Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

I'm allergic to frankincense, and it's a respiratory allergy, not a skin allergy. When there's frankincense in a blend, I get a very dry, sore throat in a matter of minutes. Some people have posited it's the beginning of an anaphylactic reaction, and, well, suffice it to say I avoid frankincense as much as I can. (this isn't just the BPAL frankincense, Lush products with frankincense essential oil and burning frankincense resin do it too)

Has anyone else had the following reaction to Death of Autumn:

Mild nausea

mild headache (not migraine level, but just a general foggy feeling)

numb lips (?! I swear I wasn't trying to eat it LOL)

Mildly itchy eyes

If so, have you been able to determine what ingredient caused it? I know it wasn't the kus, because I've worn vetivert before and it has never bothered me. Nor is it the autumn leaves and amber, because Ephemera and Antony don't make me ill. Could it be that I just sniffed the darn thing too long and too close? :P I really like this one, too!

Regarding Saw Scaled Viper....

:P I really wanted this one to work. But it burned and turned me red, and the actual scent was too much! As in, it burned my nose, even. I never thought I'd encounter something that was too spicy or cinnamony for me, but there it is. I'm bummed.

But here's my dilemma. I'm trying to figure out precisely which of the notes did this to me, or if it was maybe the combination of cinnamon, red ginger and cassia put together. If anyone else has had a similar reaction to SSV, what did you think it was? I've never had a problem with cinnamon, I'm pretty sure this was my first encounter with cassia, and ginger is always good to me - although I don't know that I've ever tried anything with RED ginger before. I've sampled lots of BPAL oils and never had a bad reaction.

Edited by futuregirl

Saw Scaled Viper seems to be getting everyone, even a friend of mine who swore she was Teflon from the neck down. I got a bottle (before I heard that from her) and I haven't been brave enough to try it on yet, thanks to her story and the crazy hives I got all summer. I personally think the Lab's cassia note/notes are more irritating to my skin than any cinnamont I have tried. I think I may dilute a bit to try this fall, it is just too spicy and delicious in the bottle for me to resist.

The scent? Allison Gross, which I'd only tested very briefly before. And Allison Gross is full of all kind of green herbal things. And I'm really allergic to almost every grass and tree that grows.

Are we related? I'm allergic to a zillion trees and grasses too - although I guess the tests that allergists do (the pinprick thing) are really testing for reactions to their pollens. I never considered that I could react to other components although it now seems like it could be possible - definitely something I will consider as I try out different stuff in the future. Although it seems like a lot of Beth's woody notes could be bouquets, other than those things that are traditionally available as essential oils like pine, cedar, and sandalwood (none of which I am allergic to - for me it's things like oak, maple, birch, poplar... oh, and ragweed! I don't think Beth has done a ragweed blend yet! :P )

This is a really ignorant question, but I'm going to ask anyway! I am allergic to various kinds of trees, and I take medications/injections during certain times of the year for this (pollen season, etc.). Does this mean I should avoid any scents that have these trees (say pine, for example) listed in the description? I don't know enough about oils to understand what they contain, and whether the same thing that makes me allergic to a tree would make me allergic to the scent. Thanks for your help!

In the case of really severe allergies, I would definitely avoid anything that sounds like it has a component that you're allergic to. Even if the Lab is using a bouquet to approximate the scent of an oak tree or wooden planks or something like that in the description, you can't always be sure. I know in the past that the Lab's been very helpful when customers have sent e-mails saying, "I am allergic to X, Y, and Z. I am interested in buying the following oils: .... (reasonable list here)"

I know allergies are really frustrating when they limit what you enjoy, but always listen to your doctor before you consider the advice of anyone here or at the Lab since he knows you and your health intimately - does he just discourage the use of scent in general to all his patients, is he seriously telling you as an individual to avoid it, or somewhere in between? That should really guide your decisions and choices. I really can sympathize, though - for example, I am allergic to dogs (so is my husband) and yet our dog sleeps with his head on my pillow every night. My allergist rolls her eyes at that one.

Another ignorant question. My boyfriend has an oral allergy to almonds. That's *not* the life threatening, anaphylactic kind of allergy, but it means he'll throw up and get serious heartburn if he accidentally consumes some almond.

