Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dragon's Bone

Dragon's Bone

The dry, thin scent of a draconic ossuary. Dragon's blood resin with white sandalwood, dusty orris and crisp blondewood.

Ahhhh. Dragon's Blood and sandalwood. Perfection. I love Dragon's Blood and I love sandalwood. And I love them together. It reminds me of a certain time of my life. An experimental time. Lots of memories come when I wear this. I love it.

In bottle: While most of the Ars Draconis scents seem juicy and red to me, this has a definite dry, parched scent. (As dry and parched as liquid perfume can be, at any rate.) The wood notes seem to soak up all the dragon's blood so that it only faintly clings to the fragrance.

On me: This really does smell dry as a bone. It makes me think of dry bleached dinosaur skeletons painsakingly reassembled in museums. Yet that tiny trickle of blood adds a hint of magical juice to the blend, as if at any moment the bones will move again.

Wet: Juicy Dragon's Blood and a bit of woodsy/musk note hiding in the background

Dry: This has dried, like others have said, more than a typical dragon's blood scent does. I smell the wood (kind of smells like teak more than sandalwood) more than the dragon's blood, which is a surprise to my body chemistry (which amps up dragon's blood more than the other ingredients).

Imagery I get from this is beard stubble. But nice, clean, lightly scented beard stubble of a man that works outdoors...totally weird I know. But it's how I would want every man's beard to smell!

So, I think this is the most masculine of the dragon's blood blends I've tried (out of 6). I might try sneaking it on the BF and see what he thinks.

Verdict: I think this is so different and wild. It makes me want to find some outdoorsman and cuddle up with them. I like it, and I have a feeling I'll like it more as time goes by.

Edited by Rheliwen

Dragon's Bone

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone ... and a little in the cleavage.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Warm, sweet, woodsy and – as with all BPAL dragon’s blood scents – utterly gorgeous. The dragon’s blood adds a gentle sweetness to the scent of the autumn forest (the scent of trees without leaves).

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The individual notes blend so well that it really does remind me of a draconic ossuary. This is so warm and comforting … so lovely.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This settles to a beautiful, warm coziness. Like discovering a forest clearing in late autumn (after the leaves have fallen, but before the snow) or early spring (after the snow has melted, but before the vegetation begins to bud), standing in a ray of sunlight, with the mystery that is dragon’s blood, hanging in the air – just out of reach.

This continues to lighten until I am left with the soft whispers of dragon’s blood. Mmm … another keeper.

First Impression: Orris and sandalwood.

Second Impression: I love dragon's blood, but it's really overpowered by the orris and the woods. It's very "perfumey".

Final Analysis: Not sure this is for me.

Received from the Lab as a generous freebie ... at first couldn't remember if I'd tried this before but no, that was Dragon's Kiss ... I remembered not really liking that but couldn't remember if it was the Dragon's Blood note that didn't work for me ...

BOTTLE: Sweet, red and woody ... not sure why I think red on a woody smell but I do ... just a really nice scent (I know, "really nice" is such a lame way to describe it but it was ... well, really nice!) ...

Applied to wrists reasonably generously. I'm hoping the sandalwood will come racing to the forefront.

WET: Wow! This is SO lovely ... I am amazed and happily surprised. I didn't read any of the reviews before using it (forum was down) so I'm glad now that the cherry some people talk about didn't come up on me at all ... I smell a lovely light sweet wood, like when you're at one of those furniture stores where everything is newly crafted light unfinished wood. This is actually a good smell. And it makes me want to do arts and crafts! (Ooooh, time to go and decoupage my imp box I guess!!!

DRYDOWN: OK, this may sound nuts, but what I kept getting was gumdrops! Something darkly sweet and vaguely fruity and spicy. I'm thinking now it's the orris, if others have said that's like violets, since violets have that purply spicy sweetness to me ...

I LOVE THIS. Definite surprise keeper and maybe even a 5 ML order when I made my next bonanza order in February or so (next order comes after I try ALL my upcoming January imps, all two dozen plus of them!!!)

REVIEWED AND REVISITED IN MARCH 2013:

Purchased an imp of this in a small imp buy because somehow I no longer had it in my collection of many, many DB scents (now my favorite note) ... I reviewed and made notes before re-reading my old ones so it's kind of funny now.

