Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

Cordelia is the only scent that has set me on fire so far. I think it was the cinnamon in it that gave me that oh so unpleasant burning sensation. Even diluting it with carrier oil had no effect on the burning. I have to wear that one exclusively in a scent locket.

why not try a bit of jojoba as a carrier oil to dilute it slightly?

Do you think that would help? I'd been assuming, for whatever reason, that I was allergic to the oils and that no matter what the concentration it would be a problem.

I put Tarot: The World on last night. I loved the smell but my skin literally turned red the moment I applied the little wand-y thing. I'm kind of chicken about using it, and the others I have this reaction to, even with a carrier oil...

i am not certain if you are allergic to anything or if the concentration of the oils is too strong. so that is why i was wondering if you had tried a carrier oil ... perhaps it wouldn't be so strong then ... i only use essential oils so am not familiar with fragrance oils, but i know that the spice eos such as cinnamon and clove are very potent and can be a terrible skin irritant. as a matter of fact most essential oils are not meant to be applied to the skin neat, but diluted ... to more like a few drops to a tbs or so of carrier oil or as someone said unscented lotion.

Oddly enough, I had the same burning/redness this morning when I put on Tarot - The Star. I've worn it before, and it's never burned or turned red. It stopped burning after a few minutes, but I'm still slightly red. I have no idea what might be causing it, because I can't smell any cinnamon (which is really the only thing I've reacted to before).

Inferno caused much, much pain.  :D :D :D :D Oh how it hurt...so badly... (see avatar)

lol!! (at your avatar, not your burn :P )

Hmm, I thought I already replied to this thread.

Snake Oil turned my skin quite red wherever I applied it. I've had rather good luck though, as all of my very favorite perfumes don't irritate my skin. I'm guessing that if Snake Oil has cinnamon in it, then cinnamon's the culprit.

Edited by tart

It's really strange -- I can handle cinnamon, clove, pennyroyal, peppermint, and saffron with no problems whatsoever.

But something in the rose oils makes me itch and/or get the red welts that everyone else complains about with cinnamon and the like. I think I'm allergic to roses -- pity.

For those of you looking for an unscented lotion to mix your oil with...

I use plain ole Aveeno Unscented lotion. The oatmeal in it calms any itching and it's not greasy.

If I have a burny BPAL oil, I'll put a little on my palm, add a squirt of Aveeno from the pump bottle, mix in my hand, and rub into the "tougher" areas...like my elbows and knees.

For those of you looking for an unscented lotion to mix your oil with...

I use plain ole Aveeno Unscented lotion. The oatmeal in it calms any itching and it's not greasy.

If I have a burny BPAL oil, I'll put a little on my palm, add a squirt of Aveeno from the pump bottle, mix in my hand, and rub into the "tougher" areas...like my elbows and knees.

I do this too. I used to use Eucerin, but that lotion is so thick, the perfume oil doesn't get anywhere at all. Aveeno is wonderful.

Hamadryad bit me as well, which is a horrid shame because I love it so much. So is the consensus if you mix it with unscented lotion or carrier oil it won't react so badly? Is it just a suggestion or has it worked for any of you? I got big red burning patches where I first applied it, and they faded maybe after an hour.

I find that the extra-dry is really, really loose. Not thick at ALL.

I get minorly bit by almost anything. I haven't had any major reactions *knock on wood*, but everything gives me a little burn.

Hamadryad bit me as well, which is a horrid shame because I love it so much.  So is the consensus if you mix it with unscented lotion or carrier oil it won't react so badly? Is it just a suggestion or has it worked for any of you?  I got big red burning patches where I first applied it, and they faded maybe after an hour.

With Snake Oil, applying it in a concentrated spot (not mixed with lotion or anything) was pretty sure to give me a rash within a couple of hours. Mixing with lotion helped to disperse the scent so my skin wouldn't have one really bad reaction spot. Wearing Snake Oil with lotion for several days in a row eventually made my skin mad too, however.

For those of you who have an oil that doesn't burn one day, but then burns the next...

Are you applying the oil right after getting out of a hot shower? Open pores could be an issue.

Just a thought.