With the amount of actual almond in a perfume like Hecate or Bastet being fairly miniscule, am I right in thinking it's no big problem if I wear those perfumes around him and he kisses my wrist or something?

I've asked him before, and he doesn't know. Can anyone here help?

If you were to eat some almonds and he kissed you a bit later, would he have a reaction? I would guess that his reaction to exposure to almondy perfume to be similar to that scenario and to be on the safe side, just avoid wearing almondy BPAL if you're planning to spend time together. I have heard stories of nut allergies where one person sipped from another's soda hours after eating something with peanuts in it, and when the allergic person drank from her soda after that her face started swelling up - I know he isn't that high on the scale, but I think he should probably discuss topical exposure to almond-containing cosmetics with his doctor on his next visit to figure out where he might be on the scale, you know? It seems like there's enough chance of inadvertent contact (washing his hands at someone's house with soap that contained almond, for example) for him to want to be fully informed.

I'm allergic to frankincense, and it's a respiratory allergy, not a skin allergy. When there's frankincense in a blend, I get a very dry, sore throat in a matter of minutes. Some people have posited it's the beginning of an anaphylactic reaction, and, well, suffice it to say I avoid frankincense as much as I can. (this isn't just the BPAL frankincense, Lush products with frankincense essential oil and burning frankincense resin do it too)

Oh my god, I get that too. :P I doubt it's an anaphylactic reaction since I'm *pretty* sure you have to ingest the substance for that kind of reaction, but it makes sense that it would be some kind of sensitivity. I don't know why I thought the scratchy throat thing was normal - I just thought I didn't like frankincense. Guess I'll start avoiding it more carefully. Sad, because I love incense, and it's in a lot of incense blends. Is there much frankincense in Midnight Mass?

Edit: to make more sense

Edited by ClareN

Regarding Saw Scaled Viper....

:P I really wanted this one to work. But it burned and turned me red, and the actual scent was too much! As in, it burned my nose, even. I never thought I'd encounter something that was too spicy or cinnamony for me, but there it is. I'm bummed.

But here's my dilemma. I'm trying to figure out precisely which of the notes did this to me, or if it was maybe the combination of cinnamon, red ginger and cassia put together. If anyone else has had a similar reaction to SSV, what did you think it was? I've never had a problem with cinnamon, I'm pretty sure this was my first encounter with cassia, and ginger is always good to me - although I don't know that I've ever tried anything with RED ginger before. I've sampled lots of BPAL oils and never had a bad reaction.

Anything with red ginger (incl. Pumpkin Queen and, very briefly, Pumpkin V), or any ginger really (Shub), gives my neck a temporary burning sensation about 5 minutes after applying. HOWEVER...so does Snake Oil, and there's no ginger or cinnamon/cassia in that one, as far as I know. So, yes, Saw-Scaled Viper leaves a mark, but so does Green Tree Viper. It's very temporary, only affects my neck (e.g., it doesn't burn my wrists), and I love the scents, so I'm not inclined to part with them. If you're really in love with SSV, maybe a scent locket, or apply it to your hair and over your clothing instead?

If you want to try some other blends with cassia to see if that's the culprit, there's Tanin'iver, The Dodo, Morocco, Kali, Plunder, All Saints', Red Phoenix, MB: Underbed, and a Salon, The Death of Sardanapal. Scents with red ginger listed: War, Chrysanthemum Moon, Pumpkin Queen, Pumpkin V, and Trick #1.

When I asked my allergist, he told me it's his rule to discourage wearing all scents anyway, so I should just go scent-free, and that would avoid any pine problems all together. Wow, that was an unacceptable answer. ;) They can take my Shub-Niggurath when they can pry my cold, dead fingers off the bottle. LOL!

:D Same here! My allergists always sigh and shake their heads b/c I have three cats and am allergic to cats. But they're not going anywhere - I'll just take the drugs, thanks!

