Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

In the bottle: Ooh, I can definitely smell the sandalwood here, and oop, there's the dragon's blood resin too. I'm liking this.

On skin: The dragon's blood resin gets stronger on me; I can definitely smell a similarity to Dragon's Eye now. The sandalwood's still there, which I like, and hmm, is that the blondewood peeping through? Yes, I think so. Still liking what I'm smelling.

On drydown: The dragon's blood resin mellows a smidge, and the sandalwood and that woody, slightly dusty scent gets stronger. This goes almost creamy on me, which I don't have a problem with at all. Mmm. This doesn't go dry and thin at all on me, which is a pleasant surprise given the description. I was expecting something sharper and less... friendly, really. I'll be keeping this imp, that's for sure. :)

Edited to add: I wore this to a pottery studio get-together tonight, and from the time I put it on to the time I got home, it mellowed into an utterly lovely scent almost identical to one I used to smell on clean linen as a kid. I don't know if someone used sandalwood or dragon's blood resin in their laundry detergent, but the fact remains that as far as I'm concerned, after an hour or so this turns absolutely heavenly on me! Such a keeper!

In bottle: Mostly dragon’s blood with the orris giving it a violet root depth. The woods are a soft support. No skin test due to orris.

This was my fourth shot at a dragon's blood blend. It's not something I would've ordered for myself but it came as a frimp with my last order. It smells very green in the bottle. On the skin it's quite pleasant. The sandalwood falls really close to the skin in the drydown with lots of smoky sweetness. It's not something I would wear every day but I'd love to smell it on a man.

In the bottle, it's lovely dragon's blood with a sharp edge. On drydown, it turns into baby powder. GACK. And I'm at work so I can't wash it off. :ack: This is the one of the only BPAL I've tried that I actively dislike. I don't know if it's the sandalwood or the orris, but sandalwood usually does okay on me so I'm guessing orris is the culprit here.

This blend is dry and dusty, but in a really awesome way. On the days when I want something really different I reach for Dragon's Bone. It has that slight sweetness that Dragon's Blood imparts, but it is effectively tempered by the orris and the sandalwood. I am not often a fan of orris because it can be too dry, but I think that paring it with the Dragon's Blood makes it balanced enough that it isn't off-putting. This scent is a little bit more on the masculine side of unisex, but as a completely girly-girl I feel like I can wear it confidently because it doesn't smell like any modern men's cologne that I have ever smelled. I am a huge Dragon's Blood fan, but I think that even people who aren't sure about the note can enjoy this because it doesn't take such a forefront as it does in other blends.

Also, does the name in particular remind anyone else of the giant Krayt dragon skeleton on Tatooine in A New Hope?

I like this a lot. Sandalwood is one of my favorite notes to begin with, and this is a great combination. Not too sweet, and just the kind of light woods I like, without being the kind of dryness that sucks the life out of my sinuses, if that makes sense. Like an ancient library, not like catacombs.

In the Bottle: Dradon's blood, sandalwood and spices, with a slight floral. Very pleasant.

Wet: Sandalwood, dry smelling, with blondewood? It does smell slightly like lumber.

Drydown: This is a very non-pretentious scent. Dy, but warm. The Dragon's blood is starting to come out more. Still getting wood, and the orris is turning up. Slightly floral. Medium throw. All in all, on me, this is a highly forgettable scent.

3/5

In the imp: Woods! Me likey.

On wet: This is quite nice - sweet and dry and dusty all at once. My sister also likes it too, and she commented, "You smell very manly!" Um...thank you?

Dry: This is a very calm, subdued scent -- I can't really characterize when I'd wear it though, perhaps during a lunch with friends?

ITI: It's dragon's blood and Dial antibacterial soap. I usually love sandalwood and orris root, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this impression.

Wet: I get a similar impression, but there's a dry resinous to the scent from the orris root and a little resin sweetness from the sandalwood once applied to my skin.

Dry: Sadly, this one doesn't stand the work-day test. On re-application, I get orris root, sandalwood, some dragon's blood resin, and more antibacterial soap.

I ripped through the Dragon's Bone this spring! I am a slatherer, and I really just could not get enough, and am now CRAZY about this scent.

The dragon's blood is characteristically incensey/red fruity/lilacy. Orris is so nuzzley, and makes a lovely appearance here, comforting and sensual, like the scent of a loved one's warm, sleepy head. The woods are so sharp they read to my nose almost like a white musk, and keep the scent fresh (directly related to the White Rider, me thinks).

It's like...a wanton's dusting powder. It's clean but creamy and slightly sweet. Top 10 update. No joke.

Note: This is a review from memory since it was part of the first order I ever made to bpal. I was drawn in by the description more than the individual notes.

Thoughts: I got no dragons blood whatsoever. DB normally does a fruity thing on me. This was all about the orris and blonde wood and unfortunately, while it wasn't awful, it was pretty much baby powder on me.

This imp is aged.

In the bottle: Pleasant DBR with things ( think I detect the sandalwood).

On my skin: Fruity DBR for start, mixed with the white sandalwood - I think. A few minutes later it mellows slightly to a sweeter smell which I think is the orris? Mixed with the sandalwood. It is pleasant and refreshing. I don't know what it is ( I am guessing the orris or blondewood) but this morphs ( about half an hour later or so?) to a sweetish refreshing scent. I really can't describe it more without knowing exactly what orris and blondewood smell like.