The other thing is, if it's just one oil and you can't figure it out, wait it out and try it again later. Sometimes it's just something new and you have to get used to it.

I got the horridest rash when I put on single note coconut, and was pretty miserable and itchy and burning, but I rode it out and 20 minutes later I felt better (still a bit itchy, though). The next day I said 'screw it, I love how this smells, I can deal with the itch' and lo and behold, the itch was minimal. And a few weeks later I have no problems at all with it.

This may seem like a strange question...I'm allergic to saffron in that I can't eat it. Never tried wearing it on my skin, but I was wondering if anyone thought I'd have a problem with wearing it since I've got some Scherezade coming to me quite soon. :P

It's not like it'll kill me or anything, just make me break out in hives. I figure it's worth a shot to try and wear it, but I'd like to be forewarned. Just in case...because I'm one of those people who'll deliberately touch a hot plate right after you tell them it's scalding hot just to see how hot it really was. :D

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

~ Penance

I suppose it would depend upon how strong your allergy is. Best bet? Have a benadryl on hand JUST in case!

Good idea. :P

I'm just waiting for someone to laugh at me if I do end up looking like a pepperoni pizza...it'll be my own damn fault. Will I never learn? :D

Thanks for the input!

~ Penance

Hmmm... I'd say try it but keep some calamine lotion and Benadryl on hand. I love roses, the color, the scent -- but the pollen and the oils make me itch/burn. And I'm sensitive to milk, apples and oranges in food, but I have no problems whatsoever wearing them as perfumes. I guess it's just going to depend on your body's tolerances.

I'm hoping that it won't hurt me wearing it in perfume, I hate note being able to eat it...I love paella. :D :P

I guess I'll find out soon enough. If you hear me screaming bloody murder all the way here on the boards, you'll know all did not go according to plan. :D

~ Penance

I'm hoping that it won't hurt me wearing it in perfume, I hate note being able to eat it...I love paella. :D :P

I've seen some paella recipes that don't have saffron in them -- they substitute a combination of, of all things, curry powder and cinnamon. I'll try to find you one of them, if I can.

Ooh, sounds good. Thank you! :D

I found out the hard way that I was allergic to saffron when I went to Spain on vacation...kind of ruined the whole trip coming down with a horrendous case of hives my first day there. :P

Ooh, sounds good.  Thank you! :D

I found out the hard way that I was allergic to saffron when I went to Spain on vacation...kind of ruined the whole trip coming down with a horrendous case of hives my first day there.  :P

There's no guarantee that I'll find them again, but... I'll try. :D

Man, that would suck. It would be like me going to California and finding out I'm allergic to lettuce, beans, and tomatoes. *twitch* I would die.

Well, even if you don't, it's the thought that counts and it's appreciated. :D

LOL, I know...just my luck, huh? Talk about putting a damper on the fun. :P

Another thought, benadryl and such aside, would be to wash it off instantly if you feel it start to burn. And I've read so many wonderful ideas about scent lockets and such on this forum that, even if you can't have that oil on your skin, you may well indeed be able to enjoy the fragrance. It's a thought anyway!

BPAL Public Service Announcement:

If you have any doubts about whether or not you'll have an allergic reaction -- no matter how mild -- please do not use the scent.

I just can't think of any other explanation -- whenever I wear Snake Oil (especially if I slather it on, like I did last night), my throat closes up and my gums feel tender and sensitive.

At first (that is, a long while back), I thought it was just BPAL in general that did it to me -- that something about wearing strong scents caused me to have a reaction. But it hasn't happened in a long time, and when I had the reaction with Snake Oil last night (the first time I'd worn it in ages), I started to think it was Snake-Oil specific.

Waahhh! Has this happened to anyone else?? And I wonder what in Snake Oil I possibly could be allergic to? I don't have a problem with any other vanillary/sugary/spicy scents.

:P

I have a similar problem with Kabuki, only mine is I break out upon application (sad thing is is that I LOVE the smell of it! Maybe I can dilute it to help with it since it's just topical). Maybe there is something in Snake Oil that isn't listed that you're allergic to? Are there any other scents that make you feel this way? What are you allergic to?

~eclecticaura~

Edited by eclecticaura