Are we related? I'm allergic to a zillion trees and grasses too - although I guess the tests that allergists do (the pinprick thing) are really testing for reactions to their pollens. I never considered that I could react to other components although it now seems like it could be possible - definitely something I will consider as I try out different stuff in the future. Although it seems like a lot of Beth's woody notes could be bouquets, other than those things that are traditionally available as essential oils like pine, cedar, and sandalwood (none of which I am allergic to - for me it's things like oak, maple, birch, poplar... oh, and ragweed! I don't think Beth has done a ragweed blend yet! :) )

Allergy sufferers unite! (I have to go to a new one in a week or so and I'm dreading it b/c I know they're going to want to test me again and I want to say, look, let me save you the trouble, I'm allergic to EVERYTHING.) It was just funny with Allison Gross, because I've never had a similar reaction to any other scents, and all I could focus on was GREEN. It could be something else entirely, of course, and I do wonder how much Beth uses bouquets vs. the essential oils.

I really can sympathize, though - for example, I am allergic to dogs (so is my husband) and yet our dog sleeps with his head on my pillow every night. My allergist rolls her eyes at that one.
:D :P

I seem to be having a reaction to carnation in BPAL. Pink Moon and Morocco both gave me itchy read, sore spots where I applied it.

Lurid Library is now doing that to me. I seem to remember having a mild reation to Misk U a long time ago, so I've come to two conclusions:

Lurid Library had carnation in it (possible)

Lurid Library has something Misk U has (more than likely, given they are both "library" scents)

What's the best way of finding out exactly what this might be, so I can avoid it in future if necessary?

I apparently am allergic to whatever it is they use to make the fire scents, which sucks, because they smell great.

I also wish they'd always marks vetiver, as I am fairly sure I',m mildly reactive to it.

I seem to be having a reaction to carnation in BPAL. Pink Moon and Morocco both gave me itchy read, sore spots where I applied it.

Lurid Library is now doing that to me. I seem to remember having a mild reation to Misk U a long time ago, so I've come to two conclusions:

Lurid Library had carnation in it (possible)

Lurid Library has something Misk U has (more than likely, given they are both "library" scents)

What's the best way of finding out exactly what this might be, so I can avoid it in future if necessary?

Email the lab. I had to do that with one of the new winter scents, as it sounded really good, but I'm DEATHLY allergic to cashew, and that's a listed note. Sadly, they apparently use the real stuff for this blend.

But seriously, just email them and they should be able to tell you if they have something in common and what it is. They don't want their customers getting sick from the product.

Thanks bloody sore, I shall do that. I've been actively avoiding carnation anyway, so I'd like to know if that was the culprit for sure, or if there's some other oil at fault.

i wanted to buy jester for a friend. she is allergic to coconut. is that going to be a problem? i know it's not listed as an ingredient, but what about carrier oils?

i wanted to buy jester for a friend. she is allergic to coconut. is that going to be a problem? i know it's not listed as an ingredient, but what about carrier oils?

I would definitely e-mail customer service for that one, TofuWarrior. The folks at the Lab are the only people who could have the definitive answer for that question. :P

I applied Queen of Sheba to the insides of my elbows today and developed a rash about 30 seconds later. Of the 12 scents I've tried, this is the only one that has affected me in this way.

Guess I'll stick to just running the wand through my hair. :D

"I have fairly sensitive skin but no allergies (that I know of) but the other day I applied Tokyo Stomp about 10 minutes after a bath & it burnt the crook of my elbow"_ Someone else

Just as a rule of thumb you should never apply any perfumed products to your inside of your elbows. The skin is extremely thin there, and the flesh is very delicate. I wouldn't apply perfume there anymore than I would *CERTAIN* other delicate areas. :P

:D

The only thing I've had a reaction to thus far is Saw Scaled Viper.

The area I put it on (back of my hand) went all red! But it wasn't itchy or sore.

I just noticed it about a minute after I put it on.

I don't have that reaction to Snake Oil, so I guess it's either the cassia, red ginger or cinnamon?

I don't have any reaction to Bengal and that has cinnamon in it doesn't it?

I really do love Saw Scaled Viper, but the redness has detoured me from using it much.

It smells better ON me than it does in the vial so I dunno what to do. :P

At least it's the only one I've had any reaction at all too though. So I guess I'm lucky there.

The area I put it on (back of my hand) went all red! But it wasn't itchy or sore.

I don't have that reaction to Snake Oil, so I guess it's either the cassia, red ginger or cinnamon?

I really do love Saw Scaled Viper, but the redness has detoured me from using it much.