IMP: Actually oddly sweet in a foody way -- rather than picking up either the DB or the sandalwood, I'm getting sort of an chocolatey or candy scent, mixed with incense

Dabbed on left wrist and crook of arm (and double-dipping with straight dragon's blood on other arm)

WET: This morphs absolutely GORGEOUSLY with my body chemistry. A clean, golden, woody, grounding scent that would make an amazing aromatherapy blend for me.

DRYDOWN: Slightly sweet but cleansing and calming and uplifting.

OVERALL: Not sure why I don't have a 5 ML of this. Must be rectified ASAP.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5 for sure.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Wow, I put this is a lot to sell on Ebay because the idea of saying I am wearing Dragon's Bone brings up a childlike Beavis and Butthead "heh, heh, heh Dragon's Bone...she said bone...heh heh heh" reaction into my head. :P

But I tried a drop of it on the wrists and then about an hour later in my car, I smelled something really good. I used to have a really good Dragon's Blood oil by Nuit Unlimited and never was able to find another bottle of it. This smelled a lot like it, but a bit deeper and woody. Needless to say I am in love.

I suppose you can't judge an oil by its name alone. I think I may get a bottle of this or Dragon's Tears. Now that I am excitied by the thought of getting a dragon's blood based oil in my next order, I would like to try them all and see what the differences are.

It smells like true dragon's blood resin on the floor of a boney tomb. Right up my alley. Fab! :D

I'm always happy with dragon's blood, but something happens with this one. It gets so dry. Like a Santa Ana wind in the fall. I think this might have to find another home.

I was really excited to try this one. I adore wood notes, particularly sandalwood, and I've loved every single one of Beth's dragon's blood blends.

This is exactly as good as I expected it to be! Warm, red dragon's blood and dry, white sandalwood are such perfect complements to each other. In an earlier review someone mentioned lava rocks, and that's exactly the right image to invoke here.

I also think that this is a gender neutral scent that would work really, really well on a man.

I have no idea why but this one puts a smile on my face. It just makes me happy!

On me it smelles lightly sweet, orris first and sandalwood coming second.

I agree that its a bit "perfumey" but there is definitely something salty and a little peppery here that prevents it from becoming uninteresting.

Wearing this makes me feel calm, collected, sexy and confident.

Its very smooth and dry, almost like running your hand down a newly sanded down blondewood log.

just edited idiot spelling mistake :P

Edited by thespring

First sniff out of the bottle- Dry wood smell. Almost like a bamboo/vertiver scent.

After 10 minutes- Now the sandalwood is coming out. It is very soft and powdery when blended with the other wood scent in this. I am not getting any dragons blood coming through...just a clean woody soap smell. In fact it smells just like the sandalwood soap they sell at Whole Foods. This is very masculine.

After 30 minutes- All I smell is Sandalwood soap.

Summery- Dragons Bone is a very clean soapy scent. Very masculine. Pleasant, but not for me. I think my brother would like this.

In the bottle: Spicy dragon's blood, with a little bit of sandalwood sharpness. I'm kind of scared of this one.

Wearing: Hmm. Orris comes out and adds a bit of powdery floral. Something in this is very, very sharp and astringent. I hope it gets better later.

Later: Nope. This is the smell of a typical, alcoholic, store-bought fragrance. I'm really not digging it. Off to swaps!

This actually goes far too floral for me. At first I got that dusty, rich melding of sandalwood and dragon's blood, but then this floral (orris root, maybe?) took over completely. I dislike florals, with very few exceptions. This one goes to the swap pile for me.

First sniff:

Well, I've worn Dragon's Bone many times and never reviewed it, so I don't think "first sniff" is technically accurate...it's more like "first breath after opening the vial" in this case. :P

That being said: dragon's blood and a very light white sandalwood note. Dragon's Bone is both dry and dusty and rich and spicy right out of the imp and I love it. :D

Wet on skin:

Basically the same as in the imp. Dragon's Bone is a very stable scent on me; it doesn't deviate much from the "fresh out of the imp" smell. The dragon's blood is the most prominent note here, but the sandalwood dries it some and makes it thinner somehow.

