Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Sweet Clove

*dies*

I did not expect this one to be SO FUCKING GOOD. I'm used to ordinary clove, I guess, and not sweet clove, but...wow. I almost can't believe that this is a single note!

So spicy, but without that sinus-clearing force that some very spicy sniffs carry, and still sweet enough to be wearable without people thinking you've had a cooking mishap. Very nice.

Origin:

Got a 5mL of this from Velvet, since I was a fool and didn't order it while it was still available on the site. :D

My impressions:

Oh my God, this is so good! It smells almost exactly like Constant Comment tea, which (in my book) is the sign of a good clove single note. This is so gloriously clovey that I want to cry! Absolutely perfect, and this is coming from a die-hard clove lover. :P

Really....what more can you say about this blend besides

SO DAMNED GOOOOOOOOOD

It's spicey, slightly sweet, and just oh so perfect. I can't wait to layer it.

I love anything clovey (chai tea, Lush Pied de Pepper and so on), so when the single notes were discontinued, I had to get this.

Let's just say that I am not disappointed in the least.

This is a soft, gentle clove that wears quite light, a good thing since clove can sometimes be overpowering. Yet, it has the depth and brightness of freshly ground spice.

I love it! This will also be fantastic for layering with soft, powdery, musk- or amber-based blends.

So glad I could try it! :P

at first: straight-up clove. fantastic.

on: beautiful. i love the smell of cloves.

3 hours later: very light. i can just barely smell it. still nice, though.

5.5 hours later: i can't really smell this anymore.

overall: this is simply beautiful. needless to say, if someone likes the smell of cloves, they'll love this.

This smells EXACTLY like clove. If someone made me sniff this and then a jar of real cloves, I would not be able to tell the difference. What a PERFECT recreation. It isn't too strong, either. Very soft and will be absolutely wonderful for layering. :P

Sweet Clove

Words cannot convey how awesome this scent is. I love clove scents, and this is the BEST EVER. I wonder if Beth would consider bringing it back as a special edition for autumn/winter? It's gorgeous.

This is the perfect clove scent, the one for which I've been searching for years. And now it's discontinued! *sob*

It's sweet, it's spicy, and for the first hour or so it's faintly musky. In short, it's wonderful. Smells just like a jar of ground cloves. Unfortunately it doesn't last that long on me, so I'll probably go through my bottle fairly quickly.

First sniff: Mmmmmmm.

Wearing: Mmmmmmm.

OK, that isn’t terribly helpful. This is the perfect sweet spice, holiday-cheery and bright but subtle enough that it doesn’t really waft. A few of the spice scents I’ve tried are nice but not something I want to smell like… Sweet Clove doesn’t fall into that category. I’m quite happy for my skin to smell edible like this. :P

This is EXQUISITE!! Easily my second-fave SN (after the glorious Vanilla Bean)!

This is more sweet and foody than spicy, surprisingly :D Spicy enough to be sexy, not enough to smell like popourri. This is...spiced honey, sweet cakes studded with cloves, cloves soft against the skin.

I adore this :P

pure, perfect clove. And yes, it's now clear that carnation smells like a flower with some clove in it.

I have only one problem - my strongest scent association for savoury cloves, without any sugar added, is my mother cooking up an uber-large pot of minced meat, with chopped onions and loads of spices, so that she can freeze one-meal portions of meat for quicker cooking... I love the smell of meat frying, but I don't want to smell like it myself!

I think I really need to layer this with something sweet, or pass it onto someone who will love it more than I

My absolute favorite of the SN I have tried. Just gorgeous on its own, but wonderful layered too. Spicy. And I LOVE it. :P

Bottle (Imp): Now, don't be shocked, but this smells like sweet cloves.

Just On: This makes me want to make pumpkin pie, because I can always smell the cloves the best of the spices we use.

An hour or two later: Ahhh yes, this is certainly clove. It's yummy.

Around 6 hours: Okay, you have to promise not to be surprised when I tell you what this smells like. Okay? Well, it smells like cloves!

12 hours: Well, since it's gone, it doesn't smell like anything now.

Overall: I really like this one.

After reading other reviews: I pretty much have to concur with the others who love this.

Wow.