It smells better ON me than it does in the vial so I dunno what to do. :P

At least it's the only one I've had any reaction at all too though. So I guess I'm lucky there.

It's quite likely to be the cassia/cinnamon, which often cause that kind of reaction. (They are close relatives and have a similar smell and similar effects.) I react to some things with cinnamon, including Saw Scaled Viper and Bengal, but there are other cassia/cinnamon-containing blends that I don't react to, like Gingerbread Poppet, Priala, and Death of Sardanapal. So it could just be an odd fluke that you haven't reacted to Bengal in the same way - maybe your skin will tolerate that level of cinnamon, but not the amount that's in Saw Scaled Viper.

Of course, it could also be the red ginger, but if that's the case you're lucky because it isn't in many blends - just War and a few LEs, as far as I know. Have you tried War (from the Good Omens collection)? It's very heavy on the red ginger.

I think Saw Scaled Viper is the new Inferno. (Inferno used to be the guaranteed skin scorcher... :D)

ClareN's theory about varying levels of cinnamon or cassia in different blends makes a lot of sense to me. :P It could definitely explain why you could wear certain blends with these spicy notes and others could give you redness and burning.

I have had some success diluting spicy blends - Bengal and Al Sharain both gave me the dreaded cinnamon/cassia welts, so I diluted each by about a third with jojoba oil in roller bottles and it seems to have done the trick.

I'd advise doing this with a small amount and testing it on yourself a few times before diving in and diluting an entire 5 ml bottle - once you've diluted an oil, it is not kosher to swap or sell it on the secondary market. (Basically, it falls under the same rules about swapping or selling a product made with BPAL - you've literally made a new product, 66% Strength Bengal for example.)

Another option for wearing spicy blends can be to make yourself a lotion with them - they are usually quite strong scents, so an imp's worth in 8 ounces of unscented lotion can dilute it enough that it doesn't irritate your skin but you can still enjoy the scent. Another thing to experiment with in small scale first, make a teeny amount and test it on a small area of skin before applying it with abandon.

And there's always the scent locket or the room scent option.

But if you suspect at all that you are actually experiencing an allergic reaction rather than the kind of sensitivity to "hot" spice notes people have described, cross these ideas off your list and swap that oil away, pronto. What Myotis described sounds like the classic reaction, although I also get a little burning in addition to turning red where I have applied something spicy - but itching, hives, welts that spread beyond the spot where you applied the oil, are all indicators of an allergy.

It smells better ON me than it does in the vial so I dunno what to do. ;)

It's quite likely to be the cassia/cinnamon, which often cause that kind of reaction. (They are close relatives and have a similar smell and similar effects.) I react to some things with cinnamon, including Saw Scaled Viper and Bengal, but there are other cassia/cinnamon-containing blends that I don't react to, like Gingerbread Poppet, Priala, and Death of Sardanapal. So it could just be an odd fluke that you haven't reacted to Bengal in the same way - maybe your skin will tolerate that level of cinnamon, but not the amount that's in Saw Scaled Viper.

Of course, it could also be the red ginger, but if that's the case you're lucky because it isn't in many blends - just War and a few LEs, as far as I know. Have you tried War (from the Good Omens collection)? It's very heavy on the red ginger.

Nope, haven't tried War. But it's on my wishlist. hehehehhe so maybe I'll find out some day.

I think Saw Scaled Viper is the new Inferno. (Inferno used to be the guaranteed skin scorcher... :D)

ClareN's theory about varying levels of cinnamon or cassia in different blends makes a lot of sense to me. :P It could definitely explain why you could wear certain blends with these spicy notes and others could give you redness and burning.

I have had some success diluting spicy blends - Bengal and Al Sharain both gave me the dreaded cinnamon/cassia welts, so I diluted each by about a third with jojoba oil in roller bottles and it seems to have done the trick.

I'd advise doing this with a small amount and testing it on yourself a few times before diving in and diluting an entire 5 ml bottle - once you've diluted an oil, it is not kosher to swap or sell it on the secondary market. (Basically, it falls under the same rules about swapping or selling a product made with BPAL - you've literally made a new product, 66% Strength Bengal for example.)

