Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

Yep. This is all of the water based scents: Lightning, Tears (ironically enough had me in allergic tears), Hurricane, etc. Pity, because I *love* the way that Tears and Lightning smell.

hey kids,

i will eventually be making my much-hyped (but tiny) first order, and i thought it would be nice to throw in a scent for my mum. i'll just shoot off her scent preferences and maybe someone with similar taste (or similar relatives) will have some suggestions...

loves:

perfumes- chanel no 5, chanel allure, boucheron, bulgari, giorgio :P aqua di gio, estee lauder pleasures, and in a pinch body shop's white musk

bath stuff- lush hollywood, bathos and harvey, crabtree and evelyn's freesia

hates:

one-dimensional foody or fruity smells (you'd never catch her in a pure vanilla oil)

so basically, i guess i'm looking for a fairly sophisticated but very feminine floral.

any suggestions?

thanks! :D

Here are a couple of scents that I love that might fit her...

Old Paris ~ Sensual, decadent, and enigmatic. Lavender, softly underscored by lotus and spice.

Old New Orleans ~ Reminiscent of hothouse blooms on a humid night, ripe, but touched with decay. Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice.

Queen Mab is very pretty and works on a lot of people. Xiutechutli (I think that's close) smelled Chanel-y when I put it on, but I think that might have been something weird about me, because none of the reviews look even close to that.

thanks for the suggestions fairywingmaker and shadow,

my expert enabling has actually convinced her to try a couple of scents. she's thinking about the ones you mentioned, and a couple of others i thought she might like based on the description (old venice?)

she's particularly interested in old new orleans and queen mab (and luckily, so am i :P )

For something like Bulgari, if it's the one in the yellow bottle, have her consider either Old Venice or Ave Maria Gratia Plena. I think Old Venice is a little closer in notes but it's more heady and a little sharper than Bulgari whereas the Ave Maria Gratia Plena is closer to the fresh feeling and complexity of Bulgari.

Darkness reminded me of Channel No 5. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the other scents your mom likes but Xiuhtecuhtli is a gorgeous floral that smelled like Gucci Rush to me and Midnight is a very creamy floral.

Good job with the enabling!

I am familiar with all of those scents, and at one time wore Pleasures and Body Shop White Musk. As such, I think your mom would love Zephyr. It is white flowers with a touch of lemon verbena and white musk.

Edited by Scylla

old venice, ave maria gratia plena and zephyr are definitely going on the list, then. queen mab sounds like it would be fabulous. old morocco's on a different list, since i'm getting that for me. :D

i'd love to try queen of spades, but for this order i have to stick to imps due to lack of funds. sigh.

oh, and i'm not sure how i feel about my mother walking around wearing something called wanton.... :D

thanks so much for your help, guys. :P we're going to sit down tomorrow and straighten out our order.

Magdalene

Queen Mab

Old Morocco

Xiu-whatsit :P

Regan

All of which are very lovely. I might also agree with Pele, if she likes florals. I'm not much able to suggest the rose blends, as they hate me. Or rather, they love me too much.

more great suggestions!

thanks TygherRayn! regan and magdalene both sound lovely, although i'm afraid xiutecuhtli might be a bit too incense-y for mum (we might save that for next order)

she'll probably end up with a rosey imp as well...maybe spellbound....which gets thumbs up from almost everyone *except* you :P

Here's a strange one for you - I'm wildly allergic to Hecate. everywhere I put it turned bright red and itchy almost on contact. I'm not allergic to almonds, I've definitely worn musks before (including Beth's), but I have no idea about myrrh. Does anyone know if there's anything else in there that could be causing my reaction?

Yep, me too...with one of the tarot blends. I think it was The Fool, if that's the one with all of the mint. Mint and lavender do me in....mint becuase it makes me sneeze, and lavender because it gives me an immediate headache. Which is kind of odd, considering it's traditionally supposed to soothe headaches.

Jolly Roger caused my sinuses to swell shut. Pity, too, I was totally in love with him!