Drydown: The same mellow scent. :)

With how lovely Dragon's Blood is on me, I had high hopes for Dragon's Bone.

It smelled like a dry, vaguely floral, pleasantly thick in the imp.

Unfortunately, on me, it smells like dog biscuits and gardenias while wet. Once dry, it just smells like dog biscuits.

In the imp: Dry and dusty (thanks to the woods and the orris) followed by heady dragon's blood.

Wet: I am getting the dry woods, along with dragon's blood, but the dragon's blood in this isn't nearly as strong as dragon's blood on its own. The orris adds a powdery quality to the scent. The wood notes dominate.

Dry: The dry woods still reign, but the orris note is stronger now. The sweet dragon's blood is lingering in the background.

Verdict: I do think the scent befits its name, but this is too dry for me.

I love pretty much anything with Dragon's Blood and Dragon's Bone was no exception. It was one of the few Dragons that I had not yet tried and bought a bottle off someone and I am so glad that I did. In bottle it is very much strong Dragon's Blood, but when applied the dryness of the Sandalwood and Orris really starts to appear. The sweetness of the Dragon's Blood keeps it from getting overpowered by the Sandalwood which tends to be the case for me with most Sandalwood blends. It is quite beautiful and complex, very happy with my purchase.

Dragon's Bone imp

Wet/Bottle - Sandalwood, dragons blood and blondwood stick out. Dry, sweet, slightly floral.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Sandalwood is the star of the show here, followed by dragons blood. Blondwood has all but died out. The floral, however, is rising very quickly and very sharply.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Floral notes do here what they always do for me - turn everything to soap. This is sandalwood scented soap.

This is the first Dragons Blood blend i've not liked, and that's disappointing.

In the imp: Pretty much just dragon's blood.

Wet on my skin: Slightly dry and spicy dragon's blood.

Dry: This isn't quite as dry and dusty as I expected, but I like it just the same! It's delicate, papery-feeling dragon's blood, sweet and faintly spicy and just a little powdery. It's actually something of a sad scent on me, and gives a distinct air of ancient melancholy. Probably don't need a bottle, but I may keep an imp of this around even after I've finished this one. Dragon's blood is really quite pretty on my skin, and this reminds me of that for the second time lately.

This was a frimp, but I'm glad I got to try it. I was unfamiliar with dragon's blood, and I learned from this that I don't like it. Something else went horribly wrong on me here too, but I'm not sure what. Thought it was orris, but I have liked it in other things since trying this one, so not sure.

In the imp: Something vaguely fruity. Dragon's blood, I presume.
Wet on me: Whoa!! Strong hit of something very dry and bitter. No sandalwood at all so far as I can tell.
Dry: The bitterness calms down slightly, and a dustiness comes out. Better, but still weird.

This was a big nope from me, washed it off after about 15 minutes. Something in this, or this combination of notes, seriously disagrees with my skin chemistry.

I have yet to find any scent containing orris, other than Lyonesse, that works on my skin. But I keep trying!! If Lyonesse is an exception, other scents could be too.

Wet: Oh my gosh, so much orris! And it's the sour kind. It always goes either sour, or sickly sweet and powdery on my skin. This is sour with a hint of powdery - that's a new one.

Dry: Orris (it eventually went to powder) and the floral sort of Dragon's Blood. A hint of sandalwood, which actually helps the orris be less horrible on me. Not something I can wear, but way less horrid than I expected this to be on my skin chemistry. Glad to have gotten to try it, but I will pass in on to someone who will hopefully love it better.

On the wand, dragon’s blood, a pale, dry sandalwood, and a white-smelling orris, in that order. I like this sandalwood.

Wet on my skin, this begins as that red, sweet, cherry-like floral thing that is the lab’s dragon’s blood, with a little sandalwood beneath. And then, abruptly, the sweet cherry tone burns off, and the blend turns a bit sour.

As Bone dries, the sandalwood grows. I start picking out a wood blending into it that’s really nice, and realize that some of what I’m liking so much as sandalwood is probably the blondewood mixed with it. The two are lovely together.

Unfortunately dragon’s blood and this faint sour note aren’t quite my thing.

I think that this is one of my favorite dragon's blood mixes. I've never been a big fan of sandalwood. It's nice, but not something I actively seek out. I may start checking out more blends, because it's really working for me. It's warm and inviting, with the trademark dragon's blood. It's strengths are definitely the woods, and they do take front-and-center. It does eventually wear close, but it doesn't make me like it any less.

I like DBR, sandalwood but orris is usually a no go on my skin.

This one is no different. Bit of a headache on the drydown.

Basically dragons blood resin meets soapy floral. Orris lovers should give it a try though.

Light, woody, and fresh. Totally unexpected for something that smells like an ossuary. I think this is only the second Dragon I've tried (the other being Dragon's Blood) but I really dig it. It kinda reminds me of the Renaissance Festival. The orris is nice and pale, kinda creamy almost. The woods are dry and light, and not at all overwhelming.

Where I'd wear this: Browsing stalls at Renn Faire