as another unhappy Ars Draconis scent.

Bottle (Imp): This smells dry and a little sweet.

Just On: Yes, it's very dry, and just a bit sweet.

An hour or two later: This is a very dry scent. I'm actually reminded of bones.

Around 6 hours: Quite dry, and more sweetness is peeking out.

12 hours: It's gotten much sweeter though still dry.

Overall: I *really* like this one. It goes on the big bottle list.

After reading other reviews: I think the sandalwood is what was so dry about this. I like it a lot.

I just love this scent. I put this one over twelve hours ago and I can still smell it!

Bottle: A very sweet, floral(gardenia/jasmime like), wood scent. Ah, sandalwood.

Worn: When wet, it felt very warm on me and it smelt like floral mixed with wood. When dried, the scent stayed the same, but it also smelt like sweet baby powder. I couldn't stop sniffing myself because it was a blend of scents that I liked.

I really liked this scent a lot and would certainly conisder getting a larger bottle. 8/10.

This was my first of the Ars Draconis blends. It smells very dry, but sweet. The sandalwood and orris blend really well to keep this from being too sweet, but also from being too floral. This is really a great scent.

the white sandalwood in this scent is just too much for me :P

normally "regular" sandalwood loves my chemistry and works divinely but this is way over the top and all i can really smell is the sandalwood as the dragon's blood get gobbled up by the white sandalwood... too bad cuz upon initial application i got a lovely combo of scents....oh well....back to the drawing board i go :D

At first, I get white sandalwood, with a hint of something sweet. Then, the bark of a white tree (Ruff! Ruff! okay, sorry, bad joke) emerges. It really makes me think of a thin, white tree in a forest the Native Americans would have deemed sacred land. So there's the white tree (aka crisp blondewood) starting to overpower the sandalwood, and the hint of something sweet (aka Dragon's Blood) is gone. In the third hour, the sandalwood is gone, and it's pretty much the blondewood, standing tall and proud. I found this to be rather bizarre, because in all the Ars Draconis scents I've tried (all of them, with the exception of Dragon's Blood, which I haven't tried, but I'd assume it's the same case, since the only component there is Dragon's Blood), the Dragon's Blood has always stayed around to be sweet for the scent.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Chalky

In the imp: Dusty, dry, chalky (caused by sandalwood, I'm guessing) dragon's blood.

On skin, wet: Thin, almost woodsy dragon's blood resin.

On skin, dry: No change from wet, really. It smells almost exactly as I imagined: like a dragon's, well, bone.

Conclusion: Not bad -- it might be great in an oil burner, but a bit too dry for me to want to wear as a scent.

Edited by Aredhel

In the Bottle or Imp:

Spicy resin with a slightly aquatic floral. That would be the iris/orris... It's not as dark or deep as I expected it to be, and was my first Ars Draconis tested.

Wet, on Skin:

Sweet, with a hint of light musk, still with the pungency of dragon's blood resin. However, here it's very severely tempered by the dry notes of sandalwood and orris.

Drying/Drydown:

Odd, somewhat disturbing light floral woodsy note... with something richer trying to get out. Perhaps bones steeped with powerful magic.

Over Time/Longterm:

Goes mildly citrusy and powdery on me. Too bad.

Final Verdict?

Swap. It's nice, but just... eerie, and not my thing. Same effect with most of the Funereal Oils as well... they just don't sit well with me.

Hmmm... this one smells like dried flowers to me. Dried flowers in the middle of a desert, anyway. It is a very hot, dusty smell, and does indeed feel a little thin without being shallow. To me it has some of the same woodsy-type notes as Jolly Roger.... hunh. Must be the blondewood, whatever that is.

This one goes on warm and dry and floral, and then vanishes completely about an hour later. Darn. I was hoping for a dry, library-type smell, too. I don't despise it or anything, it just doesn't excite me a whole lot... I'm beginning to think dragon's blood and I may not get along too well. I'll use up the Imp unless I find someone who loves it (in which case I'll pass it along), but I won't be getting more.