Dry down:

Dragon's blood, white sandalwood and a hint of light wood in the background. Dragon's Bone is my favorite of all the Ars Draconis scents I've tried so far. It's got both the dragon's blood and sandalwood notes I love and the result is wonderfully spicy and dry at the same time.

The bottom line:

My favorite BPAL Dragon scent yet. I love the dragon's blood/sandalwood combination. :D

In the bottle - I smell the sweetness of the dragon's blood, but without the metallic quality that I smell sometimes. The sandlewood is there, but lightly in the background

On me - Beautiful! The dragon's blood and sandlewood come together wonderfully, with a light floral background scent (must be the orris). Hubby also liked it a lot.

Overall, very nice. So far, I've liked all the dragon's blood scents that I've tried.

Very dusty at first, Dragon's Bone dries down into a lovely smoky-wood scent. The sandalwood is delicious. It verges on being overly salty for a moment, then goes back to being dry wood with a hint of orris. This is lovely. Not sure it's "me," but lovely nonetheless.

this is the first dragon's blend i've tried. the dragon's blood is very strong, and so is the orris. i'm not getting the sandalwood from this. it's all floral on me.

when first applied, i get the floral orris, a hint of sweetness from the dragon's blood and just a bit of sandalwood. as soon as it dries off, the sandalwood is gone, and it smells like violets (real ones, not just floral perfume). after about half an hour, even the orris is gone. not what i was hoping for, but nice nevertheless while it lasted.

if my body chemistry doesn't straighten up and play nice with bpal, i am going to be very disappointed.

Edited by shadowsong

Dragon's Bone:

Very dry and dusty.

Wet: Starts out decently with Dragon's Blood resin.. the resin-y tones are definitely present.

Drydown: The sandalwood and orris start coming through, and the scent takes on a whole new tone as it becomes a bit more powdery and dry.

After 20 minutes: A sweet, violet-like floral peeks through. Not at all unpleasant.

While Dragon's Bone is a very nice scent, I don't believe I'd wear it for personal use.. just personal preference.

This. Is. Gorgeous.

I received this as a free imp in an order from the Lab and I was wary of it in the bottle, but on my skin it is a warm, dry scent with a hint of fruitiness and lush woods.

And for some reason, it is really making my mouth water. It's not a drawback though! I think I'm going to have to get a bottle of this.

Fruity and dry.

I love Dragon's Blood, it goes all fruity-sweet, with a hint of floral on me. This blend is fantastic, the sandalwood is grounding, it gives this a deeper and richer quality. The orris smells a bit of candied violet, and it really sweetens the dry down.

I like this one, it isn't going to kick Tintagel out of my favorite Dragon's Blood blend position, but it is coming close. :P

Recieved as a freebie in my Storm Moon order. In the bottle, it smells like incense, with a wee hint of sweetness.

On me, wet, it takes on a decidedly smoky one, and I can definitely pick out the sandlewood. It changes right away, to something more fruity and a tiny bit flowery. The sandlewood stays noticable, but underneath the other smells. It's strange, and I think it reminds me of something else, but I can't quite tell for sure or recall what...

After drying and sitting for a while, it smells a lot less smokey and sandlewood-y, and quite sweet, but not overbearingly so. Not sure if I'll keep it, but it's an interesting smell, most definitely.

Spicy, yes, but very woody -- the wood dominates the spice. It's deep but not heavy, as a result. It's not an unpredictable smell. If you like dragon's blood and you like woody notes, you'll like Dragon's Bone.

my first encounter ever with dragon's blood.

:P

on my wrist, still wet:

there is a sharp herbal scent here that i am unfamiliar with, but it is definitely green and woodsy. i think there is also some sandalwood, which i like both in the bottle and on me. i vaguely remembering something special about all of the draconis scents, but can not (to save my soul -- which may be a moot point, regardless) remember exactly WHAT that was. whatever it is, i smell it and it is good. then there is a faint faint note of something that i can only describe as "dry". i guess that is the "bone". :D but i have NO idea what makes that smell. beth is a genius.

In Bottle: Sandalwood and resin

On Skin: A bit floral, is that the orris? The blondewood and sandalwood are very dominant and drown out the dragon’s blood resin at first. After a half our… I only faintly smell the resin, but barely and that upsets me for this being a Dragon scent… the woods are still dominant and in my opinion make this a very masculine scent.