Strong sweet and true. It is the force of a thousand cloves but sweet. I used only a small drop (seriously didn't slather) to try this one out, but it's still one of the strongest BPAL scents I've tried to date.

Very nice. And to boot, several hours later, it's still 95% as strong, and completely unchanged. Apparently my skin likes this note. :P

Sweet Clove - from the Single Note swap circle.

In the bottle: Pumpkin pie. :P

On me: Clove, clove, clovey, clove. :D This is amazing, sweet and spicy. Perfect!

Screw Three Witches - I want this! I love it! :D

This has some serious bite at first if you're not ready for it. For those who love the smell of clove cigarettes, imagine that the smoke from a huge batch of the absolutely best clove cigarettes (or just the scent of the cigarettes themselves, depending on your tastes) was solidified into a solid block, which was then liquified onto your skin. That's this scent. For those who don't love the smell of clove cigarettes, imagine a similar effect with the smell of clove in baked goods--cookies, ham, you name it. Just identify the sweet spice of cloves baking (you can include a hint of honey or sugar, just to get the sweetness in there), not the scent of sticking your nose into the clove jar. I just huffed both my ground cloves and my whole cloves, as well as my clove cigarettes, and the above is correct. But it's got the same oomph behind it, as the spice itself, that's for sure. Just a little more on the sweet side.

And for those that compare this to Three Witches: I've gotten a sniff of Three Witches, and I hate to say that for me, they're not as close as some say. I pick up the other components of Three Witches, and the Sweet Clove alone is far, far better by itself. For me, though, this is way foody. That's not to say I wouldn't wear it by itself, though. :P

Edited by quikslvr

In the bottle, sweet clove evokes memories of a freshly-opened packet of Djarum Specials. A high, sweet, tongue-numbing scent. On the skin, it warms, and some of the sweetness subsides, revealing a deepness and an almost smoky overtone. This oil remains strong with a great deal of throw for quite a long time -- one of the longest-lasting notes I have encountered thus far.

Sweet Clove is easily my favorite single note. I don't generally review single notes because they're pretty self explanatory as far as smell goes (yes, it *does* smell like clove, lol), but this one is just so lovely. It makes me think of pumpkin pie.

I was worried that this would smell too biting and spicy. It's really just sweet and warm. A perfect wintery scent. It smells just like LUSH's lovely Skinny Dip shower gel to me too. I wish that it didn't fade so quickly, but it's just :P while it lasts.

Lately I've been using it to make Jack not so sickeningly sweet. It helps to calm down a lot of super-sweet scents. *love*

121063775.jpg

BPAL blends which use Sweet Clove as one of it's ingredients:

March Hare, Succubus, Sybaris, Torture King.

Imp: http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...8/121063780.jpg

In the bottle

This is almost a totally clear blend.

Good God, this is great smelling.

On

Pure, sweet, spicy clove.

30 minutes

No change.

Throw:

Yes :P

Scent category:

Spicy

Summary

It's perfect. Smells like sweet clove hehe.

What an addictive scent. This is one you can wear alone or to blend.

Purchase again?

Yes! Boat loads.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Sweet Clove

Warm, sweet, spicy. Sweet without being cloying. Very rich smelling. This is surprisingly nice for a gal who isn't a big clove fan.

:P

mmmmmm I love the smell of cloves and I love the smell of this. It is straight up clove. It doesn't irritate my skin or change on my skin. This will be layered with just about everything until it runs out.

This single note lives up to the hype.

Thanks to my AwesomeSuperFantastic Winter Switch Witch, minilux (:P) I have this to hoard and use and love and gaaaah!

This seems to be short-lived on me; however, please keep in mind that I am being beyond sparing in my application. I should just suck it up and douse myself once (OK, let's not get crazy, I'll step back to "slather") because this? Is perfection.

Warm, sweet, comforting, just a bit spicey. All the clovey goodness you expect without tipping over into abject foodiness. This is... heaven. And it layers so well with everything I have (namely earthy, resiny, slightly manly blends). And it just goes well with me.

Ah. If I had known how wonderful this is.... I would've ordered Multiple Bottles (a huge friggin' deal for a BPAL skinflint such as m'self) prior to discontinuation.

So glad I got to experience this. My effusive thanks will never be enough!