Something in Tintagel caused the spot on my arm to turn bright red & raised a bump. I decided it was best to not try it again.

Have you tried using one of the carrier oils? I cannot wear any of the cinnamon scents without mixing it with some of Beth's jojoba first and my mother just plain likes to dilute everything.

Edited by viciousviolet

I have allergic reactions to the strangest things. For example, I got bumps all up and down the insides of my arms when I wore Gluttony, I got the same bumps the second time I wore Red Moon, and I've had it happen with one or two other oils (essentially at random). I also know that the one time I put a dab of Katharina on my throat, it turned into a blood red streak that my boyfriend could not stop commenting on. However, I have worn other oils with similar ingredients, and have had no problem. I am debating whether or not its simply the strength of the concentrated oil against my sensitive skin. I would get some jojoba oil to dilute the blends, but I have no larger bottles to pour a diluted mix into, and in some ways, I feel as if I'd be ruining the perfume.

Blah, perhaps I should just suffer through it. It's not as if I can pinpoint specific ingredients that are causing the problem.

Hemlock causes a little bit of swelling in my sinuses and some sneezes, but I love it, so I keep wearing it. I know...crazy. It's called masochism.

I've only had one order to sample (12 oils), and I noticed that a few of them gave me headaches.

Chimera, Fae, Glitter, Unseelie - and to a small degree, Nyx.

I'm trying to narrow it down. Chimera and Nyx both contain myrrh, while Fae and Glitter both contain heliotrope. There aren't any specific notes listed for Unseelie, so that doesn't help.

I can tell you one thing, there is nothing more disappointing than having a wonderful scent give you a headache. :P

Received my second order of imps yesterday, and after a marathon sniffing spree of all 24 imps (I couldn't help myself!! :P ) I decided to try Follow Me Boy first. I applied it to wrist, neck and cleavage as I usually do, and then something strange happened. YEOW!! I barely got the imp closed before I was running to wash if off of my cleavage. It burned like crazy, but only in that one spot. Very strange. Has anyone else ever had a burning sensation from any of the oils? I tried doing a search on this subject without much luck.

Ack!! I just wish I knew what notes are in "Follow Me Boy" so I could figure out what I might be sensitive to. Ah, well. At least I can still wear it on my wrist and neck, which is good, because it really is a lovely scent. My unskilled nose is still trying to figure this beauty out before I review it. :D

Edited by Countrymouse

The cinnamon in Inferno causes sensitive welts to raise up on my skin for a short while (does that stop me from wearing it? hell no! :P) - is there cinnamon in Follow me Boy?

I accidentally got Chimera on my lip once---no, I wasn't trying to drink the oil, I swear!---and, like your experience, it really, REALLY hurt. I can wear it on the rest of me, though, without problems, so it's not really a big deal.

If you still want to perfume your cleavage, you might want to try mixing a little Follow Me Boy into some unscented lotion and using that instead. It won't be as strong, thus it will not irritate so much, or, likely at all. :P

The cinnamon in Inferno causes sensitive welts to raise up on my skin for a short while (does that stop me from wearing it? hell no! :P) - is there cinnamon in Follow me Boy?

I don't smell any cinnamon in it. "Follow Me Boy" is one of the Voodoo Blends, so there's no listing of the notes in the description. The only thing I know of that I would be sensitive to is pine, so I've avoided anything with that note in it. But I don't smell any pine in this either.

If you still want to perfume your cleavage, you might want to try mixing a little Follow Me Boy into some unscented lotion and using that instead.  It won't be as strong, thus it will not irritate so much, or, likely at all.  :P

Oh, now that's a good idea! I've been wanting to try putting BPAL into an unscented lotion, so this will be the perfect one to start with. Thank you. :D

yesterday I put All night long (also Voodoo blend) and although it didn't actualy burn, everywhere i applied it left red hot circles.

That made me wonder.....

*whispers* should it be applied somewhere else than on the skin :D :D :D :evil: :D

I am thinking along the lines of Viacreme?

And NO, i am not going to try, it's just a question! :P