Another option for wearing spicy blends can be to make yourself a lotion with them - they are usually quite strong scents, so an imp's worth in 8 ounces of unscented lotion can dilute it enough that it doesn't irritate your skin but you can still enjoy the scent. Another thing to experiment with in small scale first, make a teeny amount and test it on a small area of skin before applying it with abandon.

And there's always the scent locket or the room scent option.

But if you suspect at all that you are actually experiencing an allergic reaction rather than the kind of sensitivity to "hot" spice notes people have described, cross these ideas off your list and swap that oil away, pronto. What Myotis described sounds like the classic reaction, although I also get a little burning in addition to turning red where I have applied something spicy - but itching, hives, welts that spread beyond the spot where you applied the oil, are all indicators of an allergy.

I didn't have any reaction to Inferno either. Very strange!

Although a good friend of mine certainly did...she got all red, sore, bumpy, burning and itchy where she had applied it. Even the backs of her hands were affected if she put it there!

Thankfully I haven't had that experience thus far. *knocks on wood/head* :D

Thanks for the diluting advice! I'll have to try that out! :)

I would definitely e-mail customer service for that one, TofuWarrior. The folks at the Lab are the only people who could have the definitive answer for that question. :P

good thinking. i might be cheeky and ask for a list of 'safe' scents :D

I had a really bad reaction to just sniffing SVADHINAPATIKA. I can't find the ingredient list. Does any one know what's in this? It's extremely important I not be exposed to whatever it was again.

I emailed customer service, but while I am waiting for a reply, does anyone know off hand what oils, other than Diwali, have mango oil in them?

I am very, very allergic to it and I have a bunch of imps that I have been trying each day, but I really don't want to end up covering myself in something that's going to send me to the hospital! :P

I emailed customer service, but while I am waiting for a reply, does anyone know off hand what oils, other than Diwali, have mango oil in them?

I am very, very allergic to it and I have a bunch of imps that I have been trying each day, but I really don't want to end up covering myself in something that's going to send me to the hospital! :P

GCs: Kuang Shi, The Dodo, Tweedledum. LEs: Fruit Moon, Mi-go nBrain Canister, Corazon and Diwali. That's just for scents with listed notes. Obviously the Lab should be able to steer you clear of any scents with unlisted notes.

I was wondering if anyone else has had an allergy problem with the chocolate scents? I put on some Dreamland the other morning. A few hours later I receiver Candy Butcher in the mail and put that on too. I was fine until I used Candy Butcher. About an hour later I started wheezing and developed a sore throat. FOUR days later my tonsils are still swollen. My doctor isn't sure if it's my allergies or a virus but I tested negative for strep throat so that's out of the question. Could it be the Candy Butcher? I also had prpblems wearing Black Pearl and The Winter of our Discontent. Does anyone know if these have ingredients in common?

Edited by xXxPinkadoodlexXx

I had a really bad reaction to just sniffing SVADHINAPATIKA. I can't find the ingredient list. Does any one know what's in this? It's extremely important I not be exposed to whatever it was again.

The listed notes of Svadhinaopatika are golden amber, oude, red sandalwood, massoia bark, honey, and currant, although there could also be other ingredients that aren't listed. Have you ever had that sort of reaction to another BPAL, or anything else? And have you tried any other BPALs with any of those notes? If you've previously tried another BPAL with, say, honey, and it didn't cause that reaction, that might mean that honey isn't the culprit, which could help you narrow down the possibilities.

I was wondering if anyone else has had an allergy problem with the chocolate scents? I put on some Dreamland the other morning. A few hours later I receiver Candy Butcher in the mail and put that on too. I was fine until I used Candy Butcher. About an hour later I started wheezing and developed a sore throat. FOUR days later my tonsils are still swollen. My doctor isn't sure if it's my allergies or a virus but I tested negative for strep throat so that's out of the question. Could it be the Candy Butcher? I also had prpblems wearing Black Pearl and The Winter of our Discontent. Does anyone know if these have ingredients in common?

Black Pearl - Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk

The Candy Butcher - Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

The Winter of Our Discontent - balsam, myrrh, mandarin orange, bitter clove, artemesia (wormwood), rosewood, nutmeg, dark musk, smoke and cypress.

Not a single note in common. Do you have known allergies to any of these? If nothing else, you now have a list you can take to an allergist and ask to be tested for.